Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • milann
    • By milann 18th Jan 16, 11:00 PM
    • 1,392Posts
    • 6,048Thanks
    milann
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way.......
    • 18th Jan 16, 11:00 PM
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way....... 18th Jan 16 at 11:00 PM
    Been on these forums for some time now...........good intentions of being debt free and at target weight keep coming .....and going......and life just keeps getting in the way!!!

So it's time for a new diary to help keep me on track and push the excuses behind me and JUST DO IT....

My debt is down to £2,500 and if I'd have shaped myself I could have had it cleared but I didn't so I need to do that pronto......
    My car was written off in November so I need to do something about getting mobile again, I'm wary of getting a rust bucket as I've had money pits in the past but the cash the insurance company paid out will only get a heap again and I refuse to get finance till I've cleared off the 2 and a half grand.......

I've gone a bit (lot) mad and really splashed out on a weekend away for combined Christmas and birthday pressie for dh...... never paid so much to for a weekend away before but we're going to a concert. It's not until June so I have to save for that too.

SO this week I will
    1. Do storecupboard challenge
    2. Keep spending diary
    3. Follow Slimming World plan to get back to target 6LB to go - then I don't need to pay

Wish me luck on this last leg..............
Page 6
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Jul 17, 3:02 PM
    • 48,555 Posts
    • 178,769 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sorry to read this Milan.
    Take care of you xx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 9th Jul 17, 9:24 PM
    • 1,392 Posts
    • 6,048 Thanks
    milann
    Well my wrist is a lit better as lots more bruising has come out - it's still sore and I can't lift anything heavy but I suspect it's just fleshy tissue damage. The swelling on my face has gone down a lot but lol I look like I've done 10 rounds with Mike Tyson!
    My knee however is hot, still very swollen, numb and the best shades of deep purple and deep red I've seen in a long time. ive had bumps like this in the past but it's niggling me as everyone around me is panicking when they see it so I looked up nhs choices which suggests it might be a bleed on the knee and to take a trip to a&e.... However I just can't face sitting and waiting for hours on end as it isn't life threatening and a Sunday evening too. Ive spent enough time in hospital recently.So I've promised my dh I'll sit with it up and if it's still the same tomorrow I will go then, I might ring docs to see what they say.I'm hoping once the proper bruising starts to come out it'll sort itself. It certainly doesn't feel as if anything is broken (I've had enough breaks to know the difference) and I can walk on it and there are no red infection lines - plus I only finished over 2 weeks strong antibiotics on Friday so they should still be in my system. I should be back in work tomorrow too - I'll have to go in but keep off my foot as long as I can.
    Enough of my moaning and feeling sorry for myself. It's been a beautiful day here and I've been sitting in the garden plotting and planning which work to do next.
    The gates are ordered and will be fitted in August and we are still waiting on my friend to say when he can decorate - can't wait.
    Not done too well on spends - bought a take away yesterday - I hardly ever do that but I just CBA and ordered some new clothes for my dh today - he's lost weight and his shorts kept falling down -LOL enough to put you off your ice cream. My weight has shot up too since I've been off work - my smaller trousers I bought last year are so uncomfortable BUT tomorrow is a new day - line drawn on spending and eating and diary needed for both. Got to get out of feeling bleugh and get my positive head back on!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Jul 17, 9:37 PM
    • 48,555 Posts
    • 178,769 Thanks
    beanielou
    Maybe it would be best if you dident go to work tomorrow.
    Take care.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 9th Jul 17, 10:30 PM
    • 4,706 Posts
    • 26,556 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Have you iced it?
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,389.12, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,055.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £90/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 8/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • milann
    • By milann 10th Jul 17, 5:07 PM
    • 1,392 Posts
    • 6,048 Thanks
    milann
    Yes I've iced it and taken anti inflamatories. It is still very swollen but the heat has gone from it - I've made an appointment at gp (mainly to stop dh and friend worrying) but since it's not an emergency it's a couple of weeks away.....so my reckoning is it'll either have sorted itself out by then and I can cancel or if it's still as swollen I can get it looked at. In between times if it goes worse and I can't walk on it I'll go to a&e....simples.

A good day spend wise and food wise. Only bought milk and food all accounted for in my sw diary ��
    • milann
    • By milann 25th Aug 17, 4:25 PM
    • 1,392 Posts
    • 6,048 Thanks
    milann
    How have so many weeks passed since I was last on here? How many years since I firs came on this site? - 10 - how did that happen.... Life still keeps throwing spanners in the works but I'm pleased to say my 0% card is no more. I'm down to my Mr T card which I usually try to pay off every month and just use it to collect points. However since I've done a bit of juggling and a bit of robbing Peter to pay Paul whilst paying 0% before the interest starts as it was at its end it is at £1,500 which will take me a couple of months to pay - but that is it I've learned so much and had support from some great folk over the last 10 years on this site. My end of debt is the closest its ever been and I've no intention of going down that long route ever again

Its been busy, busy, busy but feels like 2 steps forward 1 step back. I finally went to gps with m knee who sent me to x-ray telling me I'd probably fractured my patella - I told her it didn't feel like it - she smirked a silly smirk - well I was right - I knew I hadn't.....it is still swelling and numb and the bruise goes and then reappears like an old bruise. I haven't been back - the radiographer told me there were no fractures - suppose I should but not sure what they can do - it'll just be time healing it.

We've had the had the hall and landing re-plastered and painted and the through living/dining room painted and a new carpet fitted - I don't feel as if I'll ever be straight again though - the more I seem to de-clutter whilst putting everything back the more mess I seem to make. It just needs some finishing touches like cushions and I've got some material to cover the dining room chairs and i need to look for curtains.

We have been to Cornwall and got rid of the caravan - we didn't get anything for it though as it was so old but it was a free tow and dispose of - it was quite sad - the end of an era. From there we went to see dd and kids which was lovely.

My eating has gone completely out of the window and I'm very nearly back to where I was before I started slimming world. I hadn't realised what an emotional eater I am until this last month - my brother (my last remaining sibling - I lost a brother and sister to heart attacks several years ago) has been in hospital really poorly and had to heart surgery yesterday. He is currently in ICU but hopefully being transferred to an ordinary ward within the next day or so. And I've just eaten anything and everything.......

I'm just going with things at the moment though but once I'm in the right mindset I can get rid of this last bit on my cc - once I've done that I'll have proved I can do ANYTHING - 10 years ago I couldn't see an end to my debts - but I'm so nearly there and I've lived and done things and got through everything that life has thrown in my way
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 25th Aug 17, 7:13 PM
    • 48,555 Posts
    • 178,769 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope that your brother is on the mend really soon.
    Great news on the debt.
    You will be debt free by the end of the year.You will

• in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 25th Aug 17, 10:22 PM
    • 4,706 Posts
    • 26,556 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Positive wishes to you and your brother.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,389.12, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,055.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £90/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 8/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • milann
    • By milann 29th Aug 17, 8:52 AM
    • 1,392 Posts
    • 6,048 Thanks
    milann
    Brother doing ok. I went to see him yesterday back on ward, he has told he could be in about a month.
    I had a mega spending spree over the weekend getting bits for the house....it's coming together although im at the going round in circle
    stage of moving treasured bits and bobs (otherwise known as cr🤔P) from room to room. Today's task is to cover dining room chairs with new foam and material and try and clear the side in the kitchen which is piled high with said treasured possessions.......can't believe there's only a week of school holibobs left.....😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 I thought I'd have had everything sorted by 2nd week of hols.
    • milann
    • By milann 30th Aug 17, 1:29 PM
    • 1,392 Posts
    • 6,048 Thanks
    milann
    My dining room chairs are looking pretty good even though i say so myself- it took nearly all day as old staples in chairs didn't want to budge - I've used an orangey/browny/beigey tweed and I've hopefully got enough material left to cover the back of some ikea swivel chairs which are leather(ish) on the front but just plain black material on the back and sides, which is fading badly in the light but i love those chairs near my back doors - so a good £12 spent on material as its given a new lease of life to my furniture.The fun bit will be trying to re-cover said swivel chairs .......

Right time to finish my cuppa and go hospital visiting....... not very mse as I've been buying drinks and cakes to take too the ward for us to eat together.....but that's life.
    Last edited by milann; 30-08-2017 at 1:37 PM.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 30th Aug 17, 1:48 PM
    • 4,564 Posts
    • 26,736 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Good to see you back. Sorry to hear about your brother being so poorly but great news he's improving. Home improvements sound good, my kitchen and bathroom are finished and now it's on to the rest of the house, it's never ending!
    Virtual Sealed Pot £671.22
    November NSD 5/12
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • milann
    • By milann 30th Aug 17, 9:55 PM
    • 1,392 Posts
    • 6,048 Thanks
    milann
    Its endless Sun Addict - we started improvements as we had a lot of damp a year last Easter and every job we have done has had agro - flood under floorboards held everything up, workmen not showing, front door having to be cancelled as company tried to scam us, new company knocked plaster off living room wall when putting door in hall... but..... its very nearly done - I'm in the process of trying to pull it all back together and return and sort everything to former or new places

When I stop to think we have done well since we started -

we've had a new cooker (old one broke)
    New and extra air vents put in to prevent damp
    Outside walls treated to prevent damp penetrating
    New gutters
    Outside of house painted
    New front door
    New bathroom,
    New vertical blinds throughout
    I decorated our bedroom and had a new carpet,
    Plastered hall, had it painted and got new carpet,
    Had living/dining room painted and new carpet.
    Outside we have had new sheds,
    Dh has made new ramp for wheelchair access,
    Had artificial grass,
    Partially fenced back garden,
    Had new gate and railing at the side of the house.
    I've made curtains and recovered and restored bits and bobs of furniture and pulled in favours and exchanged skills from various friends and used ppi back payment to pay for it all.

Wow it's done me good to write that and see how much we've actually achieved as it seems 1 step forward 2 steps back at times. and feels as if I've been living in workmens mess or 15 months

Still to do - finish fencing outside,
    Empty and get of old shed.
    Make raised bed and small seating area where old shed was (got stone and using rubble we already have so just need mortar and compost)
    Chase workman up who is doing laminate flooring in hall (already got it)
    Put new bookcase up in hall and declutter books being ruthless!!
    Get curtain tracks and new curtains for living room (cheaper to alter ready made ones than make from scratch - odd shaped windows)
    Get new internal doors as none of the old ones close properly
    then DECLUTTER and THROW OUT JUNK - simples..................

All I need is another month of work to do it all - but back in on Monday - where have the holidays gone.............
    Last edited by milann; 31-08-2017 at 10:29 AM.
    • milann
    • By milann 31st Aug 17, 10:47 AM
    • 1,392 Posts
    • 6,048 Thanks
    milann
    Decant and de-clutter of the spare bedroom has already commences - as has de-cluttering kitchen cupboards......
    Ahhhhh - contents of the spare room where we have been chucking everything is now sprawled across landing and my bedroom - I'm just waiting for shelves to dry off before I go to put everything back....
    At the same time - contents of my glass cupboard are in the dishwasher and I've just wiped those cupboards out.
    Me thinks as usual I have started too many things at once LOL LOL LOL story of my life -but I have the house to myself today as dh is staying at his sisters.

His sister is in hospital undergoing investigations to see if she has some form of throat cancer and her husband is badly disabled with Parkinsons and has carers going out to hm several times a day but they couldn't get any night cover for him. Its all a bit of a mess really as I'm already committed to seeing my brother in hospital but brother in law cant be left overnight according to docs - however social services say its ok with the amount of carers he has going in during the daytime..........

It never rains but it pours - so I'm using the opportunity to make my little haven of my house as calm and ordered as it can be (I'll never be tidy as I like a lived in but clean home LOL LOL LOL) in the hope that if life gets in the way again and we end up doing even more hospital visits than we are now - I can come home - shut the door and forget about the things I have no control over - Thats he theory anyway

PLUS - I've spashed the cash so much recently - I need some cash free days.
    I need to gt back to work and get some routine in my days - don't WANT to but i NEED to

Enough procastinating - off I go till next choccy biccy break
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 31st Aug 17, 9:15 PM
    • 48,555 Posts
    • 178,769 Thanks
    beanielou
    Blimey things are a tad fraught.
    Hope they improve soon.
    Take care of you.

• milann
    • By milann 1st Sep 17, 11:50 AM
    • 1,392 Posts
    • 6,048 Thanks
    milann
    Well yesterday I sorted out spare room and put lots of things in their rightful places after all the work. Mmmmmm......the kitchen is a bit of a disaster area - a work in progress as I sort and declutter in there....
    LOL any ideas how to get dh to declutter his things - he just seems to colllect more and more stuff (junk) for his various hobbies.

We bought a new front and trim for the gas fire month and months ago when shop had a sale on......well I can find the front but no idea where the trims are........but wherever they are they're not in that room. Trouble is things have been moved so many time they could be ANYWHERE.....especially has dh has a habit of butting small things inside bigger boxes or bags for easy storage lol lol lol

Sister in law went in yesterday but she convinced them into letting her home late last night providing someone picked up - she insisted she would be ok once home and made dh come home as he had work today - so its just a waiting game to see what the verdict is.

Although I should carry on with the sorting I'm being a lady what lunches today with some friends before i go to see my brother. Hopefully brother can go home as soon as they get a care package together for him.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 1st Sep 17, 8:29 PM
    • 48,555 Posts
    • 178,769 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope you had a good lunch

• milann
    • By milann 3rd Sep 17, 9:16 PM
    • 1,392 Posts
    • 6,048 Thanks
    milann
    Lunch was a lovely afternoon tea - all beautifully fresh and served very prettily - BUT I missed my way when I came out of catering....should have set up a little afternoon tea business - jut short of £70 for 5 people. If the ingredients cost £20 I'll eat my hat. I know there are the overheads, premises and staff to take into account but there must be a massive mark-up AND that was at the cheapest end of the places we looked at. It was lovely meeting up with friends but deep down I was kicking myself because I knew I had a lot to do at home.

I've had a weekend off from visiting hospital as other folk were there - I'll go again tomorrow when his wife is working (although I'm working tomorrow morning the hospital is much closer and easier to get to from my house)

Yesterday myself and dh went to Wales a train show for a couple of hours and then onto Powys Castle, it was a lovely day and the gardens were amazing. On our way home we stopped at Chester and had tea - all in all a great day.

Today has been more de-cluttering. It doesn't look that much different as I have bags all over the show waiting to go to the charity shop. I need the man to come and put my laminate flooring down as that is stacked up in the kitchen, getting a tad fed up waiting for him. We also need an electrician to come out as dh was putting new lampshades in the hall and landing today and the lights won't switch on now..........1 step forward - 2 steps back as per the norm LOL

So tomorrow is back to work - ant believe the 5 week holiday is over - I'll get back into a healthy eating routine and knock spending on the head by keeping a diary of it all....LOL LOL LOL - I bet if I scroll through my old diaries I have put that the beginning of every September...
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Sep 17, 9:31 PM
    • 48,555 Posts
    • 178,769 Thanks
    beanielou
    Yes, afternoon teas are expensive.
    Best not to think about it TBH.
    Hope work is not to dire.
    Hope you get your flooring laid really soon.

• milann
    • By milann 4th Sep 17, 4:18 PM
    • 1,392 Posts
    • 6,048 Thanks
    milann
    Well work was ok - just a morning training. Children are in tomorrow - it could go either way as we're moving from infants to juniors and although we have done lots of prep there's no knowing how the little one I'm with will react to being back and lots of changes .....could be an interesting few weeks whilst re-adjustments take place lol.

Brother is going home today with care package in place.

A NSD so far and eating plan going well so far - long may it continue

Electrician has come to repair lights in hall and landing - dh was putting new shades on and nothing has worked since - hate to think how much that's going to cost..............
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Sep 17, 6:15 PM
    • 48,555 Posts
    • 178,769 Thanks
    beanielou
    Eeek to the electrician.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,278Posts Today

6,938Users online

Martin's Twitter