Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • milann
    • By milann 18th Jan 16, 11:00 PM
    • 1,345Posts
    • 5,883Thanks
    milann
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way.......
    • 18th Jan 16, 11:00 PM
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way....... 18th Jan 16 at 11:00 PM
    Been on these forums for some time now...........good intentions of being debt free and at target weight keep coming .....and going......and life just keeps getting in the way!!!

So it's time for a new diary to help keep me on track and push the excuses behind me and JUST DO IT....

My debt is down to £2,500 and if I'd have shaped myself I could have had it cleared but I didn't so I need to do that pronto......
    My car was written off in November so I need to do something about getting mobile again, I'm wary of getting a rust bucket as I've had money pits in the past but the cash the insurance company paid out will only get a heap again and I refuse to get finance till I've cleared off the 2 and a half grand.......

I've gone a bit (lot) mad and really splashed out on a weekend away for combined Christmas and birthday pressie for dh...... never paid so much to for a weekend away before but we're going to a concert. It's not until June so I have to save for that too.

SO this week I will
    1. Do storecupboard challenge
    2. Keep spending diary
    3. Follow Slimming World plan to get back to target 6LB to go - then I don't need to pay

Wish me luck on this last leg..............
Page 5
    • milann
    • By milann 28th Jun 17, 5:54 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 5,883 Thanks
    milann
    Feeling very blessed - a friend called round yesterday and took me to Morrisons - she offered to do shopping for me but it was good to get out with her and put the world to rights as we shopped
    My ds came round this morning and took me out for breakfast then 2 ladies I used to work with came round later for a cuppa.
    Lol then I crashed out this afternoon and feel as if I've done a weeks work.
    Dh is not noted for his quick decision making and to progress outside with the work we re doing we need some side gates to make things secure.Now B&M do some which will cost just over 100 for our house and he has been deliberating if they are good enough and if he can make them fit- this has Been going on for weeks- so yesterday I got someone to come out and measure £1010 for gates granted they are much superior but somehow I think he'll decide B&M are good enough and he WILL make them fit
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 28th Jun 17, 6:11 PM
    • 46,576 Posts
    • 165,649 Thanks
    beanielou
    What lovely friends you have Milan~~Just like you
    Take care xx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 28th Jun 17, 6:23 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 5,883 Thanks
    milann
    Aw thank you Beanie.
    I need to shape myself and finish some cardigans I'm making for my granddaughters. I've done the baby one but bigger one isn't as straightforward - I'm using a knitting pattern measurements and adapting into same crochet stitch as little one. One time I'd have done it easy peasy but I've just not been able to concentrate - I'll give it another go tomorrow.
    Want to do a bit of pottering in the garden too if the rain ever stops. I'm pacing myself and will do about 10 minutes then rest but got to keep focused.
    • milann
    • By milann 29th Jun 17, 3:04 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 5,883 Thanks
    milann
    Plasterer is on his last leg - I'm hoping he'll finish today and not run into tomorrow. The hall looks so different already - getting giddy thinking of it with paint on - just white but it's been stripped down to bare, damp plaster over a year now. I've just got to wait on a friend to come and paint it once it's dried out properly - I did his wedding cake for him so trade off of skills

after telling dh how much the made to measure gates were yesterday, he says he'll go to B&M at weekend to get some. They are the same as B&Q but £40 cheaper and 10 times cheaper literally than made to measure.

Finally feel as though things are moving on after being at a standstill for what seems forever.

Then it's knock the old shed down before it falls down and reclaim the patch where the shed was into half raised bed - that'll only cost a bag of cement as we have the stone to build the wall and half seating area,
    then a lick of paint around the living areas and new carpet which might have to wait a couple of months..... Simples.....

Cardigan progressing nicely - will finish in next couple of days and get in post to granddaughters.

Feeling chuffed as I paid my cc in full and being off work has curbed my spending so I can make some extra payments to my 0% card at the end of the month . I don't envisage any big spends next month - blimey - I've well and truly tempted fate with that statement!!! Feeling good
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 29th Jun 17, 8:14 PM
    • 4,039 Posts
    • 21,185 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Great to read things are progressing nicely
    Virtual Sealed Pot £424.05
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • milann
    • By milann 29th Jun 17, 9:46 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 5,883 Thanks
    milann
    Plasterer didn't finish but tomorrow should be the last day.
    Just had a message from someone I worked with many moons ago so she is picking me up and going for a coffee tomorrow. I could get used to this life LOL. I walked around to Morrisons this evening and back - a less Than a 5 minute walk - I only carried a box of teabags and had to sit down for the rest of the evening - felt as though I'd done a marathon!!! At lest I know his should only be a temporary blip and I'll be fighting fit again before much longer. Makes me appreciate my health(despite a few glitches along the way)
    Night night off to bed
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 30th Jun 17, 7:23 PM
    • 46,576 Posts
    • 165,649 Thanks
    beanielou
    Take it easy
    All sounding good

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 2nd Jul 17, 2:31 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 5,883 Thanks
    milann
    Went out for a little car ride yesterday to look at local carpet shop then to B&Q to check the paper I've had my eye on for months would match carpet I like It's a good job we went as there were only a few rolls left. We needed 4 and they had 3 with matching batch numbers and a few odd ones so we took a chance ... We were visiting sister in law later so went in her local shop and found matching code so swapped the odd code. The best was they were all reduced from £14 a roll to £5 a roll. One happy lady here.... It's not a paper I'd normally go for a bit 70s retro with big burnt orange poppies on. Beige /light brown speckled carpet will go down eventually and either brown or burnt orange curtains - it will remind me of my teenage years at home lol. Really looking forward to seeing the finished product - just got to wait for painter friend - I'm so tempted to start myself but just haven't got the energy at the moment... Must learn to be patient .
    Dh still deliberating about the gates outside -
    • milann
    • By milann 3rd Jul 17, 2:11 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 5,883 Thanks
    milann
    So I've got some decisions to make...... Cheaper gates are not going to fit properly without it looking like a dogs dinner plus dh cursing whilst he is trying his best to make them fit. So we can manage to pay for carpet or fitted gates...... Gates weren't on original agenda and the side of the house has been open for years but there have been people hanging around at night. I know a fence will not deter someone who is intent on getting in but it might make someone go for an easier option...... Carpet is well past its best and really getting me down as it never looks clean - even after I hired a rug doctor which usually brings it up beautifully. I'm playing with the idea of getting carpet on cc and transferring it to 0% along with my older 0% I'd sworn I wouldn't do it but I've had some great offers through and I won't mess about but divide the balance into however many months 0% I get and pay this from the outset.... Pondering...... Does me no good being at home as I think too much lol.....off to do some number crunching or maybe buy a lottery ticket.....
    Feeling much better today - I've declutted some drawers, flicked a duster round and even hoovered.
    Milann
    • milann
    • By milann 3rd Jul 17, 4:41 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 5,883 Thanks
    milann
    Lol I've just been reading my 1st ever diary on here over 9 years ago lol lol
    I was so determined - I owed over 5 grand at the time. I've been so close to being debt free and am now just over 1 1/5 grand because in between I've had a loan and transferred to 0% a couple of times. Don't believe how much I've messed about.
    Right need to plan some no spend days like I used to and start doing a spending diary again. I will sort my carpet dilemma one way or another....
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 3rd Jul 17, 5:52 PM
    • 4,436 Posts
    • 24,802 Thanks
    in need of direction
    have you signed up for free postcode lottery? someone has to win
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £81,750.18, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £3,975.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5.5k & £200 cash.
    Current weight loss 1/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • milann
    • By milann 3rd Jul 17, 5:53 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 5,883 Thanks
    milann
    So 2 NSD in a row. Diary at the ready to record spends. Wish I was techie and could post things on flea bay but I wouldn't know where to begin......
    • milann
    • By milann 3rd Jul 17, 5:55 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 5,883 Thanks
    milann
    We must have crossed posts NOD - no I haven't will look into that - thanks
    • milann
    • By milann 4th Jul 17, 10:40 AM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 5,883 Thanks
    milann
    Made my decision - have ordered the gate and will order the carpet tomorrow- the shop is going to hold it until we are ready and decorating is finished and doesn't want any cash up front as we are old valued customers lol lol lol... Gates could take 4 to 5 weeks too. So it's tighten the belts and be as frugal as a frugal thing can be until then. See how much we can pay and a bit of jiggling here and there and fingers crossed nothing puts a spanner in the works......
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Jul 17, 1:34 PM
    • 46,576 Posts
    • 165,649 Thanks
    beanielou
    Yeh.Go you

• milann
    • By milann 5th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 5,883 Thanks
    milann
    Oops yesterday didn't go to plan. I went to see my brother who was worried as I'd been ill but he is in a far worse state with a long term illness and disability, so I decided to go and see him and put his mind at rest - That cost me just short of a tenner in travelling expenses on the way home I called to my sons who has been having a lot of repairs done to his house and he treated us to tea at ikea in return for looking at some houses things with him.. I ended up spending £40 on storage boxes - I will need them in a few weeks time after the hall has been painted and we have shelving put up..... I've got no will power at all!!!
    I had a lovely day though but am shattered now.
    • milann
    • By milann 7th Jul 17, 5:58 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 5,883 Thanks
    milann
    Went to see an old neighbour today who recently moved into a care home with another neighbour. We called for a drink on our way home and I had 1 glass of wine. A few steps out of the pub and my ankle gave way - right in front of a line of queuing traffic- I hit the ground with a right thud catching my cheekbone on the floor - so I'm now the proud owner of a fantastic shiner - it's going to cover most of my eye and side of my face by the time it finishes coming out. I've also got sore wrists a swollen ankle and fantastically shaped knee which looks like it's grown another knee . I'm sitting feeling very sorry for myself with ice packs on and off the various bits of me.... Should have had more wine as I wouldn't have felt it........... Felt a right wally falling outside the pub bet the people in the car thought I was drunk. And I had sensible shoes and my inserts in!!! My joints are going worse!

Lol I'm going to look great going back to work on Monday.......
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Jul 17, 8:49 PM
    • 46,576 Posts
    • 165,649 Thanks
    beanielou
    Oh milan.
    I so feel for you.
    Take care of you.

• milann
    • By milann 8th Jul 17, 9:53 AM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 5,883 Thanks
    milann
    Beanie it must really be tough falling as often as you do - my ankle gives way lots but it's been a nearly a year since I ended up in a&e last. My friend wanted to call an ambulance yesterday but it didn't feel as if anything was broken so we ended up getting a taxi home. I've got some impressive bruising and swellings though...... It's making me apprehensive about going out so it must be so tough when you fall as often as you do. I take me hat off to you lovely lady Saying that if my wrist doesn't improve in the next day or so I'll head to the docs - only got a small bruise on the inside of my wrist where I'd put my arm out to save myself but I can't lift anything with it. Oh hum - like I say 1 day things will be straight forward but just not today lol
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 8th Jul 17, 9:02 PM
    • 4,039 Posts
    • 21,185 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Oh milann Hope you're feeling less sore tonight, if not you must get it checked. Mr SA is constantly having falls, his knee gives way a lot.

Take care xx
    Virtual Sealed Pot £424.05
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,670Posts Today

8,056Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin