Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • milann
    • By milann 18th Jan 16, 11:00 PM
    • 1,345Posts
    • 5,883Thanks
    milann
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way.......
    • 18th Jan 16, 11:00 PM
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way....... 18th Jan 16 at 11:00 PM
    Been on these forums for some time now...........good intentions of being debt free and at target weight keep coming .....and going......and life just keeps getting in the way!!!

So it's time for a new diary to help keep me on track and push the excuses behind me and JUST DO IT....

My debt is down to £2,500 and if I'd have shaped myself I could have had it cleared but I didn't so I need to do that pronto......
    My car was written off in November so I need to do something about getting mobile again, I'm wary of getting a rust bucket as I've had money pits in the past but the cash the insurance company paid out will only get a heap again and I refuse to get finance till I've cleared off the 2 and a half grand.......

I've gone a bit (lot) mad and really splashed out on a weekend away for combined Christmas and birthday pressie for dh...... never paid so much to for a weekend away before but we're going to a concert. It's not until June so I have to save for that too.

SO this week I will
    1. Do storecupboard challenge
    2. Keep spending diary
    3. Follow Slimming World plan to get back to target 6LB to go - then I don't need to pay

Wish me luck on this last leg..............
Page 4
    • milann
    • By milann 6th May 17, 3:54 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 5,883 Thanks
    milann
    Lol Tulullah - I bought a bike about 4 years ago - a fold up 1 to take to Cornwall to cycle along the cycle tracks - people say you never forget to ride a bike but I wobbled for England and my bike has ridden a total of 4 miles in 4 years.......and it's taking up space in the shed so that might just have to go.....
    • milann
    • By milann 21st May 17, 12:02 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 5,883 Thanks
    milann
    Had an expensive month here - car insurance and new glasses this month.

At the end of the month we are off to Cornwall - caravan is down there and we haven't made full use of it over the last few years. So with a sadness in our hearts we have decided it's time for it to go. Sit fees have risen a lot and it just doesn't pay anymore. We won't get much for it as it is an old one but it's give us some lovely cheap(ish) holidays over the years. Towing it back here isn't an option- just need to rearrange the geography of England me thinks - one of my favourite place but it's too far from my North West home. End of an era - but a new one can begin........

Lots of sorting of the house and garden needed this week as workmen in after we get back from holiday - right of I go instead of idling time away on here.
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 21st May 17, 12:43 PM
    • 304 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Site fees seems extortionate these days and some sites your caravan has to be fairly new so any old ones have to go.,even if they are still ok.

Time to move on as you say and enjoy what the rest of the uk has to offer. Being in the North West to you can see by my user name where my favourite place is !

Enjoy your holiday .
    July 2017 CC1 3769 CC 2 1150 Emergency Fund £1150

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 21st May 17, 10:02 PM
    • 46,575 Posts
    • 165,614 Thanks
    beanielou
    The end of an era indeed but time for new adventures to come
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 25th May 17, 5:02 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 5,883 Thanks
    milann
    I've just walked home from work - takes about 45 minutes and I'm hotter than a hot thing so just chilling with a cuppa and cake. Hope the sunshine doesn't burn itself out before next week...... Lol I'm not holding my breath but what I've seen of the weather forecast for next week will do me nicely. I need a sea breeze......
    I'd played with the idea of getting the bus into Manchester - about 5 miles up the road from work to lay a flower and a candle in respect and solidarity but the heat got the better of me. I'm going to try to get the before I go away. So sad and senseless - several children from the school I work in were there and I know someone who works at the arena - thankfully they were lucky. I've been there many times myself - it just doesn't bear thinking about - we just need to be vigilant and keep as safe as we can but still live our lives. Sad and scary times.....

I keep arguing with myself �� I've had an interest free credit card offer through and I'm so tempted to put my current 0% and Mr T balance on it so I can spend freely on holiday then I tell myself - this is how I got in a mess last time........ Grrrr I need to win the lottery - don't want millions just want enough to clear things off and have a bit of fun ��
    Cumbrian Lass - love your neck of the world - occasionally borrow a friends static van in Windermere.... Mmmmmmight have to have a little whisper in her ear and go for a visit.

It is indeed an end of an era Beanie and I have very mixed emotions about it.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 25th May 17, 9:28 PM
    • 46,575 Posts
    • 165,614 Thanks
    beanielou
    So sad indeed

me to on the just little money too would be nice. Hey ho.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 25th May 17, 9:41 PM
    • 748 Posts
    • 4,540 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    I've had an interest free credit card offer through and I'm so tempted to put my current 0% and Mr T balance on it so I can spend freely on holiday then I tell myself - this is how I got in a mess last time........
    Originally posted by milann

Stay strong!
    Striving to be mortgage free.
    • milann
    • By milann 26th May 17, 9:00 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 5,883 Thanks
    milann
    I saw sense and tore the cc forms up - I swore I wouldn't take out any more credit until I was totally debt free and then only if absolutely necessary for a car or big home improvements - not for trivial things.

Just about to cash in some Tesco vouchers for meals out when away - Zizzi and Prezzo will do nicely - Thankyou Mr T.

Need a general tidy up tomorrow, everything is washed and ready to pack then off for a couple of weeks to the land of sea, cream teas and Cornish Pasties
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 27th May 17, 6:47 AM
    • 4,039 Posts
    • 21,167 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Well done on resisting temptation Hope the weather holds for you but have a great time anyway.
    Virtual Sealed Pot £424.05
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • milann
    • By milann 13th Jun 17, 5:16 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 5,883 Thanks
    milann
    Well I posted a long, long babble on here last night and just came on to find it isn't here �� So apologies if it's turned up anywhere it shouldn't...... Technology is not my strongpoint!!!

Basically I'd had a good old moan about the weather on holiday, spending too much and eating too much. I'd been avoiding going on line to see cc balance but today the paper one arrived..... It was actually not as bad as expected as my statement date was half way through and there will be some of the spends on next months. I'm going to try and pay it off in full after payday but will weigh it up as I don't want to stretch myself too far and will finish it off again next month if I really need to.
    I need to get back into good habits - feeling a bit bleughh all round about everything and I don't know why - I've just had 2 weeks away, am ploughing through jobs that need doing in the house, so all is good and I really don't have and need to feel like it, as things have never been so good - need to give myself a kick up the behind me thinks.....
    On that not I'm going to go and sort some tea out ��
    • milann
    • By milann 21st Jun 17, 10:59 AM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 5,883 Thanks
    milann
    Feeling yuk - thought I was going to end up back in hospital with a severe kidney infection but doc has given me strong antibiotics with strict instructions I'm to phone back if I go any worse!!!
    Just when life is plodding along......got workmen in doing spme plastering so not a restful environment either - he's knocking off the old plaster today.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 21st Jun 17, 2:00 PM
    • 46,575 Posts
    • 165,614 Thanks
    beanielou
    Please take care of you xx

• milann
    • By milann 23rd Jun 17, 2:26 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 5,883 Thanks
    milann
    Well I ended up in hospital - went from bad to worse. What a difference a couple of days on IV antibiotics and fluids make. Got a severe kidney infection but luckily scan hasn't shown any damage or stones to my kidneys. But the good news is I'm going home tonight - just waiting for them to sort meds according to my last bloods taken. Will be off work 2 weeks and on antibiotics 2 weeks. Feels like I've been kicked around the middle by the local football teams.
    The staff here have been amazing but totally run off their feet from cleaners to consultants 24 hours - and since I didn't shut my eyes last night saw the full 24 hours.
    One day things will run straightforward - lol just wish I knew which day that it is.......on a plus I can claim for 2 nights in hospital on HSA - not sure how much I'll get but every cloud and that ��
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 23rd Jun 17, 6:17 PM
    • 748 Posts
    • 4,540 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    Glad that you are feeling better milann. Yes, good news about the HSA payment. If you are looking for a silver lining in every cloud, you could say you've been away for a couple of days at an all inclusive hotel!

Tx
    Striving to be mortgage free.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 23rd Jun 17, 8:26 PM
    • 4,039 Posts
    • 21,167 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Boo to the kidney infection but glad you're sorted and on the mend. Take care xx
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 23rd Jun 17, 8:50 PM
    • 46,575 Posts
    • 165,614 Thanks
    beanielou
    Oh sorry to hear that.
    Please take care xx

• in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 23rd Jun 17, 10:29 PM
    • 4,429 Posts
    • 24,773 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Put the money towards buying acidophilus. It's worth every penny.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £81,750.18, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £3,975.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5.5k & £200 cash.
    Current weight loss 1/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • milann
    • By milann 26th Jun 17, 4:19 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 5,883 Thanks
    milann
    Yes I took acidipophilus many years ago after I'd been ill and on antibiotics for a long time.....might well do that again.
    An old friend has been around today which has been lovely at one stage we both had a doze in the chair we have been friends for 47 years and can tell each other anything. We might not see each other often at times but just pick up the thread again. So I've had a good afternoon - I haven't got around to doing my banking yet though which had been the plan for today.
    I pottered for 10 minutes in the garden this morning but was well and truly worn out afterwards....
    Off to tackle the banking
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 26th Jun 17, 5:51 PM
    • 46,575 Posts
    • 165,614 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hurrah for fabarooni old friends
    Take care xx

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 26th Jun 17, 8:02 PM
    • 4,039 Posts
    • 21,167 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Glad you had a lovely day with your friend
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

154Posts Today

1,912Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin