Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • milann
    • By milann 18th Jan 16, 11:00 PM
    • 1,364Posts
    • 5,948Thanks
    milann
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way.......
    • 18th Jan 16, 11:00 PM
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way....... 18th Jan 16 at 11:00 PM
    Been on these forums for some time now...........good intentions of being debt free and at target weight keep coming .....and going......and life just keeps getting in the way!!!

So it's time for a new diary to help keep me on track and push the excuses behind me and JUST DO IT....

My debt is down to £2,500 and if I'd have shaped myself I could have had it cleared but I didn't so I need to do that pronto......
    My car was written off in November so I need to do something about getting mobile again, I'm wary of getting a rust bucket as I've had money pits in the past but the cash the insurance company paid out will only get a heap again and I refuse to get finance till I've cleared off the 2 and a half grand.......

I've gone a bit (lot) mad and really splashed out on a weekend away for combined Christmas and birthday pressie for dh...... never paid so much to for a weekend away before but we're going to a concert. It's not until June so I have to save for that too.

SO this week I will
    1. Do storecupboard challenge
    2. Keep spending diary
    3. Follow Slimming World plan to get back to target 6LB to go - then I don't need to pay

Wish me luck on this last leg..............
Page 3
    • milann
    • By milann 15th Jan 17, 8:54 PM
    • 1,364 Posts
    • 5,948 Thanks
    milann
    Not been on here for a while - that thing called life has well and truly got in the way again..............
    MIL had a nasty fall back in September and pneumonia set in - anyway to cut a very long story short she passed away in October. There was an awful lot of running around and extra expenses to pay for (although she had sorted out and paid or her funeral herself) The funeral wasn't until mid November - it was all very sad - but she had had 95 mainly good years , but she is missed.

Then mid December I had a brand new Grandaughter - she is beauty but I'm looking through those special rose tinted grandma glasses

We've had a new front door and a new bathroom - both looking good now but encountered problems along the way with leaks, plaster knocked off walls meaning extra phone calls workmen having to come back for extra visits and general bleurrrgh we could have done without - one day something will be straightforward LOL

So the upshot of all this is I've not paid my cc off in full as I usually do and am in a bit of denial as to what the total might be............so tomorrow I plan to do a bit of getting myself back on plan!!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Jan 17, 9:29 PM
    • 47,867 Posts
    • 173,940 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good to see you but sorry to hear your news.
    95 is a good age to see if your quality of life is mostly ok.
    Lovely to have a new grandaughter
    My CC seems to be much the same as yours
    Keep posting
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 21st Jan 17, 10:38 AM
    • 1,364 Posts
    • 5,948 Thanks
    milann
    So it took me a little longer to bring myself to look at the finances but I had to do it today as my payment was due. I've made the payment due but not paid cc in full - I owe £2,377 altogether which I'm annoyed at as I was so close to being debt free. £550 of that is on my cc which will gain interest next month - so need to pay that in full next month. There will also be some added as i have some extra spends on it as have some spendy days at the end of the month for a birthday celebration. The remaining £1800 is interest free until August so I need to pay £250 a month to clear it before then. It is all manageable as long as life doesn't throw any spanners in the works...............
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 21st Jan 17, 9:10 PM
    • 47,867 Posts
    • 173,940 Thanks
    beanielou
    You can do it

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 16th Feb 17, 8:14 PM
    • 1,364 Posts
    • 5,948 Thanks
    milann
    Had a good few nsd recently �� Feels like a long time since they've been around......
    February is usually a good month for me as I have no birthdays to buy for - don't think I'll be back to paying my complete balance on cc as I'd hoped but the balance after I've paid will be £200 and with reduced spends and short month will be back on track next month and paying in full again. Then will wallop the interest free cc.
    Having a few days at dd over half term so looking forward to granny cuddles - I've been very strict with myself and resisted buying lots of baby clothes to take with me - they have lots and I tend to get carried away with myself. I will get debt free this year - need to get back to basics and just DO without excuses...........
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Feb 17, 8:26 PM
    • 47,867 Posts
    • 173,940 Thanks
    beanielou
    You can do it
    Enjoy your time with DGD

• milann
    • By milann 16th Feb 17, 8:40 PM
    • 1,364 Posts
    • 5,948 Thanks
    milann
    Lol just been reading through some old posts and I feel as if I've stood still for a year - still trying to lose weight at sw - although I have set a temporary goal and don't need to pay as long as I'm within target - I'm currently under and will have to set new target soon - I still want to lose at least half a stone. And am still wanting to be debt free - wish I'd never paid my loan early now as I never really caught up with myself......can't go back though. This time next year I don't want to be reading the same old wants .......feeling determined!!!!!!!!!!!!! Feel so close to everything but it keeps getting away
    • milann
    • By milann 16th Feb 17, 8:42 PM
    • 1,364 Posts
    • 5,948 Thanks
    milann
    Thanks Beanie ��
    • milann
    • By milann 20th Mar 17, 10:55 PM
    • 1,364 Posts
    • 5,948 Thanks
    milann
    Yay - I've paid my main cc in full this month - 1st time since Christmas. I feel back on track and in control and will go back to use it just to collect Mr T points and pay in full as I used to. I've had a few unexpected expenses this month so didn't expect to pay in full but really pleased I managed it. £1,750 left on an interest free card so want to get on and get that done and dusted asap. Then I'll be debt free for good...............

I don't know where time is going seem to be meeting myself coming back most of the time. Had a lovely week at dd's getting lots of granny cuddles at half term. Granddaughter number 1 put her order in for a knitted Red Hiding Hood and a cardigan.... I'm not noted for my knitting speed - but I promised to have them done before I see her the week before Easter LOL LOL LOL

Life is more normal here as dh is able to drive again, it's been best part of a year and although he adapted well in the end - the smile on his face when his license came said it all.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - just seen the weather forecast for tomorrow and me not likee............ NEED some sunshine.........pleeeaaaasssssssssssse
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 20th Mar 17, 11:00 PM
    • 47,867 Posts
    • 173,940 Thanks
    beanielou
    GReat news on one card down

• milann
    • By milann 20th Mar 17, 11:06 PM
    • 1,364 Posts
    • 5,948 Thanks
    milann
    Beanie Pleased to see you - I will try and get on here more often............
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 20th Mar 17, 11:13 PM
    • 47,867 Posts
    • 173,940 Thanks
    beanielou
    Beanie Pleased to see you - I will try and get on here more often............
    Originally posted by milann
    That would just be fab
    Only one card to go

• milann
    • By milann 2nd Apr 17, 8:24 PM
    • 1,364 Posts
    • 5,948 Thanks
    milann
    Had a really low spendy month this month as I want to throw some cash at my 0 % card at the end of the month.............until today..........

We ventured into town and had a lovely meal at a restaurant paid for with vouchers from dd as a present. As I was walking back along a part of town I don't generally pass I went into the Shuropody shoe shop.

I haven't managed to wear sandals for years as I have to wear podiatry inserts or my ankles tend to collapse leaving me in a heap on the floor........ Last time I had a podiatry appointment I was having a grumble about not being able to wear sandals and he recommended a certain make.........anyway the shuropody shop had them and I got very excited and bought a pair. They are nothing special to look at but the instep is built up. I had no intention of buying anything today BUT spent £70 on a pair of ordinary looking sandals - I'm hoping they do the job and don't end up at the bottom of my wardrobe with several other pairs of shoes I can't wear - all I need now is the sunshine to keep shining so I can get my money's worth LOL
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Apr 17, 11:06 AM
    • 47,867 Posts
    • 173,940 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope the sandals are just the job for you.
    Money well spent if they are

• milann
    • By milann 30th Apr 17, 10:12 PM
    • 1,364 Posts
    • 5,948 Thanks
    milann
    The sandal theme has taken over a tad..... after not being able to find any suitable for years its a bit like a bus - I found another shop with sandals which I can put my own inserts but they were £100........I put them on and took them off - I even went out of the shop and then back in again and bought them!!!!!! The same shop had a sale on on shoes too so I went back the following day and got 2 pairs of shoes and a pair of trainers. So I've got more shoes than I've ever had for years - but I'm looking on them as an investment. It's virtually 2 years since I'd bought any shoes, so if they last as long as I'm expecting them to do I'll get my wear out of them. LOL good job my freezer was well stocked as I've banished myself from going to the shops for he rest of the month LOL LOL LOL
    My planned over payment to 0% cc didn't happen either but I have paid my Mr T card which I pay monthly off in full again so I'm pleased to be back on track with that again. So my total is £1725 - I'd hoped to have had it lower by now.....
    An expensive month with car insurance and new glasses to pay for this month but I can reclaim most of the cost of my glasses but I did a VERY SILLY thing when I went to pay for my specs on Friday - I tried to put the wrong number in for my pin and my card was locked - talk about senior moment - I've had the same familiar number a long time so WHY a mental block when I tried to remember it - luckily they said I can pay for my specs on collection - I felt a right idiot. I've just been onto Mr T banking and I will unlock it tomorrow - stopped me spending today when I was out and about with ds and dh LOL

Have had a busy few days in the garden - moving paving slabs with dh from around the edge of grass to make a bigger patio area and changing the small grassed area - lots of hard work but using materials we already had -I'm so glad the paving slabs were only small square ones though - we were both shattered and dh did the heavy work. It should look good when its done.

Hope I sleep better tonight as I was wide awake from 3.35 am - I've gone hopeless as sleeping. Nigh night.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 1st May 17, 7:22 AM
    • 4,451 Posts
    • 24,918 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    I'm like you with shoes, I just can't seem to get any comfortable ones at the moment. I've got one foot with a bunion and lump on the toe which looks awful and I have to cover up and the good foot is still swollen from the broken ankle. Total nightmare.

If I don't use my card for a few days I struggle to remember the PIN. By contrast Mr SA despite 9 months in hospital and all the brain trauma remembered it straightaway!

Well done on the garden work. It'll be worth it in the end.
    Virtual Sealed Pot £671.22
    October NSD 6/15
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 1st May 17, 11:32 AM
    • 47,867 Posts
    • 173,940 Thanks
    beanielou
    Shoes are just a nightmare. So buy ones that are comfy and nice when you can. Worth so much more than money.

• Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 1st May 17, 3:55 PM
    • 783 Posts
    • 4,669 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    Hello milann. Just read your diary and will be subscribing. I was drawn to it by your title, which just resounds with me on so many levels. All the best laid plans and all that. However, I love your solution to it all, which is to move in the right direction, sometimes you can't meet the target you have set but every little helps.

Regarding your shoes. I have been a bit like that as well. I have bought things that are really eating into my budget, but I know long term will make it easier. I bought a bike - it will save on petrol and help with my fitness. I bought 2 pairs of boots, both of which I will need for my winter holidays. They are cheaper now, rather than waiting for the season to get to full flow.

I believe you are doing a great job and moving in the right direction. Small blips happen all the time, good and bad. BUt you are managing to ride them out and are well on the journey to debt freedom. Good luck.

Tx
    Striving to be mortgage free.
    • milann
    • By milann 6th May 17, 3:38 PM
    • 1,364 Posts
    • 5,948 Thanks
    milann
    That's cheered me up no end knowing I'm not the only one with problematic feet.
    Tulullah in the early days I tried to set myself all sorts of targets after seeing how some folk on the boards hit massive targets - but the opportunity and to be honest the motivation just weren't there for me - so as long as everything is moving in the right direction - I'm happy with that. I found if I missed a target I'd set myself I'd blow it big time. It's taken me a long time to get to where I am now but I do know I never want to be in the place I was 10 years ago and I have a totally different mindset (Maybe with the exception of buying shoes) ��
    I've not got a lot to report - we had some tool sheds delivered the other day - talk about impressive - 2 sheds up and a cuppa downed in literally half an hour by the chaps who did them - we'd have still been fumbling trying to find the screws in that time. The theory is to transfer dh prized possessions (his !!!! in other words) from big shed on the verge of collapse to these tool sheds against the side of the house thus freeing more garden space......hopefully sell some to said old hobby treasures of his along the way towards the sheds........I'd put money on EVERYTHING ending up back in the new sheds..... On that not I'm off to give shed another coat of fence slobber.
    • milann
    • By milann 6th May 17, 3:41 PM
    • 1,364 Posts
    • 5,948 Thanks
    milann
    Sun addict dh brain trauma sounds nasty - hopefully on the mend now - not surprising you forget you pin - stress does funny things to us.

Hi Beanie
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,169Posts Today

7,769Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin