Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • milann
    • By milann 18th Jan 16, 11:00 PM
    • 1,478Posts
    • 6,573Thanks
    milann
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way.......
    • 18th Jan 16, 11:00 PM
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way....... 18th Jan 16 at 11:00 PM
    Been on these forums for some time now...........good intentions of being debt free and at target weight keep coming .....and going......and life just keeps getting in the way!!!

So it's time for a new diary to help keep me on track and push the excuses behind me and JUST DO IT....

My debt is down to £2,500 and if I'd have shaped myself I could have had it cleared but I didn't so I need to do that pronto......
    My car was written off in November so I need to do something about getting mobile again, I'm wary of getting a rust bucket as I've had money pits in the past but the cash the insurance company paid out will only get a heap again and I refuse to get finance till I've cleared off the 2 and a half grand.......

I've gone a bit (lot) mad and really splashed out on a weekend away for combined Christmas and birthday pressie for dh...... never paid so much to for a weekend away before but we're going to a concert. It's not until June so I have to save for that too.

SO this week I will
    1. Do storecupboard challenge
    2. Keep spending diary
    3. Follow Slimming World plan to get back to target 6LB to go - then I don't need to pay

Wish me luck on this last leg..............
Page 13
    • milann
    • By milann 8th Jan 18, 12:43 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 6,573 Thanks
    milann
    It's surprising what a difference inserts make . I've had them for about 12 years and the odd time I get fed up and wear a shoe without them if I'm going out and want to wear a sandal with a dress - boy do I suffer the following day with my ankles, knees and hips....

I had intended to go a short walk without my crutch again today but just can't bring myself to do it on my own. I've really lost my confidence - will do a few more walks with dh but not link him - this has really surprised me - I'm terrified of my leg giving under me as it suddenly gets tired. I need the appointment to come through from the hospital so I can drive again then try the treadmill at the gym. This is so out of character for me - I usually push myself....but physio was explaining how nerve damage is different to any injury I've had in the past which has just needed to repair and build up muscle again and how the brain has to re train nerves....

Today I'm supposed to be sorting my kitchen work tops - still have bags we brought home from dds after Christmas piled on there and we've felt so rubbish with chest infections they've stayed put!!!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Jan 18, 8:36 PM
    • 49,570 Posts
    • 186,689 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great bargains and great news on the walk.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Jan 18, 8:39 PM
    • 49,570 Posts
    • 186,689 Thanks
    beanielou
    It will take a while for you to get your confidence back.
    Keep plodding.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 9th Jan 18, 11:12 AM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 6,573 Thanks
    milann
    Thanks Beanie - deep down I know I've exceeded the doctors expectations in those early days but I'm so close to being back to 'normal' whatever that might be. It's frustrating me like something not right......I've never been in this situation before - I've always steadily built up and got stronger after illnesses and surgery but I just can't push myself to the last hurdle and I'm not sure whether it's to do with nerve damage or in my head...Like you say I need to keep plodding....

I looked at finances yesterday and I owe £1700 - I must have lost the plot as I didn't make a payment last month - other than my minimum which goes out by dd every month. If I'm really careful I can just about pay it on payday - providing my full wage goes in the bank. It will leave me penniless for the rest of the month and I'll have to live from the freezer/cupboards - but I have plenty in - just need milk and fresh food. I'm really torn as to what to do - do I want the pressure of no cash for the sake of another month.....but I could carry on like this forever. Will ponder some more.....

It's my ds birthday at the end of the month too.....decisions decisions!!

I'm very tempted to go into town but the MSE part of me says stay away as I'll end up spending the other part of me needs to get out and do something instead of sitting thinking.....

Dh bought me a new Fitbit for my birthday at the end of September then I ended up in hospital the 1st week in October but the ap has all my old steps and awards from my old fit bit on it - I think it'll be a while until I reach 30000 steps and we have really struggled finding out how to reset it to zero and wipe my history to start again as I am now. Anyway after getting in touch with their customer services they'll reset it - I'll be able to restart it from zero from Thursday. So I'm going back to slimming world on Thursday too - I'm going to rejoin and ask her to delete all my past history of yo-yoing - a complete new start....

I struggled to find positives yesterday as I feeling bleughhhhh - post Christmas blues me thinks.
    Today I am grateful
    - to be in the position to even contemplate paying off all debt or leave it another month.
    - to have come so far in my recovery
    - to have a job where I get my wage whilst on the sick
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Jan 18, 3:17 PM
    • 49,570 Posts
    • 186,689 Thanks
    beanielou
    Leave it another month.
    Just my thought.

• milann
    • By milann 9th Jan 18, 6:12 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 6,573 Thanks
    milann
    I'm leaning towards that I think Beanie - but then I change my mind!!!
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 9th Jan 18, 9:28 PM
    • 5,002 Posts
    • 31,071 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    I'm another suffered the post Christmas blues but I think I'm through the other side now. Could you split the 1700 into two payments or would it incur a lot of interest?
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £106.40
    Jan NSDs 6 Jan AFDs 8
    Weight loss 2.5/10LBS Emergency Fund £1685.31/£10,000
    April holiday £0/£900
    • milann
    • By milann 10th Jan 18, 10:37 AM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 6,573 Thanks
    milann
    I could SA - there'd be interest but I wouldn't mind too much as it'd only be 1 month.
    Half of me just wants to wipe the slate clean with everything in January and start February afresh
    - back in work - hopefully
    - debt free
    - driving again
    - building my walking with my re set fit bit
    - re instate my gym membership
    - losing weight with SW

The other half wonders if it's worth the struggle

Mind games I know but it keeps me going - feel as if I'm wishing my life away.

A friend should have been coming around today but had to cancel as she's not well. Might go for a walk - will take a crutch till I get a few more walks under my belt with dh
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Jan 18, 9:23 PM
    • 49,570 Posts
    • 186,689 Thanks
    beanielou
    £1000 this month & the rest next?

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Jan 18, 10:04 PM
    • 49,570 Posts
    • 186,689 Thanks
    beanielou
    Meant to ask you do you get your hospital appointment sorted out?
    Hops so

• milann
    • By milann 12th Jan 18, 11:34 AM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 6,573 Thanks
    milann
    Providing I get my full wage next week and I don't really see why not - I'm going to pay £1300 - I've still got some cash I didn't get round to paying before Christmas - senior moment that'll leave me nearly £500 plus whatever I spend this month to pay in February. When I checked again it was actually nearer £1800. When I looked into it closely I couldn't pay it 1 go without going into overdraft which I don't want to do.

Well yesterday I went to SW I spent best part of £60 on 12 week countdown, journal and magazine. This is it - if I don't lose and get to or close to target I'm calling it a day. I set a weight target and later worked out how many pounds I'd like to lose - 24 1/2 which by sheer chance is a midges over 2 lb a week. I don't know if I can do this as I'm not noted for being consistent with weight loss. But I need to change my outlook - cos if I alway do what I always did I'll always get what I always got.....determined

I've started taking a benecol drink to bring my cholesterol down - does anyone know if they work.

I had a call from consultants secretary yesterday and I go tomorrow. I hope I can get the go ahead to drive but I'm a bit nervous as I really don't like driving and my confidence has gone a bit. I'll get back into it once I'm behind the wheel.

I called in work yesterday with my sick note and it was lovely to see everyone - spurred me on to get walking and back. I actually walked into town afterwards and intended getting the bus from town home but I walked - using a crutch but it's quite a distance - a couple of miles - so I was well chuffed. I'm aching today though.

Today I'm grateful for
    - hospital appointment tomorrow
    - getting walking again
    - getting back into positive mindset
    • milann
    • By milann 12th Jan 18, 12:04 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 6,573 Thanks
    milann
    My menu plan this week - most things in stock just need to buy fresh veges

Thursday
    Breakfast - Cheerios and fruit
    Dinner -tuna, hard boiled eggs, rocket salad, green beans. Satsuma

Tea - chicken stuffed with lime and garlic then cooked on top of potatoes, onions and carrots. Broccoli

Friday
    Breakfast - omelette with leftover chicken and mushroom

Dinner - chicken salad and cous cous

Tea - chicken, actifry chips, homemade coleslaw, sweet corn

Saturday
    Breakfast bacon butty on whole meal bread with grilled tomato and mushroom
    Dinner - not sure as out - maybe jacket and beans
    Tea - fish, actifry chips, mushy peas

Sunday
    Brunch -bacon, poached egg , tomato, mushroom and homemade hash brown
    Tea - gammon, new potatoes, cabbage, carrots

Monday
    Breakfast - yoghurt and fruit
    Dinner - homemade minestrone using stock from gammon and cabbage as base
    Tea - gammo, actifry chips poached egg tomato and pineapple

Tuesday -
    Breakfast - yoghurt and fruit
    Dinner - salad with gammon and egg
    Tea - gammon savoury rice

Wednesday
    Breakfast - porridge and frozen berries
    Dinner - minestrone
    Wednesday - homemade chicken korma and rice

I'm hopeless at sticking to any plan - get distracted and go off piste
    Last edited by milann; 12-01-2018 at 12:07 PM.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Jan 18, 8:27 PM
    • 49,570 Posts
    • 186,689 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope hospital goes well.
    Hope SW goes well.
    I am not in the zone at the moment.

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 12th Jan 18, 8:44 PM
    • 5,002 Posts
    • 31,071 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    It's good to do a meal plan to keep you on the straight and narrow.

Sounds like you're making excellent progress
    Jan NSDs 6 Jan AFDs 8
    April holiday £0/£900
    • milann
    • By milann 15th Jan 18, 12:42 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 6,573 Thanks
    milann
    I'm not surprised you're not in the zone Beanie there's so much else for you to concentrate on at the moment.

As for the menu plan....ahem .... all was well until Saturday - we were way too early for the hospital appointment and went for a cuppa - dh wanted a cake so I had a quarter of that. We were in and out with the doctor so had a day out in York a couple of hours drive away. We went into a table to table for dinner - meal and a drink for £6 .....anyway I had a jacket with prawns and asked for the sauce separate. The potato had butter inI never even thought about asking without butter but it was delicious. Later after we'd had a bit of a mooch around York and dh treated himself to a little something for his garden railway then he dragged me kicking and screaming (honest) into my favourite cake shop Patisserie Valerie which do humongous cakes.....anyway we shared a Black Forest gateaux and I had tea. Which is an improvement for me as I'd normally have a latte and full cake to myself. When we got home at about 9pm as we'd called into my brothers as we pass the end of his road. I'd intended having salad and cold meat but realised I had a Camembert cheese in fridge from Christmas which was close to its sell by date so had that with crunchy tiger bread (reduced to 5p) followed by a chocolate Christmas biscuit. So my good intentions flew out of the window... It was a lovely though I've stayed fairly close to the menu plan since though so hopefully I can claw things back.

Anyway the doctor was lovely again - decided since I was doing so well there was no need for another MRI scan as if the swelling wasn't going down I wouldn't be doing so well. He said I can drive again but need to inform the insurance company - which I'm just about to do. My right leg is still considerably weaker than it was and he said it could take a year or so to rebuild the nerves and muscles but it might not improve much more than it is now. I might always have a tremor and reduced feeling, especially if I'm tired or under the weather. I can live with this though and am pleased I've recovered so we'll -I won't ever forget the early days. I walked around York unaided but did link dh several times.

I can go back to work with some adjustments made to the children I work with and a phased return at the end of my next sick note.----that sound really bad - no children will be harmed in adjustments - I'll just swap around with staff!!,!!!,

So life is getting back to normal

Had a very lazy morning watching catch up dancing on ice. Right best shape myself and get onto the insurance and see if my wages have gone in so I can make a payment.

it's going to be a shock to my system when I go back to work........
    Last edited by milann; 15-01-2018 at 5:48 PM.
    • milann
    • By milann 15th Jan 18, 5:44 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 6,573 Thanks
    milann
    Car insurance sorted with no problem.
    My wages went in so I've paid £1300 off cc. Including new spends I now owe just short of £600 - I WILL do this next month and get back to paying MR T cc off every month and collect points for nice meals out.
    Got a telephone interview with occy health tomorrow and I've just been for a short walk all by myself......with no crutches- things are looking up
    I've just had my hair cut at mobile hairdressers who lives facing. She cuts it lovely but I never like the way she blows it and no matter what I say it always comes out the same. But it's local and cheap(ish) plus we have a good catch up.

Haven't done the housework I'd plannned though.....

Today I'm grateful for
    - short walk by myself
    - making payment
    - home made soup
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Jan 18, 6:34 PM
    • 49,570 Posts
    • 186,689 Thanks
    beanielou
    Thats great on the CC.
    happy new hair.
    Sure OH will go well.

• milann
    • By milann 16th Jan 18, 11:45 AM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 6,573 Thanks
    milann
    Grrrrrrrrr - I was up at half eight with the phone by my side ready for the phone call from occy health.....nothing - it got to 1/4 past and I phoned them to say I was waiting - our phone had an intermittent fault a while back but has been ok recently....anyway I'd missed a call - so they're phoning back at 2....

I've been a good girl and been doing the housework I didn't do yesterday ....Id contemplated going for a walk but it's horrid out there. Sudden blasts of hail and wind - think I'm staying put. I have got into a bad habit of sitting in front of tv so today I've put radio on instead - and I'm singing along as I do housework - actually it's more of a croak as I haven't shaken the chest infection off fully yet - it just doesn't want to go....but it's made me think of my mum in the days before all day TV.

I've still not mustered enough courage to go for a drive

Today I'm grateful for
    - a NSD
    - my automatic washing machine - thinking of my mum made me think of her twin tub...
    - music to croak to
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Jan 18, 8:04 PM
    • 49,570 Posts
    • 186,689 Thanks
    beanielou
    HOPe OH phoned back.

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 16th Jan 18, 8:13 PM
    • 5,002 Posts
    • 31,071 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Glad things are getting back to normal. It's not OH Aasist is it, they're a pain for not phoning when they say they will.
    Jan NSDs 6 Jan AFDs 8
    April holiday £0/£900
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

470Posts Today

5,300Users online

Martin's Twitter