Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • milann
    • By milann 18th Jan 16, 11:00 PM
    • 1,478Posts
    • 6,571Thanks
    milann
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way.......
    • 18th Jan 16, 11:00 PM
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way....... 18th Jan 16 at 11:00 PM
    Been on these forums for some time now...........good intentions of being debt free and at target weight keep coming .....and going......and life just keeps getting in the way!!!

So it's time for a new diary to help keep me on track and push the excuses behind me and JUST DO IT....

My debt is down to £2,500 and if I'd have shaped myself I could have had it cleared but I didn't so I need to do that pronto......
    My car was written off in November so I need to do something about getting mobile again, I'm wary of getting a rust bucket as I've had money pits in the past but the cash the insurance company paid out will only get a heap again and I refuse to get finance till I've cleared off the 2 and a half grand.......

I've gone a bit (lot) mad and really splashed out on a weekend away for combined Christmas and birthday pressie for dh...... never paid so much to for a weekend away before but we're going to a concert. It's not until June so I have to save for that too.

SO this week I will
    1. Do storecupboard challenge
    2. Keep spending diary
    3. Follow Slimming World plan to get back to target 6LB to go - then I don't need to pay

Wish me luck on this last leg..............
Page 12
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 1st Jan 18, 10:35 AM
    • 49,570 Posts
    • 186,665 Thanks
    beanielou
    Tagets sound good to me.
    You can do it xx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 1st Jan 18, 12:19 PM
    • 4,809 Posts
    • 27,357 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Your targets seem well thought out. You will do this.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £78,892.61, target £65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today £4,075.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund £355.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 9/32 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • milann
    • By milann 2nd Jan 18, 3:20 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 6,571 Thanks
    milann
    Thanks all - ernie - rest has been the order of the season - must get round to making some chicken soup.

I've just been onto the consultants secretary as I've been waiting for an appointment which is due early January. I'll know by tomorrow whether it's this Saturday or on the 20th. Then I can hopefully be given the all clear to drive again. I'm doing really well walking outside with 1 crutch - I just need the confidence to walk proper distances without it. My leg still starts to tremor if I stand still for any amount of time and if I'm tired. Fingers crossed......then I'll need to get my confidence back driving - I really don't like driving and have only missed it once or twice on the run up to Christmas. But I'll be able to drive to the gym and re instate my membership start swimming and build up on the treadmill. Then get back to work...... Thinking back to early October - I didn't ever imagine going back when I couldn't stand or feel my leg......but now I feel I can do it

My chest is still rattling like a guddun but feeling slightly better and sleeping much better

My neighbour that went into a care home earlier this year passed away yesterday - I'm feeling quite sad as there is no one left to send a condolence card to to say how lovely she was. I haven't been to see her since I was in hospital and had every intention of making her some mince pies - which I'd done for the last 30 years and taking them to her the weekend before Christmas but then we started feeling I'll and I didn't want to take it to her. She was an active independent lady until this time last year....

Boy this post is very pessimistic - must go and get some positive vibes from somewhere before I return
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 2nd Jan 18, 4:53 PM
    • 49,570 Posts
    • 186,665 Thanks
    beanielou
    So sorry to hear about your neighbour.
    Mine went into a care home too earlier this year.
    Strange after 28 years of living next door.
    The end of ana indeed.

I think there is only now me and my buddy along the road who have been here since the houses were built.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 2nd Jan 18, 4:54 PM
    • 49,570 Posts
    • 186,665 Thanks
    beanielou
    Watch the leg when it is tremoring.
    That for me is an indication I may fall.
    Though hopefully not for you.
    Hope the driving falls into place too.

• milann
    • By milann 3rd Jan 18, 12:31 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 6,571 Thanks
    milann
    Beanie that's my concern re the tremor. This particular leg could give and I've had some nasty falls even before the spinal problem. My joints are so lax they give without warning so add the nerve damage and I've realised I'm quite wary of giving up the final crutch outside. Seems silly as I'm walking perfectly inside. I've really pushed myself to get to where I am but finding this last step difficult. I'll get there.

I'm not rattling as much today which is going in the right direction.

There's a lovely couple moving in next door where my old neighbour lived and are doing the house up big time. I feel as if they've been hammering or drilling non stop since July. They started at 7 this morning and normally I can switch off to it but it's driving me mad today. But needs must......they'll have a lovely little home once it's finished. Lol - they must have read my mind and it's just stopped ....bliss.

We need to paint the doors and cupboard we had built before Christmas but not until we've got rid of the chest infections as paint will not do us any good.

Can't face looking at cc statements - I'll wait until next week which is my new statement then set a plan in action to pay it off. A plus of being poorly over Christmas was I couldn't get out much to spend and we haven't eaten half of the food I bought in - so lots of scope for NSD and low spend days in January

We've still got so much 'treat' food - chocolates, biscuits and I've not even cut into the Christmas cake yet....plus I'd opened a bottle of Baileys and had a bit of it - we've not felt much like eating and not been able to drink with the antibiotics. I want to start getting back on track food wise BUT there's NO way any will be thrown away......will have to get back to Slimming World once I can drive and work little treats into my plan. I want to lose at least a stone and probably nearer 2 stone before my 60th birthday in September...

Right off to do some knitting for my granddaughters .
    • milann
    • By milann 3rd Jan 18, 2:45 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 6,571 Thanks
    milann
    Just been reading through in Need of Directions diary and I think I'm going to pinch an idea - hope that's ok INOD.

Today I am pleased
    - to be inside in the warm and away from the wind out there
    - full fridge and freezer
    - friends - real and virtual

Need to get some positivity back in my life as I feel on a bit of a downward spiral....
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Jan 18, 7:23 PM
    • 49,570 Posts
    • 186,665 Thanks
    beanielou
    Well to be fair there is no rush to get rid of the crutch.
    Like you I plod around in the house without my stick most of the time.
    For me I think it is that I can always crawl to something to in the house to lean on to get up.

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Jan 18, 7:24 PM
    • 49,570 Posts
    • 186,665 Thanks
    beanielou
    So you are only 4 years older than me

• milann
    • By milann 3rd Jan 18, 9:11 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 6,571 Thanks
    milann
    Funny how you get idea so of people Beanie - in my head you are in your 40s......thought I was lots older than you. I must have based it on your son still studying.

Yes I'm 60 in September it's our 40th wedding anniversary in August and dh is 65 in November - we had half talked about a cruise or a special holiday then I ended up in hospital and we've not done anything about it because we've no idea how long I'll be off work.....whether I have to chose a holiday to fit in school holidays or not....Or what we can afford. But even if it's something here we will have a nice holiday to celebrate all 3.

The most annoying thing is - we should both have been retiring this year - before the ages were changed - when we got married we always joked about retiring together - I'd be 60 and he'd be 65 within a couple of months of each other. It seemed such a long way off....and its arrived scarily quickly only to have the goalposts changed just as they were in site
    • milann
    • By milann 3rd Jan 18, 9:16 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 6,571 Thanks
    milann
    The main reason I want to get rid of the crutch is so I can get back to work Beanie. Itd be such a temptation for the kids I work with not to touch the crutch if we're parked somewhere whilst sitting working with them.
    • milann
    • By milann 4th Jan 18, 5:32 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 6,571 Thanks
    milann
    Visited GP this afternoon - another month off work,more antibiotics and an inhaler. It's the 1st time I've been out for a walk since before Christmas and I felt very wobbly - probably because I've had this chest infection.
    Had a proud moment when I was on my way home - called in Morrisons and was in the queue about to get a drink and a cake cos I was feeling a tad sorry for myself - I put my tray back came home and had a cuppa and a couple of biscuits instead.....how me is that about £3.50 saved and bet the biscuits were less calories than the cake that didn't even look very inviting.
    Today I am grateful for
    - antibiotics
    - knitting
    - tea and biscuits
    • milann
    • By milann 5th Jan 18, 7:10 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 6,571 Thanks
    milann
    Braved it and phoned work about my sick note - why do I feel guilty ?
    Tried to chase the hospital for an appointment but no joy - left my number for them to phone back.
    Started taking the decorations down but felt totally washed out - did everything except the tree and lights in the garden - will do those with dh tomorrow. Cleaned the windows and polished brasses on fireplace just to brighten the place up.
    Today I am grateful for
    - to to keep me company
    - my actifry
    - FaceTime wher I could see my granddaughters
    - a NSD
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Jan 18, 7:25 PM
    • 49,570 Posts
    • 186,665 Thanks
    beanielou
    If you need to be off then you need to be off.
    No need to feel guilty.

• milann
    • By milann 6th Jan 18, 12:55 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 6,571 Thanks
    milann
    I know Beanie but still feel I'm letting my workmates down....

Finished taking the decorations down and I'm quite pleased - usually I don't want to see them go.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Jan 18, 8:52 PM
    • 49,570 Posts
    • 186,665 Thanks
    beanielou
    You are not letting your workmates down.
    Looking after yourself on Dr's orders.

• milann
    • By milann 6th Jan 18, 10:48 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 6,571 Thanks
    milann
    Lol I went to local pets at home shop with dh today - 1st time out without my crutch but it was a case of walking from the car to inside the shop to look at new fish for the tank. I'm trying to build up the walking unaided - the 1st person I saw was a parent and child from school.....ah well I have to go out - didn't feel too bad if I saw anyone when I had my crutches but I ended up telling this mum how it was my 1st time out without crutches - bet it sounded like an excuse!!!
    I was quite chuffed though as the child has quite severe problems including Downes Syndrome and he recognised me straight away even though I was out of school and gave me the biggest hug ever.

Feel loads better today but still coughing a bit. Glad I've got the extra antibiotics to clear it up properly. Finish them on Monday and hoping I'm right by then.

Today I'm grateful for
    - getting out of the house
    - hugs
    - blue skies
    - NSD
    • milann
    • By milann 7th Jan 18, 9:27 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 6,571 Thanks
    milann
    Ds came around today and we went out for a walk. I was dead chuffed as I walked without any crutches - I linked dh from time to time so wasn't going totally solo. It felt good - we walked through a local park and to town by its side - had a coffee and sit down and walked back. I wore the new Fitbit I'd had bought me for my birthday at the end of September and totalled 9000 steps - a third of what I used to do but it felt amazing. Just need the confidence to go it alone.....
    We were undecided what to do for tea and ended up in M&S they were reducing all the meals to about a pound - so I spent £25 (paid full price for milk and bread) but we had nearly £80 of food - dh and ds have meals for dinners at work and we have several meals for teas in the freezer. I don't usually do ready meals but couldn't pass these.

Today I am grateful for
    - 9000 steps
    - yellow woopsie stickers
    - dh to hold on to
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 7th Jan 18, 9:34 PM
    • 4,996 Posts
    • 31,034 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Milann you're only 2 years older than me. Great that you went out without the crutch xx When I was recovering from my broken ankle last year I set myself small goals. To be honest it's still not right which really annoys me.
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £106.40
    Jan NSDs 6 Jan AFDs 7
    Weight loss 2.5/10LBS Emergency Fund £1685.31/£10,000
    April holiday £0/£900
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 8th Jan 18, 9:33 AM
    • 4,809 Posts
    • 27,357 Thanks
    in need of direction
    SA, after knee surgery, things still weren't right for me until I got fitted for orthotic insoles. These help to correct the bad habits created when favouring the painful limb. They truly made all the difference and might be worth a try. They were expensive but back then I had access to a work related healthcare subsidy that helped.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £78,892.61, target £65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today £4,075.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund £355.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 9/32 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

261Posts Today

2,330Users online

Martin's Twitter