Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • milann
    • By milann 18th Jan 16, 11:00 PM
    • 1,420Posts
    • 6,216Thanks
    milann
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way.......
    • 18th Jan 16, 11:00 PM
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way....... 18th Jan 16 at 11:00 PM
    Been on these forums for some time now...........good intentions of being debt free and at target weight keep coming .....and going......and life just keeps getting in the way!!!

So it's time for a new diary to help keep me on track and push the excuses behind me and JUST DO IT....

My debt is down to £2,500 and if I'd have shaped myself I could have had it cleared but I didn't so I need to do that pronto......
    My car was written off in November so I need to do something about getting mobile again, I'm wary of getting a rust bucket as I've had money pits in the past but the cash the insurance company paid out will only get a heap again and I refuse to get finance till I've cleared off the 2 and a half grand.......

I've gone a bit (lot) mad and really splashed out on a weekend away for combined Christmas and birthday pressie for dh...... never paid so much to for a weekend away before but we're going to a concert. It's not until June so I have to save for that too.

SO this week I will
    1. Do storecupboard challenge
    2. Keep spending diary
    3. Follow Slimming World plan to get back to target 6LB to go - then I don't need to pay

Wish me luck on this last leg..............
Page 10
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 27th Nov 17, 5:06 PM
    • 49,069 Posts
    • 182,279 Thanks
    beanielou
    Milan~~sorry to read about your DH.
    That is a lot to cope with for him ( & you).
    Hopefully things will improve soon. xx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 27th Nov 17, 5:10 PM
    • 49,069 Posts
    • 182,279 Thanks
    beanielou
    hi fay66.
    Getting a scooter is not giving in but is enabling you to live the life you want to on your terms. I am hoping to get one really soon but havent quite worked out the logistics of getting in & out of car.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 28th Nov 17, 3:27 PM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 6,216 Thanks
    milann
    Beanie could you get a hoist......

Been to GPs today - she said I'm very lucky to be as mobile as I am. Guess I'll just have to learn to be a patient patient. Said she couldn't give me the go ahead to drive will have to see consultant but she did give me another sick note for 6 weeks - hopefully I'll have seen the consultant by then. Interestingly she said I have to give myself time mentally as well as physically to get over it as it was a shock to my system. I think I've coped pretty well - just keep thinking it could have been so much worse had it have been what they were expecting when they were doing full body scans looking to see if there were other masses in my body....

Got one of the bosses from work coming around - apparently they have some flowers for me. I asked if I could still go for the Christmas meal on Friday - I can - so will go for the meal and to see everyone but I'll be on my bestest behaviour......

Really strange not being at work on the lead up to Christmas I love this time of year at school.....
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 28th Nov 17, 7:01 PM
    • 49,069 Posts
    • 182,279 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad you are getting some flowers & that you are getting to go to the Christmas meal

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 28th Nov 17, 9:24 PM
    • 4,751 Posts
    • 28,303 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    This is just like deja vu for me this time last year. I went to work Xmas do in a wheelchair - they got the restaurant to change our seating area to disabled friendly. They also had flowers for me! What a coincidence!

I'm sure you'll really enjoy the work do, it'll be great to see your colleagues again
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £20.70
    December 3 NSD
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • fay66
    • By fay66 28th Nov 17, 9:45 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 1,603 Thanks
    fay66
    ooh I cant go to mine on friday, just cant bear the drive of 25 miles each way and I have a sick note for depression until Monday, and cant stand the thought of crashing music and a meal, really sad as been told going to be lots of prosecco and will miss the team
    Inland revenue £4500=
    Loan £2610
    Pay day loans - 135+600+300+300
    Credit card 1 - 5186
    CC2 -1038
    CC3 - 548 cc4 234
    • milann
    • By milann 30th Nov 17, 10:42 PM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 6,216 Thanks
    milann
    I've just been reading your diary SA and that's exactly what I thought when I was reading about your last Christmas.

Sorry you can't get to your Christmas do Fay but no good going if it's going to make you feel worse. There will be other years when you feel more up to it.

The flowers are lovely Beanie but I had to surpress a smile when I asked one of the bosses if my place for do was still available when she phoned to say she was coming around with the flowers- thought she was going to choke and said she'd have to have a conflab with senior management team because of health and safety Suppose dancing on crutches is out then I have danced many a time in the past when I've had fractures. Best behaviour me thinks

Got to go to Occy Health on Monday - a bit of a pain as it isn't in my local town but about 15 miles away....no idea how I'm going to get there as DH can't get time off work and I can't drive....really don't want to go that far in a taxi. Might investigate how close to tram station it is...had to laugh as it's the 2nd appointment in 2 days with change of venue, day and time.....even though it stated in no uncertain terms that you can only change your appointment in extreme circumstances - but it's ok for them to change it for us. The appointment letter could have been quite intimating if you were of an anxious disposition - I'm of a mind of what will be will be....I'm happy to be doing a darn site better than any of the medics thought I'd be and not for the 1st time in my life. The 2nd appointment is in an area I'm more familiar with though so not too bad.

Had some nice NSDs days this week - kept myself busy decluttering and deep cleaning in between resting and catching up with diaries so time is passing quickly. Spent money going to SW in a taxi today and and to pay as out of target but lost 2 1/2 lb so getting back in the zone.

DH gone to see his sister who has had bowel surgery this week. I cried off as really can't cope with her general pessimistic view of life - and I know she will be a lot worse than usual this week - I'll go next week with him.

Off to bed and to listen to my Paul McKenna tape which I rediscovered when decluttering my bedroom - thanks Beanie
    • milann
    • By milann 30th Nov 17, 11:04 PM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 6,216 Thanks
    milann
    Grrrrrrrrr just posted a long post and no idea where it is - apologies if it's on someone else's diary
    • milann
    • By milann 30th Nov 17, 11:05 PM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 6,216 Thanks
    milann
    it's just turned up after all
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 1st Dec 17, 2:55 PM
    • 49,069 Posts
    • 182,279 Thanks
    beanielou
    CAnt OH come to you?

• milann
    • By milann 1st Dec 17, 3:26 PM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 6,216 Thanks
    milann
    No don't think so Beanie
    • milann
    • By milann 1st Dec 17, 3:36 PM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 6,216 Thanks
    milann
    Well has best of intentions of another day with no spends until I got to do tonight then just the cost of my drinks as already paid for meal. But a really good friend has been struggling as had her daughter survived past her 12 very special years she'd have bee 18 a fe weeks ago, I phoned her and she sounded in need of a bit of company so she picked me up and we went out for lunch - traffic was horrendous so didn't make it to the garden centre we were going to go to - think there'd been something on the motorway up the road so we just ended up in Morrisons - she treated us to lunch and then I treated myself to some make up for tonight and bought granddaughter some clothes for Christmas - so my low spend and low food intake was well and truly blown out the window £38 and turkey butty with chips.. But it's a little me treat and a start on Christmas presents.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 1st Dec 17, 3:53 PM
    • 49,069 Posts
    • 182,279 Thanks
    beanielou
    Always good to start on the Christmas presents & to see a friend
    Enjoy tonight

• milann
    • By milann 5th Dec 17, 1:20 PM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 6,216 Thanks
    milann
    Had a busy few days - had a lovely time seeing everyone at the works Christmas do - didn't spend a penny as had my drinks bought for me. I was on my very bestest behaviour and just sat and chatted - lol - I think my boss would have had heart failure if I'd have got up dnacing on crutches even if I'd have felt like it -I came home about 10 but was a good night.

On Saturday we went to a little Yorkshire village which has a Dickensian Christmas Festival - it was absolutely lovely - there were stalls and things to eat but not overly commercial like the German markets near home. Don't think I've ever been anywhere so organised - park and ride to take people to the village and back. Brass bands, carols and we sat listening to hand bell ringers - really really lovely. Quite spendy on the food front and not very slimming world friendly but worth every penny.

Sunday was a trip to find where I had to go to Occy Health - and yesterday I went to Occy health - cost me £15 - a day bus ticket to the nearest town and then a fiver each way from town to Occy Health office - then I bought my dinner and had a cuppa whilst having a bit of a nosey around the town....money that I really did not want to spend.....anyway man was lovely and agreed I need to be off work until I'm more stable on my feet then need a phased return to work and need to work with a less physically demanding child......I'm sure work will be happy with this as I've already mentioned that I'm not sure how long it will be before I'm fit enough to make a dash if child I'm with suddenly decides to do a runner - as she is known to do when she doesn't like what's on offer. I shall miss her though as she is a real challenge - funny, loving, contrary and certainly has her own agenda. I had a little smile though as the staff who I'll hopefully change places with doesn't like working with my little one - she finds her 'too difficult' she'll just have to up her game. Occy health want to see me again when my sick note comes to an end - I've requested an appointment in my own town rather than having to pay another £15 - he said he'll sort it for me!!!!

I've been finishing my decluttering today and hopefully for the 1st time in a long long time - every room will have been decluttered and clean and tidy all at these me time - I feel,as if I spend my life just moving 'stuff' fro 1 room to another when I tidy up.....then I can mess it all up again by making my Christmas cakes tomorrow....

Got to have a tooth out on Friday - not really looking forward to that plus I'll probably have to have my false tooth altered or a new one made - more money!!!!!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Dec 17, 1:47 PM
    • 49,069 Posts
    • 182,279 Thanks
    beanielou
    All sounding good.
    Glad you had a lovely weekend.
    Sorry it was such a trail to Occ Health.
    But good outcome.
    EEk to the tooth.
    Last one I got out came out no bother
    Sure yours will be the same.

• milann
    • By milann 6th Dec 17, 12:28 PM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 6,216 Thanks
    milann
    Having a lovely me day today - I'd finished decluttering yesterday so today for the 1st time in a very long time have every room in the house tidy, every window cleaned, washing and ironing all done and Christmas decorations are up. It's taken me a long time to do it as I've had to do a bit and rest but the sense of achievement is great....next problem .....how do I amuse myself from tomorrow whilst I'm off work.

So today I'm doing some surfing, knitting and watching some catch up tv. Might even get around to doing some lists for Christmas.

Finally managed to get a carpenter to come and fit some new internal doors and put shelving and make cupboards in the hall - he's starting tomorrow - can't believe how long we've been after someone to do this - doors are an odd size so most have run a mile. Just hoping he does the job as well as he talks the talk....fingers crossed.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Dec 17, 4:36 PM
    • 49,069 Posts
    • 182,279 Thanks
    beanielou
    Well done on the decluttering
    Hope the carpenter works out well

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 6th Dec 17, 6:05 PM
    • 632 Posts
    • 3,587 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Can you put an expenses claim in for your trip to Occy Health if it was work related travel? Just a thought...
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Dec 17, 6:20 PM
    • 49,069 Posts
    • 182,279 Thanks
    beanielou
    Can you put an expenses claim in for your trip to Occy Health if it was work related travel? Just a thought...
    Originally posted by redofromstart

Good thinking

• milann
    • By milann 6th Dec 17, 8:21 PM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 6,216 Thanks
    milann
    I told the fella at Occy health how much it had cost me and he didn't say anything about being able to retrieve costs - he did phone me a taxi and got me a chair to sit on near the door whilst I was waiting lol I made a point of asking for my home town when he next sees me....which he has made a note of!!! So I shall refuse to travel next time.
    It's been a long day today - so much for my me day - watched a corny Christmas film, did some knitting and made tea and watched rain bouncing outside.......lol I need another project!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,419Posts Today

7,184Users online

Martin's Twitter