Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Oil Prices

Comments

• danothy
    danothy Posts: 2,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What I am suggesting is that it won't lead to economic boom times as some posters are suggesting.

I think I'll put off reading the article until the facts around your initial assumption regarding what people on here are suggesting are clearer:
    wotsthat wrote: »
    No it's arguing the low oil price won't lead to a global economic boom and I don't think that is being claimed by anyone on here.
    If you think of it as 'us' verses 'them', then it's probably your side that are the villains.
  • Bit off topic, but can anyone suggest the simplest way to get exposure to oil prices?
    A ETF/ETC I assume?
    I'd prefer something that 'tracks' rather than trying 'leveraged' products.
  • InvestInPoker
    InvestInPoker Posts: 1,356 Forumite
    edited 18 January 2016 at 11:44AM
    Bit off topic, but can anyone suggest the simplest way to get exposure to oil prices?
    A ETF/ETC I assume?

Read here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5147152

It is not as simple as one would hope. A reasonable balance is to buy shares in oil companies.

An offbeat way to do it would be to buy some rental property in Aberdeen :D
  • Generali
    Generali Posts: 36,411 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Bit off topic, but can anyone suggest the simplest way to get exposure to oil prices?
    A ETF/ETC I assume?

Vanguard and ishares both have oil stocks ETFs but that's not the same thing as a direct bet on the POO as the underlying companies will have other issues at stake (leverage, competence etc).

You might be able to buy oil futures but I suspect that they're only open to 'sophisticated investors' (no idea if you count as one of those: it basically means you're either rich or don't have to ask how to get exposure to oil prices).

If I were you I'd chug along putting my £x that is left over from my spending each month into a range of trackers and be done with it. You won't beat the market even if you think you will.

Sorry to be the one to break the bad news. On the plus side I've saved you a huge amount in brokerage fees.
  • mwpt
    mwpt Posts: 2,502 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Generali wrote: »
    If I were you I'd chug along putting my £x that is left over from my spending each month into a range of trackers and be done with it. You won't beat the market even if you think you will.

Sorry to be the one to break the bad news. On the plus side I've saved you a huge amount in brokerage fees.

Some people beat the market, sometimes even for an extended period. They then confirm that their choices were based on foresight and skill and advise the same strategy to others. But others should be aware that there has to be risk in any investment that beats inflation, or otherwise that investment would cost infinitely too much.

Sometimes the market does mis-price stuff though.
  • cells
    cells Posts: 5,246 Forumite
    Generali wrote: »
    Our oil analyst at work, and Reuters too, reckon that at present unconventional oil in the US can come out of the ground at costs of between $40 and $70 and that cost seems to be on a one-way trip. The only thing I can see putting those costs up are taxes (definitely a possibility) and environmental regulations.

the permian basin (producing massive 2 million barrels a day) last month grew its production so people on the ground there seem to think it makes sense to expand even at $30-35 barrels
  • chewmylegoff
    chewmylegoff Posts: 11,466 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm not saying it's going to cripple the economy.

What I am suggesting is that it won't lead to economic boom times as some posters are suggesting.

I've posted up an article explaining why this is the case.

As per usual, a load of names have been hurled and not a single person has even attempted to look at any of the reasons put forward in the article.

Errr.... I can't see anyone claiming that low oil prices equal economic boom. Meanwhile in post #2 of this thread you appear to suggest that the world economy cannot cope with oil prices remaining low for more than 6 months which sounds rather like doom mongering to me.

If what you meant was "I am not sure this means we will have an economic boom which no-one but me has actually mentioned" then why didn't you just say that in the first place?
  • Graham_Devon
    Graham_Devon Posts: 58,560 Forumite
    edited 18 January 2016 at 3:00PM
    Errr.... I can't see anyone claiming that low oil prices equal economic boom. Meanwhile in post #2 of this thread you appear to suggest that the world economy cannot cope with oil prices remaining low for more than 6 months which sounds rather like doom mongering to me.

If what you meant was "I am not sure this means we will have an economic boom which no-one but me has actually mentioned" then why didn't you just say that in the first place?

Maybe not "economic boom", but this thread has all the references to how good this is for the UK economy... Note the words "significant benefit" on this thread, "kerching" on the other. The references to thousands of extra pounds spent in the economy. If we are just hung up on two words though, I agree you are right and I made a mistake and you win.

It's bizzare how you get so hung up on the words I used and then twist mine out of proportion to make your point. I actually questioned whether oil this low for 6 months was an issue. Yet you have twisted that (using the words, "you appear to suggest" and then taken issue with precise wording and what someone may or may not have said. I just don't get the internet warfare. Though it appears an important thing to many, including you it would seem.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5391495
  • chewmylegoff
    chewmylegoff Posts: 11,466 Forumite
    Maybe not "economic boom", but this thread has all the references to how good this is for the UK economy... Note the words "significant benefit" on this thread, "kerching" on the other. The references to thousands of extra pounds spent in the economy. If we are just hung up on two words though, I agree you are right and I made a mistake and you win.

It's bizzare how you get so hung up on the words I used and then twist mine out of proportion to make your point. I actually questioned whether oil this low for 6 months was an issue. Yet you have twisted that (using the words, "you appear to suggest" and then taken issue with precise wording and what someone may or may not have said. I just don't get the internet warfare. Though it appears an important thing to many, including you it would seem.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5391495

I'm sure you will find that questioning of such obvious self contradiction is not merely limited to the internet. For instance, if you go in a shop and ask for 10 bananas and them demand to know why you haven't been given 6 cans of coke I am sure you will find your behaviour questioned in the real world as well.
  • Jonbvn
    Jonbvn Posts: 5,562 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    The most unexpected event during this drop in POO has to be the floatation of Aramco. Speculatively worth $4 trillion - ten times the market cap of Apple & Google combined.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jan/16/saudi-aramco-10-trillion-dollar-mystery-heart-of-gulf-state
    In case you hadn't already worked it out - the entire global financial system is predicated on the assumption that you're an idiot:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure