Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    • 67,660Posts
    • 124,659Thanks
    torbrex
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*
    • 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* 17th Jan 16 at 10:59 AM
    The old thread can be found here.

Please use this new thread to report any good finds in the Discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
    You can also report any not so good deals as a warning to others.

The Stollen bites and other xmas food was being given away FREE in my local Lidl this morning, plenty left and they want it shifted by next week.
Page 99
    • maman
    • By maman 24th Nov 17, 5:49 PM
    • 17,118 Posts
    • 102,382 Thanks
    maman
    I picked up some salad bits with 50% off yesterday at my Aldi. It was about 10.30am when i went. Bargain !
    Originally posted by meer53

I was really lucky last week. 30% off both macaroni cheese and lamb rogan josh, both of which I planned to buy anyway. And I was supposed to be running down the freezer!

I managed better in Aldi today, getting a bit more used to the new layout but it's still freezing cold in there. I'm thinking I might go back to the branch I defected to during the refurbishment.

No mange tout or sugarsnaps today or own brand porage oats.
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 24th Nov 17, 7:44 PM
    • 3,693 Posts
    • 22,616 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    I did well with reduced products at Aldi yesterday. 50% off a pack of diced chicken and 50% off a 900 gm pack of individually wrapped chicken breasts. Also the same saving on Lemon & Raisin pancakes, currant teacakes and a bag of mixed salad leaves.
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • meer53
    • By meer53 24th Nov 17, 8:27 PM
    • 8,981 Posts
    • 13,046 Thanks
    meer53
    I did well with reduced products at Aldi yesterday. 50% off a pack of diced chicken and 50% off a 900 gm pack of individually wrapped chicken breasts. Also the same saving on Lemon & Raisin pancakes, currant teacakes and a bag of mixed salad leaves.
    Originally posted by TravellingAbuela
    Don't know if you know but if you put some folded up kitchen roll in an opened bag of salad leaves, they last twice as long ? I've only just discovered this little gem of info
    • meer53
    • By meer53 24th Nov 17, 8:30 PM
    • 8,981 Posts
    • 13,046 Thanks
    meer53
    One for Nespresso owners.
    Mine is quite a small Aldi, but has limited edition Nespresso compatible coffee capsules in stock - caramel, vanilla, and chocolate flavour coffees.

£1.69 for ten, the same price as the standard capsules. No issues with them as yet, the vanilla is rather nice, yet to try the other two.
    Originally posted by mcculloch29
    Will have to try them. Although i am currently addicted to the Nespresso Snowball flavour limited edition ! Just had a liquorice one !
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 24th Nov 17, 9:20 PM
    • 2,740 Posts
    • 4,006 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Will have to try them. Although i am currently addicted to the Nespresso Snowball flavour limited edition ! Just had a liquorice one !
    What's the best/cheapest Nespresso machine you can buy? I'm fed up with the cost of Tassimo pods continually rising and there aren't any cheap substitutes, unlike Nespresso.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 24th Nov 17, 9:41 PM
    • 8,981 Posts
    • 13,046 Thanks
    meer53
    What's the best/cheapest Nespresso machine you can buy? I'm fed up with the cost of Tassimo pods continually rising and there aren't any cheap substitutes, unlike Nespresso.
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    I have the Inissia, i think i paid about £60 for it but i got vouchers for coffee worth £60 when i bought it earlier this year. We also have a Tassimo as my son drinks Costa coffee. I prefer the Nespresso coffees. Two totally different types of drinks though. Nespresso are mainly smaller servings which i like and they have much more variety than Tassimo.

Go to a Nespresso store, they'll show you all the machines and you can try the coffees before you buy them. I haven't found a substitute that can match Nespresso yet. Their coffee only works out at about 39p per cup. They've just brought out a new machine which makes larger servings but it's £199 and the pods are slightly more expensive, makes sense as they're bigger. This is the one i got.
    https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/coffee-machines-and-accessories/coffee-machines/nespresso-by-magimix-inissia-11350-coffee-machine-black-21949344-pdt.html
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 24th Nov 17, 9:46 PM
    • 9,501 Posts
    • 9,102 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Aldi regularly have a Nespresso compatible machine as a special buy. c. £30, I think.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 25th Nov 17, 2:33 AM
    • 26,088 Posts
    • 105,741 Thanks
    candygirl
    I've also got the espresso inissia, n love it 😜Got the aeroccino frother free with it, but didn't need it, so sold it for a good price 😌
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 25th Nov 17, 9:43 AM
    • 4,600 Posts
    • 45,235 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I was in a Lidl yesterday, a large one, and noticed the jars of lumpfish caviar were back, £1.69 I think, a lovely treat for Christmas buffets, if you like caviar.
    Which I do.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 25th Nov 17, 9:53 AM
    • 4,600 Posts
    • 45,235 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Aldi regularly have a Nespresso compatible machine as a special buy. c. £30, I think.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    I think it's nearer £50, tbh, not on the website at present.
    Mine is a Krups Pixie Clips. The Aldi machines got very mixed reviews, but perhaps the next time they sell one, improvements will have been made.

I love the Aldi capsules, which seem to all work well with my machine.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 25th Nov 17, 10:12 AM
    • 2,740 Posts
    • 4,006 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    I have the Inissia, i think i paid about £60 for it but i got vouchers for coffee worth £60 when i bought it earlier this year. We also have a Tassimo as my son drinks Costa coffee. I prefer the Nespresso coffees. Two totally different types of drinks though. Nespresso are mainly smaller servings which i like and they have much more variety than Tassimo.
    I also drink the Costa coffee (Americano) so is there anything similar tasting in the Nespresso range?
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 25th Nov 17, 11:23 AM
    • 26,088 Posts
    • 105,741 Thanks
    candygirl
    I think it's nearer £50, tbh, not on the website at present.
    Mine is a Krups Pixie Clips. The Aldi machines got very mixed reviews, but perhaps the next time they sell one, improvements will have been made.

I love the Aldi capsules, which seem to all work well with my machine.
    Originally posted by mcculloch29
    Yea the Columbian n Brazilian ones are fab 😛
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 25th Nov 17, 2:54 PM
    • 6,413 Posts
    • 19,307 Thanks
    Doc N
    Had you considered a bean to cup machine? Hugely cheaper to buy beans instead of any of the pods, and the machines pay for themselves in a pretty short time.

This one's down to £198.99 at the moment, and I can vouch for its performance and reliability - extremely well reviewed too:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-Magnifica-Espresso-Cappuccino-ESAM4200/dp/B001EOMZ5E/

(De'Longhi Magnifica Bean to Cup Espresso/Cappuccino Coffee Machine ESAM4200 - Silver)
    • meer53
    • By meer53 26th Nov 17, 2:55 PM
    • 8,981 Posts
    • 13,046 Thanks
    meer53
    I also drink the Costa coffee (Americano) so is there anything similar tasting in the Nespresso range?
    There are so many different coffees from Nespresso it's hard to say. There are about 4 or 5 ones that i buy regularly but i don't drink Costa coffee so can't compare them. My son is the Costa fan ! Visit a Nespresso store, you can try them all before you buy. I like my trips to the stores as i like to try different ones from time to time and i take my used pods back.

Bean to cup machines are good but i like the simplicity of using the pods, no mess, nothing to clean, the pods are recycled by Nespresso, you get a recycling bag and just take them back to the store. They'll collect them if you order from them or you can drop them off at selected other stores.
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 26th Nov 17, 7:10 PM
    • 1,648 Posts
    • 1,002 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    I was in Spain on holiday this year and was fascinated with the jamon - all the carving and attention paid to it, knife-sharpening etc was very impressive. It would have been very difficult to take home though.

Went to Lidl today and they have a 6.5kg one, with a stand for £29.99. I rashly bought one and had some for lunch. I'm now getting grumbled at because it is taking up a lot of space on the worktop - but its a cracking deal if you can work your way through a whole one in the next few weeks!
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 26th Nov 17, 11:13 PM
    • 4,600 Posts
    • 45,235 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    A bit of a messy buy, I like to use baby lotion for skin cleansing, and as Aldi doesn't stock it, I tried Lidl's own brand.
    The lotion is thin, as the bottle isn't heavy duty plastic either, just holding the bottle whilst opening it has resulted in a mini-eruption each time, so far. The store I was in had Johnson's on the shelves as well, which is unusual. Had others said 'This is carp, can you stock Johnson's?' I wonder?
    The lotion will probably be used up quite quickly given the speed it comes out of the bottle at, and the amount that's landed on the floor up to now.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 28th Nov 17, 8:19 PM
    • 7,031 Posts
    • 3,275 Thanks
    buglawton
    Bouquet of 10 pink roses, DW reported as costing £2. Very good quality. They've lasted a week till the next Aldi trip.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 28th Nov 17, 9:16 PM
    • 24,167 Posts
    • 50,807 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Bouquet of 10 pink roses, DW reported as costing £2. Very good quality. They've lasted a week till the next Aldi trip.
    Originally posted by buglawton
    The roses are nice. In the summer I buy them with a bunch of gladioli in a complimentary shade, and the display looks quite stunning.

I must thank the local Aldi for letting me come and go and take their deep produce boxes as I please. They are perfect for stacking books in.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 28th Nov 17, 9:31 PM
    • 9,501 Posts
    • 9,102 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    [Christmas Ice Cream Bites from Aldi]

Now I have cracked into them, I can confirm that they are small and taste ok, its the novelty and convenience of having them that accounts for the price. My 2-yo niece had been asking for strawberry ice-cream, andenjoyed them. According to my sister, it was like eating double cream but I don't agree. Aside from the presentation, there was nothing special about this ice-cream.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    I finally got hold of the Marc de Champagne flavour, and they are delicious. They definitely need to be left to thaw slightly, and the flavour and texture are not as good straight from the freezer.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 29th Nov 17, 11:04 PM
    • 7,614 Posts
    • 3,695 Thanks
    Stompa
    Hardly surprising I guess, but milk (4 pints) has now increased from 99p to £1.09.
    Stompa
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,426Posts Today

8,311Users online

Martin's Twitter