Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    • 67,660Posts
    • 124,659Thanks
    torbrex
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*
    • 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* 17th Jan 16 at 10:59 AM
    The old thread can be found here.

Please use this new thread to report any good finds in the Discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
    You can also report any not so good deals as a warning to others.

The Stollen bites and other xmas food was being given away FREE in my local Lidl this morning, plenty left and they want it shifted by next week.
Page 91
    • maman
    • By maman 9th Oct 17, 12:31 PM
    • 16,871 Posts
    • 100,798 Thanks
    maman
    My DH loves the blue bag Lidl muesli. He went into Lidl by chance to get some on Saturday and came home with 5 bags.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 9th Oct 17, 2:27 PM
    • 15,177 Posts
    • 61,997 Thanks
    Judi
    Fortunately my local Aldi and Lidl are side by side and its easy to pop into one after the other.

I am finding a pattern forming. I much prefer the cleaning products from Lidl, the fruit and veg, and the chocolate crunch cereal that both my Son and i like. More choice of prepacked juice in Lidl. The men take them to work. I'll pick up the luxury muesli on Friday. I usually just have porridge oats but muesli makes a change. Prefer the meat from Aldi but dont ask me why...

I'm going to try the nappies this weekend. I like to keep a stock in for when i have my Grandaughter.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th Oct 17, 3:38 PM
    • 23,563 Posts
    • 49,310 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I'm going to try the nappies this weekend. I like to keep a stock in for when i have my Grandaughter.
    Originally posted by Judi
    The nappies are good, but then are Sainsbury’s own brand. Much better value than Pampers.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 9th Oct 17, 4:08 PM
    • 9,272 Posts
    • 8,769 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Talking about museli.... this from Aldi. Tastes like cardboard and looks like it too. Supposed to be raisins in it but if there was any, i didnt see them and certainly didnt taste any.
    To be fair, the clue is in the words: "Swiss Style" and "no added sugar". Even going back to the original Alpen muesli, this was always like something from the pet shop, brightened only by the relatively generous amount of added sugar.

Personally, I think it works quite well with the addition of fresh fruit and yogurt, and my Degu likes the wheat flakes (back to the pet shop, again).
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 9th Oct 17, 5:27 PM
    • 2,697 Posts
    • 3,925 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Talking about museli.... this from Aldi. Tastes like cardboard and looks like it too. Supposed to be raisins in it but if there was any, i didnt see them and certainly didnt taste any.
    That's strange as I'm fairly certain it's identical to Dorset Cereals just in a different packaging.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 9th Oct 17, 7:43 PM
    • 6,315 Posts
    • 19,226 Thanks
    Doc N
    That's strange as I'm fairly certain it's identical to Dorset Cereals just in a different packaging.
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    Isn't it the Lidl Special Mueslis that are produced by Dorset? Been using them for years now, and I've never found any other muesli (including Aldi's) to match them for excellent quality at a fair price (particularly when they're among the weekend specials, as they were last weekend).
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Oct 17, 10:51 PM
    • 23,563 Posts
    • 49,310 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    the Almond and Hazelnut is very nutty, almost savoury.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    It took a while to track these down (they come in outers of mixed flavours) but I’m glad I did. They are a very handy handbag snack

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • RHemmings
    • By RHemmings 13th Oct 17, 8:23 PM
    • 2,021 Posts
    • 1,281 Thanks
    RHemmings
    I bought the 'Soulful One Pot' from Aldi today. The Brazillian Tomato and Black Bean with Cashews and Quinoa' flavour. It's a moderate serving of vegetable/nut stew in a plastic microwaveable container.

I don't think it's cheap at £1.99 for a serving, but I must admit that I liked it. I'd tried 'one pot' meals before and have not been that impressed. The 'Soulful One Pot' don't have rice or other 'separate' grain, it's a homeogenous stew. However, I found the flavour very nice with a mild spiciness, and a good coconut component to the flavour. Maybe a bit Thai-style flavour, though of course Brazil is nowhere near Thailand I liked the texture too. It was thick and 'full of stuff'. Much better than the frozen Moroccan spicy stew or whatever it was that I tried last week.

I bought the 'Clancy's' salted cashews. They're alright, but they seem a bit ... old to me. They're not too salty, unlike some Lidl ones I tried, but they don't seem anything like as good as some I bought from Tescos.
    Last edited by RHemmings; 13-10-2017 at 8:26 PM.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 14th Oct 17, 8:31 AM
    • 6,315 Posts
    • 19,226 Thanks
    Doc N
    Anyone interested in a reasonably priced sous vide wand with a three year warranty might consider the Aldi one available shortly online and instore from 19th October.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 14th Oct 17, 1:38 PM
    • 7,589 Posts
    • 3,673 Thanks
    Stompa
    Anyone interested in a reasonably priced sous vide wand with a three year warranty might consider the Aldi one available shortly online and instore from 19th October.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    I had to look that one up!
    Stompa
    • ladybabe
    • By ladybabe 14th Oct 17, 11:08 PM
    • 343 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    ladybabe
    aldi

goats cheese
    hallomi
    veg
    balsamic dressing
    bread mixes
    sun dried tomatoes
    artichoke hearts

are all amazing although my husband would say all the workshop stuff
    There are people so poor that the only thing they have is money
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 14th Oct 17, 11:22 PM
    • 25,864 Posts
    • 104,783 Thanks
    candygirl
    I had to look that one up!
    Originally posted by Stompa
    A typical, random, ALDI middle aisler
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • RHemmings
    • By RHemmings 14th Oct 17, 11:31 PM
    • 2,021 Posts
    • 1,281 Thanks
    RHemmings
    Originally posted by candygirl
    The thing that really made my jaw drop in Aldi was when they were selling the welding torch.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 14th Oct 17, 11:38 PM
    • 25,864 Posts
    • 104,783 Thanks
    candygirl
    The thing that really made my jaw drop in Aldi was when they were selling the welding torch.
    Originally posted by RHemmings
    The pony collars did it for me

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • VeGGie-STyLe
    • By VeGGie-STyLe 15th Oct 17, 1:18 AM
    • 153 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    VeGGie-STyLe
    The pony collars did it for me
    Check out the Specialbuys on Aldi's website from Thursday 5th October.... alongside all the Halloween costumes & decorations they have CHAINSAWS, HACK SAWS and AXES. Bit excessive, no?!
    Last edited by VeGGie-STyLe; 15-10-2017 at 1:19 AM. Reason: wrong date
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 15th Oct 17, 10:01 AM
    • 23,563 Posts
    • 49,310 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Isn't that part of the joy of an Aldi / Lidl shop?

• RHemmings
    • By RHemmings 15th Oct 17, 10:07 AM
    • 2,021 Posts
    • 1,281 Thanks
    RHemmings
    Chainsaw?!?!?!?!!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 15th Oct 17, 10:34 AM
    • 23,563 Posts
    • 49,310 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Chainsaw?!?!?!?!!
    For costume purposes, I am guessing.

• RHemmings
    • By RHemmings 15th Oct 17, 10:37 AM
    • 2,021 Posts
    • 1,281 Thanks
    RHemmings
    For costume purposes, I am guessing.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Oh. Having seen some heavy duty tools at Aldi, I thought this would be a real chainsaw.

Like this one: https://www.aldi.co.uk/gardenline-pole-pruner-chainsaw/p/078707169016900

(Except I imagined something even more heavy duty.)
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 15th Oct 17, 11:55 AM
    • 25,864 Posts
    • 104,783 Thanks
    candygirl
    Isn't that part of the joy of an Aldi / Lidl shop?
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Oh definitely 😁😀

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

50Posts Today

3,537Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin