Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    • 67,660Posts
    • 124,659Thanks
    torbrex
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*
    • 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* 17th Jan 16 at 10:59 AM
    The old thread can be found here.

Please use this new thread to report any good finds in the Discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
    You can also report any not so good deals as a warning to others.

The Stollen bites and other xmas food was being given away FREE in my local Lidl this morning, plenty left and they want it shifted by next week.
Page 90
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 3rd Oct 17, 6:02 PM
    • 23,551 Posts
    • 49,287 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I guess that reflects a no-quibbles approach to refunds!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 3rd Oct 17, 7:12 PM
    • 2,697 Posts
    • 3,925 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    I guess that reflects a no-quibbles approach to refunds!
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Argos are just as bad for recycling returned stock back into sales stock without fully checking them first. I once bought a food processor which still had dough remnants on the blade and in the bowl
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 3rd Oct 17, 7:14 PM
    • 2,697 Posts
    • 3,925 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Tried the Lidl icing sugar.

On the plus side, it didn't coat my immediate surroundings in a fine layer, it made easily into icing and a good texture.

On the minus side, the layer of sieved sugar in the bowl was not very fine, and the icing didn't taste so sweet.

I think in balance I will use the box up & then go back to my usual brand.
    Originally posted by KxMx
    Surely icing sugar is icing sugar, no matter who makes it? You can even make it yourself at home lol

It's purely finely ground sugar!
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 4th Oct 17, 2:03 AM
    • 7,148 Posts
    • 10,004 Thanks
    KxMx
    I don't disagree with you, but my experience is as i posted.
    Perhaps Lidl do not grind the sugar quite so much as my usual brand
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 4th Oct 17, 7:30 PM
    • 5,131 Posts
    • 6,532 Thanks
    A. Badger
    This 'when is icing sugar not icing sugar' has a curious parallel that I'd never thought to mention before: with table salt. Aldi's is so finely ground that it's like powder, which I find very unusual, particularly as I tend to like using large sea salt crystals directly on food.

Has anyone any idea why they grind it so fine? Or does it naturally come that way?
    • maman
    • By maman 5th Oct 17, 4:36 PM
    • 16,866 Posts
    • 100,759 Thanks
    maman
    This 'when is icing sugar not icing sugar' has a curious parallel that I'd never thought to mention before: with table salt. Aldi's is so finely ground that it's like powder, which I find very unusual, particularly as I tend to like using large sea salt crystals directly on food.

Has anyone any idea why they grind it so fine? Or does it naturally come that way?
    Originally posted by A. Badger

I don't think so. When salt water evaporates it forms crystals not fine powder. It's only really in recent years, I believe, that coarse sea salt has become 'fashionable' so maybe that's why the traditional 'table salt' seems very fine in comparison. The sort of salt cellars that have always been on caf! tables and fish and chip shops have always relied on finely ground salt to run smoothly. Grinders for salt (and even pepper) are a relatively new thing in this country IMO.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 5th Oct 17, 8:41 PM
    • 23,551 Posts
    • 49,287 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I made enquiries and it seems it is temporarily discontinued. I've never know it to be shoved aside for Christmas before. Esp in September
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Am pleased to report both the Genoese and rosso are back

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 5th Oct 17, 10:27 PM
    • 7,587 Posts
    • 3,670 Thanks
    Stompa
    Surely icing sugar is icing sugar, no matter who makes it? You can even make it yourself at home lol

It's purely finely ground sugar!
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    Apparently, it also contains an anti-caking agent, which can make a difference:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/aug/10/switch-in-sugar-ingredients-provokes-cake-decorators-wrath
    Stompa
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 6th Oct 17, 1:43 PM
    • 23,551 Posts
    • 49,287 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Yes, and don’t come back without any cake
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 12-10-2017 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Quoting deleted post

• middy991
    • By middy991 6th Oct 17, 8:37 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    middy991
    Anyone seen the Aldi Yorkshire pudding burrito yet
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 6th Oct 17, 8:55 PM
    • 2,063 Posts
    • 8,498 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    The basic grated cheese from Lidl tastes better than the one from Aldi and is less greasy when grilled.
    I also find the resealable pack from Lidl easier to close.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Walk 2000 3000 miles in 2017 - 2631.8
    This week 71.4
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 7th Oct 17, 11:48 AM
    • 5,131 Posts
    • 6,532 Thanks
    A. Badger
    I don't think so. When salt water evaporates it forms crystals not fine powder. It's only really in recent years, I believe, that coarse sea salt has become 'fashionable' so maybe that's why the traditional 'table salt' seems very fine in comparison. The sort of salt cellars that have always been on caf! tables and fish and chip shops have always relied on finely ground salt to run smoothly. Grinders for salt (and even pepper) are a relatively new thing in this country IMO.
    Originally posted by maman
    Aldi table salt is very much finer than the table salt we're used to - the Saxa, Cerebos (is that still made?) kind. I'm not sure I like it, actually, but it made me wonder why. There's no way you could confuse them, they're quite different. I suppose one advantage would be that it would dissolve more quickly, but beyond that I'm at a loss to see why it's made that way.

As for sea salt, it's been around for a long while (Malden, the barand, was used in the Victorian era) but it was very unusual to find it in homes, I agree. Going back, of course, there was the coarse 'cooking salt' as it was termed. You don't see that today, either. Aldi seems to have found something different from all of these! Perhaps it's a German thing...
    • RHemmings
    • By RHemmings 7th Oct 17, 12:40 PM
    • 2,021 Posts
    • 1,281 Thanks
    RHemmings
    Aldi have some frozen 'Specially Selected' 'SlimFree' meals. As I type, I'm eating the Spicy Moroccan Vegetable Stew.

It's quite nice. I don't taste anything particularly exotic in the flavours. It tastes very much like generic chilli stew. The flavour is quite nice (if slightly generic), and it tastes reasonably like fresh cooked food. It is, as it says on the packaging, a generous single portion. It describes the heat level as hot (three chillis) but I'd describe it as medium. The vegetables are typical low calories things such as squash courgettes etc. No beans. Spicy tomato sauce. The packaging perhaps make it look as if it has more vegetables and less sauce than it does in reality.

IMHO this product 'does what it says on the tin'. But, it's a bit similar to the stews I used to make when I was dieting: low calorie vegetables + tomato sauce + garlic + spices + seasoning. Especially with the cardboard and plastic packaging, and the relative ease of cooking something like this, I sort of felt it's a bit wasteful to buy a ready made one. This isn't a criticism of the product which is a good example of what it is, just a bit of self-reflection to add to the review.
    Last edited by RHemmings; 07-10-2017 at 12:46 PM.
    • maman
    • By maman 7th Oct 17, 6:02 PM
    • 16,866 Posts
    • 100,759 Thanks
    maman
    Aldi have some frozen 'Specially Selected' 'SlimFree' meals. As I type, I'm eating the Spicy Moroccan Vegetable Stew.

It's quite nice. I don't taste anything particularly exotic in the flavours. It tastes very much like generic chilli stew. The flavour is quite nice (if slightly generic), and it tastes reasonably like fresh cooked food. It is, as it says on the packaging, a generous single portion. It describes the heat level as hot (three chillis) but I'd describe it as medium. The vegetables are typical low calories things such as squash courgettes etc. No beans. Spicy tomato sauce. The packaging perhaps make it look as if it has more vegetables and less sauce than it does in reality.

IMHO this product 'does what it says on the tin'. But, it's a bit similar to the stews I used to make when I was dieting: low calorie vegetables + tomato sauce + garlic + spices + seasoning. Especially with the cardboard and plastic packaging, and the relative ease of cooking something like this, I sort of felt it's a bit wasteful to buy a ready made one. This isn't a criticism of the product which is a good example of what it is, just a bit of self-reflection to add to the review.
    Originally posted by RHemmings

Thanks for your review. I've not tried them myself but I understand these meals are copies of the Iceland Slimming World meals but, as ever, much cheaper. Slimming World is allegedly taking legal action but as Aldi has lookalikes/soundalikes of many branded products they probably will just enjoy the publicity.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 8th Oct 17, 6:16 PM
    • 2,697 Posts
    • 3,925 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Thanks for your review. I've not tried them myself but I understand these meals are copies of the Iceland Slimming World meals but, as ever, much cheaper. Slimming World is allegedly taking legal action but as Aldi has lookalikes/soundalikes of many branded products they probably will just enjoy the publicity.
    Originally posted by maman
    My issue with "slimmers" meals is they're usually considerably higher in salt & sugar to compensate for the reduced levels of fat. I certainly know WW products are guilty of this but I haven't checked nutritional values of these other products.

The reason being, fat is not the problem, it's sugar! So these diet products are actually more harmful than their regular counterparts.
    • atrixa
    • By atrixa 8th Oct 17, 8:41 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    atrixa
    Anyone seen the Aldi Yorkshire pudding burrito yet
    Originally posted by middy991
    My boyfriend was looking for that when we were in Aldi earlier today, but he couldn't see it.
    Other disappointments-
    Aldi black grapes (vile, might have to juice them as the texture is so odd)
    Lidl fruit bakes- these taste awful imo, the Aldi Fruit and Grain bars are much nicer.
    Aldi version of cheerios, too much sugar.

Some wins:
    Aldi salad tomatoes, very nice quality and they lasted ages
    Aldi gherkins
    Aldi orange juice (no bits)
    I work in Pensions and I'm currently saving for my first house deposit
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 8th Oct 17, 9:26 PM
    • 9,271 Posts
    • 8,769 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Lidl No Added Sugar Muesli bars are very impressive: two of the flavours have 0.5g of Sugars per bar or less, which is excellent (some similar products have 20 times this). The Chocolate flavour remains quite sweet (with artificial sweeteners), whilst the Almond and Hazelnut is very nutty, almost savoury.

Also, they are the same price as the ordinary Muesli bars (though slightly smaller): £1.19 for 8 bars.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 8th Oct 17, 10:32 PM
    • 23,551 Posts
    • 49,287 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    the Almond and Hazelnut is very nutty, almost savoury.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Thanks for the recommendation, got to try them!

• Judi
    • By Judi 8th Oct 17, 11:13 PM
    • 15,175 Posts
    • 61,976 Thanks
    Judi
    Talking about museli.... this from Aldi. Tastes like cardboard and looks like it too. Supposed to be raisins in it but if there was any, i didnt see them and certainly didnt taste any.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th Oct 17, 2:29 AM
    • 23,551 Posts
    • 49,287 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Talking about museli.... this from Aldi. Tastes like cardboard and looks like it too. Supposed to be raisins in it but if there was any, i didnt see them and certainly didnt taste any.
    Originally posted by Judi
    The you have to try this:

It was on offer this weekend, but is still worth buying at full price.

ETA: I’m not hungry, but could devour a bowl now. Yes, even in the middle of the night

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

302Posts Today

3,512Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin