Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    • 67,660Posts
    • 124,659Thanks
    torbrex
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*
    • 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* 17th Jan 16 at 10:59 AM
    The old thread can be found here.

Please use this new thread to report any good finds in the Discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
    You can also report any not so good deals as a warning to others.

The Stollen bites and other xmas food was being given away FREE in my local Lidl this morning, plenty left and they want it shifted by next week.
Page 89
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 26th Sep 17, 9:17 PM
    • 6,314 Posts
    • 19,222 Thanks
    Doc N
    Ive registered my HSBC debit card and have this offer. How does it work ? Does HSBC automatically credit my account with £10 if I spend over £40 ?
    Originally posted by charlies_mum
    Exactly that. And you can buy whatever you want, including alcohol, because HSBC see only the total spent.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 26th Sep 17, 9:29 PM
    • 1,848 Posts
    • 1,869 Thanks
    robin58
    Ive registered my HSBC debit card and have this offer. How does it work ? Does HSBC automatically credit my account with £10 if I spend over £40 ?
    Santander do something similar in giving cashback on shopping.

You have to use the registered card.

They what they do it is to credit my account once a month with all the discounts I have earned over a monthly period. So can be up to a month until you see the money.

One word of advise, always keep your receipt(s) safe until you are credited the cashback into your account, as you may need it as proof if have to argue with HSBC for the cashback.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 27th Sep 17, 9:28 AM
    • 6,270 Posts
    • 3,977 Thanks
    Ken68
    Just bought some Cooking Bacon from Lidl...looks no different that standard bacon slices.
    1kg £1.15.....though it came out at the till as £1.02p.
    Vacuum packed Use by 14th November.
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 27th Sep 17, 12:19 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 938 Thanks
    treboeth
    Just bought some Cooking Bacon from Lidl...looks no different that standard bacon slices.
    1kg £1.15.....though it came out at the till as £1.02p.
    Vacuum packed Use by 14th November.
    Originally posted by Ken68
    You got lucky if you had slices, I bought a pack last week that had what I can only describe as bacon steaks, it was absolutely awful having to eat them honestly 😋.
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 27th Sep 17, 2:16 PM
    • 6,270 Posts
    • 3,977 Thanks
    Ken68
    Normally get cooking bacon from Heron, which is variable, sometimes Gammon lumps sometimes scrag ends.
    • ariba10
    • By ariba10 27th Sep 17, 2:41 PM
    • 5,162 Posts
    • 5,613 Thanks
    ariba10
    You got lucky if you had slices, I bought a pack last week that had what I can only describe as bacon steaks, it was absolutely awful having to eat them honestly 😋.
    Originally posted by treboeth
    We love them. We use them in soups and stews.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 27th Sep 17, 7:44 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 938 Thanks
    treboeth
    We love them. We use them in soups and stews.
    Originally posted by ariba10
    Same here, but sometimes you get the hardship of finding either rashers or steaks sized pieces and it`s George Foreman time for those
    • Phil&Michelle
    • By Phil&Michelle 28th Sep 17, 9:30 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Phil&Michelle
    Have You Switched To Lidl or Aldi from one the the big 4?
    About 1 year ago we made the decision to stop shopping with Tesco as our bills were creeping out to £150-£200 per week! I know its a lot but we have 3 kids under 5 and the Mother in law who lives with us so it's a full house.

We shopped with Tesco for 15 years but in the big crash in 2007 to save money we switched from the big brands to Tesco own label but over the years Tesco became greedy and eroded the price difference between Tesco own label and branded goods.

So last summer I said lets try Lidl or Aldi. We started shopping at both to begin with, discovering what we liked and what we didn't. After a lot of experimenting and our own taste tests, 1 year on we now buy 99% of what we need in Lidl and I have to say that most if not all of what we buy is better quality and tastes better than Tesco.

In our opinion Lidl has the edge on taste and quality over Aldi (only just) but Lidl stores can be a bit like a jumble sale, with messy shelves and queues at the tills, Aldi has the service element nailed and it is a nicer place to shop.

So what are we saving? Around £50-£75 per week! Yep, over there year our savings are around £3500 which is enough for a great family holiday. To achieve these types of savings you need to switch everything to the their own brands and by everything I mean everything; toiletries, groceries, frozen, sauces, crisps and coffee. I must admit, I was a bit nervous about washing myself with 39p shower gel but its smells divine and I've never felt so clean lol.

What are you waiting for, take the challenge lol.

Here are a few winners from our own personal taste tests (all from Lidl unless stated)

Tinned Tom & Basil Soup - Amazing!
    Columbian Instant Coffee - Delish!
    Fresh Thai Green Chicken Curry Read Meal - Restaurant Quality, amazing flavours
    Maris Piper Chunk Chips - Nice
    Sweet Chilli Lentil Curls - Lovely and low fat too (Nice in both Lidl & Aldi)
    Frozen Choc Almond ice creams - Nom Nom Nom (magnums in a differnt wrapper and half the price)
    Enchilada Cooking sauce - Nice
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 29th Sep 17, 5:56 AM
    • 992 Posts
    • 784 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    You’re a bit late to the party! We done this years ago. The few things you can’t get in Lidl and ALDI you get in home bargains or b & m. We simply can’t afford to do the main shop in Tesco anymore. Aldi is much better than Lidl at getting people through the tills.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 29th Sep 17, 7:22 AM
    • 23,519 Posts
    • 49,234 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    You’re a bit late to the party! We done this years ago.
    Originally posted by ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    But like the church, all comers are welcome
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 29th Sep 17, 9:19 AM
    • 9,255 Posts
    • 8,751 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Fresh Thai Green Chicken Curry Ready Meal - Restaurant Quality, amazing flavours
    Originally posted by Phil&Michelle
    Both the Lidl Red and Green Thai Curries are nice. However, they both have way more salt that is appropriate (the Green is worse), especially for spicy dishes that don't need as much salt.

IIRC of all the chilled ready meals in Lidl, only the Chilli con Carne has a sensible amount of salt.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 29th Sep 17, 9:21 AM
    • 6,314 Posts
    • 19,222 Thanks
    Doc N
    About 1 year ago we made the decision to stop shopping with Tesco as our bills were creeping out to £150-£200 per week! I know its a lot but we have 3 kids under 5 and the Mother in law who lives with us so it's a full house.

So last summer I said lets try Lidl or Aldi. We started shopping at both to begin with, discovering what we liked and what we didn't. After a lot of experimenting and our own taste tests, 1 year on we now buy 99% of what we need in Lidl and I have to say that most if not all of what we buy is better quality and tastes better than Tesco.........
    Welcome to the club - and I guarantee you won't go back to Tesco now that you've discovered the secret! Everything now seems overpriced in the major supermarkets, essentially because it is.
    • Phil&Michelle
    • By Phil&Michelle 29th Sep 17, 9:51 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Phil&Michelle
    Not tried the chilli ready meal. Is it good? The chilli cooking sauce is nice
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 29th Sep 17, 10:17 AM
    • 9,255 Posts
    • 8,751 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Not tried the chilli ready meal. Is it good? The chilli cooking sauce is nice
    Yes, it's very nice - good medium spicy flavour, not too greasy, plenty of sauce & rice. The rice is well cooked, though not as nice as the sticky rice in the Thai Curries.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 29-09-2017 at 6:11 PM.
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Phil&Michelle
    • By Phil&Michelle 29th Sep 17, 11:00 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Phil&Michelle
    Will give it a go on my next shop. Also just had the fresh chicken and bacon penne pasta in the black round tray which was very nice.
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 29th Sep 17, 4:52 PM
    • 6,682 Posts
    • 29,926 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    Welcome to the club - and I guarantee you won't go back to Tesco now that you've discovered the secret! Everything now seems overpriced in the major supermarkets, essentially because it is.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    Had to go into one of the big four supermarkets last week and was shocked by the prices ! Back to Lidl for me.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 29th Sep 17, 5:38 PM
    • 6,270 Posts
    • 3,977 Thanks
    Ken68
    Tesco are trying to recover the £129m fine for bad accounting. No prison sentences though.
    The directors should have been made to serve in Lidl for 6 months.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 29th Sep 17, 8:13 PM
    • 7,145 Posts
    • 10,000 Thanks
    KxMx
    Tried the Lidl icing sugar.

On the plus side, it didn't coat my immediate surroundings in a fine layer, it made easily into icing and a good texture.

On the minus side, the layer of sieved sugar in the bowl was not very fine, and the icing didn't taste so sweet.

I think in balance I will use the box up & then go back to my usual brand.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 29th Sep 17, 8:17 PM
    • 9,255 Posts
    • 8,751 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Had to go into one of the big four supermarkets last week and was shocked by the prices ! Back to Lidl for me.
    The very nice 200g French Brie cheese is reduced to 85p in Lidl at the moment. That's 1980s prices in the Big 4.

• PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 3rd Oct 17, 11:02 AM
    • 591 Posts
    • 586 Thanks
    PLRFD
    Man gets free sandwich at Aldi.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4599890/dad-stunned-after-buying-toastie-machine-in-aldi-only-to-find-a-mouldy-sandwich-inside/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

330Posts Today

2,980Users online

Martin's Twitter