Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    • 67,660Posts
    • 124,659Thanks
    torbrex
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*
    • 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* 17th Jan 16 at 10:59 AM
    The old thread can be found here.

Please use this new thread to report any good finds in the Discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
    You can also report any not so good deals as a warning to others.

The Stollen bites and other xmas food was being given away FREE in my local Lidl this morning, plenty left and they want it shifted by next week.
Page 87
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 3rd Sep 17, 12:02 PM
    • 7,601 Posts
    • 3,688 Thanks
    Stompa
    I've always assumed that shops, to avoid mistakes, had some sort of automated printer to print shelf edge price labels. Clearly that's not the case at Aldi:

Stompa
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 3rd Sep 17, 5:47 PM
    • 23,921 Posts
    • 50,206 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    We could really do with electronic SELs here. They've been commonly used in Europe for ages!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • robin58
    • By robin58 3rd Sep 17, 11:38 PM
    • 1,973 Posts
    • 2,028 Thanks
    robin58
    We could really do with electronic SELs here. They've been commonly used in Europe for ages!
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    3 of the big 4 Supermarkets here have been trying them out for a while in test stores but there is no firm commitments of any introduction yet.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 4th Sep 17, 6:05 AM
    • 6,388 Posts
    • 19,290 Thanks
    Doc N
    3 of the big 4 Supermarkets here have been trying them out for a while in test stores but there is no firm commitments of any introduction yet.
    Originally posted by robin58
    The ability to bring in dynamic pricing will make it happen soon.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 4th Sep 17, 11:55 AM
    • 7,342 Posts
    • 13,482 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I've always assumed that shops, to avoid mistakes, had some sort of automated printer to print shelf edge price labels. Clearly that's not the case at Aldi:

Originally posted by Stompa
    Most supermarkets, there are ways that tickets are processed.
    1. When promo cycles start/end, HQ will send them the files to print them off
    2. If a ticket is missing or damaged, the shop staff can request a new ticket to be printed on a handset
    3. When rearranging shelving, they print off new tickets as they have the updated capacity on them. So that gets adjusted with the replenishment and auto ordering in the future.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 4th Sep 17, 12:37 PM
    • 9,423 Posts
    • 8,980 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    It looks as though the per kg price there dates from a previous promotion when the Blueberries were 69p/150g. The correct per kg price should be £7.00.

From a procedural/IT POV this seems quite a basic error.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 4th Sep 17, 1:15 PM
    • 2,708 Posts
    • 3,954 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Aldi have some frozen Rainbow trout at the moment.

I defrosted mine and dusted them in seasoned flour before frying in butter.

Really nice subtle flavours. Recommended.
    Originally posted by Sam Fallow
    They also have fresh smoked rainbow trout fillets which are absolutely delicious.
    • RHemmings
    • By RHemmings 4th Sep 17, 3:09 PM
    • 2,022 Posts
    • 1,284 Thanks
    RHemmings
    I've just eaten Lidl 'Snacktastic sundried tomato and basil Pitta chips' with red pepper humous.

Alone the chips are quite nice, with a good flavour. The red pepper hummous is OK, but has the least distinctive flavour of any 'red pepper' hummous I know.

But, for some reason, eat the hummous with the chips and the flavours together are seriously yum! I'm eating this again.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 5th Sep 17, 7:33 PM
    • 7,003 Posts
    • 3,227 Thanks
    buglawton
    Banrock Station Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon Shiraz (purple label). The ms bought it I thought, a £7 wine even at Aldi prices, but it's £4.57.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 5th Sep 17, 7:36 PM
    • 7,003 Posts
    • 3,227 Thanks
    buglawton
    Oh and the Aldi stonebaked thin & crispy spinach & ricotta pizza was good, very thin base, very tomatoey.
    • atrixa
    • By atrixa 5th Sep 17, 8:09 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    atrixa
    Currently sat watching Bake Off eating the Cookies and Cream biscuits from Aldi. Nice, but slightly bonfire-y aftertaste. It's oddly growing on me...

I've also got the Groovy biscuits from the same brand. They're fun, but most of it is now on my carpet because of the crumbs :/
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Sep 17, 3:26 AM
    • 23,921 Posts
    • 50,206 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Has anyone tried this, and would you recommend it? Apparently Aldi will be selling jeroboams of the stuff at Christmas. (I don't think it's the Cremant de Jura that maman has recommended in the past).

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 15th Sep 17, 8:09 PM
    • 6,812 Posts
    • 30,363 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    Bought a bag of the XXL Paprika Cruspies ( think they were 99p ). They are absolutely gorgeous and I have eaten half the pack in one g o

Will be stocking up on these.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
    • CAZBEAR
    • By CAZBEAR 15th Sep 17, 9:35 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 688 Thanks
    CAZBEAR
    just tried Lidl oven chips, 63p a bag and just as good , if not better than other supermarket brands.
    Best headline ever on local paper??

"Weight loss group doubles in size"
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 17th Sep 17, 6:28 PM
    • 23,921 Posts
    • 50,206 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Has anyone seen pesto - green or red (which I know isn't technically pesto) - at Lidl lately? Its been OOS at every branch I've visited.

• Miró
    • By Miró 17th Sep 17, 8:03 PM
    • 5,486 Posts
    • 22,950 Thanks
    Miró
    Has anyone seen pesto - green or red (which I know isn't technically pesto) - at Lidl lately? Its been OOS at every branch I've visited.
    Has disappeared from my Lidl too lately....also missing at the moment are the boxes of oatcakes. Fortunately Aldi still have both in stock

One of my favourite snacks is a couple of oatcakes with sliced piccolo tomatoes and a big dollop of green pesto on top!
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 17th Sep 17, 8:03 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    PLRFD
    Yes both in my local one at the mo.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 17th Sep 17, 8:27 PM
    • 26,033 Posts
    • 105,466 Thanks
    candygirl
    Just had the ALDI oven chips in green packet.They were really thin and soggy , wouldn't buy them again
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 17th Sep 17, 9:00 PM
    • 9,423 Posts
    • 8,980 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    My Lidl has Filippo Berio pesto as a special buy. I never liked the look of Lidl's normal pesto, so never bought it.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 19th Sep 17, 2:56 PM
    • 23,921 Posts
    • 50,206 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I made enquiries and it seems it is temporarily discontinued. I've never know it to be shoved aside for Christmas before. Esp in September

On the positive, the Lidl version of chocolate hobnobs is just the ticket with a mug of tea as the nights draw in...

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,034Posts Today

8,285Users online

Martin's Twitter