Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    • 67,660Posts
    • 124,659Thanks
    torbrex
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*
    • 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* 17th Jan 16 at 10:59 AM
    The old thread can be found here.

Please use this new thread to report any good finds in the Discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
    You can also report any not so good deals as a warning to others.

The Stollen bites and other xmas food was being given away FREE in my local Lidl this morning, plenty left and they want it shifted by next week.
Page 81
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 16th Jul 17, 7:35 PM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 7,351 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Bought the Floralys Aloe Vera supersoft toilet tissue in the Super Weekend a few weeks ago, I wont be buying that again, it is rubbish.

It says 3ply on the packet but it is so thin that I need to use twice as much as the Nikki tissue and also, it wont tear at the perforations very easily
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Walk 2000 miles in 2017 - 2027.6
    This week 70.3
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 17th Jul 17, 11:53 AM
    • 577 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    PLRFD
    Lidl's Rounds are identical to Viscounts.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 21st Jul 17, 7:44 AM
    • 6,945 Posts
    • 12,702 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Aldi's Holly Lane range is made by Mr Kipling. Though I haven't eaten this stuff for ages. I remember going to Aldi once and they had both MK and HL Battenberg cake next to each other and they were identical - bar the MK one which was 20-25p more, At the time of me looking at both - a customer picked up a MK one and I said they are the same as the HL. Customer's reply "Don't be stupid"
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 21st Jul 17, 8:26 AM
    • 6,230 Posts
    • 19,152 Thanks
    Doc N
    Aldi's Holly Lane range is made by Mr Kipling. Though I haven't eaten this stuff for ages. I remember going to Aldi once and they had both MK and HL Battenberg cake next to each other and they were identical - bar the MK one which was 20-25p more, At the time of me looking at both - a customer picked up a MK one and I said they are the same as the HL. Customer's reply "Don't be stupid"
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    The power of the brand! And you still get died in the wool Tesco/Morrisons/Asda customers who refuse to shop at Aldi and Lidl because "It's all cheap foreign rubbish".

Interesting, isn't it, that it's often the people who can least afford to shop at Morrisons/Tesco/Asda who refuse to shop anywhere else.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 21st Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    • 22,944 Posts
    • 47,814 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Customer's reply "Don't be stupid"
    Right back atchya!

• PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 21st Jul 17, 1:23 PM
    • 577 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    PLRFD
    Oooo she's pretty cute.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 21st Jul 17, 3:23 PM
    • 6,945 Posts
    • 12,702 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    The power of the brand! And you still get died in the wool Tesco/Morrisons/Asda customers who refuse to shop at Aldi and Lidl because "It's all cheap foreign rubbish".

Interesting, isn't it, that it's often the people who can least afford to shop at Morrisons/Tesco/Asda who refuse to shop anywhere else.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    They are ignorant.

When A and L first opened here, did the products have English translated stickers on most of them?

I shop for my produce in Asda as they keep for longer. For lunch, I had some raspberries from Asda dated 17th. No mould. Aldi's would have mould on them on the day
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 21st Jul 17, 3:29 PM
    • 6,945 Posts
    • 12,702 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I work in retail and some of my customers don't shop at A or L as they don't like the speed of the cashiers scanning and put off packing away on a work top high shelf.

Another reason is that they don't seem to think customers want to buy a few items and have to queue up with customers buying 70 plus items. Though credit to Lidl for having self scans
    • Happygreen
    • By Happygreen 22nd Jul 17, 8:18 AM
    • 2,425 Posts
    • 9,748 Thanks
    Happygreen
    Aldi has some so called paleo/raw nut bars by the tills - just thought I'd mention that they are extremely yummy and considering what we'd be paying for a similar bar at Holland & Barrett - real brain food
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 22nd Jul 17, 10:01 AM
    • 59,628 Posts
    • 348,264 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ... put off packing away on a work top high shelf.
    I put stuff onto the conveyor belt in precisely the order I wish to pack them. So as fast as it's coming through I'm packing it as I know it's already in the right (weight/shape/size) order.

If you plan the till like a strategic operation it's swift/smooth ... and the worktops can be used for a final jiggle/rethink if required.

The hardest thing is if I've popped in for a quick look, without having my own bag, and ended up buying 5-6 things in a basket as I then leave the store with everything in my arms as you leave the basket before the conveyor belt. I do sometimes take the basket through, so I can take it to the worktop to empty it into my arms... then they remind you "you can't take that out of the store", as the alarms go off. Since I've got a Granny Trolley though it's easier to "shop on a whim, not expecting you're buying things and suddenly spotting something"
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 22nd Jul 17, 10:13 AM
    • 9,072 Posts
    • 8,512 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I take their empty boxes to carry my shopping in - either boxes that are empty on the shelves (doing them a favour by clearing them) or the ones that have already been collected (usually into a giant cardboard box).

I use the waste boxes to pack eBay sales.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • maman
    • By maman 22nd Jul 17, 12:33 PM
    • 16,386 Posts
    • 97,945 Thanks
    maman
    I put stuff onto the conveyor belt in precisely the order I wish to pack them. So as fast as it's coming through I'm packing it as I know it's already in the right (weight/shape/size) order.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew

I do exactly that. I don't find it a problem at all. I think that's another bonus of Aldi and Lidl: having small shops it doesn't take long to get around so with the fast checkout it's win/win.

I suppose like most things it's about 'you pay your money and take your choice'. If people want to pay through the nose at other SMs for a slower shopping experience then let them.

I do stop briefly at the counter to check my receipt just in case.
    • Happygreen
    • By Happygreen 22nd Jul 17, 1:15 PM
    • 2,425 Posts
    • 9,748 Thanks
    Happygreen
    Isn't this thread about products? Only asking as it seems to get cluttered atm with discussing other stuff to do with Aldi and Lidl. Surely there are other threads to discuss packing methods or why other people do not shop there.....Sorry, folks, for nitpicking but threads do have a topic for a reason and I find scrolling a waste of time.
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 22nd Jul 17, 2:10 PM
    • 2,671 Posts
    • 3,873 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    I work in retail and some of my customers don't shop at A or L as they don't like the speed of the cashiers scanning and put off packing away on a work top high shelf.

Another reason is that they don't seem to think customers want to buy a few items and have to queue up with customers buying 70 plus items. Though credit to Lidl for having self scans
    I just place everything back in the trolley as it's scanned then take it out to the car and pack into boxes/bags there. Much easier.

And as for people only having a few items, they are usually invited to go in front of customers with a loaded up trolley. It can often take me quite a while to unpack my trolley onto the belt so often two or three customers will be served in front of me if they've only got a few things.

Only selfish, ignorant people would make someone with just a handful of items wait inline behind them.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 22nd Jul 17, 2:15 PM
    • 2,671 Posts
    • 3,873 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I do exactly the same. I even go so far as to segregate my shopping into different areas of the trolley as I shop. It makes it easier to sort and then I can get it scanned in exactly the right order I want to reload the trolley. When I get to the car I have designated bags/coolbox for each category so it's easy just to fill the right bags as I unload.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 22nd Jul 17, 2:19 PM
    • 7,569 Posts
    • 3,658 Thanks
    Stompa
    Aldi has some so called paleo/raw nut bars by the tills - just thought I'd mention that they are extremely yummy and considering what we'd be paying for a similar bar at Holland & Barrett - real brain food
    Originally posted by Happygreen
    I tried something called 'Foodie Market - Paleo Wholefood Bars - Cashew Crush'. Now I should point out that I have no idea what 'paleo' is, but they were not at all what I was expecting. They were obscenely sweet, and if you didn't already know, you wouldn't be able to tell that they contained nuts, let alone that they were cashews! Personally, I won't be buying again.
    Stompa
    • Happygreen
    • By Happygreen 22nd Jul 17, 2:23 PM
    • 2,425 Posts
    • 9,748 Thanks
    Happygreen
    I just place everything back in the trolley as it's scanned then take it out to the car and pack into boxes/bags there. Much easier.

And as for people only having a few items, they are usually invited to go in front of customers with a loaded up trolley. It can often take me quite a while to unpack my trolley onto the belt so often two or three customers will be served in front of me if they've only got a few things.

Only selfish, ignorant people would make someone with just a handful of items wait inline behind them.
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    How much longer? Surely there are other threads to discuss packing methods or how selfish and ignorant other shoppers are....If not, create one. Products, anyone?
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 22nd Jul 17, 2:26 PM
    • 6,230 Posts
    • 19,152 Thanks
    Doc N
    How much longer? Surely there are other threads to discuss packing methods or how selfish and ignorant other shoppers are....If not, create one. Products, anyone?
    Originally posted by Happygreen
    Since you're so unhappy with the thread, maybe you could add some product details yourself? Or perhaps look elsewhere?
    • Happygreen
    • By Happygreen 22nd Jul 17, 2:31 PM
    • 2,425 Posts
    • 9,748 Thanks
    Happygreen
    Since you're so unhappy with the thread, maybe you could add some product details yourself? Or perhaps look elsewhere?
    Originally posted by Doc N
    If you scroll up past your contributions you can just find one. I am very happy with the topic of the thread but not with it being hijacked on and on.
    • Happygreen
    • By Happygreen 22nd Jul 17, 2:40 PM
    • 2,425 Posts
    • 9,748 Thanks
    Happygreen
    I tried something called 'Foodie Market - Paleo Wholefood Bars - Cashew Crush'. Now I should point out that I have no idea what 'paleo' is, but they were not at all what I was expecting. They were obscenely sweet, and if you didn't already know, you wouldn't be able to tell that they contained nuts, let alone that they were cashews! Personally, I won't be buying again.
    Originally posted by Stompa
    Paleo means no grains or added sugar, so no oats or fructose glucose syrup. The sweetness is from the 49 % Dates, which is a bit excessive, I agree but it makes it stick together. The Cashew "crush" in the name is a bit misleading, but the other 51 % of ingredients is raw cashews.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

834Posts Today

7,263Users online

Martin's Twitter