Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    • 67,660Posts
    • 124,659Thanks
    torbrex
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*
    • 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* 17th Jan 16 at 10:59 AM
    The old thread can be found here.

Please use this new thread to report any good finds in the Discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
    You can also report any not so good deals as a warning to others.

The Stollen bites and other xmas food was being given away FREE in my local Lidl this morning, plenty left and they want it shifted by next week.
Page 80
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 15th Jul 17, 10:40 AM
    • 6,395 Posts
    • 19,297 Thanks
    Doc N
    .......I know you shouldn't trust anything you read in the daily mail.........
    Originally posted by dlusman
    That's a motto for a long, successful and happy life!

Even Wikipedia won't accept the Mail as a source of accurate information. A supporter of the Nazis in the 1930s, it continues to push out bile, hatred and lies claimed to be facts.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 15th Jul 17, 10:55 AM
    • 5,142 Posts
    • 6,545 Thanks
    A. Badger
    That's a motto for a long, successful and happy life!

Even Wikipedia won't accept the Mail as a source of accurate information. A supporter of the Nazis in the 1930s, it continues to push out bile, hatred and lies claimed to be facts.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    You must have missed this article in your daily ingestion of the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2011/dec/06/dailymail-oswald-mosley
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 15th Jul 17, 11:59 AM
    • 2,712 Posts
    • 3,972 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    I wouldn't feed my dog any raw meat.
    Originally posted by PLRFD
    Why not? My GSD only ever eats raw food and has done since he was weaned as a puppy. It's far healthier and natural than any of the processed pet food rubbish.
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 15th Jul 17, 1:21 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    PLRFD
    I don't feed him pet food I cook for him but raw is not for us if it works for you that's fine.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 15th Jul 17, 3:22 PM
    • 6,395 Posts
    • 19,297 Thanks
    Doc N
    You must have missed this article in your daily ingestion of the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2011/dec/06/dailymail-oswald-mosley
    Originally posted by A. Badger
    I'm well aware of the article - which represents the viewpoint of Roy Greenslade.

He's entitled to that viewpoint, but it doesn't alter the fact that the Daily Mail did support the Nazis. They don't like attention being drawn to it, of course, but it remains a fact, and whether you feel that it's still relevant today depends on your viewpoint.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 15th Jul 17, 4:04 PM
    • 7,158 Posts
    • 19,513 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Not wanting to disrupt, but what should I be buying in Aldi other than their rather charming shopping bags? (My sons have already picked out Tea & Fruitcake for me, how thoughtful...)
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 15th Jul 17, 4:31 PM
    • 5,142 Posts
    • 6,545 Thanks
    A. Badger
    I'm well aware of the article - which represents the viewpoint of Roy Greenslade.

He's entitled to that viewpoint, but it doesn't alter the fact that the Daily Mail did support the Nazis. They don't like attention being drawn to it, of course, but it remains a fact, and whether you feel that it's still relevant today depends on your viewpoint.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    I think he sums up my viewpoint rather nicely in his opening paragraph:

"One of the things that always makes me furious is the knee-jerk stupidity of saying that the Daily Mail used to support fascism, thereby implying that it is somehow tainted goods in its modern form."

And there we were, talking about Aldi and Lidl.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 15th Jul 17, 4:36 PM
    • 5,142 Posts
    • 6,545 Thanks
    A. Badger
    Not wanting to disrupt, but what should I be buying in Aldi other than their rather charming shopping bags? (My sons have already picked out Tea & Fruitcake for me, how thoughtful...)
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    Just about anything, actually. It entails a learning process, as does shopping anywhere new. By and large their own brands compare very favourably with main brands and their meat is of a far superior quality to that from the likes of Sainsbury's and Tesco. The only things I avoid, personally, are their vegetables and some of the fruit, although their citrus fruit and bananas are fine.
    Last edited by A. Badger; 15-07-2017 at 4:38 PM.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 15th Jul 17, 4:43 PM
    • 7,158 Posts
    • 19,513 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Ah, cheers. I do note that there's a pull on haggis as it may contain botulism. What makes this a Must Buy (albeit next month) for me is that in fact for Lidl's "brand" Donald & Sons is actually made by Macsweens a seriously high end producer! (Inference from this report here.)
    Any more "hidden brands" at Lidl I should be keeping an eye open for?
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 15th Jul 17, 6:55 PM
    • 9,441 Posts
    • 9,007 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    A lot of the A & L bread products are made by Warburtons (and are generally very good). In particular, the "posh" loaves in Lidl and the sandwich thins in Aldi are very nice. Also the wraps.

Someone in the thread mentioned some of the muesli products being made by Dorset Cereals (but I can't remember whether that was Aldi or Lidl).
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 15th Jul 17, 8:08 PM
    • 6,395 Posts
    • 19,297 Thanks
    Doc N
    Ah, cheers. I do note that there's a pull on haggis as it may contain botulism. What makes this a Must Buy (albeit next month) for me is that in fact for Lidl's "brand" Donald & Sons is actually made by Macsweens a seriously high end producer! (Inference from this report here.)
    Lidl and M&S were both supplied by Macsween, as I'm sure you noticed. M&S and Aldi also share a top ranking Stilton producer, and Dorset Cereals do indeed supply Lidl.

In reality, Aldi and Lidl both use the same suppliers, by and large, as all the other supermarkets. The ingredients may vary slightly from brand to brand, but the quality is certainly as good as, if not better than, Tesco/Morrisons/Asda/Sainsbury.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 15th Jul 17, 8:40 PM
    • 2,712 Posts
    • 3,972 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Anything you like. It always amuses me when people ask what they should buy as we have absolutely no idea of what your family usually eat.

It's just a supermarket so buy what you usually buy elsewhere. You'll probably find the quality is better and come home with more change in your pocket.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 15th Jul 17, 8:42 PM
    • 2,712 Posts
    • 3,972 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    A lot of the A & L bread products are made by Warburtons (and are generally very good). In particular, the "posh" loaves in Lidl and the sandwich thins in Aldi are very nice. Also the wraps.

Someone in the thread mentioned some of the muesli products being made by Dorset Cereals (but I can't remember whether that was Aldi or Lidl).
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    That's the Aldi muesli.
    • SparksAlive
    • By SparksAlive 15th Jul 17, 8:50 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    SparksAlive
    Not sure if this has been said before (not reading 80 pages to find out!) but I tried the Aldi versions of cheese strings and peperami sticks recently. The meat sticks were actually quite nice - they don't taste like peperami exactly, but they do have a nice flavour and texture, more like chorizo.

The cheese strings however were awful. They don't taste like anything! Almost completely flavourless, apart from a very faint plasticky cheese taste if you chew them vigorously. Pretty disappointing.

So yeah - buy the meat sticks. Don't buy the cheese strings.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 15th Jul 17, 9:01 PM
    • 23,954 Posts
    • 50,300 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    That's the Aldi muesli.
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    The Lidl blue muesli is better though. Addictive in fact
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • andygb
    • By andygb 15th Jul 17, 9:39 PM
    • 11,878 Posts
    • 25,626 Thanks
    andygb
    Would they have a choice in the wild?
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse

Jeez!
    Every Dingo I ever saw out in the bush, always had a George Foreman grill strapped to its back - everyone knows that the Aussie critters love a bit of grilled meat
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 16th Jul 17, 11:43 AM
    • 6,395 Posts
    • 19,297 Thanks
    Doc N
    That's the Aldi muesli.
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    Lidl, I think:

https://thedorsetknob.co.uk/5210/makes-lidl-simply-sumptuous-special-muesli/
    • maman
    • By maman 16th Jul 17, 12:59 PM
    • 17,002 Posts
    • 101,662 Thanks
    maman
    The Lidl blue muesli is better though. Addictive in fact
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse

My DH's favourite. He loves the stuff, even took some on holiday with us.

We're down to the last bag so need to re-stock.

I need dishwasher salt too (love the easy dispenser box) so I'll get that at the same time.

We have a city centre branch (where I picked up aubergines last week) but won't carry heavy stuff from there so need to take the car to next nearest.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 16th Jul 17, 3:57 PM
    • 2,712 Posts
    • 3,972 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    My mistake. The news report referred to in the article is the I saw a few years ago but for some reason I thought it was Aldi packaging they showed.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 16th Jul 17, 7:35 PM
    • 2,280 Posts
    • 9,246 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Bought the Floralys Aloe Vera supersoft toilet tissue in the Super Weekend a few weeks ago, I wont be buying that again, it is rubbish.

It says 3ply on the packet but it is so thin that I need to use twice as much as the Nikki tissue and also, it wont tear at the perforations very easily
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Walk 2000 3000 miles in 2017 - 2986.4
    This week 70.1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,278Posts Today

6,938Users online

Martin's Twitter