Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    • 67,660Posts
    • 124,664Thanks
    torbrex
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*
    • 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* 17th Jan 16 at 10:59 AM
    The old thread can be found here.

Please use this new thread to report any good finds in the Discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
    You can also report any not so good deals as a warning to others.

The Stollen bites and other xmas food was being given away FREE in my local Lidl this morning, plenty left and they want it shifted by next week.
Page 79
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 13th Jul 17, 10:48 PM
    • 8,823 Posts
    • 8,197 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Lidl Oakland Strawberries, variety Sonata, shown as produced in Fife Scotland. Bought a couple of days ago.
    Sorry, don't have the price handy but it was a 400g punnet. Beautiful sweet strawberries, highly recommended!
    Originally posted by Eenymeeny
    I think they are sourcing some fresh products locally, as I quite often see Kent soft fruit & apples.

I bought some Kentish Raspberries today (from Lidl) and they are delicious.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 13th Jul 17, 10:56 PM
    • 2,134 Posts
    • 4,096 Thanks
    dlusman
    The next fad methinks.
    Originally posted by PLRFD
    Has been a fad for a while - stocked by several supermarkets. I know you shouldn't trust anything you read in the daily mail - but this article is from August 2016
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-3741638/Which-healthiest-spread-toast.html
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 13th Jul 17, 11:14 PM
    • 8,823 Posts
    • 8,197 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Thanks - looks like I should sticking to my existing Olive Oil spread, with perhaps some Butter from time to time.
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • quoia
    • By quoia 14th Jul 17, 12:47 AM
    • 13,297 Posts
    • 141,023 Thanks
    quoia
    AIUI the type of fat is as important as the quantity.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    But that's mostly my point

Coconut oil: are the health benefits a big fat lie?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/jul/09/coconut-oil-debunked-health-benefits-big-fat-lie-superfood-saturated-fats-lard

It's the latest 'superfood', endorsed by wellness bloggers and celebrities, yet it contains MORE saturated fat than lard.

In fact, it’s so oozing with artery-clogging saturated fat that lard is a healthier option.

There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S ω6.59 so far ..
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 14th Jul 17, 6:26 AM
    • 3,092 Posts
    • 6,373 Thanks
    Murphybear
    I'm the servant of a very imperious old lady (I imagine she was a duchess in a previous incarnation) who is recovering from a major accident and needs special care and treats, hence the chicken.

Thinking about it though, one small chicken goes a very long way and at Aldi's prices I'm not sure it works out a great deal more expensive to feed her chicken than the better class of tinned KittyGlop. I'm sure it's a lot better for her, too. As for the ginger wretch, well... how could I not feed it to him, too?

Growing up, my mother came to the same conclusion and always bought cheap cuts of meat and fish which she cooked for the cats and dogs. They seemed to do well on it, too.

I am seriously tempted to switch from cans. I don't eat (much) processed food, so why should the animals I care for?
    Originally posted by A. Badger
    I hope your "late" duchess makes a full recovery. I used to have an aunt whose great big beast of a moggy would only eat lights (for those who have never heard of them, they are the lungs of the animals), not very nutritious but he seemed to thrive.

When I was growing up my mother used to line up 6 plates for Sunday lunch, 5 for the family and one for the cat. The cat got a few tasty bits of meat mixed in with veggies. Of course, cats being cats, he picked out the meat and left the veg
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 14th Jul 17, 7:32 AM
    • 562 Posts
    • 547 Thanks
    PLRFD
    Gi see no problem feeding a moggy chicken and as said it's cheaper to cook for your animal as I do for my dog than the crap in tins,I saw an advert for cat soup on TV yesterday,think of Peter Kay saying cat ? Soup ?.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Jul 17, 7:54 AM
    • 22,875 Posts
    • 47,525 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    AIUI the type of fat is as important as the quantity.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Saturated fat is never going to do the arteries any favours. A bit is fine; excessive consumption in the mistaken belief that coconut oil has an additive health benefit is only going to end in vascular disorders.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 14th Jul 17, 9:49 AM
    • 5,096 Posts
    • 6,506 Thanks
    A. Badger
    Gi see no problem feeding a moggy chicken and as said it's cheaper to cook for your animal as I do for my dog than the crap in tins,I saw an advert for cat soup on TV yesterday,think of Peter Kay saying cat ? Soup ?.
    The only problem is the (very mild) inconvenience, as opposed to opening a can.

To remain on topic, it's a testament to Aldi's prices, in any event!
    Last edited by A. Badger; 14-07-2017 at 10:08 AM.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 14th Jul 17, 10:08 AM
    • 5,096 Posts
    • 6,506 Thanks
    A. Badger
    Saturated fat is never going to do the arteries any favours. A bit is fine; excessive consumption in the mistaken belief that coconut oil has an additive health benefit is only going to end in vascular disorders.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Until the 'experts' change their minds again, as they already seem to be doing, having demonised fats in favour of carbohydrates while diabetes rates and obesity soared.

The recent revelations by Dr James Dinicolantonio (associate editor of the British Medical Journal’s 'Open Heart') saying the 'experts' have been entirely wrong about salt makes me wonder if they really know very much at all.

Butter has been in use since mankind domesticated the cow, about 10,500 years ago. Blended, processed, deodorised 'spreads'? No thank you.
    • Nelson41b
    • By Nelson41b 14th Jul 17, 12:57 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Nelson41b
    I've been trying to save a few quid but whilst maintaining "quality" standards. My newest and biggest disappointment is Aldi specially selected yogurt. Its new and looked perfect for summer lunches with my kids. But what a total waste of money. The glass pot makes it look like the upmarket stuff, but it is thin, tasteless and goes off super quick. I told Aldi, but hey, what do they care.
    AVOID.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Jul 17, 1:07 PM
    • 22,875 Posts
    • 47,525 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    My newest and biggest disappointment is Aldi specially selected yogurt. Its new and looked perfect for summer lunches with my kids. But what a total waste of money. The glass pot makes it look like the upmarket stuff, but it is thin, tasteless and goes off super quick.
    Originally posted by Nelson41b
    Yet this got rave reviews by another poster! I googled it and it looked like a product distributed in Ireland.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 14th Jul 17, 1:13 PM
    • 8,823 Posts
    • 8,197 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I've found Specially Selected items (and in fact their equivalents in other supermarkets) a bit hit & miss.

The Eton Mess and Peanut Butter Ice Cream cones in Aldi at the moment are a good example - 60% more expensive than the standard cones. Not only are they pretty much the same quality as the standard ones, but both have "issues" - the Eton Mess is not fruity enough and the Peanut Butter one is curiously lacking sweetness (it's almost like savoury ice cream).

If you're looking for good/interesting/creamy yogurts in Aldi, I would recommend the layered Greek-style 4-pack. All the flavours are nice, and the yogurt is thick & creamy. They are also fat-free. 4 x 125g for 99p.

Last edited by Cornucopia; 14-07-2017 at 1:30 PM.

• Nelson41b
    • By Nelson41b 14th Jul 17, 2:14 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Nelson41b
    Aldi Specially Selected Yogurt MADE IN ENGLAND
    Thanks for the response. The new yogurt is now made in UK. In fact they make a big thing that its Devon milk and it does say made in Devon (so clearly a different line to the Irish one that got good reviews)
    The 3 we had were just horrid. Sour and totally thin. Hit and miss may describe the range but this is a definite MISS
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 14th Jul 17, 2:43 PM
    • 562 Posts
    • 547 Thanks
    PLRFD
    Just watching the second practice for Silverstone noticed a big Lidl sign on the nose cone of the Torro Rosso's if you have any idea how much a square centimetre of advertising space is on an F1 car you can guess how much this has cost them,clearly a sign for people that Lidl is moving up in the world.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 14th Jul 17, 5:50 PM
    • 3,092 Posts
    • 6,373 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Cat soup was very useful when our cat had a couple of teeth removed
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 14th Jul 17, 6:02 PM
    • 3,092 Posts
    • 6,373 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Thanks for the response. The new yogurt is now made in UK. In fact they make a big thing that its Devon milk and it does say made in Devon (so clearly a different line to the Irish one that got good reviews)
    The 3 we had were just horrid. Sour and totally thin. Hit and miss may describe the range but this is a definite MISS
    Originally posted by Nelson41b
    Made by the Ambrosia part of Premier Foods. It's in Lifton which is so far west it's almost in Cornwall
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 15th Jul 17, 4:00 AM
    • 2,599 Posts
    • 3,675 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Heard something on Radio 5 about this in the last 2 or 3 days

Apparently gram for gram it's healthier to eat LARD than coconut oil due to it fat content
    Originally posted by quoia
    But what people fail to understand is that coconut oil is a medium chain triglyceride and is metabolised differently to the other saturated fats such as lard and butter which are both long chain triglycerides. MCTs are rapidly metabolised and used as fuel for energy, directly processed by the liver, therefore are not stored as body fat.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 15th Jul 17, 4:04 AM
    • 2,599 Posts
    • 3,675 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    It's much better to feed raw as cooking destroys some vital nutrients.
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 15th Jul 17, 4:58 AM
    • 562 Posts
    • 547 Thanks
    PLRFD
    I wouldn't feed my dog any raw meat.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 15th Jul 17, 6:58 AM
    • 22,875 Posts
    • 47,525 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I wouldn't feed my dog any raw meat.
    Would they have a choice in the wild?

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,444Posts Today

8,523Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin