Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    • 67,660Posts
    • 124,664Thanks
    torbrex
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*
    • 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* 17th Jan 16 at 10:59 AM
    The old thread can be found here.

Please use this new thread to report any good finds in the Discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
    You can also report any not so good deals as a warning to others.

The Stollen bites and other xmas food was being given away FREE in my local Lidl this morning, plenty left and they want it shifted by next week.
Page 78
    • VeGGie-STyLe
    • By VeGGie-STyLe 10th Jul 17, 2:23 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    VeGGie-STyLe
    Very pleased with a couple of avocados that I bought from Aldi at the weekend (in their Super Six offer... 79p each I think?). They were HUGE! Perfectly ripe, peeled like a dream, and tasted lovely They were almost the size of an aubergine I had in my fridge, so pretty good value for money!

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Jul 17, 4:23 PM
    • 22,855 Posts
    • 47,471 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    ^^ I love the pic with the aubergine to drive the point home

Glad of the recommendation though, I'll give them a try. How I hate a woody avocado.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 10th Jul 17, 4:52 PM
    • 8,797 Posts
    • 8,188 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Nice pics.

I got some of the Lidl live Lettuce at the weekend, 69p on special offer. Delicious and so fresh (well it would be). Good value, too, you get a lot in each pack.

Also the Lidl Skyr Vanilla flavour (375g for 99p) that was mentioned previously is very nice - perfect with fresh fruit.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • VeGGie-STyLe
    • By VeGGie-STyLe 10th Jul 17, 8:45 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    VeGGie-STyLe
    ^^ I love the pic with the aubergine to drive the point home

Glad of the recommendation though, I'll give them a try. How I hate a woody avocado.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Couldn't do without the token aubergine!

Not a hint of wood, just creamy fresh deliciousness Quality seems to vary a lot between stores though... I had low expectations because the skins were a bit blemished and dented, but am happy to be proved wrong! So I guess you shouldn't always judge an avocado by it's skin

Nice pics.

I got some of the Lidl live Lettuce at the weekend, 69p on special offer. Delicious and so fresh (well it would be). Good value, too, you get a lot in each pack.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    That is a glorious looking lettuce! I don't have a local Lidl, but I wish my local Aldi sold the equivalent. Or at least had SOME lettuce in stock when I visit... or some that isn't leaking brown goo...
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 10th Jul 17, 9:28 PM
    • 8,797 Posts
    • 8,188 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    That is a glorious looking lettuce! I don't have a local Lidl, but I wish my local Aldi sold the equivalent. Or at least had SOME lettuce in stock when I visit... or some that isn't leaking brown goo...
    Originally posted by VeGGie-STyLe
    I'd never heard of live Lettuces before I first saw them in Lidl. But presumably other supermarkets must sell them?
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 11th Jul 17, 8:36 PM
    • 561 Posts
    • 543 Thanks
    PLRFD
    Was in Lidl today they had a litre of proper froggy Pastis for £16:99 it's very nice.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 11th Jul 17, 10:10 PM
    • 5,096 Posts
    • 6,506 Thanks
    A. Badger
    It's not actually food (well, not yet!) but Aldi shoppers who grow their own should make a bee line for Aldi's liquid tomato and vegetable feeds. The former is an alternative to the very overpriced Tomorite, the latter is a liquid 'growmore', suitable for general use.

These are priced at £1.89 a litre and are very considerably cheaper than the equivalents you will find in garden centres. Under UK (and ROI) law, the percentages of usable feed in a fertiliser have to be declared on the packet, which makes it child's play to compare one with another - there is no room for fiddling or wriggling and no magic formulae, whatever certain heavily advertised brands might wish you to believe!

I am fairly certain these two are made by Doff (the long established garden products company) and they are a steal at the price.
    Last edited by A. Badger; 11-07-2017 at 11:56 PM.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 12th Jul 17, 3:04 AM
    • 3,085 Posts
    • 6,354 Thanks
    Murphybear
    I bought a bunch of Asiatic lilies in Lidl a week ago. They are now nearly all out and they are stunning. The living room is filled with their perfume as well. Can't remember how much they were but it wasn't much
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 12th Jul 17, 3:29 AM
    • 3,085 Posts
    • 6,354 Thanks
    Murphybear
    I haven't read the Lidl/Aldi threads much as our market town doesn't have either.. It's an occasional visit when we are out and about.

We are moving in a few weeks to even further into the wilds of Devon and the nearest market town has 2 supermarkets (apologies to Co-op which I don't like) - Waitrose and Lidl . Looks like I'll be a regular here.

Has anyone tried Lidl's fresh chicken breasts? Chicken is one thing I don't mind paying a bit more for as I've had some really bad experiences with very cheap stuff.
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 12th Jul 17, 7:41 AM
    • 6,580 Posts
    • 29,649 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    Buy chicken from Lidl and it's always been fine, apart from one lot last week. Had it in the fridge and opened it on the use by date and it had definitely gone off

It went in the bin
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
    • maman
    • By maman 12th Jul 17, 11:58 AM
    • 16,210 Posts
    • 96,770 Thanks
    maman
    I've had not problems with fresh chicken in Lidl or Aldi.

Those that I haven't liked (from other places mainly) have been the frozen chicken breasts injected with salty water.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 12th Jul 17, 12:18 PM
    • 5,096 Posts
    • 6,506 Thanks
    A. Badger
    Absolutely no problems with Aldi chickens here and I sometimes buy two a week (one for feline consumption).
    Last edited by A. Badger; 12-07-2017 at 5:56 PM.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 13th Jul 17, 7:42 AM
    • 3,085 Posts
    • 6,354 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Absolutely no problems with Aldi chickens here and I sometimes buy two a week (one for feline consumption).
    Originally posted by A. Badger
    Lucky cat(s) . Mine gets cat food plus bits of meat when I'm cooking.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 13th Jul 17, 9:55 AM
    • 5,096 Posts
    • 6,506 Thanks
    A. Badger
    Lucky cat(s) . Mine gets cat food plus bits of meat when I'm cooking.
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    I'm the servant of a very imperious old lady (I imagine she was a duchess in a previous incarnation) who is recovering from a major accident and needs special care and treats, hence the chicken.

Thinking about it though, one small chicken goes a very long way and at Aldi's prices I'm not sure it works out a great deal more expensive to feed her chicken than the better class of tinned KittyGlop. I'm sure it's a lot better for her, too. As for the ginger wretch, well... how could I not feed it to him, too?

Growing up, my mother came to the same conclusion and always bought cheap cuts of meat and fish which she cooked for the cats and dogs. They seemed to do well on it, too.

I am seriously tempted to switch from cans. I don't eat (much) processed food, so why should the animals I care for?
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 13th Jul 17, 10:18 AM
    • 8,797 Posts
    • 8,188 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I noticed this in Aldi the other day:

Coconut & Rapeseed Oil Spread.

It apparently has a companion product: Avocado Oil Spread, but they didn't have any in stock.

Anyone tried them?

• Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 13th Jul 17, 6:58 PM
    • 2,591 Posts
    • 3,667 Thanks
    Feral Moon

It apparently has a companion product: Avocado Oil Spread, but they didn't have any in stock.

Anyone tried them?
    No, but I'm intrigued!
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 13th Jul 17, 9:29 PM
    • 561 Posts
    • 543 Thanks
    PLRFD
    The next fad methinks.
    • quoia
    • By quoia 13th Jul 17, 10:13 PM
    • 13,292 Posts
    • 141,019 Thanks
    quoia

Anyone tried them?
    The next fad methinks.
    Originally posted by PLRFD
    Heard something on Radio 5 about this in the last 2 or 3 days

Apparently gram for gram it's healthier to eat LARD than coconut oil due to it fat content
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S ω6.59 so far ..
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 13th Jul 17, 10:27 PM
    • 8,797 Posts
    • 8,188 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    AIUI the type of fat is as important as the quantity.

• Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 13th Jul 17, 10:41 PM
    • 1,745 Posts
    • 6,285 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    Lidl Oakland Strawberries, variety Sonata, shown as produced in Fife Scotland. Bought a couple of days ago.
    Sorry, don't have the price handy but it was a 400g punnet. Beautiful sweet strawberries, highly recommended!
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

198Posts Today

1,193Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin