Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    • 67,660Posts
    • 124,659Thanks
    torbrex
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*
    • 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* 17th Jan 16 at 10:59 AM
    The old thread can be found here.

Please use this new thread to report any good finds in the Discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
    You can also report any not so good deals as a warning to others.

The Stollen bites and other xmas food was being given away FREE in my local Lidl this morning, plenty left and they want it shifted by next week.
Page 71
    • robin58
    • By robin58 17th May 17, 8:03 PM
    • 1,794 Posts
    • 1,831 Thanks
    robin58
    Should I be worried that you appear to have been studying other peoples toilet habits ?
    Originally posted by dlusman
    To be honest if you are paying the bills, you always study people's habits.

That's how you make economies.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 18th May 17, 8:56 AM
    • 2,162 Posts
    • 4,150 Thanks
    dlusman
    To be honest if you are paying the bills, you always study people's habits.

That's how you make economies.
    Originally posted by robin58
    But you cannot make a general statement about the population based on a sample of one household
    • robin58
    • By robin58 18th May 17, 1:47 PM
    • 1,794 Posts
    • 1,831 Thanks
    robin58
    But you cannot make a general statement about the population based on a sample of one household
    Utter rubbish.

Everybody does it even governments and your local multi national food chains.

You would be surprised how removing an item or downsizing a item can save over a period.

Add up all those Starbucks or Costa Coffee you have over a month but don't really need and see what you could save.

( hello A. BADGER. You would disagree with me on anything even if it cost you millions).
    How little I know.!!
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 18th May 17, 2:27 PM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 3,892 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Who mentioned anything about one household?
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 18th May 17, 2:40 PM
    • 5,122 Posts
    • 6,527 Thanks
    A. Badger
    Utter rubbish.

You would be surprised how removing an item or downsizing a item can save over a period.

Add up all those Starbucks or Costa Coffee you have over a month but don't really need and see what you could save.

( hello A. BADGER. You would disagree with me on anything even if it cost you millions).
    On the contrary. I wouldn't waste 1p on your opinions.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 18th May 17, 4:33 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 44,856 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Returning to topic, and leaving aside insults, Aldi have a new recipe for their lower fat sunflower spread. I will be switching to this one, really liked it. It didn't disappear when spread as the butter - type low fat spreads do.

The jars of Grandessa honey had disappeared at my Aldi and been replaced by smaller jars of Everyday Essentials honey at 99p. It tastes just the same.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 18th May 17, 4:58 PM
    • 2,162 Posts
    • 4,150 Thanks
    dlusman
    Who mentioned anything about one household?
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    So you study the toilet habits of more than just your family ?
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 18th May 17, 5:03 PM
    • 2,162 Posts
    • 4,150 Thanks
    dlusman
    Utter rubbish.

This has got nothing to do with downsizing or money saving. I was asking how someone can make a claim about the general populations toilet habits - based on just their own experience
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 18th May 17, 6:33 PM
    • 9,181 Posts
    • 8,629 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Can we keep the discussion light & friendly, please.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 18th May 17, 11:24 PM
    • 1,702 Posts
    • 2,088 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    Arguments about toilet habits are what made Britain Great ;-)

Anyhow, can recommend the Lidl hammock design car seat cover that was on special recently. Marketed for dogs but I put the parrot's travel cage on it so I don't get seed and feathers everywhere. Excellent quality and at £4.99 a complete bargain. I bought it to replace one purchased off ebay that has now got too tatty. Same quality but closer to £15.

They had other car seat cover designs so if you are looking for one check out Lidl there may be some left.
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 19th May 17, 11:25 AM
    • 588 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    PLRFD
    Can we keep the discussion light & friendly, please.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Ooooo you've lost weight and you look lovely today
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 19th May 17, 12:11 PM
    • 6,265 Posts
    • 3,973 Thanks
    Ken68
    Just got back from Lidl.....maybe a local offer but Mince is 99p per 500g.
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 19th May 17, 2:19 PM
    • 2,162 Posts
    • 4,150 Thanks
    dlusman
    Utter rubbish.

If you truely believe you can make a general statement about a population based on a sample size of 1 then please provide an example
    • Shrimply
    • By Shrimply 19th May 17, 2:27 PM
    • 813 Posts
    • 447 Thanks
    Shrimply
    If you truely believe you can make a general statement about a population based on a sample size of 1 then please provide an example
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonesome_George
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 19th May 17, 2:32 PM
    • 23,246 Posts
    • 48,574 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The exception that proves the rule
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 19th May 17, 3:16 PM
    • 2,162 Posts
    • 4,150 Thanks
    dlusman
    okay - i'll give you that - but in this case we are not talking about a total population of 1. We are talking about making a statement about a large population based on sampling 1 of them
    Last edited by dlusman; 19-05-2017 at 3:19 PM.
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 19th May 17, 5:35 PM
    • 6,604 Posts
    • 29,663 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    okay - i'll give you that - but in this case we are not talking about a total population of 1. We are talking about making a statement about a large population based on sampling 1 of them
    In the words of Elsa , "Let it go".
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
    • robin58
    • By robin58 20th May 17, 12:28 AM
    • 1,794 Posts
    • 1,831 Thanks
    robin58
    TE=charlies_mum;72574275]In the words of Elsa , "Let it go". [/QUOTE]

Agree totally. First remark about studying people habits was a joke.

He mssed the big grin emoji

The rest of the conversations were how real life companies follow our habits as a population to make money.

Conversation now over.

But I will leave dlusman digging his hole.
    How little I know.!!
    • adandem
    • By adandem 20th May 17, 7:02 PM
    • 3,419 Posts
    • 4,644 Thanks
    adandem
    Has anyone used Aldi or Lidl 'refine' shampoo or conditioner? I use elvive in the white and red bottle and wondered if they'd be a good alternative? Thanks
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 20th May 17, 10:40 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 44,856 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Has anyone used Aldi or Lidl 'refine' shampoo or conditioner? I use elvive in the white and red bottle and wondered if they'd be a good alternative? Thanks
    Originally posted by adandem
    As you've spotted, these are Elvive dupes, in Aldi at least. I used the colour protect version and really liked it. There are 12 glowing reviews online and one negative one, which tells you something.
    At the moment I'm using the excellent Aldi Carino cheapo coconut shampoo and conditioner which is an Alberto dupe, along with some genuine Elvive for when my hair is having an oily time.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,608Posts Today

7,609Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @KCMurdarasi: @MartinSLewis Only 2 fluently, but I can struggle by in another 5 or so. And ask the way to the toilet in about 10 - you d?

• Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• Follow Martin