Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    • 67,660Posts
    • 124,665Thanks
    torbrex
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*
    • 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* 17th Jan 16 at 10:59 AM
    The old thread can be found here.

Please use this new thread to report any good finds in the Discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
    You can also report any not so good deals as a warning to others.

The Stollen bites and other xmas food was being given away FREE in my local Lidl this morning, plenty left and they want it shifted by next week.
Page 70
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 9th May 17, 7:38 PM
    • 6,132 Posts
    • 19,050 Thanks
    Doc N
    As I've posted previously, I find the Aldi strong flours for bread making are excellent.
    Originally posted by mcculloch29
    Both bread flours disappeared from our local Aldi this week (the extra strong one mentioned above never did materialise).

A summer withdrawal again?
    • quoia
    • By quoia 9th May 17, 9:30 PM
    • 13,256 Posts
    • 140,963 Thanks
    quoia
    Boozy ice lollies set to hit Aldi shelves
    Boozy ice lollies set to hit Aldi shelves

Summer’s about to get a bit boozier as discount supermarket Aldi has announced new premium adult-only ice popsicles.

Gianni’s Alcoholic Ice Popsicles, which cost £2.99 for a four pack, come in two summery flavours

- Peach Bellini and Gin and Tonic -

and are set to be a must-have for every summer BBQ.

Made with Prosecco from the Padova and Venice regions of Italy, Gianni’s Peach Bellini combines peach and prosecco to give you the perfect treat, rain or shine, and the Gin & Tonic Ice will prove it’s not just mother’s ruin after all.

The popsicles have an ABV measure of 4.5 per cent.

Tony Baines, joint managing director of corporate buying at Aldi UK said: “We are proud to bring popular products and trends to our customers whilst staying committed to our low price promise. “Although sunshine may not be guaranteed, our alcoholic popsicles are sure to be a hit with adults across the UK, whatever the weather!”

Gianni’s Alcoholic Ice Popsicles are on sale now.
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S ω6.59 so far ..
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 9th May 17, 11:30 PM
    • 1,656 Posts
    • 2,063 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    Oh yes......
    • robin58
    • By robin58 14th May 17, 2:48 AM
    • 1,556 Posts
    • 1,450 Thanks
    robin58
    Can anybody tell me if Aldi have withdrawn thier Galic wraps. The lable says there are available.

Can only find on the shelf ; plain, 50/50, seeded and wholemeal.

New boxes were on the floor before going on the shelf and they only contained 50/50 and plain.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th May 17, 8:23 AM
    • 22,595 Posts
    • 46,744 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The verdict is back on Lidl's Firenze cake that is on offer this weekend after I opened one to sample with a cup of tea last night. My high hopes we dashed, and tbh I think I'm going to donate the rest of it and other two bars to a food bank. It was dry and far too sweet. If there's a positive, it has a lovely light texture.

My resident crispmonster houseguest declared "cake? This sullies the good name of cake!".
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 14th May 17, 8:40 AM
    • 8,674 Posts
    • 8,057 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    New varieties of Aldi products (not yet sampled)...

- Cholesterol reducing yogurt drink, already expanded to 8-packs (from 6). Now available in Blueberry flavour.

- Greek style yogurts with fruit layer, now available in summer fruits flavour.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 14th May 17, 8:43 AM
    • 8,674 Posts
    • 8,057 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Can anybody tell me if Aldi have withdrawn thier Galic wraps.
    Originally posted by robin58
    There may be a shake-up underway with wraps - Lidl had no 50/50 wraps last time I was there, and they had been removed from the shelf label.

The Lidl Mediterranean Herb wraps are very nice (possibly a substitute for Garlic?)
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 14th May 17, 9:59 AM
    • 543 Posts
    • 533 Thanks
    PLRFD
    I've noticed chocolate peanuts are like rocking horse whatsit in Lidl,loads of raisins but no peanut.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th May 17, 11:14 AM
    • 22,595 Posts
    • 46,744 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Lidl's instore bakery large croissants (which I love warm) have gone up by 20% to 35p each - but still much better value than other SMs.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • ljonski
    • By ljonski 14th May 17, 3:12 PM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 3,331 Thanks
    ljonski
    The verdict is back on Lidl's Firenze cake that is on offer this weekend after I opened one to sample with a cup of tea last night.
    Its quite nice if mixed in wilth the 79p yogurt pot from Aldi! -but i understand what you mean- not great if eaten on its own!
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 14th May 17, 4:45 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 44,651 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    My Aldi had low fat spinach and plain wraps on the Specialbuys food shelving, which might account for the absence of garlic wraps.

In the same way, I wondered if the presence of fancy flours on the Specialbuy shelf was linked to the absence of white strong flours. We had wholemeal but nothing else in mine. Cocoa was back, though.

I don't think the Aldi strong flour is a seasonal any more, as there was a bit of a furore when it disappeared last time, only to quickly re-appear.

Back on the shelves in my Aldi were tins of chickpeas, this time the East End brand, along with East End butter beans. Some other East End white beans as well, I think.
    No economy baked beans, but the Corale premium beans were down to 29p a can.

The 6 pack 330 ml cans of lager shandy come and go, and are back at the moment at Aldi, though they seem to sell out quite quickly. I was lucky to get a pack at my store.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • 2childmum
    • By 2childmum 15th May 17, 11:39 AM
    • 165 Posts
    • 2,022 Thanks
    2childmum
    No bread flour at my Aldi - but found some at Lidl. Ditto chickpeas and vanilla essence.
    May spend - £291.40/£320.00
    June spend - £106.40/£320.00
    • artyclarty
    • By artyclarty 15th May 17, 11:56 AM
    • 113 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    artyclarty
    Was at my local Lidl today and it has just had its refit. Its a small store so getting round is a little difficult (no gap in the middle of the store any more). I noticed that a few lines have reappeared that have been missing for months.
    - Chickpeas, Kidney Beans and Butter Beans (as mentioned above!)
    - Naan Breads and Wraps
    - Ice cream Cones, Summer bread lines (burger/hotdog buns)
    - Chopped tinned tomatoes
    - 17p lemonade
    - Cocoa Powder

And a few new lines that I am happy to see back
    - Cloudy Lemonade/Ginger Beer
    - Pomegranate/Apple and Elderflower juice (I suspect that this is the same product that aldi used to stock, tastes the same!)

Lines I am still disappointed in
    - Loo roll - a staff member told me that they have changed supplier and now all of the stuff in that area of the shop is made by the same people who stock aldi. I miss the Cushelle!
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 16th May 17, 5:55 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 44,651 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    - Loo roll - a staff member told me that they have changed supplier and now all of the stuff in that area of the shop is made by the same people who stock aldi. I miss the Cushelle!
    Originally posted by artyclarty
    Cushelle is currently £1.35 for 4 rolls at Wilko's. I tend to get my loo rolls on anything decent that Wilko's have on special offer as it's usually a bit cheaper than Aldi's.
    Aldi loo roll is decent enough quality if Wilko's have sold out or haven't anything good on offer.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 16th May 17, 7:08 PM
    • 1,556 Posts
    • 1,450 Thanks
    robin58
    There may be a shake-up underway with wraps - Lidl had no 50/50 wraps last time I was there, and they had been removed from the shelf label.

The Lidl Mediterranean Herb wraps are very nice (possibly a substitute for Garlic?)
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    First I was talking about Aldi not Lidl's wraps. Having said that I have tried the herb ones from Lidl. Ok for things that complement the herbs in the wrap.

But I wanted the garlic ones as I like garlic. They are on the shelf label but not the shelf. That's why I was asking if they have been 'deleted' from Aldi's stock line or is it just a local stock control thing in my area.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 16th May 17, 9:53 PM
    • 2,574 Posts
    • 3,636 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Cushelle is a false economy. Because it's a much thicker paper there's less sheets on the roll. Plus, out of habit, people tend to just pull off a load of paper each toilet use before realising it's thicker.
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 17th May 17, 7:16 AM
    • 543 Posts
    • 533 Thanks
    PLRFD
    How do you know that ?
    • robrymond
    • By robrymond 17th May 17, 7:27 AM
    • 532 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    robrymond
    Another price rise in Aldi on the Buttery Spread to £1.69. It cost £1.29 at the start of the year and isn't far off the price you can get branded spreads from other supermarkets.

Cheese has dropped back down in price though to £1.59 from the £1.75 it was for a few weeks. Not as cheap as £1.49 earlier in the year though for 350g.
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 17th May 17, 3:27 PM
    • 2,083 Posts
    • 4,039 Thanks
    dlusman
    Cushelle is a false economy. Because it's a much thicker paper there's less sheets on the roll. Plus, out of habit, people tend to just pull off a load of paper each toilet use before realising it's thicker.
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    Should I be worried that you appear to have been studying other peoples toilet habits ?
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 17th May 17, 5:13 PM
    • 8,674 Posts
    • 8,057 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Should I be worried that you appear to have been studying other peoples toilet habits ?
    Originally posted by dlusman
    Some questions are probably best unasked.

I tried Lidl Thai Red Curry this week, and it was probably the best readymeal I have had in years (not that I am a frequent flier). Chilled (and I was).

The sauce was spicy and creamy, with plenty of lean chicken and various appropriate veg. Quite hot, spice wise.

Unusually, even the rice was good - fluffy sticky rice, possibly moistened with coconut milk (or something similar).

Very impressed, and at £1.59 not that expensive, either. Need to try it again to see how consistent it is.

The only disappointment was that with such a spicy dish, there really is no need for 1.7g of Salt, because no one will be able to taste it.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

163Posts Today

1,106Users online

Martin's Twitter