Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    • 67,660Posts
    • 124,664Thanks
    torbrex
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*
    • 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* 17th Jan 16 at 10:59 AM
    The old thread can be found here.

Please use this new thread to report any good finds in the Discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
    You can also report any not so good deals as a warning to others.

The Stollen bites and other xmas food was being given away FREE in my local Lidl this morning, plenty left and they want it shifted by next week.
Page 66
    • Nellie Dean
    • By Nellie Dean 20th Apr 17, 10:44 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Nellie Dean
    Aldi had boxes of Swiss milk chocolate truffles half price at 99 pence yesterday. I would recommend these - they were lovely very similar to the red Lindor truffles
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 21st Apr 17, 5:31 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 44,785 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I gave Aldi's very strong flour a go - it's supposed to hold more air bubbles. I normally get really good results from their strong flour anyway. I got the same results as regards a rise and air bubbles.
    The texture was definitely closer and less crumbly though, and I could cut slices easily for the toaster, so that was a big plus.
    Unfortunately my tummy didn't quite deal with the high gluten well, although it may have been something else, I suspect the bread. I did eat a lot though, so it's my own greedy fault..
    Anyway, if you make your own bread look out for the aqua coloured bags of flour alongside the normal light green striped bags. It's 75p - great value.
    Follow the Aldi recipe on both bags too - it's a good one and the olive oil makes a big difference.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 21st Apr 17, 5:41 PM
    • 564 Posts
    • 547 Thanks
    PLRFD
    IUnfortunately my tummy didn't quite deal with the high gluten well,
    Originally posted by mcculloch29
    Bog roll is a good price in Lidl at the moment
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 22nd Apr 17, 6:50 AM
    • 6,196 Posts
    • 19,130 Thanks
    Doc N
    I gave Aldi's very strong flour a go - it's supposed to hold more air bubbles. I normally get really good results from their strong flour anyway. I got the same results as regards a rise and air bubbles.
    The texture was definitely closer and less crumbly though, and I could cut slices easily for the toaster, so that was a big plus.
    Unfortunately my tummy didn't quite deal with the high gluten well, although it may have been something else, I suspect the bread. I did eat a lot though, so it's my own greedy fault..
    Anyway, if you make your own bread look out for the aqua coloured bags of flour alongside the normal light green striped bags. It's 75p - great value.
    Follow the Aldi recipe on both bags too - it's a good one and the olive oil makes a big difference.
    Sounds interesting. My Aldi doesn't have this (yet?) but I'll watch out for it. Their standard strong flour is 11.7% protein - is this much stronger than that in % protein terms?
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 22nd Apr 17, 10:41 AM
    • 5,101 Posts
    • 6,508 Thanks
    A. Badger
    Potentially even better, my local Aldi last week had a range of flours from Matthews Cotswold Flours that included French T55 and a speciality Italian flour. I'm planning to try the T55 this week.
    • maman
    • By maman 22nd Apr 17, 5:27 PM
    • 16,237 Posts
    • 96,938 Thanks
    maman
    Aldi's SS lamb Rogan Josh is fab and only 1 syn on Slimming World
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble

Thanks for that. I'll take a look tomorrow. I might be lucky.
    Originally posted by maman

I bought the last pack in Aldi's yesterday and it was delicious. Hopefully they'll have some next week so I can freeze a few.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 22nd Apr 17, 9:35 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 44,785 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Sounds interesting. My Aldi doesn't have this (yet?) but I'll watch out for it. Their standard strong flour is 11.7% protein - is this much stronger than that in % protein terms?
    Originally posted by Doc N
    Actually, according to the bag, it isn't - the stated protein percentage is 11%. Having said that, the protein percentage on Aldi's ordinary plain flour is 9.4% so we are not looking at vast statistical differences here.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 22nd Apr 17, 9:44 PM
    • 14,840 Posts
    • 59,675 Thanks
    Judi
    Look out for the cleansing lotion in the toiletry aisle. Looks, smells and feels like Simple cleansing lotion to me. They do a toner too.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Crisps87
    • By Crisps87 23rd Apr 17, 8:09 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Crisps87
    My Aldi had 1.8kg packs of fresh chicken breasts for £9.99 - there's 9 big breasts in there so just over £1 a breast - a decent deal so I grabbed the last pack!

Does anyone find if they go shopping on different days the availability at Aldi nosedives? When I went today (Sunday) the fruit and veg department was very spartan.
    • maman
    • By maman 23rd Apr 17, 8:29 PM
    • 16,237 Posts
    • 96,938 Thanks
    maman
    Does anyone find if they go shopping on different days the availability at Aldi nosedives? When I went today (Sunday) the fruit and veg department was very spartan.
    Originally posted by Crisps87

I went once on a Sunday afternoon (usually go on Friday) and it was manic. People were queuing down the aisles even though every checkout was staffed. It was even worse than Christmas.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 23rd Apr 17, 9:26 PM
    • 14,840 Posts
    • 59,675 Thanks
    Judi
    The last few weeks ive been going on Fridays at tea time.... its bliss! No more than a couple of trolleys before us at the checkout.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 23rd Apr 17, 10:05 PM
    • 5,101 Posts
    • 6,508 Thanks
    A. Badger
    My Aldi had 1.8kg packs of fresh chicken breasts for £9.99 - there's 9 big breasts in there so just over £1 a breast - a decent deal so I grabbed the last pack!

Originally posted by Crisps87
    I wish it was easier to predict! I tend to go on a Tuesday as Sundays are insane and on Mondays they haven't re-stocked fully (don't even think about Friday, either!).

Last Tuesday, though. my local(ish) branch was low on all kinds of stock. No salted butter, very few chickens, lots of gaps all round the store.

Aldi needs to get its logistics better organised to cope with the increased amount of business it's doing.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 23rd Apr 17, 10:13 PM
    • 8,839 Posts
    • 8,211 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    There's a massive new Aldi distribution centre being built here. I'm expecting our local store's stock to be flawless when it opens.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Livelongandprosper
    • By Livelongandprosper 23rd Apr 17, 10:47 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 1,621 Thanks
    Livelongandprosper
    We don't have Aldi, just lidl, and apart from the weekend super savers the stock level is usually ok on a Sunday

We had a patch there earlier in the year when stocks were really bad, a problem with their distribution centre apparently. Seems to have been sorted. However I do sometimes need to go to a bigger town to ensure I get such things as the cats preferred food, my local is so small they have very little shelf space and when it comes to the multi variety outers, the popular ones go fast
    • maman
    • By maman 24th Apr 17, 5:11 PM
    • 16,237 Posts
    • 96,938 Thanks
    maman
    The last few weeks ive been going on Fridays at tea time.... its bliss! No more than a couple of trolleys before us at the checkout.
    Originally posted by Judi

I find if I go just before 3 o'clock on a Friday it's quiet as people are picking their children up from school. Stock is usually good too as they're busy filling shelves for the evening rush.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 24th Apr 17, 8:30 PM
    • 22,893 Posts
    • 47,562 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I find if I go just before 3 o'clock on a Friday it's quiet as people are picking their children up from school. Stock is usually good too as they're busy filling shelves for the evening rush.
    I try to visit as soon as it opens at 8am. The super 6 go fast at my local branch, but as I know what I want I'm in and out in less than 10 minutes. By evening there are crumbs left if you are lucky.

I actively avoid the weekends at Aldi, total havoc.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Towser
    • By Towser 25th Apr 17, 8:24 AM
    • 1,012 Posts
    • 1,705 Thanks
    Towser
    I used to use Aldi, but went off them as I had more than a few issues with their fresh stuff going off, even when unopened and before their use by dates.
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 25th Apr 17, 11:45 AM
    • 564 Posts
    • 547 Thanks
    PLRFD
    The fruit and veg has always been a problem at both Lidl and Aldi but it has improved a bit recently,maybe the 29p veg increased stock rotation ?
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 25th Apr 17, 3:49 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 44,785 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I store all my veg except potatoes in the fridge and Aldi veg lasts just as long as any other. Today I used up leeks and carrots bought 2 weeks ago and broccoli and courgettes bought a week ago. Potatoes bought 3 weeks ago are still fine, kept in the dark of course to prevent greening and sprouting. The Super 6 saves me a lot of money.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 25th Apr 17, 4:43 PM
    • 25,481 Posts
    • 102,958 Thanks
    candygirl
    I go at school run time too
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

991Posts Today

8,169Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin