Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Jan 16, 9:59 AM
    • 67,725Posts
    • 124,665Thanks
    torbrex
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*
    • 17th Jan 16, 9:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* 17th Jan 16 at 9:59 AM
    The old thread can be found here.

Please use this new thread to report any good finds in the Discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
    You can also report any not so good deals as a warning to others.

The Stollen bites and other xmas food was being given away FREE in my local Lidl this morning, plenty left and they want it shifted by next week.
Page 60
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 11th Mar 17, 9:39 PM
    • 5,993 Posts
    • 18,885 Thanks
    Doc N
    None of the Cravendale-style fresh filtered milk at all in Lidl today - they haven't dropped that as well from the range, have they?
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 12th Mar 17, 4:31 AM
    • 2,482 Posts
    • 3,524 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    None of the Cravendale-style fresh filtered milk at all in Lidl today - they haven't dropped that as well from the range, have they?
    Originally posted by Doc N
    It's a gimmick. Normal milk lasts just as long if you keep it at a consistent temperature. I buy a 4 pint milk and it lasts me a month.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Mar 17, 9:25 AM
    • 21,763 Posts
    • 43,742 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    It's a gimmick. Normal milk lasts just as long if you keep it at a consistent temperature. I buy a 4 pint milk and it lasts me a month.
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    Opened?!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 12th Mar 17, 9:52 AM
    • 2,482 Posts
    • 3,524 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Opened?!
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Yes, opened.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 12th Mar 17, 9:58 AM
    • 5,040 Posts
    • 6,436 Thanks
    A. Badger
    Yes, opened.
    I suspect you and I have very different definitions of what constitutes sour milk.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 12th Mar 17, 10:02 AM
    • 2,482 Posts
    • 3,524 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    I suspect you and I have very different definitions of what constitutes sour milk.
    Originally posted by A. Badger
    I certainly don't use sour milk lol and nor do any of my family!

People just need to learn how to store milk properly. Leaving it out on the counter drastically reduces its life span.

ETA: I've just made Yorkshire puddings with the last of the milk dated 20th February and it certainly wasn't sour. My son used it to make coffee this morning too.
    Last edited by Feral Moon; 12-03-2017 at 10:05 AM.
    • Shrimply
    • By Shrimply 12th Mar 17, 10:07 AM
    • 751 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    Shrimply
    My milk is only taken out the fridge when it's being used and it definitely doesn't last a month.

I stopped buying milk from Lidl as I found it went off far quicker than Tesco's so it was false economy. I found the same with their double cream too.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 12th Mar 17, 10:09 AM
    • 5,040 Posts
    • 6,436 Thanks
    A. Badger
    I certainly don't use sour milk lol and nor do any of my family!

People just need to learn how to store milk properly. Leaving it out on the counter drastically reduces its life span.

ETA: I've just made Yorkshire puddings with the last of the milk dated 20th February and it certainly wasn't sour. My son used it to make coffee this morning too.
    I'm sorry, I disagree with you. I have never left milk out of the fridge. I still find it unpleasant when used in tea after about a week.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 12th Mar 17, 10:25 AM
    • 2,482 Posts
    • 3,524 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    I'm sorry, I disagree with you. I have never left milk out of the fridge. I still find it unpleasant when used in tea after about a week.
    Maybe your fridge doesn't maintain a consistent temperature then. Opening it frequently doesn't help. I can honestly say nobody has ever complained of me serving them sour milk. Every time I open the bottle I do a sniff test and the slightest hint of it being on the turn then it goes down the drain.

I don't mind you disagreeing with me. I just simply stated that I use milk safely long past it's use by date.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Mar 17, 10:58 AM
    • 21,763 Posts
    • 43,742 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I still find it unpleasant when used in tea after about a week.
    I suppose I could just about cope after a week, but that would not be in a hot drink.

Having said that, I'm a tea and coffee monster and with regular top-ups for the LO I can make 12 pints stretch for 10 days, max.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 12th Mar 17, 10:58 AM
    • 5,040 Posts
    • 6,436 Thanks
    A. Badger
    Maybe your fridge doesn't maintain a consistent temperature then. Opening it frequently doesn't help. I can honestly say nobody has ever complained of me serving them sour milk. Every time I open the bottle I do a sniff test and the slightest hint of it being on the turn then it goes down the drain.

I don't mind you disagreeing with me. I just simply stated that I use milk safely long past it's use by date.
    It isn't the first fridge I've ever had...

I suspect the difference has to do with different people's sense of taste,
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 12th Mar 17, 11:10 AM
    • 5,993 Posts
    • 18,885 Thanks
    Doc N
    I think I'll just stick to the Lidl Cravendale-style fresh filtered milk - though I entirely take the point that the use-by date on ordinary milk is flexible.

Has anyone else had problems getting the Lidl 'Cravendale' lately?
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Mar 17, 11:27 AM
    • 21,763 Posts
    • 43,742 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    ^^ This.

I hate it when we fight

• mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 12th Mar 17, 10:56 PM
    • 4,304 Posts
    • 41,245 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    As I think I've mentioned previously, I've had the Aldi filtered milk three weeks past the use by date and still in a drinkable condition when put in to hot drinks. There's just no way that ordinary milk would last that long. I always put my milk back in the fridge. Even filtered milk will start to sour if left in a warm kitchen.
    I've found that the milk that sours fastest of all is milk reconstituted from powder. Aldi don't sell milk powder, it's one of the few things I have to buy from Tesc0.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 13th Mar 17, 7:50 AM
    • 2,482 Posts
    • 3,524 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    As I think I've mentioned previously, I've had the Aldi filtered milk three weeks past the use by date and still in a drinkable condition when put in to hot drinks. There's just no way that ordinary milk would last that long. I always put my milk back in the fridge. Even filtered milk will start to sour if left in a warm kitchen.
    I've found that the milk that sours fastest of all is milk reconstituted from powder. Aldi don't sell milk powder, it's one of the few things I have to buy from Tesc0.
    Originally posted by mcculloch29
    How can you say "there's no way ordinary milk would last that long" when I've already stated that I very regularly keep milk in my fridge 3-4 weeks without it going sour.

Maybe it's to do with storage, I don't know. I buy it fresh from my local Coop when it's literally just come off their refrigerated lorry. They have daily deliveries. And, unlike some supermarkets, it isn't sitting out on the shop floor for hours causing fluctuations in temperature. Nor is it sitting in a supermarket trolley for ages whilst doing the weekly shop.

You can't state that something I experience is impossible just because you have a different experience. I use very little milk as I said, a 4pt carton would last me a month as it's only for visitors coffee/tea or for making Yorkshire puddings for Sunday lunch.

Therefore it's not being regularly opened or removed from the fridge, allowing bacteria to grow. My fridge also has circulating air keeping all areas at a consistent temperature of 3 degrees centigrade. I'm sure all these factors play a significant part.

And, as I said above, I don't disagree that other people may have different experiences but please don't accuse me of being untruthful.
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 13th Mar 17, 8:08 AM
    • 513 Posts
    • 509 Thanks
    PLRFD
    Can we move on from milkgate now please ?
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 13th Mar 17, 8:13 AM
    • 2,482 Posts
    • 3,524 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Can we move on from milkgate now please ?
    Originally posted by PLRFD
    I hope so
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 13th Mar 17, 9:46 AM
    • 4,304 Posts
    • 41,245 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    How can you say "there's no way ordinary milk would last that long" when I've already stated that I very regularly keep milk in my fridge 3-4 weeks without it going sour.

Maybe it's to do with storage, I don't know. I buy it fresh from my local Coop when it's literally just come off their refrigerated lorry. They have daily deliveries. And, unlike some supermarkets, it isn't sitting out on the shop floor for hours causing fluctuations in temperature. Nor is it sitting in a supermarket trolley for ages whilst doing the weekly shop.

You can't state that something I experience is impossible just because you have a different experience. I use very little milk as I said, a 4pt carton would last me a month as it's only for visitors coffee/tea or for making Yorkshire puddings for Sunday lunch.

Therefore it's not being regularly opened or removed from the fridge, allowing bacteria to grow. My fridge also has circulating air keeping all areas at a consistent temperature of 3 degrees centigrade. I'm sure all these factors play a significant part.

And, as I said above, I don't disagree that other people may have different experiences but please don't accuse me of being untruthful.
    My apologies, I should have said 'there's no way ordinary milk would last that long for me', Bear in mind that when filtered milk is purchased it generally has a use by date of at least 2 weeks in advance. I wasn't doubting your experience.

Hopefully we can now get back on track before the board moderators rap our knuckles....
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 13th Mar 17, 10:04 AM
    • 8,489 Posts
    • 7,816 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    What's that? Knuckles are a great buy at Lidl and/or Aldi?

Has anyone got the Aldi Pod-based Coffee Maker (the one that takes the Nespresso pods)? I know it comes up fairly regularly on special buys. Any good? It seems quite cheap compared to similar products elsewhere.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 14th Mar 17, 11:43 AM
    • 4,304 Posts
    • 41,245 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I haven't got the Aldi Nespresso coffee maker, but it seems to have sold well. Mine is a Krups Pixie Clips. It's not bad but you have to clean it quite thoroughly between drinks if switching from ordinary to decaff or from coffee to tea.

Something new in Aldi housewares and I like them.
    Extra large (100 litre) heavy duty rubbish bags with drawstrings. Black. 15 in a pack for 1.49.
    Useful for many of us who have fortnightly collections and put our standard sized bags under strain.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,425Posts Today

9,091Users online

Martin's Twitter