Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    • 67,726Posts
    • 124,643Thanks
    torbrex
    6 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*
    • 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    6 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* 17th Jan 16 at 10:59 AM
    The old thread can be found here.

Please use this new thread to report any good finds in the Discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
    You can also report any not so good deals as a warning to others.

The Stollen bites and other xmas food was being given away FREE in my local Lidl this morning, plenty left and they want it shifted by next week.
Page 41
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 15th Oct 16, 11:25 PM
    • 1,565 Posts
    • 1,962 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    I buy the Aldi rib eye steak quite often as it's the only steak I like and it's good for the money. For me it's not quite as good as Waitrose meat counter rib eye but there is little in it especially when considering the greater price of the latter. IMO neither is a patch on the rib eye steaks you get in Costco though.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 16th Oct 16, 1:06 AM
    • 1,290 Posts
    • 1,140 Thanks
    robin58
    Just a quick note, bought some more Brussel sprouts and this time they were a lot larger than last time and not buggy.

Also noted that they have dropped the price of the Parsnips in my branch to 35p, no doubt in competition to Lidl's current 29p offer.

On another note. If you go into Lidl's for their 29p offer on cherry tomatoes, have a dig around. I managed to pick up 2 packets marked cherry tomatoes but they contained small plum tomatoes. Went through tills OK.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 16th Oct 16, 1:29 AM
    • 2,330 Posts
    • 3,256 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    On the subject of steak, I had Aldi's venison steak for dinner tonight and it was absolutely delicious and melted in the mouth.

And washed down with a bottle of their Malbec (£5.99) - complimented the steak perfectly.
    • pws52
    • By pws52 16th Oct 16, 8:34 AM
    • 140 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    pws52
    Cheap tinned tomatoes.
    A pack of 12 tins of whole tomatoes for £1.99 in Aldi yesterday.
    May have been a local offer?
    • sarahj1986
    • By sarahj1986 16th Oct 16, 10:33 AM
    • 1,001 Posts
    • 1,691 Thanks
    sarahj1986
    I've had the Aldi sirloin steaks and I thought they were pretty decent.

I must confess I haven't been into Aldi recently but I am running low on toothpaste and deodorant which I buy from there so I will probably go in again next week

Does anybody know if Aldi had got any Christmas stock out yet? They had their version of Ferrero Rocher last year and honestly I thought they tasted better than the Ferrero Rocher and half the price!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 16th Oct 16, 12:17 PM
    • 7,464 Posts
    • 3,596 Thanks
    Stompa
    Does anybody know if Aldi had got any Christmas stock out yet? They had their version of Ferrero Rocher last year and honestly I thought they tasted better than the Ferrero Rocher and half the price!
    Originally posted by sarahj1986
    Yes, there is a bit, though I don't recall seeing the Ferrero clone.
    Stompa
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 16th Oct 16, 3:03 PM
    • 4,991 Posts
    • 6,375 Thanks
    A. Badger
    Quite a lot of Christmas stock in my local Aldi, sad to say. I do wish supermarkets would stop dragging every holiday forward.

Meanwhile, a new find in Aldi - Memento French Mixed Berries and Salted Caramel butter biscuits. Both are exceptionally good. But terribly addictive...
    • charlie-chan
    • By charlie-chan 16th Oct 16, 9:00 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 957 Thanks
    charlie-chan
    Quite a lot of Christmas stock in my local Aldi, sad to say. I do wish supermarkets would stop dragging every holiday forward.

Meanwhile, a new find in Aldi - Memento French Mixed Berries and Salted Caramel butter biscuits. Both are exceptionally good. But terribly addictive...
    Originally posted by A. Badger
    I agree with you on the addictiveness of the Salted Caramel butter biscuits...
    Competition Wins:

Glee Goodie Bag!
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 16th Oct 16, 9:20 PM
    • 5,501 Posts
    • 10,260 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Has anyone tried the chocolate covered Stollen bites from Aldi
    Rejoined Slimming World 28/7/16
    Lost 2st 2lb first time Need to lose that again
    Lost 10lb 1st 6lb to go
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 16th Oct 16, 11:13 PM
    • 9,494 Posts
    • 21,104 Thanks
    suki1964
    Has anyone tried the chocolate covered Stollen bites from Aldi
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble

Nope

And you can't , you're on a diet so just don't even think about them
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 17th Oct 16, 1:54 PM
    • 2,330 Posts
    • 3,256 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Didn't spot any Xmas goodies yesterday but I wasn't browsing as usual, just taking advantage of a rare drive by to stock up on more veg, steak and wine.
    • andygb
    • By andygb 17th Oct 16, 6:26 PM
    • 11,015 Posts
    • 22,924 Thanks
    andygb

You should never put the salt on until the very end
    Originally posted by quoia

Well, Jamie Oliver and quite a lot of other top chefs - plus myself of course, would politely disagree with you.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-features/features/how-to-cook-the-perfect-steak/

I have been cooking steak for over thirty years, and in the past have ordered steak in many restaurants and been underwhelmed, with chewy, underseasoned, dry meat.
    It has got to the point, that we never eat out any more, because very often the food is overpriced and lacks quality.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 17th Oct 16, 11:41 PM
    • 20,401 Posts
    • 40,221 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    It has got to the point, that we never eat out any more, because very often the food is overpriced and lacks quality.
    Originally posted by andygb
    Welcome to my world!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • meer53
    • By meer53 18th Oct 16, 8:55 AM
    • 8,364 Posts
    • 11,920 Thanks
    meer53
    Well, Jamie Oliver and quite a lot of other top chefs - plus myself of course, would politely disagree with you.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-features/features/how-to-cook-the-perfect-steak/

I have been cooking steak for over thirty years, and in the past have ordered steak in many restaurants and been underwhelmed, with chewy, underseasoned, dry meat.
    I went out for a meal on Saturday, i had a rib eye steak. It was fantastic, melted in my mouth, tasted amazing, was incredibly tender. There are still restaurants who serve excellent food, yes it's not cheap, and would probably be a quarter of the price to buy from Aldi and cook myself but sometimes, it's nice to treat yourself ! We also regularly visit a local pub for Sunday lunch, excellent value for money for their carvery, it's a shame you choose to not eat out anymore, there are still good places around.
    • Happygreen
    • By Happygreen 18th Oct 16, 9:19 AM
    • 2,352 Posts
    • 9,181 Thanks
    Happygreen
    I usually cook everything from scratch and bar fish&chips you won't find many ready meals in my freezer. OH has discovered The Lidl "chef select" curries from the chiller when I was away and we tried another variety last night as I'd been not well enough to cook. Lile the Chicken Jalfrezi, the Korma was very nice indeed, the perfect amount for one person and a good ingredients list. We still have the Thai Curry to try. Some folks posted that Aldi also sells something similar, has anyone compared them yet?
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi

Weight Loss thread - - 10.5 kg - 2 st. Swagbucks £55 AZ, 2nd hand sales £ 11, Cash4Clothes
    • Happygreen
    • By Happygreen 18th Oct 16, 9:25 AM
    • 2,352 Posts
    • 9,181 Thanks
    Happygreen
    SNAP !

I can tell the difference and actually prefer Cauli leaves to most if not all cabbages.

Originally posted by quoia
    so do my chickens I think cauli is sweeter than other cabbages and a shame to just chuck into the bin. I also eat radish leaves if I can get hold of a big white one without them been chopped off...
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi

Weight Loss thread - - 10.5 kg - 2 st. Swagbucks £55 AZ, 2nd hand sales £ 11, Cash4Clothes
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 18th Oct 16, 1:57 PM
    • 8,012 Posts
    • 7,285 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    New product at Aldi:-

Passions Deli Pea Snacks (21g) - Sweet Chilli or Salt & Vinegar flavours.

These are snacks made from dried peas (with lots of other stuff including rice flour thrown in). Quite tasty, and they claim to be baked, not fried. 39p, which is not bad for a gluten-free snack.

What they're not (despite appearances) is whole fried pea pods (would that work?)
    "He knows more about the UK TV Licence than anyone I've ever met".
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 18th Oct 16, 4:58 PM
    • 2,330 Posts
    • 3,256 Thanks
    Feral Moon

I completely agree! For the limited amount of time a steak will ever be on my grill pan, I don't need to worry about salt absorbing any moisture from the meat!

It's very rare I even order steak in restaurants these days as I can produce a far superior meal at home for a fraction of the price - £3.79 vs £23 - ermmm hello! lol
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 18th Oct 16, 5:03 PM
    • 2,330 Posts
    • 3,256 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    I went out for a meal on Saturday, i had a rib eye steak. It was fantastic, melted in my mouth, tasted amazing, was incredibly tender. There are still restaurants who serve excellent food, yes it's not cheap, and would probably be a quarter of the price to buy from Aldi and cook myself but sometimes, it's nice to treat yourself ! We also regularly visit a local pub for Sunday lunch, excellent value for money for their carvery, it's a shame you choose to not eat out anymore, there are still good places around.
    Originally posted by meer53
    But why would you go out and spend 4/5x the cost of a meal that you can produce to a higher standard yourself? It's not as if cooking a Sunday roast or steak dinner is arduous.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 18th Oct 16, 6:00 PM
    • 20,401 Posts
    • 40,221 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    But why would you go out and spend 4/5x the cost of a meal that you can produce to a higher standard yourself? It's not as if cooking a Sunday roast or steak dinner is arduous.
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    Eating out is still a treat for many people: I could understand this in the era of meat-and-two veg, but these days what's available in the supermarket is far more interesting.

When you've had as many sub-standard meals out as I have, you just don't bother! Veggie food seems a puzzle to many "chefs" and is not that expensive to DIY with good results.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

285Posts Today

1,094Users online

Martin's Twitter