Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    • 67,726Posts
    • 124,643Thanks
    torbrex
    4 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*
    • 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    4 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* 17th Jan 16 at 10:59 AM
    The old thread can be found here.

Please use this new thread to report any good finds in the Discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
    You can also report any not so good deals as a warning to others.

The Stollen bites and other xmas food was being given away FREE in my local Lidl this morning, plenty left and they want it shifted by next week.
Page 40
    • robin58
    • By robin58 13th Oct 16, 12:11 AM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 1,147 Thanks
    robin58
    I know where you live

Still you can always pop into the Matalan afterwards, or go to the bingo place before you have a KFC supper.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    I've been rumbled!!!!

But you have forgot Travis Perkins at the back for the new toilet seat.
    Last edited by robin58; 13-10-2016 at 12:18 AM.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • robin58
    • By robin58 13th Oct 16, 12:15 AM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 1,147 Thanks
    robin58
    I bought some Brussels sprouts from Aldi from the Super 6 and half of them were mouldy when I took off the bit that was attached to the 'tree'. Black inside.

Another produce item added to the won't buy from Aldi again list.
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    Found these to be a bit on the small size and 'buggy'. But then again they are a bit early in the season. Will keep a eye on future packs.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 13th Oct 16, 12:34 AM
    • 9,447 Posts
    • 19,326 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    Was told that Aldi steak was good.

Thought I would try it, thinking it would be ok but not great.

How wrong was I!

It was brilliant.

Not keen on their veg though. It is ok if you use it straightaway but does not keep well in my experience.
    • quoia
    • By quoia 13th Oct 16, 1:17 AM
    • 12,854 Posts
    • 140,095 Thanks
    quoia
    I bought some Brussels sprouts from Aldi from the Super 6 and half of them were mouldy when I took off the bit that was attached to the 'tree'. Black inside.

Another produce item added to the won't buy from Aldi again list.
    Your store seems to have more than it's fair share of bad fruit & veg. Have you considered speaking to management to find out why?

I bought some myself the other day and they were crisp, firm and absolutely delicious!
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    Found these to be a bit on the small size and 'buggy'. But then again they are a bit early in the season. Will keep a eye on future packs.
    Originally posted by robin58
    Agree with F M, bought some Sunday and they were all but PERFECT, albeit that picking after a frost makes them better still.

Regards size - plenty of choice at ours.
    I selected a 500g bag that had the very smallest inside - there was about 80 of them
    Other bags had larger ones - perhaps about 40 to the bag and some had even bigger still with only 25 or even 20 sprouts in them.
    99% of the bags appeared to contain entirely "pristine" produce and mine certainly didn't contain mouldy ones or any bugs.
    Only waste were a few discarded outer leaves and 1mm trimmed from the bases.

Looking forward to when the entire stalks start hitting the shops.
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•Ώ•)›
    ‹(•Ώ•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S ω6.59 so far ..
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 13th Oct 16, 8:07 AM
    • 5,527 Posts
    • 10,300 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Your store seems to have more than it's fair share of bad fruit & veg. Have you considered speaking to management to find out why?

I bought some myself the other day and they were crisp, firm and absolutely delicious!
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    The problematic FnV has come from 3 or 4 different Aldi stores within 6 miles from here. I forget which stores I bought each of the bad FnV from. So, its easier not to buy it in the future.

I go to a different store, depending on where I have been earlier in the day.
    Rejoined Slimming World 28/7/16
    Lost 2st 2lb first time Need to lose that again
    Lost 10lb 1st 6lb to go
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 13th Oct 16, 8:10 AM
    • 5,527 Posts
    • 10,300 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Quoia,

Someone told me the stalks are good for making veg stock.
    Lost 10lb 1st 6lb to go
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 13th Oct 16, 12:27 PM
    • 2,349 Posts
    • 1,698 Thanks
    dekaspace

How wrong was I!

It was brilliant.

Not keen on their veg though. It is ok if you use it straightaway but does not keep well in my experience.
    Originally posted by POPPYOSCAR
    Two ways of looking at that, depending on where you are in country you will get different suppliers so varying quality.

And even if you get lots from 1 supplier it will be nicer somewhere closer to depot.
    • quoia
    • By quoia 13th Oct 16, 2:20 PM
    • 12,854 Posts
    • 140,095 Thanks
    quoia
    Quoia,

Someone told me the stalks are good for making veg stock.
    I use just about all the bits of all vegetables that you would normally throw away for this purpose.

All the outer leaves from things like cabbages, cauliflowers and even brussel sprouts.
    Stalks (those chunks I have decided not to roast) and "clean" trimmings from them.
    Even peelings from potatoes, carrots, parsnips etc.
    Just wash or scrub as necessary before peeling.
    "Bad bits" in the bin - everything else in the stock pot.

Regarding the brussel stalks - I particularly like them because you can easily keep them for up to a month or more just taking a few "fresh" sprouts every now and then, and if you pick the "correct" stalk it's usually the cheapest way to buy them.

I keep mine on the sill in the corner of the kitchen window, where it's quite cool, upright with the bottom end in a small vase filled with water.
    Change the water daily and when you remove any sprouts (always from the bottom) cut the stalk by about the same amount that is now "sproutless" giving a new end in which to allow water take up.

(11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S ω6.59 so far ..
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 13th Oct 16, 6:44 PM
    • 2,342 Posts
    • 3,263 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Two ways of looking at that, depending on where you are in country you will get different suppliers so varying quality.

And even if you get lots from 1 supplier it will be nicer somewhere closer to depot.
    Originally posted by dekaspace
    Exactly the same for fruit and veg as they like to use local suppliers. I live in the Fens which supply fruit & veg to the whole country and beyond.

I don't which suppliers they use for meat/poultry but I've never had a complaint and the steaks are better than my local butcher.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 13th Oct 16, 7:36 PM
    • 3,026 Posts
    • 1,824 Thanks
    glider3560
    Has anyone tried Aldi's vodka (the one with the red label) for £9.99?

Also, do they sell tomato juice? Anyone know how much this costs?

I'm thinking of making blood themed cocktails for a halloween party and don't want to be turning up with Tesco Value products...!

• Doc N
    • By Doc N 13th Oct 16, 7:44 PM
    • 5,877 Posts
    • 18,753 Thanks
    Doc N

I'm thinking of making blood themed cocktails for a halloween party and don't want to be turning up with Tesco Value products...!
    Originally posted by glider3560
    Not sure they sell tomato juice, but the vodka's fine - much like any other vodka.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 13th Oct 16, 9:36 PM
    • 5,527 Posts
    • 10,300 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I use just about all the bits of all vegetables that you would normally throw away for this purpose.

All the outer leaves from things like cabbages, cauliflowers and even brussel sprouts.
    Stalks (those chunks I have decided not to roast) and "clean" trimmings from them.
    Even peelings from potatoes, carrots, parsnips etc.
    Just wash or scrub as necessary before peeling.
    "Bad bits" in the bin - everything else in the stock pot.

Regarding the brussel stalks - I particularly like them because you can easily keep them for up to a month or more just taking a few "fresh" sprouts every now and then, and if you pick the "correct" stalk it's usually the cheapest way to buy them.

I keep mine on the sill in the corner of the kitchen window, where it's quite cool, upright with the bottom end in a small vase filled with water.
    Change the water daily and when you remove any sprouts (always from the bottom) cut the stalk by about the same amount that is now "sproutless" giving a new end in which to allow water take up.
    Originally posted by quoia
    I actually eat cauliflower leaves and cook it like cabbage. Can't tell the difference and its MSE as getting '2 for 1'
    Lost 10lb 1st 6lb to go
    • quoia
    • By quoia 13th Oct 16, 11:13 PM
    • 12,854 Posts
    • 140,095 Thanks
    quoia
    I actually eat cauliflower leaves and cook it like cabbage. Can't tell the difference and its MSE as getting '2 for 1'
    SNAP !

I can tell the difference and actually prefer Cauli leaves to most if not all cabbages.

It's only the very outer leaves that are perhaps a bit tatty and beyond their best that I'd use for stock - as I said before, those that you'd just throw away.

When selecting a cauliflower I obviously look for the largest head available that's really white with nice tight florets but I also try to find one that got as much greenery surrounding it as possible because it's DELICIOUS

S ω6.59 so far ..
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 14th Oct 16, 12:21 AM
    • 2,342 Posts
    • 3,263 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    I visited a previously unknown (to me) Aldi this afternoon and made a point of checking out the Brussels. All looked absolutely fine to me, good sizes and fresh green appearance.

One think that made me chuckle was spotting the ready spiralised veg and cauliflower rice
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 14th Oct 16, 2:43 PM
    • 500 Posts
    • 493 Thanks
    PLRFD

Originally posted by glider3560
    I'm pretty sure both Aldi and Lidl sell tomato juice 99p a litre last week at Lidl it was on offer 20p off I think.
    • maman
    • By maman 14th Oct 16, 6:13 PM
    • 15,034 Posts
    • 88,658 Thanks
    maman
    I'm pretty sure both Aldi and Lidl sell tomato juice 99p a litre last week at Lidl it was on offer 20p off I think.
    Originally posted by PLRFD
    Definitely had tomato juice in my Aldi today but didn't notice the price.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 14th Oct 16, 8:11 PM
    • 4,992 Posts
    • 6,376 Thanks
    A. Badger
    My local Aldi didn't have the own brand microwaveable rice this week (handy as a standby) - instead it had Uncle Ben's at not too far off twice the price.

I hope this isn't a trend towards selling major brands.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 14th Oct 16, 8:13 PM
    • 4,992 Posts
    • 6,376 Thanks
    A. Badger
    Not sure they sell tomato juice, but the vodka's fine - much like any other vodka.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    Agreed. I wouldn't drink it neat but as a mixer, who can tell?
    • andygb
    • By andygb 15th Oct 16, 6:22 PM
    • 11,044 Posts
    • 23,033 Thanks
    andygb

How wrong was I!

It was brilliant.

Originally posted by POPPYOSCAR

Our once a month treat is Aldi ribeye steak (don't try the Lidl equivalent though, because we have found it chewy and lacking in taste) with HM oven chips and mushrooms.
    When we were a bit better off, we used to buy steak at Sainsburys or Waitrose, but this is much better and a lot cheaper.
    To cook it, I use a large Circulon frying pan, and I rub a little olive oil on the steak (never the pan), then season with a little salt, and a healthy amount of cracked black pepper. I heat the pan for about five or six minutes at a hot setting on the hob and cook for three minutes each side (for pink in the middle). For the last minute, I add a little knob of butter to the pan and using a spoon, nappe the steak with it when it melts.
    I always rest the steak for around five minutes at least.
    Only two weeks until our next one
    • quoia
    • By quoia 15th Oct 16, 7:28 PM
    • 12,854 Posts
    • 140,095 Thanks
    quoia
    Our once a month treat is Aldi ribeye steak (don't try the Lidl equivalent though, because we have found it chewy and lacking in taste) with HM oven chips and mushrooms.
    When we were a bit better off, we used to buy steak at Sainsburys or Waitrose, but this is much better and a lot cheaper.
    To cook it, I use a large Circulon frying pan, and I rub a little olive oil on the steak (never the pan), then season with a little salt, and a healthy amount of cracked black pepper. I heat the pan for about five or six minutes at a hot setting on the hob and cook for three minutes each side (for pink in the middle). For the last minute, I add a little knob of butter to the pan and using a spoon, nappe the steak with it when it melts.
    I always rest the steak for around five minutes at least.
    Only two weeks until our next one
    Originally posted by andygb

You should never put the salt on until the very end
    All it does is absorb moisture from the steak which is the last thing you want

S ω6.59 so far ..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,680Posts Today

6,381Users online

Martin's Twitter