Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    • 67,726Posts
    • 124,643Thanks
    torbrex
    4 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*
    • 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    4 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* 17th Jan 16 at 10:59 AM
    The old thread can be found here.

Please use this new thread to report any good finds in the Discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
    You can also report any not so good deals as a warning to others.

The Stollen bites and other xmas food was being given away FREE in my local Lidl this morning, plenty left and they want it shifted by next week.
Page 39
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 9th Oct 16, 9:21 AM
    • 2,338 Posts
    • 3,259 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    I'm with treboeth on that. Nicky Elite 3-ply certainly aren't nasty - check out the Amazon reviews:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nicky-Elite-Luxury-Toilet-Rolls/dp/B00FBEBWP2

They are cheap, though - less than £4 for 18 in a couple of places.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    I think she was probably referring to the cheap Nicky toilet rolls as sold by discounter stores which certainly are cheap and nasty. The rolls are thin and loosely packed and the paper disintegrates as soon as it gets wet.

What you ever posted appears to be a more "luxury" type. The problem with buying them online means you don't get to inspect them first and have to rely on others' opinion which can vary enormous.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 9th Oct 16, 10:16 AM
    • 5,877 Posts
    • 18,753 Thanks
    Doc N
    I think she was probably referring to the cheap Nicky toilet rolls as sold by discounter stores which certainly are cheap and nasty. The rolls are thin and loosely packed and the paper disintegrates as soon as it gets wet.

What you ever posted appears to be a more "luxury" type. The problem with buying them online means you don't get to inspect them first and have to rely on others' opinion which can vary enormous.
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    I'm sure you're right. The one referred to was Nicky Elite (it's 3-ply) and the basic Nicky won't be as strong.

Nicky Elite is pretty widely available in discount stores such as Farmfoods though at £3.99 for 18, and it's vastly superior to the Aldi equivalent. I say that as a longstanding supporter of Aldi (and Lidl) too.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 9th Oct 16, 10:29 AM
    • 2,338 Posts
    • 3,259 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    I'm sure you're right. The one referred to was Nicky Elite (it's 3-ply) and the basic Nicky won't be as strong.

Nicky Elite is pretty widely available in discount stores such as Farmfoods though at £3.99 for 18, and it's vastly superior to the Aldi equivalent. I say that as a longstanding supporter of Aldi (and Lidl) too.
    I've never been in a Farmfoods store and a quick Google tells me the nearest one is over 30 miles away which is double the distance of my nearest Aldi
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 9th Oct 16, 10:46 AM
    • 818 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    I've never been in a Farmfoods store and a quick Google tells me the nearest one is over 30 miles away which is double the distance of my nearest Aldi
    You've not lived!
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 9th Oct 16, 1:23 PM
    • 679 Posts
    • 718 Thanks
    treboeth
    There are a few different types of Nicky rolls, the Farmfood ones have Aloe Vera and smell lovely (and I am a bloke and we don`t care about these things )

Feral get to Farmfoods and buy some now (ok 30 miles is a bit far )
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 10th Oct 16, 1:14 AM
    • 2,338 Posts
    • 3,259 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    You've not lived!
    Originally posted by ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    I have absolutely no desire to buy cheap sub standard frozen food, thank you
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 10th Oct 16, 6:40 AM
    • 5,877 Posts
    • 18,753 Thanks
    Doc N
    I have absolutely no desire to buy cheap sub standard frozen food, thank you
    A little unfair, I think, from someone who admits to never having been inside one of their stores!

It isn't just frozen food, and it certainly isn't sub-standard.

In addition to frozen food we sell groceries, chilled foods, bread, milk, fresh fruit and vegetables along with a range of household items. Across our ranges you will find the brands you know and trust at prices you will love.

This is the sort of allegation that used to be made against Aldi and Lidl back in the early days!
    • VeGGie-STyLe
    • By VeGGie-STyLe 10th Oct 16, 5:29 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    VeGGie-STyLe
    No, but the croissants are delicious. I ate the best part of one before I even reached the till yesterday, I really should have paid first and eaten later
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse

Oh nooo...the carbs!!! THE CARBS!!!!!!!!!!!

• Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 10th Oct 16, 7:32 PM
    • 539 Posts
    • 2,309 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Green and red grapes in Aldi @ £1.19 for 400g.
    Not sure if it national or local as the shop I was in had just re-opened after a refit.
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    Lidl have price match the grapes, £1.19/400g punnet
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.

Walk 1000 miles in a year challenge - 694.7
    This week - 44.5
    • robin58
    • By robin58 11th Oct 16, 1:02 AM
    • 1,294 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    robin58
    A little unfair, I think, from someone who admits to never having been inside one of their stores!

In addition to frozen food we sell groceries, chilled foods, bread, milk, fresh fruit and vegetables along with a range of household items. Across our ranges you will find the brands you know and trust at prices you will love.

This is the sort of allegation that used to be made against Aldi and Lidl back in the early days!
    Well I have been in their shopping for over 13 years plus.

Their food quality has gone down over the years. As a company they need taking over.

And people knock Iceland!
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • maman
    • By maman 11th Oct 16, 11:23 AM
    • 15,032 Posts
    • 88,651 Thanks
    maman

I go into Farmfoods most weeks but I'm very selective in what I buy.

I posted this on the Farmfoods/Heron thread back in August.

I thought I'd post in case Farmfoods keep a check on the thread.

When I was in there today a customer came over to the checkout and asked for the price of various fruit and veg. The cashier apologised explained that they hadn't had time to label them up properly.

I asked him why and he said that they were very sort staffed because people had left because they were disillusioned. He said that Farmfoods keep cutting their hours but at the same time expecting them to do more.

That doesn't sound like a good employer.
    Originally posted by maman

It definitely sounds like a company ripe for take over. So many of their prices aren't competitive (with Aldi and Lidl) any more and what they have which is cheap is often junk. I'm pleased today to be getting to the bottom of a bag of chicken breasts that I definitely wont be replacing (full of salt water). I need some fish but the bags in Iceland (also 3 for £10) look much more appetising with decent fillets rather than scraps. So when I've room in the freezer I'll be off to Iceland.

My list for Farmfoods gets shorter and shorter: toilet rolls, kitchen roll, milk, bread (2 for £1 Allinsons 400g), frozen leeks and peas, occasional crisps and biscuits and sometimes fruit/veg if there's any left and the price is obvious!
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 11th Oct 16, 5:57 PM
    • 2,338 Posts
    • 3,259 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Iceland has actually improved a great deal. I hadn't been in a store for years but recently discovered they stock my favourite exotic meats (Kezie Foods) so I've been in a couple of times since and been pleasantly surprised each time.

I don't usually buy ready meals but tried some of their Chinese meals and they're really very good and cost much less than a takeaway. I think the half crispy duck was around £3/£4 and great value!
    • robin58
    • By robin58 12th Oct 16, 12:28 AM
    • 1,294 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    robin58
    I go into Farmfoods most weeks but I'm very selective in what I buy.

I posted this on the Farmfoods/Heron thread back in August.

It definitely sounds like a company ripe for take over. So many of their prices aren't competitive (with Aldi and Lidl) any more and what they have which is cheap is often junk. I'm pleased today to be getting to the bottom of a bag of chicken breasts that I definitely wont be replacing (full of salt water). I need some fish but the bags in Iceland (also 3 for £10) look much more appetising with decent fillets rather than scraps. So when I've room in the freezer I'll be off to Iceland.

My list for Farmfoods gets shorter and shorter: toilet rolls, kitchen roll, milk, bread (2 for £1 Allinsons 400g), frozen leeks and peas, occasional crisps and biscuits and sometimes fruit/veg if there's any left and the price is obvious!
    Originally posted by maman
    Well I have Poundstrecher, Farmfoods, Lidl and Iceland all in a line on a shopping complex. Guess which is nearly always empty, The second one. And you can all guess which is the busiest.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 12th Oct 16, 3:50 AM
    • 679 Posts
    • 718 Thanks
    treboeth
    Well I have Poundstrecher, Farmfoods, Lidl and Iceland all in a line on a shopping complex. Guess which is nearly always empty, The second one. And you can all guess which is the busiest.
    Originally posted by robin58
    Is it Tesco
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 12th Oct 16, 3:12 PM
    • 6,737 Posts
    • 9,237 Thanks
    KxMx
    Green and red grapes in Aldi @ £1.19 for 400g.
    Not sure if it national or local as the shop I was in had just re-opened after a refit.
    Lidl have price match the grapes, £1.19/400g punnet
    The Lidl I was in today had 500g punnets of grapes for that price. Red & mixed, can't be certain on the green
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Oct 16, 3:49 PM
    • 20,470 Posts
    • 40,386 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Originally posted by robin58
    I know where you live

Still you can always pop into the Matalan afterwards, or go to the bingo place before you have a KFC supper.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Oct 16, 10:19 PM
    • 20,470 Posts
    • 40,386 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The Gift Of Beauty
    I see that Aldi has its advent beauty calendar out for £19.99, better value than many of the big brands if you like that sort of thing.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 12th Oct 16, 11:06 PM
    • 5,527 Posts
    • 10,286 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I bought some Brussels sprouts from Aldi from the Super 6 and half of them were mouldy when I took off the bit that was attached to the 'tree'. Black inside.

Another produce item added to the won't buy from Aldi again list.
    Rejoined Slimming World 28/7/16
    Lost 2st 2lb first time Need to lose that again
    Lost 10lb 1st 6lb to go
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 12th Oct 16, 11:10 PM
    • 5,527 Posts
    • 10,286 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    There is a FF down the same road as my work. Only buy loo rolls from there. Plus I have bought breakfast cereal from them past 4 months - I'm the only one in the shop. Sometimes there is no member of staff about either. So anyone can walk out nicking shopping.
    Rejoined Slimming World 28/7/16
    Lost 2st 2lb first time Need to lose that again
    Lost 10lb 1st 6lb to go
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 12th Oct 16, 11:17 PM
    • 2,338 Posts
    • 3,259 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    I bought some Brussels sprouts from Aldi from the Super 6 and half of them were mouldy when I took off the bit that was attached to the 'tree'. Black inside.

Another produce item added to the won't buy from Aldi again list.
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    Your store seems to have more than it's fair share of bad fruit & veg. Have you considered speaking to management to find out why?

I bought some myself the other day and they were crisp, firm and absolutely delicious!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,821Posts Today

7,309Users online

Martin's Twitter