Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    • 67,726Posts
    • 124,643Thanks
    torbrex
    6 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*
    • 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    6 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* 17th Jan 16 at 10:59 AM
    The old thread can be found here.

Please use this new thread to report any good finds in the Discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
    You can also report any not so good deals as a warning to others.

The Stollen bites and other xmas food was being given away FREE in my local Lidl this morning, plenty left and they want it shifted by next week.
Page 38
    • andygb
    • By andygb 7th Oct 16, 12:54 PM
    • 11,015 Posts
    • 22,924 Thanks
    andygb
    I will have to keep an eye out for those then. How do they compare to a takeaway?
    Originally posted by d0nna
    I reckon I know what a good takeaway is, and I also cook curries from scratch, and I think these Aldi curries are better than some of the takeaways I have had.
    To be honest, I was shocked - in a good way
    There seemed to be more meat than any other takeaway, and the meat had absorbed the flavour of the spices, unlike a lot of other ready meals.
    I am also glad that they didn't have rice with them, because for me that is the biggest failing area of ready meals, and I would rather have my home prepared biryani.
    • andygb
    • By andygb 7th Oct 16, 12:59 PM
    • 11,015 Posts
    • 22,924 Thanks
    andygb
    Aldi have finally stocked a decent range of tinned beans (not tomato sauce variety) and I also picked up a few packs of braising steak, which I've not previously seen in there. Plus with the super 6 being predominantly winter veg, I'm all set up to make a vast array of stews and soups that will provide me with at least a month's worth of meals for just a few quid
    Originally posted by Feral Moon

That sounds a great idea, particularly now that the temperatue has fallen by about 10C.
    We often buy up Aldi veg when it is on offer, but we have a few "international" shops close by, and they sell 4kg bags of onions (white and red) for £1.49 and chillis and garlic are really cheap, plus bunches of fresh herbs (3 for a £1).
    As you say, cooking up batches of lovel stew is a real way to save money.
    • d0nna
    • By d0nna 7th Oct 16, 1:39 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    d0nna
    I reckon I know what a good takeaway is, and I also cook curries from scratch, and I think these Aldi curries are better than some of the takeaways I have had.
    To be honest, I was shocked - in a good way
    There seemed to be more meat than any other takeaway, and the meat had absorbed the flavour of the spices, unlike a lot of other ready meals.
    I am also glad that they didn't have rice with them, because for me that is the biggest failing area of ready meals, and I would rather have my home prepared biryani.
    Originally posted by andygb
    Thanks for the recommendation. Yeah the rice with ready meals can be unpleasant. I will have to have an Indian night very soon.
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 7th Oct 16, 1:55 PM
    • 6,426 Posts
    • 29,469 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    Think the rice-less curries are a one off as checked our Lidl today and they didn't have any. They did have the Indian starters for 95p.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 7th Oct 16, 2:34 PM
    • 1,846 Posts
    • 3,627 Thanks
    dlusman
    Think the rice-less curries are a one off as checked our Lidl today and they didn't have any. They did have the Indian starters for 95p.
    Originally posted by charlies_mum
    Read back through the past few posts , and then make sure you go into the correct chain of stores
    • charlie-chan
    • By charlie-chan 7th Oct 16, 3:20 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 957 Thanks
    charlie-chan
    I do like the Indian Night Takeaway for Two bags that Aldi sell.
    Competition Wins:

Glee Goodie Bag!
    • andygb
    • By andygb 7th Oct 16, 7:20 PM
    • 11,015 Posts
    • 22,924 Thanks
    andygb
    Thanks for the recommendation. Yeah the rice with ready meals can be unpleasant. I will have to have an Indian night very soon.
    Originally posted by d0nna

I should have added that I microwaved both dishes as opposed to oven heat. I did cheat a little with the Jalfrezi (because that was going to be my one - hotter), and I did a few extra slices of onions and six green birdseye chillis to a pan, and sauteed them, then added the Jalfrezi to it once it had cooked.

This is the biryani rice

• charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 7th Oct 16, 9:59 PM
    • 6,426 Posts
    • 29,469 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    Read back through the past few posts , and then make sure you go into the correct chain of stores
    Originally posted by dlusman
    That explains why I couldn't find them
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 7th Oct 16, 11:18 PM
    • 2,330 Posts
    • 3,256 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Aldi's Daily Essentials pack of 6 toilet rolls - £1.99 - excellent quality, on a par with Andrex, if not better.
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 7th Oct 16, 11:54 PM
    • 675 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    treboeth
    Aldi's Daily Essentials pack of 6 toilet rolls - £1.99 - excellent quality, on a par with Andrex, if not better.
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    Are they the double rolls?
    If they are try the Nicky toilet rolls from Farmfoods, as an Aldi fan even I think the Nicky ones are much nicer (3 ply as well)
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 8th Oct 16, 8:28 AM
    • 525 Posts
    • 2,277 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Green and red grapes in Aldi @ £1.19 for 400g.
    Not sure if it national or local as the shop I was in had just re-opened after a refit.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.

Walk 1000 miles in a year challenge - 694.7
    This week - 44.5
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 8th Oct 16, 8:30 AM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 6,168 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    Graham's dairy ice cream purchased recently in Lidl. Lovely creamy vanilla ice cream, made in Scotland and offered as 2 litres for the price of one. (£2.99) I think that it was a special but worth looking out for (blue tub) I hope that it becomes a regular... Love ice cream.....
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • d0nna
    • By d0nna 8th Oct 16, 9:00 AM
    • 115 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    d0nna
    I should have added that I microwaved both dishes as opposed to oven heat. I did cheat a little with the Jalfrezi (because that was going to be my one - hotter), and I did a few extra slices of onions and six green birdseye chillis to a pan, and sauteed them, then added the Jalfrezi to it once it had cooked.

This is the biryani rice

Originally posted by andygb
    Sounds and looks delicious!
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 8th Oct 16, 9:44 AM
    • 18,974 Posts
    • 30,476 Thanks
    Spendless
    Really?! What does it taste like?

I'm asking you rather than going into the kitchen and trying some.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Like what I imagine eating a mouse would be like.

Many years ago a workmate seeing me eating sliced kiwi told me I was meant to eat the skin. Being young and kiwi being a relatively 'new' (at least to me) fruit, I believed her and tried it. It remains the only time I ever tried it.
    • marbella
    • By marbella 8th Oct 16, 10:00 AM
    • 796 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    marbella
    I had the Lamb Shank in Minted Gravy last night (Lidl) and it was amazing. £2.49 and there was so much meat on it. Cook in the microwave 7 mins. Nice quick meal coming in from work last night.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 8th Oct 16, 10:09 AM
    • 8,012 Posts
    • 7,285 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I wasn't that keen on the Lamb when I tried it, but the Beef is fantastic.
    "He knows more about the UK TV Licence than anyone I've ever met".
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 8th Oct 16, 3:38 PM
    • 3,021 Posts
    • 1,820 Thanks
    glider3560
    Has anyone else thought that the topping on Lidl's vegetable pizza slice from the bakery has reduced?

I don't have a Lidl nearby, so only buy them occasionally when I'm on the road, but I'm sure the topping has reduced.

• Greenqueen
    • By Greenqueen 8th Oct 16, 6:08 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 512 Thanks
    Greenqueen
    Colgate triple action toothpaste 79p in Aldi for 100g

Not seen it cheaper than £1 anywhere else
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 8th Oct 16, 8:27 PM
    • 20,401 Posts
    • 40,221 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    If they are try the Nicky toilet rolls from Farmfoods, as an Aldi fan even I think the Nicky ones are much nicer (3 ply as well)
    Originally posted by treboeth
    Can't bear them, cheap and nasty.

Has anyone else thought that the topping on Lidl's vegetable pizza slice from the bakery has reduced?
    Originally posted by glider3560
    No, but the croissants are delicious. I ate the best part of one before I even reached the till yesterday, I really should have paid first and eaten later
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 9th Oct 16, 7:28 AM
    • 5,876 Posts
    • 18,751 Thanks
    Doc N
    Originally posted by treboeth
    Can't bear them, cheap and nasty.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    I'm with treboeth on that. Nicky Elite 3-ply certainly aren't nasty - check out the Amazon reviews:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nicky-Elite-Luxury-Toilet-Rolls/dp/B00FBEBWP2

They are cheap, though - less than £4 for 18 in a couple of places.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

288Posts Today

1,123Users online

Martin's Twitter