Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    • 67,727Posts
    • 124,635Thanks
    torbrex
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*
    • 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* 17th Jan 16 at 10:59 AM
    The old thread can be found here.

Please use this new thread to report any good finds in the Discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
    You can also report any not so good deals as a warning to others.

The Stollen bites and other xmas food was being given away FREE in my local Lidl this morning, plenty left and they want it shifted by next week.
Page 35
    • robin58
    • By robin58 15th Sep 16, 12:04 AM
    • 1,255 Posts
    • 1,106 Thanks
    robin58
    Speaking of cereals... Aldi's cornflakes and honey nut cornflakes are fortified with vitamins (including the all important Vit D). Lidl's are not. Aldi's are as good, if not better than Kellogg's.
    Originally posted by ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    I thought that ALL cereals sold in the UK had to have a certain basic list of government recommended vitamins and minerals by law.

Am I wrong?
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 15th Sep 16, 7:20 AM
    • 773 Posts
    • 644 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    I couldn't see any info on lidl's packs.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 15th Sep 16, 9:45 AM
    • 1,810 Posts
    • 3,579 Thanks
    dlusman
    I thought that ALL cereals sold in the UK had to have a certain basic list of government recommended vitamins and minerals by law.

Am I wrong?
    Originally posted by robin58
    yes - you are wrong
    https://www.nutrition.org.uk/nutritionscience/foodfacts/fortification.html?showall=1
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 17th Sep 16, 7:29 PM
    • 5,125 Posts
    • 9,774 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    One of my friends bought the special buy digital sewing machine. She says she has seen other sewing machines of similar features for double the price.
    Rejoined Slimming World 28/7/16
    Lost 2st 2lb first time Need to lose that again
    Lost 10lb 1st 6lb to go
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 17th Sep 16, 9:47 PM
    • 4,850 Posts
    • 4,238 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    We bought a punnet of Lidl 'ripen at home' peaches a couple of days ago - six large peaches for 99p. Just had the first couple and they are beautifully juicy and very tasty.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 18th Sep 16, 11:34 AM
    • 4,974 Posts
    • 6,356 Thanks
    A. Badger
    We bought a punnet of Lidl 'ripen at home' peaches a couple of days ago - six large peaches for 99p. Just had the first couple and they are beautifully juicy and very tasty.
    Originally posted by p00hsticks
    Well that's a definite improvement on Sainsbury's! I have four bought last Saurday and they are still like bullets. So much for those who still insist that the (former) 'big names' sell better quality products.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 19th Sep 16, 2:49 PM
    • 4,850 Posts
    • 4,238 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    Well that's a definite improvement on Sainsbury's! I have four bought last Saurday and they are still like bullets. So much for those who still insist that the (former) 'big names' sell better quality products.
    Originally posted by A. Badger
    Yes, we'd bought four from Sainsbury's the week before and the LIDL ones are far nicer and better value for money
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 19th Sep 16, 3:53 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 1,103 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    I really like the lorne sausage with black pudding 'eyes', not sure if they are available nationwide but @ £1.59 for 4 slices (300g) well worth looking out for

(I was lucky today and managed to get 3 packs with 30% off so they will keep in the freezer for another day)
    Last edited by Wizard of Id; 19-09-2016 at 6:37 PM. Reason: missing f
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.

Walk 1000 miles in a year challenge - 345.4
    This week - 26.2
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 19th Sep 16, 8:54 PM
    • 19,818 Posts
    • 38,858 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Originally posted by p00hsticks
    You have to catch them at the right time though. I tend to keep them in the fridge and take them out to ripen, a few at a time. I had a couple this evening that had been left out since Thursday, and were really delicious - so that gives you an idea of the timescale for ripening. Ones that are left in the fridge for too long don't ripen at all.

Same applies to the nectarines.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Happygreen
    • By Happygreen 20th Sep 16, 1:13 PM
    • 2,252 Posts
    • 8,988 Thanks
    Happygreen
    I don't usually go for ready meals but OH bought 2 things from the (new?) Lidl Chef Select range. Chicken Jalfrezi and Garlic bread (2) . Both really nice and no nasties in the ingredients list. It is possible to make nice ready meals without poisoning your customers - cut a slice of that one, Big 4.
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi

Weight Loss thread - - 10.5 kg - 2 st. Swagbucks £55 AZ, 2nd hand sales £ 11, Cash4Clothes
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 21st Sep 16, 9:40 PM
    • 19,818 Posts
    • 38,858 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Aldi direct deliveries are surprisingly efficient.

I packed am order just before 7am yesterday, it was dispatched last night and I had a message at 10.20am this morning saying that it was on its way. Yodel delivered to a neighbour at 11am
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 22nd Sep 16, 6:47 AM
    • 773 Posts
    • 644 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday

I packed am order just before 7am yesterday, it was dispatched last night and I had a message at 10.20am this morning saying that it was on its way. Yodel delivered to a neighbour at 11am
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Theyre probably not very busy at the moment.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • robin58
    • By robin58 22nd Sep 16, 10:44 PM
    • 1,255 Posts
    • 1,106 Thanks
    robin58

Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    I read with interest until that word 'Yodel' came up.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 23rd Sep 16, 8:35 AM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 3,151 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    I read with interest until that word 'Yodel' came up.
    Originally posted by robin58

Anything I've bought online from Aldi has been delivered by Hermes.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 24th Sep 16, 6:38 PM
    • 7,446 Posts
    • 3,586 Thanks
    Stompa
    Well, after a 6 month closure for refurbishment, our Aldi has just reopened. There are 3 new tills which I guess may be useful when it gets seriously busy, and it's a bit lighter inside. Apart from that it seems pretty much the same as it always used to be. I'm distinctly underwhelmed!
    Stompa
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 24th Sep 16, 6:55 PM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 3,151 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Well, after a 6 month closure for refurbishment, our Aldi has just reopened. There are 3 new tills which I guess may be useful when it gets seriously busy, and it's a bit lighter inside. Apart from that it seems pretty much the same as it always used to be. I'm distinctly underwhelmed!
    Originally posted by Stompa
    Is that the Cambridge one?
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 24th Sep 16, 6:58 PM
    • 7,646 Posts
    • 6,880 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Aldi refurbs don't usually change very much. The main thing seems to be to update the Fruit & Veg displays.

Lidl refurbs usually involve introducing a mini In-store Bakery.
    57 channels and the Beeb ain't one.

From 1 September 2016, you need a TV Licence to watch TV via BBC iPlayer.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 24th Sep 16, 7:52 PM
    • 2,973 Posts
    • 1,766 Thanks
    glider3560
    Is that the Cambridge one?
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    I was massively disappointed when I visited Friday evening.

The car park is the same size as previously. Three times round the car park before a space became available.

Store was cluttered full of "spare" stock and empty boxes. Especially the fruit and veg section, where you couldn't stop without completely blocking the store entrance.

Product range seems to have gone down. Only two types of curry sauce stocked now. Things are in random places around the store.

Some of the price labels were wrong. I was overcharged on four products (by about 10p to 20p on each one). Considering it only opened on the previous day, I was shocked the labels were wrong.

TBH, after six months of Tesco, I'm not switching back to Aldi. Tesco have a wider product range, more parking spaces and fewer traffic problems on the local roads. I also found Tesco didn't cost much more: they sent regular £2/£3/£4 off £20/£30/£40 vouchers and had a wider range of Value products.

• Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 24th Sep 16, 8:04 PM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 3,151 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    I was massively disappointed when I visited Friday evening.

The car park is the same size as previously. Three times round the car park before a space became available.

Store was cluttered full of "spare" stock and empty boxes. Especially the fruit and veg section, where you couldn't stop without completely blocking the store entrance.

Product range seems to have gone down. Only two types of curry sauce stocked now. Things are in random places around the store.

Some of the price labels were wrong. I was overcharged on four products (by about 10p to 20p on each one). Considering it only opened on the previous day, I was shocked the labels were wrong.

TBH, after six months of Tesco, I'm not switching back to Aldi. Tesco have a wider product range, more parking spaces and fewer traffic problems on the local roads. I also found Tesco didn't cost much more: they sent regular £2/£3/£4 off £20/£30/£40 vouchers and had a wider range of Value products.
    Originally posted by glider3560

I've only visited the Cambridge store once, a few years ago whilst visiting a friend, and was sorely disappointed. You're right about the car park, it's virtually non-existent considering that's the only store in Cambridge.

There are better Aldi stores further afield if you don't mind travelling a little. I would never go back to Tesco, ever.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 24th Sep 16, 8:07 PM
    • 2,973 Posts
    • 1,766 Thanks
    glider3560
    There are better Aldi stores further afield if you don't mind travelling a little. I would never go back to Tesco, ever.
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    For my small amount of shopping each week, it is hardly worth travelling to Ely or Chatteris. Occassionally, I'll pop into the local store of my parents when I'm back down south. That's quite a spacious store in an out of town retail park. Complete contrast to the Cambridge store!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,092Posts Today

6,612Users online

Martin's Twitter