Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    • 67,657Posts
    • 124,659Thanks
    torbrex
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*
    • 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* 17th Jan 16 at 10:59 AM
    The old thread can be found here.

Please use this new thread to report any good finds in the Discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
    You can also report any not so good deals as a warning to others.

The Stollen bites and other xmas food was being given away FREE in my local Lidl this morning, plenty left and they want it shifted by next week.
Page 105
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 7th Jan 18, 11:33 AM
    • 2,783 Posts
    • 10,847 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Stollen bites in Lidl this morning, half price @ 99p.

(why can't I say Stollen without puting on a Sean Connery voice?)
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 77.6
    Total so far - 142.6
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 7th Jan 18, 9:00 PM
    • 24,469 Posts
    • 51,752 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Stollen bites in Lidl this morning, half price @ 99p.

(why can't I say Stollen without puting on a Sean Connery voice?)
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    Same as last week, not much stock left.

The mass reductions phenomenon seems to be one of yesteryear.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 8th Jan 18, 7:35 PM
    • 24,469 Posts
    • 51,752 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Lidl's Milbona yoghurt (apricot, mango and passionfruit etc) don't taste of anything much. Avoid.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 8th Jan 18, 7:57 PM
    • 7,142 Posts
    • 3,430 Thanks
    buglawton
    Aldi fresh grapefruits today: Big, juicy and pipless.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 8th Jan 18, 9:15 PM
    • 9,650 Posts
    • 9,310 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Waiting for the return of Falafel in my Aldi (which were removed to make way for Christmas stuff).

The shelf-edge label was back today, but no Falafel, yet.

Intriguingly, another empty bay next to it marked: Vegeburgers.

Also, Lidl Lentil Curls have a new recipe and slightly more compact packaging. The new curls are lighter in texture and not as hard. The individual bags are smaller (by some way), but the weight is the same. It'll be interesting to see if Aldi Lentil Curls go the same way.

If anyone wants to try the Gullon Sugar-free Biscuits that have been discussed in this sub-forum before, they are available as a special buy in Aldi, again, as they have been for the past few Januaries.

Last edited by Cornucopia; 08-01-2018 at 9:22 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 8th Jan 18, 11:07 PM
    • 4,644 Posts
    • 46,066 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    My Aldi had lots of half-price biscuits, puddings, crackers (edible), and cakes. Unfortunately nothing with a 2019 UBD that I could see. I still indulged, as I missed getting the chocolate Florentines at Christmas.
    99p for the Almond and Nut Cluster ones. V. nice.
    There are reductions on the festive frozen stuff, but they aren't huge, typically £2 off a £10 item. I wonder if they will reduce some more?
    Some interesting new chilled and frozen bits, and some old favourites like cooked chicken wings returning as 'new'.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • spirit
    • By spirit 9th Jan 18, 6:19 AM
    • 2,669 Posts
    • 6,008 Thanks
    spirit
    Thanks Cornicopia. I love those sugar free biscuits. The last lot I found in the garden centre of all places!
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee.
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 9th Jan 18, 6:31 AM
    • 3,752 Posts
    • 23,568 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    Thanks Cornicopia. I love those sugar free biscuits. The last lot I found in the garden centre of all places!
    Originally posted by spirit
    I get them in Poundland.
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 9th Jan 18, 9:13 AM
    • 9,650 Posts
    • 9,310 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Originally posted by spirit
    Yes, the supply chain does seem a bit random, for some reason.

At the moment, apart from Aldi, and Poundland as mentioned by TravellingAbuela, I've also seen them in Home Bargains, Poundworld and Iceland.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th Jan 18, 4:39 PM
    • 24,469 Posts
    • 51,752 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Has anyone used the Silvercrest handheld steamer from Lidl? Is it recommended? I need something small as I'll be using it on fabrics only, not to clean floors etc. At £10 its reasonable and easy to store. I don't want to spend a lot of money on something I'm not going to use that much.

• ladybabe
    • By ladybabe 9th Jan 18, 4:40 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 415 Thanks
    ladybabe
    not sure if its just my aldi branch but in freezer section frozen sardines with lemon and herb butter (you get about 4-5 ish per pack) was £1.99 now at £0.99 great for a quick meal
    There are people so poor that the only thing they have is money
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 9th Jan 18, 7:06 PM
    • 4,644 Posts
    • 46,066 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    not sure if its just my aldi branch but in freezer section frozen sardines with lemon and herb butter (you get about 4-5 ish per pack) was £1.99 now at £0.99 great for a quick meal
    Originally posted by ladybabe
    I just came on here to mention these! It's not just your branch. They really are amazng value, and come in their own foil tray too. They taste great. They are gutted, and the heads, tails and bones remove easily after cooking.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 10th Jan 18, 7:02 AM
    • 7,485 Posts
    • 13,778 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Went to Aldi yesterday to pick up a few things. Kir Royale flavoured crisps? Love the drink, but those crisps sound disgusting.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Jan 18, 9:09 AM
    • 24,469 Posts
    • 51,752 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Went to Aldi yesterday to pick up a few things. Kir Royale flavoured crisps? Love the drink, but those crisps sound disgusting.
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    Based on my experience of Aldi's G&T crips last year, best avoided.

• Judi
    • By Judi 10th Jan 18, 12:52 PM
    • 15,618 Posts
    • 65,397 Thanks
    Judi
    Lidl nappies... not a patch on Aldis and the same for baby wipes. Shant be buying them again.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 10th Jan 18, 4:58 PM
    • 2,759 Posts
    • 4,304 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    Have you tried them?
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 10th Jan 18, 5:25 PM
    • 10,327 Posts
    • 26,315 Thanks
    suki1964
    Good to see lidls cola do so well on the taste test on tv last night. I love it and at 49p for 2 litres, a bargain
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 11th Jan 18, 10:10 AM
    • 2,759 Posts
    • 4,304 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Disappointed to see in this month's sales brochure for Aldi they've got Richmond "sausages" listed in the specials. Yuk!
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 11th Jan 18, 12:01 PM
    • 7,485 Posts
    • 13,778 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Disappointed to see in this month's sales brochure for Aldi they've got Richmond "sausages" listed in the specials. Yuk!
    Originally posted by Feral Moon

I have no idea why people rave about these and buy them when on offer! They have the lowest amount of meat content to be classed as a pork sausage - 42%. So means 58% is rubbish.

Using Aldi's SS Traditional Pork Sausages - £1.89 for 400g (£4.73 per kg). I cannot see from the front of the pack how much meat content is in them. Using 90% as an easy example. So 360g is meat. That is £5.25 per kg of meat.

Richmond sausages - 908g for £1.99 (£2.19 per kg) - 42% meat, £5.22 kg of meat.

Though 2.16 times more expensive per kg the SS sausages meat kg is only over 0.5% more.

Sometimes Richmond sausages are more expensive per meat kg than the premium sausages!!!.

Similar applies to burgers as well.

Quality over quantity any day.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th Jan 18, 12:03 PM
    • 24,469 Posts
    • 51,752 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    The XXL pasta looks good though.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,954Posts Today

8,382Users online

Martin's Twitter