Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    • 67,657Posts
    • 124,659Thanks
    torbrex
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*
    • 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* 17th Jan 16 at 10:59 AM
    The old thread can be found here.

Please use this new thread to report any good finds in the Discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
    You can also report any not so good deals as a warning to others.

The Stollen bites and other xmas food was being given away FREE in my local Lidl this morning, plenty left and they want it shifted by next week.
Page 101
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 7th Dec 17, 7:12 AM
    • 6,418 Posts
    • 19,310 Thanks
    Doc N
    I see the Lidl stollen's (https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Offers.htm?articleId=8256) half price this weekend.

I've found the Aldi and Lidl stollens variable in the past - cheap but not necessarily very good.

Anybody got any thoughts on these Lidl Favorina ones?
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 7th Dec 17, 7:32 AM
    • 24,213 Posts
    • 50,924 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I’ve always liked Lidl’s marzipan stollen, even though it’s succumbed to shrinkflation and I end up scraping the excess icing sugar off. Best time to buy is after Christmas when the price tumbles
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 8th Dec 17, 5:59 AM
    • 6,293 Posts
    • 3,993 Thanks
    Ken68
    On mysupermarket...Lidl shows Knorrs stock pots offer at 99p......Sainsbury shows 75p for the same.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 8th Dec 17, 10:05 AM
    • 9,522 Posts
    • 9,112 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    On mysupermarket...Lidl shows Knorrs stock pots offer at 99p......Sainsbury shows 75p for the same.
    Originally posted by Ken68
    It's worth repeating the long-term advice on this thread, since we've not covered it for a while...

Lidl and Aldi are not usually competitive for name-brand products.

In fact, I think there is some anecdotal evidence that they use non-competitive pricing on branded goods to subsidise their overall discounted approach.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 8th Dec 17, 4:27 PM
    • 7,415 Posts
    • 13,617 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Originally posted by Ken68
    Offer finishes Tuesday 12th
    • maman
    • By maman 8th Dec 17, 6:11 PM
    • 17,162 Posts
    • 102,609 Thanks
    maman
    DH tried one of the Specially Selected stollens in Aldi (with almond flakes) but said he prefers the normal ones.

Mostly I buy him Aldi's stollen bites as they're less messy to eat/cut than the loaves and it does help to limit intake!
    • Incredible 1
    • By Incredible 1 8th Dec 17, 6:14 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Incredible 1
    DH tried one of the Specially Selected stollens in Aldi (with almond flakes) but said he prefers the normal ones.

Mostly I buy him Aldi's stollen bites as they're less messy to eat/cut than the loaves and it does help to limit intake!
    Originally posted by maman
    Try the Lidl ones as IMHO they're better.
    Dunno how you get that buying stollen bites limits intake though; how anyone can leave any in the pack is beyond me!
    • quoia
    • By quoia 9th Dec 17, 12:14 AM
    • 13,454 Posts
    • 141,305 Thanks
    quoia
    Aldi are selling boxes of ten ice cream bites for 99p. I've tried two flavours, marc de champagne and strawberry, both are gorgeous. A really lovely little treat. Sorry, can't find on website to link to, in spite of typing name exactly as it is on the packaging. They are like A box of chocs, but with ice cream centres. Yummm
    Originally posted by vivatifosi
    Down to 75p in my nearest
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S ω6.59 so far ..
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 9th Dec 17, 9:10 PM
    • 11,649 Posts
    • 8,782 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Decent price for butter at Lidl
    Butter seems to have risen a lot recently. Thought this was OK in Lidl today:

200g (small block, I know) Wykes Farm butter 79p
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th Dec 17, 10:35 PM
    • 24,213 Posts
    • 50,924 Thanks
    VfM4meplse

Originally posted by maman
    For me this works only if the intake is limited to the pack, ie 350g rather than 500g

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 10th Dec 17, 5:32 PM
    • 4,603 Posts
    • 45,266 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    At the risk of boring people, I've been on the coffee capsule hunt again at Aldi. They currently have 60 Nespresso compatible Festive Flavour capsules (cardamom, spiced, gingerbread) for £10.14.
    All are gorgeous, and the cardamom seems especially nice, as I didn't expect it to be.
    I got mine on free delivery, arrived via Hermes two days after they went on sale.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Dec 17, 5:38 PM
    • 24,213 Posts
    • 50,924 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    At the risk of boring people, I've been on the coffee capsule hunt again at Aldi. They currently have 60 Nespresso compatible Festive Flavour capsules (cardamom, spiced, gingerbread) for £10.14.
    All are gorgeous, and the cardamom seems especially nice, as I didn't expect it to be.
    I got mine on free delivery, arrived via Hermes two days after they went on sale.
    Originally posted by mcculloch29
    Cardamom coffee is delicious served strong, super-hot and with plenty of milk - a very South Indian thing. I always save my cardamom shells with the intention of infusing but never quite get round to it.

• Make-it-3
    • By Make-it-3 10th Dec 17, 10:38 PM
    • 1,549 Posts
    • 7,037 Thanks
    Make-it-3
    Haven't been able to get the standard (cheapest) Cien shower gel for months now, the next level up the original source knock offs are almost double the price. I wonder if they will return? Stock was always sporadic.

Did try the limited edition one instead - the purple San Fransico was very nice - but that is long gone now too. The XXL bottles sometimes appear but the scents are very weak to non existent.

The other day OH was sent out for emergency cheddar and came back with Cathedral - have been using Lidl's mature for a few years now and suddenly realised how little punch it pulls in comparison.

Has anyone else realised something they are missing by exclusively purchasing Lidl/Aldi????
    We Made-it-3 on 28/01/11 with birth of our gorgeous DD.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 10th Dec 17, 10:42 PM
    • 6,418 Posts
    • 19,310 Thanks
    Doc N
    The other day OH was sent out for emergency cheddar and came back with Cathedral - have been using Lidl's mature for a few years now and suddenly realised how little punch it pulls in comparison.

Has anyone else realised something they are missing by exclusively purchasing Lidl/Aldi????
    Originally posted by Make-it-3
    I'd agree with you about the cheddar cheeses they both sell - used to be well up to the standard of anything else on the market in terms of bite and flavour, but even the extra mature and vintage ones now fall well short of the mark.

Once you've tried a decent non-supermarket cheddar, though, it's difficult to return to any of the supermarket ones, branded or own-label.
    • Make-it-3
    • By Make-it-3 11th Dec 17, 10:29 AM
    • 1,549 Posts
    • 7,037 Thanks
    Make-it-3
    Something has changed, the extra mature one used to be quite crumbly which can be annoying when you want slices, but the consistency of that is now the same as the others.

Doc N, I think you are right good cheddar is worth looking elsewhere for.
    We Made-it-3 on 28/01/11 with birth of our gorgeous DD.
    • artyclarty
    • By artyclarty 11th Dec 17, 11:35 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    artyclarty
    Cheese is one of the few branded things that myself and the o/h insist on getting. I have a choice of Lidl, Co-op and Tesco within walking distance and between the co-op and tesco there is always branded cheese on for about the £2-2.50 mark. If not, I just get the cheapo full flavour grated cheese from lidl.

The other thing he insists on is Branston Beans - harder and harder to find at the £1-1.25 mark (but thats a topic for another day!)
    • Miró
    • By Miró 11th Dec 17, 11:37 AM
    • 5,516 Posts
    • 23,181 Thanks
    Miró
    I'd agree with you about the cheddar cheeses they both sell - used to be well up to the standard of anything else on the market in terms of bite and flavour, but even the extra mature and vintage ones now fall well short of the mark.

Once you've tried a decent non-supermarket cheddar, though, it's difficult to return to any of the supermarket ones, branded or own-label.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    I've been buying Aldi's West Country Crunchy 25 month aged Cheddar for the last couple of years and thought it was quite good....but, after listening to a fascinating prog on R4 about Quicke's cloth-bound cheddar I decided to try that for a change. Wow! What a difference...it is gorgeous. Mind you it is expensive, (£15.50 per kilo in Waitrose as opposed to £2.29 for 250g of the Aldi cheese)
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 11th Dec 17, 1:20 PM
    • 2,748 Posts
    • 4,030 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    When it comes to cheese, I don't mind buying the cheaper Aldi extra mature ones for general use - toasties, grating over dishes etc - but i spend a bit more, as above, if eating with biscuits and fruit.

As for mild cheddar - waste of space! If you don't like a good strong cheddar than buy a different cheese lol
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th Dec 17, 2:50 PM
    • 24,213 Posts
    • 50,924 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Haven't been able to get the standard (cheapest) Cien shower gel for months now, the next level up the original source knock offs are almost double the price. I wonder if they will return? Stock was always sporadic.

Did try the limited edition one instead - the purple San Fransico was very nice - but that is long gone now too. The XXL bottles sometimes appear but the scents are very weak to non existent.
    Originally posted by Make-it-3
    I saw some in stock in my local on Saturday so keep looking. Its the pink one - no doubt some flowery scent - and seems fine to me.

• maman
    • By maman 11th Dec 17, 3:59 PM
    • 17,162 Posts
    • 102,609 Thanks
    maman
    The other thing he insists on is Branston Beans - harder and harder to find at the £1-1.25 mark (but thats a topic for another day!)
    Originally posted by artyclarty

As you brought it up: I can still get Branston beans at around the 3 for £1 in Home Bargains or Farmfoods. the latter tends to be the best value (trays of 6) so I stock up with them as I don't go there very often these days.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

213Posts Today

1,580Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin