Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

torbrex
torbrex Posts: 71,340
Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
Forumite
The old thread can be found here.

Please use this new thread to report any good finds in the Discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
You can also report any not so good deals as a warning to others.

The Stollen bites and other xmas food was being given away FREE in my local Lidl this morning, plenty left and they want it shifted by next week.

Comments

• candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'm heeeeeeere :j
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • tronator
    tronator Posts: 2,857
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I doubt that putting "Do NOT Expire" in the thread title will prevent it from happening. I guess in 99% of cases it's because of the Expire button being in the position where the Reply button usually is.

ivixhz.jpg

9pq1oi.jpg

A simple swap of the buttons and maybe a different color would help a lot. I'm amazed that a webdesigner or admin can't spot such basic things...
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,139
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 17 January 2016 at 12:48PM
    Lidl have just introduced Multigrain Snacks (basically the same as Walker's Sunbites).

These are 79p for 6 packs - which is 20p cheaper than Aldi (unusually, and for the time being, I suspect).

The Sour Cream & Black Pepper flavour I found a bit underpowered, but the Sweet Chilli flavour is excellent.

Back the other way:-

Aldi Spinach Wraps - special purchase - delicious wraps with a light green tinge from the spinach. Slightly herby/spicy flavour to them.

Aldi Minestrone Instant Soup - been waiting to try this as it's been out of stock for a while. It's soooo much better than the Lidl equivalent. Nice flavour, veggies, mini pasta and croutons. Not the healthiest snack, but still less salt than most tinned soups.
  • quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,428
    Forumite
    tronator wrote: »
    I doubt that putting "Do NOT Expire" in the thread title will prevent it from happening. I guess in 99% of cases it's because of the Expire button being in the position where the Reply button usually is.

ivixhz.jpg

9pq1oi.jpg

A simple swap of the buttons and maybe a different color would help a lot. I'm amazed that a webdesigner or admin can't spot such basic things...

I can't think that I've EVER even attempted to use that particular REPLY button, always using the one at the BOTTOM of the page where the "Quick Reply" box is displayed.
    Maybe part of this is because of the way I view the the threads on MSE. Invariably I access any thread by clicking on the little firstnew.gif button (that indicates it has posts I haven't seen) which takes me to the exact point in the thread where it has been added to since I last visited - i.e. the first NEW post that I have yet to read, where I then continue to the end.

I know that some members have it set up to display them "back to front" which seemed totally pointless and so "cumbersome" when I tried it

HOWEVER, to be honest I think it's as much DELIBERATE as opposed to accidentally clicking the wrong button.

Not because of the regular thread visitors and posters here (who "KNOW" where they are going) but those clicking on the thread title and ending up at POST #1 .......

.... where they find ....

Good and bad buys from Aldi and Lidl

Muzikmaster 19-01-2012, 8:32 PM

... a thread (well post anyway) that is 4 years old.

Seeing this must surely tempt some to EXPIRE it.
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    So someone has managed to expire the new one....maybe one of the mods can show us how to "UNexpire" a thread?
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • redfox
    redfox Posts: 15,338
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Happygreen wrote: »
    So someone has managed to expire the new one....maybe one of the mods can show us how to "UNexpire" a thread?

this hasn't been expired, it's still here on the correct board.

There is no way to un-expire a thread on this particular forum software to my knowledge.

Let's get back to the topic of Aldi and Lidl good and bad buys now :)
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    We always buy the packs of peach flavoured water for daughter from Aldi.

Bought 3 packs of 4 yesterday but going to have to take them all back as when she tasted one it had a strange 'chemical' taste to it.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,139
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I don't like the Peach flavoured water. The Strawberry is nice, though. The Lemon & Lime is refreshing in the summer, but otherwise too bitter for me.

Just had Lidl Smoked Salmon Fillet for my lunch. Delicious - though not 100% sure if it's worth the normal price of £1.99.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    quoia wrote: »
    Seeing this must surely tempt some to EXPIRE it.
    I don't know about that, but as soon as I see the bold and weird choice of font colour you use I am tempted to skip the post entirely.

I was happy with the old thread btw.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Forumite
    I popped into "L" the other day and saw they had cheese topped rolls. I was always partial to those so grabbed a pack.

Not too shabby at all. Already eaten all FOUR :) Waistline will be taking a hammering in the coming weeks until I "get over it" as I'm sure that a pack of four MUST be 1000(+) calories!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure