Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    • 2,178Posts
    • 10,123Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Dancing in the Rain
    • 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    Dancing in the Rain 14th Jan 16 at 5:50 PM
    Four years ago I was transitioning from freelance creative work to being an employee. I had rising debts because my outgoings exceeded my rubbish freelance income and I couldn't find a job. My home had repairs I couldn’t do. I felt as if my life was in a downwards spiral.

There have been/will be changes good and not so good and these changes have prompted my new diary.

GOOD CHANGES:

I’ve made some progress on emergency repairs and now have a wonderful new boiler (so I am warm!)

I work for a brilliant charity and have done for the last 3.5 years. I know I could earn more, but I enjoy my work, I do something worthwhile and it fits in with other things I want to achieve that are equally important to me. They are now agreeing (from March 2016) to me working full time with 2 days working from home. This is a work balance that will allow me to be creative, and improve my income so I can achieve my 2016 goals

This is the year I become mortgage free.

NOT SO GOOD CHANGES:

My debt has increased from £12,000 to £24,822

After much thought I have realised what my priorities should be for 2016. I want a dog and a small car and a trip to New York but those are WANTS that I can’t have, at least not this year…

I have set goals for 2016 and these goals work towards my overall plan for 2020. Each year there will be an overarching priority and 2016 my priority is HOUSE. I have a schedule of works from which I will set house goals

House, decluttering,creativity, social, house, health, finances, nurturing, environment, organisation and future self

I will also do a weekly, how I saved money this week update on Fridays

I sound frighteningly organised don’t I? This is me getting serious…but I have a real problem dealing with workmen and having them in them in my home!!!! so I'm also bit of a coward-custard deep down too

This isn’t always going to be fun, I get that. But no more putting my head down and waiting for the storm to pass. As often as I can I will get out there and dance in the rain!

Come and support me when you can
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 27-11-2017 at 9:52 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/November 2017=3,500
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Page 99
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 27th Nov 17, 7:13 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 10,123 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Chicken or egg?
    I cannot decide if the house turns into a tip and I start eating rubbish because my mood shifts downwards or if my mood shifts downwards and then the other stuff follows? Either way the result is the same and so is the solution. I have this evening begun tackling the piles and piles of dishes. One draining board full washed and waiting packing away…

Yesterday I was terrible, nothing achieved at all. Sloth like all day. Ate RUBBISH and did not make it to yoga.

I caught my reflection today and was not pleased. I did my eyebrows for £4, so slightly improved but wearing a jacket I previously put in the CS bag and took out again. I need to smarten up. Will be doing 1 thing a day (at least) to improve...

I am aiming for 2 days a week NSDs. These will be on exercise daysuesday and Wednesday

Today, still feeling sluggish but I had commitments so I got on with it. I can’t let other people down, although I have no problem letting myself down it seems… My private class was lovely. So far I’ve never not enjoyed teaching it

YS goodies picked up. I put back YS bargains that even when they were reduced did not seem to me to represent good value for money. Instead I thought about lunches for work as this is where I fall down. I have started to spend £10 a day on lunch and coffee twice a week. Insane! £80 a month! It is just disorganisation. I am on a tight budget due to my debt overpayment so overspending on lunches STOPS HERE.

I hope your week got off to a good start
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 27-11-2017 at 7:29 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 27th Nov 17, 8:32 PM
    • 48,994 Posts
    • 181,803 Thanks
    beanielou
    Dont be so hard on yourself.
    We are all our own biggest critics sadly.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 27th Nov 17, 9:05 PM
    • 612 Posts
    • 3,450 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I agree with beanie.

Could you set yourself half the budget and see how much nicer a lunch you could come up with?
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 27th Nov 17, 9:19 PM
    • 48,994 Posts
    • 181,803 Thanks
    beanielou
    I agree with beanie.

Could you set yourself half the budget and see how much nicer a lunch you could come up with?
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Great idea

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 27th Nov 17, 9:30 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 10,123 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thanks for the perspective Beanie and Redo. I can be a bit all or nothing. It is partly how I managed to repay so much debt so quickly but you are right I can be too hard on myself.

So, I prefer my own lunches anyway but I don't always either have what I need or have time in the mornings. So, I will pack a lunch at night and I will allow myself £4 a day instead of £10 as it is the coffee and a sweet treat that I enjoy not the food.

Thanks for helping me work it out
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 27th Nov 17, 9:34 PM
    • 612 Posts
    • 3,450 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Sun addict was saying on my diary about the coffee bags that she likes, could you find something similar? I used to have little all in one filters that went on top of the cup that I liked. Made it an event rather than a cup of nasty instant at work iyswim.

What sort of sweet treats? I can corrupt you on ideas for that subject with pleasure and enthusiasm.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 27th Nov 17, 9:41 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 10,123 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thanks Redo I can't buy an oven until I am DF so although I like baking my own treats I tend to get a chocolate brownie from Le0n (£2) and a small coffee (£2) I like to escape from the office so my local to work Ner0 helps me chill.

I don't mind my coffee spend as I enjoy it. I don't enjoy spending money on rubbish food because I am hungry and I haven't brought anything to work

I know your sweet treats are a cut above. I am sometimes afraid to visit your diary when I am craving sweet things in the evening
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 27-11-2017 at 9:51 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 27th Nov 17, 10:05 PM
    • 3,260 Posts
    • 8,372 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    That sounds like a plan. Btw, I know for me worrying about my spends can be one of the things that tips my mood so I really think allowing yourself leeway helps. Keeping your coffee and brownie as sanity savers and making lunch as a moneysaver sounds like the way to go

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... MFW progress 2.3%

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 27th Nov 17, 10:16 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 10,123 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thanks Rosa I really enjoy the coffee and brownie so they are keepers
    Its a constant battle isn't it and like you once I am debt free I want to stay that way. Spending on what makes me happy is good. Spending on nonsense because I am disorganised and stressed? Not so good...

This week i am determined to crack it
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 28th Nov 17, 4:14 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 10,123 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    a red eye
    I slept through to 8 this morning and feel much less sluggish. I have a beautiful cold sore and a red eye, so I have decided I was not being lazy these past few days. I was run down as I would not have a cold sore and one red eye otherwise! Going to be easier on myself in future…(until I forget to…)

Anyway a WFH and feeling productive for the first time in several days…

Tasks completed
    Bed made
    Bedroom floor swept
    Dried up and packed away dishes X 6
    Washed up a drain-load full of dishes X 5
    Cleaned kitchen sides and cooker hob
    Swept kitchen floor
    Decluttered and cleaned dining room table and stuff dumped on chairs!
    Emptied bins and recycling into outside bins
    Bleached and washed all kitchen cloths
    Tea towels rinsed and outside to air
    Toilet cleaned

Organisation
    Cashmere frozen
    Prepped parcel return to B0den ready for post office
    Repurposed a rug
    Electric blanket set up (I know, old school )
    Bedside table cleaned and set up so my water carafe is not on the floor anymore!

Nice things
    Got some YS coconut yoghurt reduced from £3 to 60p yesterday. Made a tahini, yoghurt and garlic sauce. Came out lovely
    Burning orange and eucalyptus today. More lovely
    A nice YS lunch (shepherds pie 55p and courgetti spirals 35p)
    NSD

This evening
    I’ve been active today and work has been okay too, so I will be relaxing this evening. The gym can wait until tomorrow when hopefully I will have even more energy so it won’t feel off putting. I might even walk there and back and just do the power shower. 50 minutes of fast walking is still exercise. I will see how I feel

I hope you have had a good day too
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 28-11-2017 at 4:17 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • fay66
    • By fay66 28th Nov 17, 4:36 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    fay66
    Great read.x
    Inland revenue £4500=
    Loan £2610
    Pay day loans - 135+600+300+300
    Credit card 1 - 5186
    CC2 -1038
    CC3 - 548 cc4 234
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 28th Nov 17, 7:03 PM
    • 48,994 Posts
    • 181,803 Thanks
    beanielou
    You have been a busy busy bee.
    Look after yourself

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 28th Nov 17, 9:54 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 4,517 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    WFH suits you , you have been very busy.

As you say we are all to hard on ourselves sometimes.
    Nov 2017 CC1 £3329 CC2 £600

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 29th Nov 17, 8:24 AM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 10,123 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    the big shop arrives
    Morning Campers,

I booked my food delivery today so I could use the time before work well. It was my alarm! Everything packed away now…
    I’ve noticed it is harder to get good offers (although I have) I also notice everything is getting smaller. All my beans and pulses used to be 420 grams and are now 400 grams

I got in heavy, bulky things and household supplies, but no protein for meals as I find it relatively easy to get this as YS. I struggle to get YS veg so I am ordering my veggies at least once a month as organic veggies or even non organic are harder to get YS. Fruit I can pay full price unless I get a YS windfall but I am more concerned about eating enough veggies.

I am WFH today. It is cold so my heating is on. It will go off at 9.00 and I will make do with a hot water bottle, a lap blanket, fingerless gloves and a tiny heater in the room. WFH agrees with me like Cumbria Lass says, so I think it is worth it. Next week is a whole WFH week

Back later to report on my achievements (she says full of early morning optimism)

Stay warm everyone
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 29th Nov 17, 12:13 PM
    • 612 Posts
    • 3,450 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I'm WFH for a few hours too, also freezing. Full thermals, fingerless gloves and a blanket over my lap. I look a bag lady and I am still cold. Useless cats refuse to sit on me.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 29th Nov 17, 12:28 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 10,123 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Yup Redo I'm looking like a bag lady and still cold too.
    I'm going to up my game and buy thermals this week. I saw some cheap ones in Primarni and sneered at them. Not sneering now

I don't have cats to sit on me..
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 29th Nov 17, 12:41 PM
    • 612 Posts
    • 3,450 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I don't care what they look like as long as i am warm. Mine are old lady ones, nice and thin and perfect for the job at about £2 each. I have some 'quality' ones as well, from go outdoors at about £10 which do the same job and would be less embarrassing in the event of a road accident/ambulance scenario Mind you I would be less miffed about having the £2 ones cut off me...
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 29th Nov 17, 12:56 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 10,123 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Haha. I'm going for the cheap ones. Less likely to have a road accident and more likely to die of hypothermia so shame won't be an issue. So cold and only November! I can WFH next week all week but if it is this cold I might go in!

I hope the cats oblige you soon
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 29th Nov 17, 6:32 PM
    • 48,994 Posts
    • 181,803 Thanks
    beanielou
    TBH I bought the primari ones last year & they were not the best.
    So now I just use an old top/tshirt as an extra layer.

Hope your day went well.

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 29th Nov 17, 6:42 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 10,123 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    It's my legs really beanie. I like the thin long-john type thermals And I wonder why I am single

I would be fine with some 80s style leg warmers
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,986Posts Today

10,224Users online

Martin's Twitter