Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    • 1,996Posts
    • 9,137Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Dancing in the Rain
    • 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    Dancing in the Rain 14th Jan 16 at 5:50 PM
    Four years ago I was transitioning from freelance creative work to being an employee. I had rising debts because my outgoings exceeded my rubbish freelance income and I couldn't find a job. My home had repairs I couldn’t do. I felt as if my life was in a downwards spiral.

There have been/will be changes good and not so good and these changes have prompted my new diary.

GOOD CHANGES:

I’ve made some progress on emergency repairs and now have a wonderful new boiler (so I am warm!)

I work for a brilliant charity and have done for the last 3.5 years. I know I could earn more, but I enjoy my work, I do something worthwhile and it fits in with other things I want to achieve that are equally important to me. They are now agreeing (from March 2016) to me working full time with 2 days working from home. This is a work balance that will allow me to be creative, and improve my income so I can achieve my 2016 goals

This is the year I become mortgage free.

NOT SO GOOD CHANGES:

My debt has increased from £12,000 to £24,822

After much thought I have realised what my priorities should be for 2016. I want a dog and a small car and a trip to New York but those are WANTS that I can’t have, at least not this year…

I have set goals for 2016 and these goals work towards my overall plan for 2020. Each year there will be an overarching priority and 2016 my priority is HOUSE. I have a schedule of works from which I will set house goals

House, decluttering,creativity, social, house, health, finances, nurturing, environment, organisation and future self

I will also do a weekly, how I saved money this week update on Fridays

I sound frighteningly organised don’t I? This is me getting serious…but I have a real problem dealing with workmen and having them in them in my home!!!! so I'm also bit of a coward-custard deep down too

This isn’t always going to be fun, I get that. But no more putting my head down and waiting for the storm to pass. As often as I can I will get out there and dance in the rain!

Come and support me when you can
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 11-10-2017 at 8:35 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/September 2017=5,250
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Page 91
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 12th Oct 17, 10:21 AM
    • 1,234 Posts
    • 3,931 Thanks
    JoJoC
    DIA - just wanted to stop by and offer my support.

I'm sorry that life seems to be getting on top of you Perhaps make a list of all the things you want to achieve in the short term (day to day stuff), prioritise them and figure out when you can fit them in and at least there'll be a plan in place which might lift some of the stress?

Do you have any annual leave to take? Would taking a day to get stuff together help you to clear the backlog?

I'm saying all these things to you, but I'm feeling distinctly backlogged today too (ironing DS1's school uniform for tomorrow has been put off for three days, nothing is out for dinner and time is tight tonight because husband is working late, i have a cold, i got the washing up to date yesterday but the basket is full again already, work is so busy right now and i'm burying my head a bit...).

Not moaning, but just want to let you know that you're not alone.
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3704.32 £100.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4927.48 £100.05 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £13,932.24 (£1067.76 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £22,564.04 | Total debt paid: £1,268.01 (5.3%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Oct 17, 1:23 PM
    • 47,812 Posts
    • 173,580 Thanks
    beanielou
    I do think the time of year has a lot to do with it.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th Oct 17, 9:27 PM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 9,137 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I hope you feel better after a nights sleep DIA. Try to take time to look after yourself. The house will be sorted eventually. I know it's hard.
    're the PPI on mortgages , mine wasn't called ppi it was something else. No mention of the word ppi.
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    Thanks parsniphead. Mine showed no separate payment except interest. Was that the same with yours?
    DIA I just started 4 day week in April I work 7.30 till 5 , then go to the gym on my way home at least 3 nights . This do tire me out but my work in the day is maybe not as stressful as yours. You have to do what is right for you though.
    I recently checked PPI on my old mortgage and was advised I did have it , news to me it was anyway my claim is progressing.
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    Thanks Cumbria. A long day with my client group may well be too much maybe but it has been agreed I can do a 4 day fortnight and if that is not working they will also consider a 4 day week. I hope yours goes well Was your PPI separately named or imbedded in your mortgage payment may I ask?

DIA - just wanted to stop by and offer my support.
    I'm sorry that life seems to be getting on top of you Perhaps make a list of all the things you want to achieve in the short term (day to day stuff), prioritise them and figure out when you can fit them in and at least there'll be a plan in place which might lift some of the stress?

Do you have any annual leave to take? Would taking a day to get stuff together help you to clear the backlog?

just want to let you know that you're not alone.
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    Thanks for your support JoJo. Redo made a similar suggestion about breaking the tasks I need to do and I plan to do so. Thanks Redo I booked a day off today for Tuesday to get on top of the backlog. I will plan and prioritise to use this day well. The week is coming to an end on Saturday so feeling I can hold on now. I seem to slowly head towards crash on a regular basis. I feel such a wimp sometimes
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 12-10-2017 at 9:33 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th Oct 17, 9:29 PM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 9,137 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I do think the time of year has a lot to do with it.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks beanielou, I think darker days don't help. I keep urging myself to get a grip but it isn't working As you suggested I am booked in for blood tests on Monday
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th Oct 17, 9:44 PM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 9,137 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Drawing a line under it all
    Thanks for being kind everyone.
    I'm not sure why I seem to crash and burn out so often but I had a migraine today. I can see this is a pattern. Maybe the 9 day fortnight will stop this pattern. I hope so.

It was the meal with work colleagues today. As I expected it was expensive. I could not drink due to having a migraine all day. I ate about £20 worth including tip. I paid £40. I will accept this and move on as that is what happens on work dos and you have to do it periodically. I see it as a 'get out of jail' card for the Christmas party as I won't be doing this again for a very long time.

This is the end of the spending for October as it is the end of the money I have remaining. It is okay.

In other news I booked a day off to catch up on jobs. I did this before but did not use the day and look where it got me. I won't make the same mistake again. I won't.

Like Redo says i will draw a line under it all and start again tomorrow.

I hope you are all well out there
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Oct 17, 9:45 PM
    • 47,812 Posts
    • 173,580 Thanks
    beanielou
    Thanks beanielou, I think darker days don't help. I keep urging myself to get a grip but it isn't working As you suggested I am booked in for blood tests on Monday
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Mine are the week after next.
    Take care of you.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 12th Oct 17, 10:29 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 2,396 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Hi DIA hope today has been better . PPI payment must have been embedded in mortgage payment as I certainly didn’t know I had it . Still annoyed about it , because I wish I had noticed it. Anyway if I get anything back will be a bonus .
    Oct 2017 CC1 £3439CC 2 £927

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th Oct 17, 10:34 PM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 9,137 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thanks beanielou and Cumbria lass. I am feeling better this evening thank goodness
    I think I will now put in PPI on all my old mortgages 'just in case' I had assumed if it didn't show on the statement it isn't there but this does not seem to be true.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 12th Oct 17, 10:41 PM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 14,086 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Oh DIA. I'm glad you're feeling better, migraines are so awful. I can't believe you went to work with it. I hope it won't be too long until your settled into your new work pattern.

Works Christmas parties. Something I swerve at all cost.
    My August to Christmas challenge:.
    Pay off £2500 debt - £1088/2500 43.52%
    Completely declutter the house by Christmas day...all of it.

Nothing gets better until you get better.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th Oct 17, 11:09 PM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 9,137 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Oh DIA. I'm glad you're feeling better, migraines are so awful. I can't believe you went to work with it.
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    Thanks parsniphead
    To be honest I did not click that was what it was until I arrived at work. They let me sleep in the rest room from 8-10am and although I felt bad most of the day I took tablets and it was gone by 3ish. It never got to full blown, so I was very lucky
    But I do think I get in a state and that's why I get migraine sometimes or maybe the onset of a migraine is preceded by a particular type of mental state. I need to take control. I can't keep crashing every month. I'm sure I can do better...
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 13-10-2017 at 7:36 AM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 13th Oct 17, 7:57 AM
    • 1,234 Posts
    • 3,931 Thanks
    JoJoC
    If you think how you're feeling and the migranes could be linked, maybe you could ask the doctor when you're in for your bloods? It could also be hormonal?

Glad you're planning to break your tasks down for your day off, but please make sure to add something nice for yourself onto that day so it's not all about catching up.

Have a good day!
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3704.32 £100.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4927.48 £100.05 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £13,932.24 (£1067.76 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £22,564.04 | Total debt paid: £1,268.01 (5.3%)
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Oct 17, 8:49 AM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 9,137 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    If you think how you're feeling and the migranes could be linked, maybe you could ask the doctor when you're in for your bloods? It could also be hormonal?

Glad you're planning to break your tasks down for your day off, but please make sure to add something nice for yourself onto that day so it's not all about catching up.

Have a good day!
    I will check this. It could indeed be hormonal. Thank you. Have a good day too
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Oct 17, 8:52 AM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 9,137 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    determined to claim a good day!
    Today is a no spend day

I am WFH today

I will be relieved not to spend. My travel pass is finished but I can walk to an associated gym in 20 minutes. I may do that. I am not pushing on it. I will see how I feel after work.

Today will be lots of cooking and food prep, organising and some decluttering and clearing too. It is impossible to clean with so many cluttered surfaces.

Using what I have to create meals:

Adzuki beans

Spiced fish

Lentil, basil and tomato soup

Lamb burgers (made)

Grilled halloumi

Cucumber, red onion and tomato salad

Organic chicken stock (bubbling away)

Getting organised tasks for today

Washing on (backlogged as I had no washing liquid)

Another wash load in the machine

Rubbish/recycling sorted and ready for bin men

Dining room table decluttered and cleaned

Everything cleaned and decluttered in dining room ready for floors to be swept and steam cleaned at the weekend

Toilet room cleaned and bleached

End the day with a flylady sink and kitchen ready for floors to be cleaned and steamed at the weekend

Make a shopping list of essential items STOP RANDOM SHOPPING

Make a list of large To Declutter items in home and garden and phone the council to arrange a date to remove them.

Return to healthy eating within restricted hours. So, no eating after 6pm and main meal at lunch time.

This is my plan for the day folks. Good Luck with all of yours
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 13th Oct 17, 10:10 AM
    • 1,234 Posts
    • 3,931 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Nice to see your positivity and that you've already scored some items off today's list! Go you!

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Oct 17, 3:22 PM
    • 47,812 Posts
    • 173,580 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy Friday

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 13th Oct 17, 8:40 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 2,058 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Happy Friday DIA. I too have a backlog of things I must do before Monday so small bursts of focus from me.

I still do my flylady dailies at least 12 years on, hate coming down to a mess and always regret it if I don't do it. DW currently on and the drips cleared off the worktop...
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Oct 17, 9:13 PM
    • 47,812 Posts
    • 173,580 Thanks
    beanielou
    My 15 minutes bursts work well for me.
    Amazing sometimes what you can do in 15 minutes!!

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Oct 17, 9:42 PM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 9,137 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Nice to see your positivity and that you've already scored some items off today's list! Go you!
    Thanks JoJo. I am feeling more positive
    I too have a backlog of things I must do before Monday so small bursts of focus from me.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Good luck with your list. I am still ploughing through mine
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Oct 17, 9:46 PM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 9,137 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    boozy evening
    Tonight I was out in another after works do. I have eaten terribly, cake, crisps, peanuts, all foods that do not agree with me. I also drank 3 units of alcohol, with a chaser that is really just sugar water! So feeling really uncomfortable now although it was nice to chill. I’ll be drinking tomorrow too as I am going to a tasting session. Yikes. I will be so happy not to drink for ages after that.

Defrosting cod loins so I can eat really well tomorrow. I plan to put the food in a flask and take it out with me tomorrow to avoid eating poorly and paying for the privilege.

Spending wise I spent on my travel pass plus £2.50 on office treats for the team today. The drinks were paid for and I took lunch in.

Loads left on my to do list but I can do a bit more in the morning as I am out in the afternoon.

I don’t have much money left to pay day but I would be uncomfortable transferring any more money over from my emergency account. After all overspending is hardly an emergency.

My to do list is still incomplete. I am busy for a bit, but I am not panicking yet as I have a day booked off on Tuesday

Someone bought me flowers today

I hope you all had a lovely day
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Oct 17, 10:00 PM
    • 47,812 Posts
    • 173,580 Thanks
    beanielou
    How lovely to get flowers

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,605Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin