Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    • 2,178Posts
    • 10,141Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Dancing in the Rain
    • 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    Dancing in the Rain 14th Jan 16 at 5:50 PM
    Four years ago I was transitioning from freelance creative work to being an employee. I had rising debts because my outgoings exceeded my rubbish freelance income and I couldn't find a job. My home had repairs I couldn’t do. I felt as if my life was in a downwards spiral.

There have been/will be changes good and not so good and these changes have prompted my new diary.

GOOD CHANGES:

I’ve made some progress on emergency repairs and now have a wonderful new boiler (so I am warm!)

I work for a brilliant charity and have done for the last 3.5 years. I know I could earn more, but I enjoy my work, I do something worthwhile and it fits in with other things I want to achieve that are equally important to me. They are now agreeing (from March 2016) to me working full time with 2 days working from home. This is a work balance that will allow me to be creative, and improve my income so I can achieve my 2016 goals

This is the year I become mortgage free.

NOT SO GOOD CHANGES:

My debt has increased from £12,000 to £24,822

After much thought I have realised what my priorities should be for 2016. I want a dog and a small car and a trip to New York but those are WANTS that I can’t have, at least not this year…

I have set goals for 2016 and these goals work towards my overall plan for 2020. Each year there will be an overarching priority and 2016 my priority is HOUSE. I have a schedule of works from which I will set house goals

House, decluttering,creativity, social, house, health, finances, nurturing, environment, organisation and future self

I will also do a weekly, how I saved money this week update on Fridays

I sound frighteningly organised don’t I? This is me getting serious…but I have a real problem dealing with workmen and having them in them in my home!!!! so I'm also bit of a coward-custard deep down too

This isn’t always going to be fun, I get that. But no more putting my head down and waiting for the storm to pass. As often as I can I will get out there and dance in the rain!

Come and support me when you can
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 27-11-2017 at 9:52 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/November 2017=3,500
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Page 90
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 6th Oct 17, 9:34 AM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 26,822 Thanks
    in need of direction
    It is easy to take the foot of the pedal when things get less pressured. Just regroup and you'll be fine. You now have a plan in place and with your niece improving, you're less likely to be derailed.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,389.12, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,055.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £130/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 7/32 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Oct 17, 6:07 PM
    • 48,999 Posts
    • 181,861 Thanks
    beanielou
    Keep going~~you are nearly there.
    Oh how I wish I had been in that position at your age.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 6th Oct 17, 8:28 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 10,141 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Keep going~~you are nearly there.
    Oh how I wish I had been in that position at your age.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks beanielou
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 6th Oct 17, 8:29 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 10,141 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    It is easy to take the foot of the pedal when things get less pressured. Just regroup and you'll be fine. You now have a plan in place and with your niece improving, you're less likely to be derailed.
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    Sage advice INOD. Thank you
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 6th Oct 17, 8:31 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 10,141 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    snakes and ladders
    NOT SO GOOD STUFF
    I did not take food into work for lunch and I lost the plot this evening as I was over hungry.

Lunchtime I had a free lunch due to a voucher but then I bought a piece of cake that should have cost £2. I was overcharged by 40p AND short changed by £1. I discovered this late. IRRITATING.

I went to Mr Ts after work. Once upon a time this was my usual practice. Today I reverted and bought crisps and wine. NOT GOOD as I ate all the crisps and I had 2 glasses of wine.

Worse, Mr T charged me twice for my oranges.

My overcharging totals for today are £3.15p. I know it isn’t the end of the world but it BUGS me. It would not have happened if I had slowed down today

I created a meal in minutes and inhaled it. I definitely mismanaged my food today and just look at the result

GOOD STUFF
    I had an email connected to my creative work inviting me to be part of a focus group. 1 hour 45 minutes for £60. It isn’t far from where I work so I will do it and keep the money for frivolous spending. This is especially important as I am paying all my second job income to debt

I am doing the last part of a course tomorrow. Last week I could not sleep I was so scared. Today I am a little nervous but basically fine.

I arranged for a transfer to my C/A from my CU a/c and they did it straight away. Thank God I restarted saving in this a/c again

I have got to the end of the week in better shape than I got to the end of last week and for that I am grateful

I hope you got to the end of the week in fine form

Happy weekend
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Oct 17, 8:44 PM
    • 48,999 Posts
    • 181,861 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on the foccus group
    Enjoy your weekend.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 8th Oct 17, 4:50 PM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 14,281 Thanks
    parsniphead
    You have so many interesting opportunities happening lately.

Please don't worry so much about the crisps and wine. I know you like living healthy but it's not like you've been smoking h3roin. Sometimes we all need our "crisps and wine".

Have a fab weekend DIA.
    Nothing gets better until you get better.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 8th Oct 17, 6:26 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 10,141 Thanks
    doingitanyway

Please don't worry so much about the crisps and wine. I know you like living healthy but it's not like you've been smoking h3roin.
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    You are too funny and you are right I do lose perspective sometimes
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 8th Oct 17, 7:33 PM
    • 615 Posts
    • 3,475 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Parsniphead, I just sprayed my laptop with tea
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 9th Oct 17, 12:21 PM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 4,158 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Thieves! Thieves, the lot of them! Being overcharged is the pits

My mum was charged for a bag at Lidl last weekend when she didn't use one, so when she went home she dug out four receipts from the past month and realised that they all had 5p charges for bags on them and she always has her own reusable bags! Ok, it's only a matter of pence, but if these companies are doing this to all customers every transaction, that's a tidy profit that they're making. She has written to their head office.

Hopefully that's the end of your spate of overcharging bad luck.
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3554.32 £250.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4829.43 £245 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £12,369.24 (£2,631.76 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £20,752 | Total debt paid: £3,080 (13%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Oct 17, 1:54 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 10,141 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thieves! Thieves, the lot of them!
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    This made me laugh out loud, but you are right
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Oct 17, 1:57 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 10,141 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    the dust has settled
    My days looked too long with a 4 day week so I will be doing a 9 day fortnight, so I have every other Thursday off. For this I finish work at 5.30pm and have a 30 minute lunch, except on Saturdays when I have a 1hr lunch and go home at 5pm. I am happy with this

I have stopped my volunteer work after over a decade of working for them. I’ve done my bit, besides I already work for a charity for an average salary so I feel I already contribute to ‘the social good’ Yay, more time for me

My course at the weekend went exceptionally well but I am questioning whether I want to do it next year. This work took my stress levels through the roof and it took so much planning and work. I was only paid for teaching hours. I am thinking how I can use the material more lucratively in future. I am glad I could use my skills to earn extra money but I am happiest OUTSIDE of teaching institutions. I am thinking of how I can create a series of private classes in future?

I have felt creative over the past few days. It is almost as if my muse knows there will be more time available in the near future so it is worth turning up

Being creative has made me feel happier

Yesterday I blew the day doing nothing much, I just pottered creatively

I ate badly yesterday. Doing better today

I completed a PPI inquiry form yesterday and sent it off. I will do one tomorrow too. I don’t think I had it unless they gave it to me without permission but I will submit anyway as I am inspired by Parsniphead and you never know…

I hope your day is going well reader.
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 10-10-2017 at 1:59 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Oct 17, 8:53 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 10,141 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    making a difference task
    This evening I checked every mortgage statement I have ever had. No PPI paid just building insurance. That is okay at least I know now. Valuable information found as I know I had credit cards at the time of one of mortgages.

Threw out old receipts. Will do a PPI inquiry form for one of the credit cards tomorrow, see what comes back
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 10-10-2017 at 9:42 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Oct 17, 9:17 PM
    • 48,999 Posts
    • 181,861 Thanks
    beanielou
    Well always worth trying the PPI.

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Oct 17, 8:25 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 10,141 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    overspending again
    Reporting in with another rubbish MSE day. How does this keep happening? It is always when I am tired.

I did not take in any lunch to work. I have lots of fruit but I did not even take any in.

A colleague has got me ‘free’ £40 tickets to an event I wanted to go to. So I bought her lunch which meant buying me lunch, so whoosh £22 GONE.

Too tired to cook so shopped straight from work. Mr T caught me again but this time I was ready. I checked my receipt in store. They had charged me twice for delicate clothes wash so I got £3.50 back from customer services. The own brand clothes wash was £1.60 but there was no price on the Eco wash stuff. Now I know why! I really don’t save by avoiding an online shopping delivery. I need to shop from the comfort of my home where I am calm and none can overcharge me! I spent £26.50 in Mr Ts

The make a difference task today was applying for my pension statement. I first applied a year ago and missed out some info. Just getting around to resubmitting a whole year later!

I ate badly and I haven’t used the gym for 7 days

The house is an out of control mess

I’m running out of clothes for work as the washing is backlogged

I feel like I am building up to the ‘stop the world I want to get off’ feeling

Tomorrow is a works ‘do’ (expensive meal)

I haven’t been to visit my niece for days

I need to get a grip (again)

I hope your day was better than mine
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 11-10-2017 at 8:34 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 11th Oct 17, 9:02 PM
    • 615 Posts
    • 3,475 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Sounds like a meh sort of day, hope things feel better tonight. Can you break the tasks down into short bursts?

Otherwise, draw a line under it. Bath and a book.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Oct 17, 9:31 PM
    • 48,999 Posts
    • 181,861 Thanks
    beanielou
    Try to not beat yourself up too much.
    We all have difficult days, weeks, months.
    You are doing everything on your own too which is sometimes even more difficult.

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Oct 17, 9:33 PM
    • 48,999 Posts
    • 181,861 Thanks
    beanielou
    & being tired does not help.
    Is it worth doing to the Dr to have your bloods checked?

• parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 12th Oct 17, 5:20 AM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 14,281 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I hope you feel better after a nights sleep DIA. Try to take time to look after yourself. The house will be sorted eventually. I know it's hard.

're the PPI on mortgages , mine wasn't called ppi it was something else. No mention of the word ppi.
    Nothing gets better until you get better.
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 12th Oct 17, 6:31 AM
    • 885 Posts
    • 4,525 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    DIA I just started 4 day week in April I work 7.30 till 5 , then go to the gym on my way home at least 3 nights . This do tire me out but my work in the day is maybe not as stressful as yours. You have to do what is right for you though.

I recently checked PPI on my old mortgage and was advised I did have it , news to me it was , anyway my claim is progressing.

Hope you have a better day and no unplanned spends happen !
    Nov 2017 CC1 £3329 CC2 £600

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,180Posts Today

6,749Users online

Martin's Twitter