Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    • 1,983Posts
    • 9,038Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Dancing in the Rain
    • 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    Dancing in the Rain 14th Jan 16 at 5:50 PM
    Four years ago I was transitioning from freelance creative work to being an employee. I had rising debts because my outgoings exceeded my rubbish freelance income and I couldn't find a job. My home had repairs I couldn’t do. I felt as if my life was in a downwards spiral.

There have been/will be changes good and not so good and these changes have prompted my new diary.

GOOD CHANGES:

I’ve made some progress on emergency repairs and now have a wonderful new boiler (so I am warm!)

I work for a brilliant charity and have done for the last 3.5 years. I know I could earn more, but I enjoy my work, I do something worthwhile and it fits in with other things I want to achieve that are equally important to me. They are now agreeing (from March 2016) to me working full time with 2 days working from home. This is a work balance that will allow me to be creative, and improve my income so I can achieve my 2016 goals

This is the year I become mortgage free.

NOT SO GOOD CHANGES:

My debt has increased from £12,000 to £24,822

After much thought I have realised what my priorities should be for 2016. I want a dog and a small car and a trip to New York but those are WANTS that I can’t have, at least not this year…

I have set goals for 2016 and these goals work towards my overall plan for 2020. Each year there will be an overarching priority and 2016 my priority is HOUSE. I have a schedule of works from which I will set house goals

House, decluttering,creativity, social, house, health, finances, nurturing, environment, organisation and future self

I will also do a weekly, how I saved money this week update on Fridays

I sound frighteningly organised don’t I? This is me getting serious…but I have a real problem dealing with workmen and having them in them in my home!!!! so I'm also bit of a coward-custard deep down too

This isn’t always going to be fun, I get that. But no more putting my head down and waiting for the storm to pass. As often as I can I will get out there and dance in the rain!

Come and support me when you can
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 11-10-2017 at 8:35 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/September 2017=5,250
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Page 89
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 1st Oct 17, 7:31 PM
    • 3,210 Posts
    • 8,199 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    fab news DIA - well done you
    Proud to be dealing have dealt with my debts - DEBT FREE May 2016
    DFW Diary - Balancing not just the budget
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4398229
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 1st Oct 17, 9:43 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 2,008 Thanks
    redofromstart
    That's great news DIA, so pleased for you
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 1st Oct 17, 10:58 PM
    • 1,983 Posts
    • 9,038 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    food in a flask
    Hello debt busting folk

It is late and I should be pottering off to bed but there are so many lovely postings I just wanted to say thank you.
    I am feeling so relieved about being able to work 4 days in the near future.

My course went well yesterday and I am tutoring my private group tomorrow too. I have not had any free time for a while and I was at the hospital this evening after work so I am very tired.

There is food in the fridge in danger of going off just because I haven’t been in enough to cook it or eat it. Planning on getting up early tomorrow to cook before I leave for work and put food in a flask to have during the day.

Tuesday will be a decluttering, cleaning, clearing the front garden day. ALL DAY.

Tomorrow after tutoring my class I am meeting a friend for an exhibition.

I hope you all have a good start to the working week
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 2nd Oct 17, 11:09 AM
    • 1,228 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Wow - I disappear for a few days and come back to see that things seem to be heading in a fantastic direction for you! I'm so pleased that your work has agreed to exactly what you wanted in terms of work-life balance. Fantastic news!
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3704.32 £100.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4927.48 £100.05 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £13,932.24 (£1067.76 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £22,564.04 | Total debt paid: £1,268.01 (5.3%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 2nd Oct 17, 7:24 PM
    • 1,983 Posts
    • 9,038 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    offered more work for 2018
    Thanks for your positive post JoJo

I saw a stimulating and interesting exhibition today and it was nice to have some quality ‘me’ time where I was getting something instead of giving something. It was also lovely to see a good friend and catch up.

I had a really poor lunch at Leon. It had obviously been sitting there for some time and was a little manky. It wasn’t that expensive at £6 but it was a disappointment I won’t be repeating. I have had this once before with them too. I wrote and complained and got no response. This time I will not bother. They do good and consistent cake so I’ll stick to that in future.

The private class went well today and they have asked to change the class from fortnightly to weekly. This is something to think about when I am 4 days a week in the new year.

I am already quite confident that I can make up the 1 day lost income shortfall from my main job in other ways

Have a lovely evening
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 3rd Oct 17, 6:43 AM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 14,076 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Wow, everything seems to be falling into place work wise for you. I think 2018 is going to be your special year. Enjoy.
    My August to Christmas challenge:.
    Pay off £2500 debt - £1088/2500 43.52%
    Completely declutter the house by Christmas day...all of it.

Nothing gets better until you get better.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 3rd Oct 17, 8:51 AM
    • 1,983 Posts
    • 9,038 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Wow, everything seems to be falling into place work wise for you. I think 2018 is going to be your special year. Enjoy.
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    Thanks parsniphead, I hope so. Wouldn't that be nice? I've had a fair few 'unspecial' years in the past. As Otis Redding sings 'a change is gonna come' I know you are also hoping for changes work wise so hoping for the same for you
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Oct 17, 12:02 PM
    • 47,721 Posts
    • 173,137 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad that the course went so well.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 3rd Oct 17, 6:38 PM
    • 1,983 Posts
    • 9,038 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    The day did not go as planned. All of my cleaning, decluttering, gardening plans came to zilch.

I went to the gym and did a work out. I was so exhausted after I was good for nothing. Hopefully I will be able to recover quicker as time goes on

I weighed myself and it is still going down. This helped me resist buying crisps today.

I searched for a new kettle as mine broke but I did not find one in a reasonable price range.

I went to MnS for YS stuff. Not successful but I found a bra and knickers that would have cost £50 but I paid £10. I got some jeans for £14 that would have been £40. Very pleased with all purchases as I don’t focus on buying new clothes so I can easily look a little shabby and I want to make more effort on this front.

I made stock and some spicy lentil, spinach and coconut milk soup.

There are things I can do to tonight. All is not lost. Doing the following:

wash up all dishes and leave a flylady worthy sink
    load washing machine and wash clothes overnight
    do online shopping order
    clean dining table
    do ironing and pack away ironing board

So that is me today.
    I hope your day went well reader
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 3rd Oct 17, 7:17 PM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 14,076 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Well done on the M & S finds DIA. I used to love their undies but it's been a while.

Well done on having the motivation to exercise. You should be proud.

• in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 4th Oct 17, 9:17 AM
    • 4,636 Posts
    • 26,033 Thanks
    in need of direction
    I use a one cup water heater rather than a kettle. It may be worth considering as it's very fuel efficient.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,993.50, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,035.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £90/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 6/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Oct 17, 3:42 PM
    • 47,721 Posts
    • 173,137 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good M & S bargains

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 4th Oct 17, 5:59 PM
    • 1,983 Posts
    • 9,038 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Good evening campers

I am still working on my drudge job list from yesterday. I did not do it on my day off and not today either although I made a dent on the jobs on both yesterday evening and today. I will keep going. Ironing tonight and getting rid of the ironing board.

Work came back to me on my compressed hours. There is a document to sign at the weekend when I meet with my line manager

My arms are sore after my workout yesterday.

I have booked a few classes over the next few weeks, like body pump, and an early morning (before work) bootcamp class. I have to make the most of my very expensive membership!

I had some lovely sea bass for supper. MnS YS, was £5.50 reduced to £1.15. They were in the freezer. The only naughty thing is, I ate both fillets as they were so delicious…

On JoJo’s diary she was talking about goals and not achieving much in the evenings. I want to start working on making progress. I have done well on all things work related in both my main job and in my private work. I want to shift the focus and tackle a new area now

Happy hump day everyone
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 4th Oct 17, 7:41 PM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 14,076 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Sounds like a productive day DIA. I know what you mean about evenings, it's so easy to waste the time.

Good luck with the gym classes.

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 4th Oct 17, 8:01 PM
    • 1,983 Posts
    • 9,038 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Good luck with the gym classes.
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    Thanks parsniphead. If you ever saw me working out you would know how much luck I will need to get to the end
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 5th Oct 17, 12:23 PM
    • 1,983 Posts
    • 9,038 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    over relaxing
    Hello Campers,

I discovered I have just £20 left in my current account and I have 3 weeks to pay day. This should not be a surprise to me and yet it is.

I have stopped aiming for NSDs. I now have an expensive gym membership. I am not tracking my spending. I am not keeping to a budget. I paid for membership to an art gallery. I have a steep charity contribution.

I bought a new teapot today for £18. Now it was reduced from £25 and I have wanted it for years and I saw it in another colour for £30.

I must admit I love the tea pot and I will now pass on my old one as it gave me no joy! I don’t want to be too hard on myself. I bought a teapot not a jar of caviar and since cutting down on wine I do like nice tea…

But basically I am not spending like a person who has debt.

I think it is because I can see the end of my debt getting closer so I am relaxing.

I have been working hard so I feel I have more money and I do but the fact is I still have £5,500 of debt that needs to be paid.

I will be back with a plan!

Did anyone else getting closer to their DF date begin to over relax?

The sun has come out here a little. I hope it has for you too
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Oct 17, 3:52 PM
    • 47,721 Posts
    • 173,137 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sun out here but chilly.

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Oct 17, 3:53 PM
    • 47,721 Posts
    • 173,137 Thanks
    beanielou
    Oh & could you cut down the charity contribution for a wee while?

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 5th Oct 17, 6:07 PM
    • 1,983 Posts
    • 9,038 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    getting a grip
    I have gone back to basics.

£50 a week for pocket money and food shopping taken out in CASH every Monday
    A NSD on Tuesdays and Wednesdays
    A new budget that balances

MSE Action

Paid £250 from savings to debt (to stop me thinking I have more money than I really have)
    Made breakfast and lunch for tomorrow to stop me spending unnecessarily.
    Cancelled charity contributions from next month (Will restart when debt free) Thanks for the idea beanielou

Decluttered

Old tea pot
    Linen top
    Vests
    Socks
    Hair tongs
    Stainless steel cup

Niece out of hospital

Hope your day went well
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 05-10-2017 at 9:38 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Oct 17, 8:39 PM
    • 47,721 Posts
    • 173,137 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on your neice

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

290Posts Today

2,033Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin