Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    • 2,104Posts
    • 9,737Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Dancing in the Rain
    • 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    Dancing in the Rain 14th Jan 16 at 5:50 PM
    Four years ago I was transitioning from freelance creative work to being an employee. I had rising debts because my outgoings exceeded my rubbish freelance income and I couldn't find a job. My home had repairs I couldn’t do. I felt as if my life was in a downwards spiral.

There have been/will be changes good and not so good and these changes have prompted my new diary.

GOOD CHANGES:

I’ve made some progress on emergency repairs and now have a wonderful new boiler (so I am warm!)

I work for a brilliant charity and have done for the last 3.5 years. I know I could earn more, but I enjoy my work, I do something worthwhile and it fits in with other things I want to achieve that are equally important to me. They are now agreeing (from March 2016) to me working full time with 2 days working from home. This is a work balance that will allow me to be creative, and improve my income so I can achieve my 2016 goals

This is the year I become mortgage free.

NOT SO GOOD CHANGES:

My debt has increased from £12,000 to £24,822

After much thought I have realised what my priorities should be for 2016. I want a dog and a small car and a trip to New York but those are WANTS that I can’t have, at least not this year…

I have set goals for 2016 and these goals work towards my overall plan for 2020. Each year there will be an overarching priority and 2016 my priority is HOUSE. I have a schedule of works from which I will set house goals

House, decluttering,creativity, social, house, health, finances, nurturing, environment, organisation and future self

I will also do a weekly, how I saved money this week update on Fridays

I sound frighteningly organised don’t I? This is me getting serious…but I have a real problem dealing with workmen and having them in them in my home!!!! so I'm also bit of a coward-custard deep down too

This isn’t always going to be fun, I get that. But no more putting my head down and waiting for the storm to pass. As often as I can I will get out there and dance in the rain!

Come and support me when you can
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 05-11-2017 at 7:25 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/November 2017=4,525
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Page 86
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Sep 17, 8:44 PM
    • 48,556 Posts
    • 178,795 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sorry about the migraine but it does sound that you have really clarified your way ahead.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Sep 17, 9:03 PM
    • 2,104 Posts
    • 9,737 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Sorry about the migraine but it does sound that you have really clarified your way ahead.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks Beanielou. A clear head often follows a migraine for me. I get panicked when I can't see the way ahead. I'm the kind of person who needs a plan and now I have one I will be okay (until the next build up of stress and meltdown I guess)
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Sep 17, 9:40 PM
    • 48,556 Posts
    • 178,795 Thanks
    beanielou
    Thanks Beanielou. A clear head often follows a migraine for me. I get panicked when I can't see the way ahead. I'm the kind of person who needs a plan and now I have one I will be okay (until the next build up of stress and meltdown I guess)
    Originally posted by doingitanyway

I am like that too.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th Sep 17, 3:50 PM
    • 2,104 Posts
    • 9,737 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    slow progress is still progress
    I called to make an appointment with the handyman. He will come for an hour tomorrow and get a washing line erected in the garden (he has a special drill so he can drill into the concrete post (I hope) He will also get stuff down from the loft so I can check boxes for possible PPI information although I fear I shredded most old paperwork

I had a brainwave. I emailed a local office I used to volunteer for and asked them to circulate my email asking for personal recommendations for any tradespeople and a gardener. This should reach about 60 people. Hopefully something will come of this

I washed sheets and bed stuff and they dried over my patio doors. They need ironing now. I am anticipating a good night’s sleep

All I need to do now is to hoover the dustballs in my bedroom away and clean the surfaces.

Later tonight I have a long phone call with a friend

Fingers crossed, but the squirrels have either acquired slippers and mittens or they have gone…

The pedicure that was cancelled due to family events has now been rebooked for next week when I have a few days off

I WFH today and it was an okay day

The kitchen has been wrestled back to being under control

I made soup.

I hope you had a good day reader.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Sep 17, 5:31 PM
    • 48,556 Posts
    • 178,795 Thanks
    beanielou
    All sounding good

• parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 12th Sep 17, 5:43 PM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 14,230 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I'm glad you're feeling better DIA. I don't suffer from migraines but feel for you as I know they are so horrible.

Whatever you do you have plans in place. The idea of a cleaner sounds wonderful. Perhaps when I'm debt free .

Good luck with the recommendations. It's scary getting in the trades, especially if you have no idea what they are like.
    My August to Christmas challenge:.
    Pay off £2500 debt - £1088/2500 43.52%
    Completely declutter the house by Christmas day...all of it.

Nothing gets better until you get better.
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 13th Sep 17, 10:28 AM
    • 1,247 Posts
    • 4,033 Thanks
    JoJoC
    You sound a lot more positive, DIA It's nice to hear! Sorry about the migrane, but it sounds like you needed it to clear your head.

Hope you get a good recommendation for a tradesperson - if only you lived closer, my husband has a trusted friend in most of the trades that he uses (benefit of being an electrician I suppose - he gets to know lots of people and see their work).

Glad your contact is willing to hold off the work until next year for you! It just goes to show that if you don't ask, you don't get! It's so nice to see everything working out for you.
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3704.32 £100.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4927.48 £100.05 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £13,932.24 (£1067.76 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £22,564.04 | Total debt paid: £1,268.01 (5.3%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • SusieT78
    • By SusieT78 13th Sep 17, 10:52 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    SusieT78
    I hope your niece is continuing to make a recovery in hospital.
    Fingers crossed the squirrels are gone for good.
    Do you have something in particular planned for your sabbatical in 2019?
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Sep 17, 1:35 PM
    • 2,104 Posts
    • 9,737 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Good luck with the recommendations. It's scary getting in the trades, especially if you have no idea what they are like.
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    Yes, this is my big fear Parsniphead but I am determined it will not stop me from doing up the house next year so I can move on the following year.
    You sound a lot more positive, DIA It's nice to hear! Sorry about the migrane, but it sounds like you needed it to clear your head.

Hope you get a good recommendation for a tradesperson - if only you lived closer, my husband has a trusted friend in most of the trades that he uses (benefit of being an electrician I suppose - he gets to know lots of people and see their work).

Glad your contact is willing to hold off the work until next year for you! It just goes to show that if you don't ask, you don't get! It's so nice to see everything working out for you.
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    Thanks JoJo. I so wish I lived closer and could have access to your hubby's little black book
    I was amazed the private work person was willing to wait until 2018 to work with me. I am not a confident person in many ways but I can see I am very good at my paid job but better than very good at my private work. I also enjoy it more. I need to see how I can increase this type of work and decrease the existing job
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Sep 17, 1:39 PM
    • 2,104 Posts
    • 9,737 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I hope your niece is continuing to make a recovery in hospital.
    Fingers crossed the squirrels are gone for good.
    Do you have something in particular planned for your sabbatical in 2019?
    Originally posted by SusieT78
    Thanks SusieT78 Squirrels and niece situation both going according to plan
    In 2019 I will travel and do a creative project that needs a large expanse of time. But life has snakes and ladders so who knows what will happen by then, but I like to have a plan
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Sep 17, 1:45 PM
    • 2,104 Posts
    • 9,737 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    dust and debt
    Hello people

I hope your day is going well.

I am WFH and made a veggie curry that is okay but not amazing...

I washed some blankets in a white vinegar rinse to soften them. They are out drying ready for the cooler weather

I cleaned my bedroom yesterday. The dustballs were fist sized.
    I decluttered a lamp to charity shop. It is lovely but fiddly and no longer to my taste.
    I removed a chair, a rug (for cleaning and repositioning in the dining room) a clothes rack, the suitcase under my bed and I found a new home for the small chest.

I have set up a tea tray with a small teapot, a beautiful cup and saucer and my lovely F&M tea in retro canister

There is nothing under my bed now.

There is still dusting and cleaning the blinds and window to do but one evening resulted in a dramatic improvement.

The stuff under the bed is a bit like debt. You can ignore it. It might be manageable or out of sight but you know it is there and it will feel so much better when it is completely clear
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • SusieT78
    • By SusieT78 13th Sep 17, 4:14 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    SusieT78
    Wow, sounds like you've been busy.

Taking a sabbatical to go travelling is one of the things I wish I'd done when I was younger and in a position to do so.
    It's going on holiday so much that is the main contributing factor for most of my current debt, in some ways I think I was making up for not going travelling when I was younger, so it's good to read that you're putting plans in place so you can do that without going into any debt.

Good luck with expanding your private work when the time ins right, with your positive attitude I'm sure you'll be successful!
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 13th Sep 17, 4:16 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 2,943 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Sounds like you have been really productive. Perhaps me, you, parsniphead and EH should all have a swap round, where you clear a room for the next person on the list?

I cunningly bought a divan bed with drawers so I couldn't hide things underneath - the drawers are the emergency present and card stash so usually fairly full of random bargain sanctuary spa sets, etc.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Sep 17, 7:39 PM
    • 2,104 Posts
    • 9,737 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Taking a sabbatical to go travelling is one of the things I wish I'd done when I was younger and in a position to do so
    Originally posted by SusieT78
    I'm lucky or unlucky, depends what way you look at it, but by travelling I mean going to visit friends/and or family in different parts of the world for longer than a few weeks...
    Sounds like you have been really productive. Perhaps me, you, parsniphead and EH should all have a swap round, where you clear a room for the next person on the list?
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Haha. Good idea
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Sep 17, 7:42 PM
    • 2,104 Posts
    • 9,737 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    oompah loompah mode
    I WFH today when I should have gone in to work.
    I stayed home today when I should have gone for a swimming.
    I should be going to the hospital tonight but I did not go. My niece is very well supported and getting better so I don’t feel the urgency I once did. I am not feeling 100% so I haven’t pushed my self today, or maybe I am being lazy, I don’t know.

HMRC has written to me with a £35 overpayment. I am going to spend most of it. I am going to treat myself to some posh facial oil and I will also do my eyebrows. A total of £25 but I think it will do me good. I will pay the remaining £10 to my emergency fund that currently stands at £200.

I am hoping the facial oil lets some pressure out of a massive desire building up for STUFF. I want a TV that doesn’t have to warm up before the whole picture shows. I’ve put up with it for over a year! I would like some earrings and a spa day being pampered. Silly right now. 2018 is not far off and all that can wait…

My weight is going down again. I am not doing any diet or calorie counting as I do so much better (and it is cheaper) when I do my own thing. I am not eating too many simple carbs. I am eating a hearty protein based breakfast and I eat my main meal before 5pm and nothing after that.
    I have also upped my activity and started swimming again which must help

I have made tomorrow’s lunch for work and I am going to prepare my clothes for tomorrow.

I hope you had a good day today reader
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 14-09-2017 at 7:50 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 14th Sep 17, 9:21 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 2,943 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I'm a big fan of nice facial oils - I have quite a collection to use up though. I find the facial massage helps with the stress too.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Sep 17, 9:29 PM
    • 2,104 Posts
    • 9,737 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I'm a big fan of nice facial oils - I have quite a collection to use up though. I find the facial massage helps with the stress too.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    I totally agree re stress. It used to be part of my wind down routine and it has neroli in it. I've stopped lots of luxuries and now my debt is diminishing I am rethinking what I am doing without and what I want to reintroduce again. Enjoy your facial oils
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 15th Sep 17, 8:21 PM
    • 2,104 Posts
    • 9,737 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    gratitude
    So, I have the facial oil and I can begin to improve my battered skin

In the office today.

The lunch I took was inadequate and I didn’t have any fruit in the house so couldn’t pack any. I was hungry so I bought a reduced price sandwich on the way home and 2 bags of reduced price crisps. I also bought a coffee and bought a coffee at lunchtime. An £8 massive own goal.

Answer? Next time take coffee in to work, make it and drink on the way home. Eat more protein so I am less hungry. Pack an extra snack (apple and nut butter) for going home. Also, buy a bag of apples every week at the least as good for transportable snacks.

I don’t mind the much more expensive face oil because it was an intentional purchase. It is the unintentional purchases that annoy me and I intend to eliminate, okay, decrease then.

Today I am grateful for:

My new debt statement showing interest due of just over £20 when once it was well over £100

I am working on Sunday to cover a colleague so I have tomorrow off. I have not had a Saturday off for a long time

Linen sheets

All hail the weekend
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Sep 17, 8:26 PM
    • 48,556 Posts
    • 178,795 Thanks
    beanielou
    Enjoy your Saturday off
    Not to forget your lovely new face oil

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 15th Sep 17, 8:26 PM
    • 2,104 Posts
    • 9,737 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Enjoy your Saturday off
    Not to forget your lovely new face oil
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks Beanielou. Have a good weekend
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,018Posts Today

7,369Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks

• Interesting, most people say they would champion a policy from a party they usually oppose. Yet is anyone brave eno? https://t.co/MWYGHunAqu

• RT @MSE_Deals: The MSE deals team are in the office nice and early to bring you full analysis of all the #BlackFriday deals throughout the?

• Follow Martin