Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    • 1,879Posts
    • 8,529Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Dancing in the Rain
    • 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    Dancing in the Rain 14th Jan 16 at 5:50 PM
    Four years ago I was transitioning from freelance creative work to being an employee. I had rising debts because my outgoings exceeded my rubbish freelance income and I couldn't find a job. My home had repairs I couldn’t do. I felt as if my life was in a downwards spiral.

There have been/will be changes good and not so good and these changes have prompted my new diary.

GOOD CHANGES:

I’ve made some progress on emergency repairs and now have a wonderful new boiler (so I am warm!)

I work for a brilliant charity and have done for the last 3.5 years. I know I could earn more, but I enjoy my work, I do something worthwhile and it fits in with other things I want to achieve that are equally important to me. They are now agreeing (from March 2016) to me working full time with 2 days working from home. This is a work balance that will allow me to be creative, and improve my income so I can achieve my 2016 goals

This is the year I become mortgage free.

NOT SO GOOD CHANGES:

My debt has increased from £12,000 to £24,822

After much thought I have realised what my priorities should be for 2016. I want a dog and a small car and a trip to New York but those are WANTS that I can’t have, at least not this year…

I have set goals for 2016 and these goals work towards my overall plan for 2020. Each year there will be an overarching priority and 2016 my priority is HOUSE. I have a schedule of works from which I will set house goals

House, decluttering,creativity, social, house, health, finances, nurturing, environment, organisation and future self

I will also do a weekly, how I saved money this week update on Fridays

I sound frighteningly organised don’t I? This is me getting serious…but I have a real problem dealing with workmen and having them in them in my home!!!! so I'm also bit of a coward-custard deep down too

This isn’t always going to be fun, I get that. But no more putting my head down and waiting for the storm to pass. As often as I can I will get out there and dance in the rain!

Come and support me when you can
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 01-02-2017 at 10:05 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/September 2017=6,448
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Page 84
    • SusieT78
    • By SusieT78 2nd Sep 17, 12:29 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    SusieT78
    Hope your niece gets well soon.
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 2nd Sep 17, 8:45 AM
    • 4,081 Posts
    • 21,896 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    I'm glad my post helped in a small way.

Fingers crossed the squirrels have moved out permanently.

((Hugs)) to you and your family.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 20 for August
    NSD - 0/18
    (up to 01/09/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • helsbell
    • By helsbell 2nd Sep 17, 3:47 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    helsbell
    I hope your niece recovers quickly. Please remember to look after yourself too, while you're watching out for her. Don't forget to eat.

((Hugs))
    August 2017 B'card £5006.83 BoS £1086.59 DFD November 2020
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 2nd Sep 17, 11:57 PM
    • 1,214 Posts
    • 3,189 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Hope you're niece is doing ok DIA, and you too of course. Update us when you can xx
    Debt April 2015 - £6895.44 Debt April 2017 - £2500 May - £1455 Aug - £960
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £254.52
    Every penny is a prisoner
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 3rd Sep 17, 7:38 AM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 8,529 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    the nhs
    Thank you all for your support and kind words

I called the critical care unit when I woke and my niece has become responsive. She is talking again.
    She is being moved to the high dependancy unit. Progress. I shall be going in to see her today. She eats the way I do so I am taking her yellow Thai curried veggies on quinoa with toasted cashews on top. I am cooking it now

The squirrels are still active and they still stress me but it fades away compared with the last few days of terror.

I have to say I love the NHS. I really do. They have saved her life, AGAIN

If any of you work for the NHS (Orange Ena for example) I just want to thank you for what you do

Normal moaning, general whinging and debt busting will resume soon

Enjoy your Sunday.

Hug your people
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 03-09-2017 at 7:58 AM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 3rd Sep 17, 8:45 AM
    • 2,147 Posts
    • 13,559 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Glad to hear your niece is improving. We are lucky to have our health service whem we need it.

Have a better day DIA.
    My August to Christmas challenge:.
    Pay off £2500 debt - £206/2500 8.24%
    Completely declutter the house by Christmas day...all of it.

Nothing should be wasted on the self-sufficient holding. The dustman should never have to call. John Seymour
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 3rd Sep 17, 9:10 AM
    • 481 Posts
    • 1,210 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Good to hear DIA , my daughter is a nurse. We have nothing but praise for our local hospital we have a lot to be grateful for because of them.

The curry sounds up my street as well, hope your niece enjoys it and is soon on the way to recovery.
    Aug 2017 CC1 £3549 CC 2 £1000

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Sep 17, 11:50 AM
    • 47,236 Posts
    • 169,788 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad that your neice is on the road to recovery.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • helsbell
    • By helsbell 3rd Sep 17, 6:59 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    helsbell
    So glad to hear that she is improved. I too am always grateful for the NHS.
    August 2017 B'card £5006.83 BoS £1086.59 DFD November 2020
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Sep 17, 9:25 PM
    • 47,236 Posts
    • 169,788 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope things continue to improve.
    Take care of you too.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 4th Sep 17, 5:52 PM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 8,529 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    onwards and upwards
    Thank you
    Thank you for all the positive vibes during my family health crisis. My niece is getting better

Decluttering
    Today I gave a leather bag that I have had for many years to the charity shop. It was a lovely bag that improved with age, but not that practical and a bit heavy. It is really good quality leather so I told them to be sure to get a good price. In its place I have a small Muji shoulder bag that I can clip the strap off and place it in a bigger bag if needs be.

I decluttered some beautiful new Timberland boots by giving them to my sister. They were still in the box. She loves them, so I am glad I did not keep them as they were a little too tight.

Second income
    I started my private class today and it went very well. I have banked the cheques and my plan is to pay some off the debt and keep some for clothes/my appearance.

I am expecting some other money from teaching, but I checked and it has yet to arrive.

I am going to book a few days off my main job to prepare for a course I will be running in 3 weeks. In October I should be able to pay the money I receive from teaching, to debt.

Health and wellbeing
    My family crisis has seen my gym take a back seat so I will be going back tomorrow and Wednesday too. I am paying a huge amount for this membership, so I am determined to make full use of it.

The house
    Squirrels, repairs, clutter, grubby, front and back gardens begging for attention. Sheets and blankets back logged as washing line has broken and I don’t have a dryer.

Tomorrow I will call the odd job man to see if he can put a line up in the garden. I am WFH this week so I plan to make progress on the house…

I hope your week got off to a good start reader
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Sep 17, 6:05 PM
    • 47,236 Posts
    • 169,788 Thanks
    beanielou
    Maybe an inside airer would help?
    About 15 quid.

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 4th Sep 17, 6:12 PM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 8,529 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Maybe an inside airer would help?
    About 15 quid.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks Beanielou I do use them, but for big items like sheets and blankets I need a line. Sometimes I finish off inside on an airer.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Sep 17, 6:19 PM
    • 47,236 Posts
    • 169,788 Thanks
    beanielou
    Thanks Beanielou I do use them, but for big items like sheets and blankets I need a line. Sometimes I finish off inside on an airer.
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Weather is often not good enough for line drying here

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 5th Sep 17, 11:42 AM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 8,529 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    swimming
    I am WFH today

Washing done and drying
    Washing up done and dried and packed away

I put a radio on a talk station and left it on in the loft. Guess what? I have not heard a sound since. I paid silly money to get rid of them but it is the radio that worked. It is on a timer.

I ordered a swimsuit from B0den. It just arrived. It was reduced from £65 to £30 and is lovely. So I can officially go swimming. I still need a swimming cap but I should be able to pick one up today. The good thing about swimming is the kit is small to transport. My gym has towels so I should be able to carry my swimsuit easily in case there is time in my day to have a swim.

After so long I am so looking forward to being able to swim in a nice pool. There is nothing better than swimming for stress and the past week has been stressful so I need to swim.

I made bean and beef curried meatballs using YS beef mince and Rogan Josh paste that was also reduced. They are all ready in the fridge and look delicious

I made a tahini sauce too

I love cauliflower rice so I will have the meatballs with cauliflower rice and grilled aubergine with tahini sauce tonight

I have a dentist check up this afternoon. I am hoping I get away without any treatment. After the dentist I will go swimming whilst the pool is quiet and before the yummy mummies and their kids arrive.

I hope your day is going well reader
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 6th Sep 17, 8:06 AM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 8,529 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    addict behaviour
    Good Morning Campers

Washing on
    Washing drying outside
    Swimsuit rinsed and hung out on dryer

I woke up today and felt slimmer. I tried on a skirt in my next size down and it fits. A lovely never worn skirt that I can wear to work on casual days. Losing weight is very MSE. I’ve been wearing shabby jeans that I need to let go, now I can wear this skirt I will do so.

Starting to exercise and organised eating have begun to show results

I enjoyed my swim last night. I swam 30 lengths. Today I am WFH and I will go to the gym after work. I plan to do 40 minutes of aerobic activity.

I got the all clear at the dentist’s yesterday. I find the hygienist very expensive to maintain but in the long run I think it saves me money.

For the first time in ages I am happy with my dentists and my GP. This has not happened by accident. I am working on putting in place good health support for team DIA.

I have run out of coffee. I have enough for breakfast, but not knowing when my next fix is coming is scary. I guess that makes me an addict

Have a good day reader
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • SusieT78
    • By SusieT78 6th Sep 17, 12:20 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    SusieT78
    I'm pleased to hear your neice is getting better. The NHS is wonderful, neither of my children would be alive today if it wasn't for the NHS.

Everything sounds very positive on the private classes front.

When we can't use our outside line due to rain we use an inside airer (one of the 3 sided ones that you can make into a triangle) and it's just big enough so if you put the sheet over the top it hangs down the sides without touching the floor. We can only dry one sheet at a time this way though. We also have an airing cupboard and hang things like towels on trouser coathangers on a pipe that runs through it.

Well done on the weight loss, it's a great feeling getting back into old clothes!
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 6th Sep 17, 5:28 PM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 8,529 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I'm pleased to hear your neice is getting better. The NHS is wonderful, neither of my children would be alive today if it wasn't for the NHS.

Everything sounds very positive on the private classes front.

When we can't use our outside line due to rain we use an inside airer (one of the 3 sided ones that you can make into a triangle) and it's just big enough so if you put the sheet over the top it hangs down the sides without touching the floor. We can only dry one sheet at a time this way though. We also have an airing cupboard and hang things like towels on trouser coathangers on a pipe that runs through it.

Well done on the weight loss, it's a great feeling getting back into old clothes!
    Originally posted by SusieT78
    Thanks for the encouragement SusieT78 I think I will look for a triangular clothes airer. It will be useful
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 6th Sep 17, 5:29 PM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 8,529 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    stoopid
    Listening to Dave Ramsey to keep motivated.

I love him saying stooopid. He says it with such force and feeling. It sounds brilliant because no one calls anyone stupid these days. We might say, ‘that was an unwise decision,’ or ‘I would make different choices' or even ‘I don’t understand why you would do that.’ But Dave Ramsey is right. Sometimes we are stooopid.

I admit I was stupid. I buried my head in the sand. I gave in to impulses like a child. Now I have a plan that I am sticking to like an adult. No longer stupid (most of the time)

I hope you stuck to your plan today and if not I hope you get back on it soon
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Sep 17, 7:31 PM
    • 47,236 Posts
    • 169,788 Thanks
    beanielou
    Well done on the swimming.
    That is the type of airer I meant.
    Another tip is to put a sheet over a door to dry/air.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,350Posts Today

6,121Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin