Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    • 1,885Posts
    • 8,556Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Dancing in the Rain
    • 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    Dancing in the Rain 14th Jan 16 at 5:50 PM
    Four years ago I was transitioning from freelance creative work to being an employee. I had rising debts because my outgoings exceeded my rubbish freelance income and I couldn't find a job. My home had repairs I couldn’t do. I felt as if my life was in a downwards spiral.

There have been/will be changes good and not so good and these changes have prompted my new diary.

GOOD CHANGES:

I’ve made some progress on emergency repairs and now have a wonderful new boiler (so I am warm!)

I work for a brilliant charity and have done for the last 3.5 years. I know I could earn more, but I enjoy my work, I do something worthwhile and it fits in with other things I want to achieve that are equally important to me. They are now agreeing (from March 2016) to me working full time with 2 days working from home. This is a work balance that will allow me to be creative, and improve my income so I can achieve my 2016 goals

This is the year I become mortgage free.

NOT SO GOOD CHANGES:

My debt has increased from £12,000 to £24,822

After much thought I have realised what my priorities should be for 2016. I want a dog and a small car and a trip to New York but those are WANTS that I can’t have, at least not this year…

I have set goals for 2016 and these goals work towards my overall plan for 2020. Each year there will be an overarching priority and 2016 my priority is HOUSE. I have a schedule of works from which I will set house goals

House, decluttering,creativity, social, house, health, finances, nurturing, environment, organisation and future self

I will also do a weekly, how I saved money this week update on Fridays

I sound frighteningly organised don’t I? This is me getting serious…but I have a real problem dealing with workmen and having them in them in my home!!!! so I'm also bit of a coward-custard deep down too

This isn’t always going to be fun, I get that. But no more putting my head down and waiting for the storm to pass. As often as I can I will get out there and dance in the rain!

Come and support me when you can
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 01-02-2017 at 10:05 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/September 2017=5,500
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Page 77
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 13th Jul 17, 10:52 PM
    • 4,582 Posts
    • 25,681 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Potato bread is just mash, flour,an egg for binding and griddled. It was basically poor people food making use of spuds. So it probably would work with buckwheat.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £81,750.18, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £3,975.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £4.5/5.5k & £25/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 2/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 13th Jul 17, 11:55 PM
    • 1,222 Posts
    • 3,203 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Evening DIA

I'm glad the handyman has been to do a few jobs. It's great to get home stuff sorted and I don't think £25 an hour is too bad at all. He's got travel expenses, insurance, advertising, tax and other expenses to pay out of that so if you break it down, it sounds ok. My friend is self employed and she's recently put her prices up to cover extras and she was telling me people don't realise what she has to pay out of her fee. I was listening

I really want a potato rosti now with all this talk

Have a fab weekend, nearly breathing out time x
    Debt April 2015 - £6895.44 Debt April 2017 - £2500 May - £1455 Aug - £960
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £254.52
    Every penny is a prisoner
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 14th Jul 17, 10:22 AM
    • 2,162 Posts
    • 13,639 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I'm glad your day ended well after a tough day at work.

Potato bread sounds lovely, I may have to try it, perhaps the gluten free one.

I hope you are having a good day.
    My August to Christmas challenge:.
    Pay off £2500 debt - £806/2500 32.24%
    Completely declutter the house by Christmas day...all of it.

Nothing should be wasted on the self-sufficient holding. The dustman should never have to call. John Seymour
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jul 17, 7:22 PM
    • 1,885 Posts
    • 8,556 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    a different route
    Yum INOD. You have inspired a new recipe. I am going to try to make a sweet potato and buckwheat flour potato bread. I might play with it by adding oregano and feta cheese too. One of my ideas is to start a ‘naturally gluten free and healthy eating’ blog or workshop or supper club when I finally have a decent home to host a supper club, so your idea has gone in my recipe book, assuming the bread turns out well

Orange Ena, you are quite right, the handyman fee is not expensive really. I should be more realistic.

Thanks Parsniphead and Beanielou for the positive vibes

Today my week ends as I am not working tomorrow. I can breathe out

I had a ‘I want to stick pins in my eye’ training course. Hours of IT and new system torture…

I picked up some reduced price fruit and salads. I ate a giant salad tonight with a tin of mackerel and 2 boiled eggs.

The frog I ate today was to take a different route to work. I have a rubbish sense of direction and I was convinced I would get lost and be late for work if I walked from a different station. So I never have. I did it. It all went well

Have a wonderful weekend everyone
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Jul 17, 7:51 PM
    • 47,260 Posts
    • 169,931 Thanks
    beanielou
    You have a good weekend too
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 21st Jul 17, 10:13 PM
    • 47,260 Posts
    • 169,931 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope all is well

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 22nd Jul 17, 8:19 AM
    • 1,885 Posts
    • 8,556 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    a wanderer returns
    Hope all is well
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks for checking on me beanielou. I am fine. I went away for my week in Oxford but I am back now. The environment of the university is so beautiful. My creativity is boosted I shall miss it.

Money was an issue so whilst at Oxford so I cut out one or sometimes two meals a day.
    I front loaded with an enormous breakfast of fruit and yoghurt followed by scrambled eggs, bacon and mushrooms. I took an apple and ate it at lunch with some nuts and I also ate raw veggies and humous on a few of the days when I felt very hungry. I ate lunch with a colleague one day as she wanted to meet and another day we all went out to eat but I suggested Le0n as I had a voucher for a free meal.

I walked everywhere, not even getting a bus back to the station when I went home

The upshot is I stuck to a small budget with no problems and I lost 4lbs this week

There are lessons to be learnt. I eat too much. That is why I am fat! I am grown already so I no longer need three meals a day and I do so much better with a cooked high protein breakfast every day. I can do this 4 days a week but the other 3 days dictate I leave home early, maybe I’ll try a very early breakfast on those days?

This morning I am unpacking, pottering, cooking, staying close to home, phoning people, organising and goal planning...I have made soup (lentil, spinach, tomato) and toasted some nuts and seeds with rosemary and oregano.

I spent £15 on food in Lid1 on my way home last night. On the train I made a list and a menu plan. This shop should see me through to pay day. I will make a veggie curry for the fridge and a frittata with sweet potato and red onion this morning.

Pay day is approaching. So looking forward to being in the 7,000s

I am going to catch up on diaries this morning but I hope you have all been hanging on in there (as the Americans I have spent the week with might say)

Have a lovely weekend everyone
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 23rd Jul 17, 7:57 AM
    • 1,885 Posts
    • 8,556 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    goals
    Morning campers

I have a voucher for £5 off a £30 shop before 30th July. Usually I would jump on that to save money. This time I am ignoring it. I am using what I have this week and do not want to spend in order to save. My food spending continues to be ridiculous for one person so I trying yet another strategy. No big shops.

Goals for this coming week…

My frog for next week is to open a credit union account. I have been talking about this year for a year. Time to do it! Saving in my own bank has not worked as I simply transfer it back and spend it. I need to create an emergency account and make it a little more difficult to access.

My financially fit for the future task is to set a price for my private work.

My investment in health and wellbeing task is to go to the health shop and obtain the best vitamin and mineral supplements to meet my health needs, then buy a pill box to organise taking them.

My treat of the week will be an evening out with friends at a bar overlooking the river. I have budgeted £10 for this. I already paid £5 as a deposit to the organiser so £10 should be fine

My written correspondence of the week will be cancelling a monthly subscription

Happy Sunday reader
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 23rd Jul 17, 8:49 AM
    • 2,162 Posts
    • 13,639 Thanks
    parsniphead
    What a lovely couple of posts DIA. Oxford is lovely isnt it. I'm glad you had a nice time. The ' I eat too much thats why im fat' comment made me laugh and also hit home.

You have a good list to work through. Get that account opened. Did you ever put in a PPI claim for the mortgage. I didnt but will when i get more printer ink this week.

Enjoy your week.
    My August to Christmas challenge:.
    Pay off £2500 debt - £806/2500 32.24%
    Completely declutter the house by Christmas day...all of it.

Nothing should be wasted on the self-sufficient holding. The dustman should never have to call. John Seymour
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 23rd Jul 17, 8:22 PM
    • 1,222 Posts
    • 3,203 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Glad you had a lovely creative week DIA

With regards to your breakfast, have you tried overnight oats? Or making a batch of protein pancakes for the freezer then just popping them in the toaster in the morning?

I love that last goal post.....all achievable I reckon. Have a fabulous week x
    Debt April 2015 - £6895.44 Debt April 2017 - £2500 May - £1455 Aug - £960
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £254.52
    Every penny is a prisoner
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 23rd Jul 17, 8:50 PM
    • 47,260 Posts
    • 169,931 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad Oxford was good
    Loosing 4lbs was good though maybe not the best way to do it?

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 24th Jul 17, 11:44 AM
    • 1,196 Posts
    • 3,721 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Morning DIA - I was wondering why I hadn't seen your name pop up much lately. Glad you had a good time in Oxford, although I agree with beanielou, missing meals really isn't the best way to lose weight and stay healthy but you'll know that I'm sure.

In terms of opening a credit union account, I'm sure I've talked about mine quite a bit over on my own diary but I save really well in my credit union account. I don't put a lot in there, but because I don't log in every day like I do with my bank accounts, it's almost forgotten money.

I have a standing order for £100 per month that goes to my credit union account - £50 goes into my Christmas saver which is inaccessible until it pays out a lump sum in November, and the other £50 just goes into my standard CU account. From memory, I think I have £300-400 in there but I don't treat it as available money. Just keeping it tucked out the way and allowed to build up gives me comfort that there's a cushion there. I'm sure at some point we'll use it for something but for now I'm happy to keep it as a separate wee pot.

Have a great week!
    CC1: 3,774.32/4,200 | CC2: 5,077/5,393 | Loan: 7,430/15,000
    Total: 16,292.57/20,032 Paid since Feb17: 3,739 or 18.66%

Mummy of two boys - Working hard to make better financial choices!
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 25th Jul 17, 9:59 PM
    • 1,885 Posts
    • 8,556 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    In terms of opening a credit union account, I'm sure I've talked about mine quite a bit over on my own diary but I save really well in my credit union account. I don't put a lot in there, but because I don't log in every day like I do with my bank accounts, it's almost forgotten money.
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    Thanks JoJo. I hope to emulate your success with my CU account
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 25th Jul 17, 10:01 PM
    • 1,885 Posts
    • 8,556 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Glad Oxford was good
    Loosing 4lbs was good though maybe not the best way to do it?
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks beanielou, I know what you mean but the jury is out for me on missing meals. I’m not sure I need three meals a day. I need more than one for sure but maybe two meals and a snack is enough for me. What I know for definite is I currently eat too much food and I want to eat less!
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 25th Jul 17, 10:02 PM
    • 1,885 Posts
    • 8,556 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Glad you had a lovely creative week DIA

With regards to your breakfast, have you tried overnight oats? Or making a batch of protein pancakes for the freezer then just popping them in the toaster in the morning?

I love that last goal post.....all achievable I reckon. Have a fabulous week x
    Originally posted by Orange Ena
    Thanks Orange Ena, I like the idea of overnight grains, maybe quinoa for the protein, with seeds?
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 25th Jul 17, 10:04 PM
    • 1,885 Posts
    • 8,556 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    You have a good list to work through. Get that account opened. Did you ever put in a PPI claim for the mortgage. I didnt but will when i get more printer ink this week.
    Enjoy your week.
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    Thanks Parsniphead, you guys have such good memories I thought I'd take an easy win for my written correspondence of the week as the PPI seemed too stressful, but it is a potential big win so I must tackle this during August. We can both do it.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 25th Jul 17, 10:08 PM
    • 1,885 Posts
    • 8,556 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    into the 7,000s :)
    My debt is now £7,950. I am expecting some money from other job next week so I can make another payment soon too
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 25th Jul 17, 10:08 PM
    • 47,260 Posts
    • 169,931 Thanks
    beanielou
    I cant remember who my mortgages have been with

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 25th Jul 17, 10:10 PM
    • 47,260 Posts
    • 169,931 Thanks
    beanielou
    Oh just fab news on being in the £7,000's

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 25th Jul 17, 10:14 PM
    • 1,885 Posts
    • 8,556 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Aww thanks beanielou. It is fab news
    Wondering if you can check with your bank who you have made payments to re your mortgages over the years or have you changed banks too?
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,666Posts Today

7,754Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @KCMurdarasi: @MartinSLewis Only 2 fluently, but I can struggle by in another 5 or so. And ask the way to the toilet in about 10 - you d?

• Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• Follow Martin