Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    • 2,098Posts
    • 9,702Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Dancing in the Rain
    • 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    Dancing in the Rain 14th Jan 16 at 5:50 PM
    Four years ago I was transitioning from freelance creative work to being an employee. I had rising debts because my outgoings exceeded my rubbish freelance income and I couldn't find a job. My home had repairs I couldn’t do. I felt as if my life was in a downwards spiral.

There have been/will be changes good and not so good and these changes have prompted my new diary.

GOOD CHANGES:

I’ve made some progress on emergency repairs and now have a wonderful new boiler (so I am warm!)

I work for a brilliant charity and have done for the last 3.5 years. I know I could earn more, but I enjoy my work, I do something worthwhile and it fits in with other things I want to achieve that are equally important to me. They are now agreeing (from March 2016) to me working full time with 2 days working from home. This is a work balance that will allow me to be creative, and improve my income so I can achieve my 2016 goals

This is the year I become mortgage free.

NOT SO GOOD CHANGES:

My debt has increased from £12,000 to £24,822

After much thought I have realised what my priorities should be for 2016. I want a dog and a small car and a trip to New York but those are WANTS that I can’t have, at least not this year…

I have set goals for 2016 and these goals work towards my overall plan for 2020. Each year there will be an overarching priority and 2016 my priority is HOUSE. I have a schedule of works from which I will set house goals

House, decluttering,creativity, social, house, health, finances, nurturing, environment, organisation and future self

I will also do a weekly, how I saved money this week update on Fridays

I sound frighteningly organised don’t I? This is me getting serious…but I have a real problem dealing with workmen and having them in them in my home!!!! so I'm also bit of a coward-custard deep down too

This isn’t always going to be fun, I get that. But no more putting my head down and waiting for the storm to pass. As often as I can I will get out there and dance in the rain!

Come and support me when you can
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 05-11-2017 at 7:25 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/November 2017=4,525
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Page 75
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 28th Jun 17, 8:38 PM
    • 48,510 Posts
    • 178,578 Thanks
    beanielou
    Deby coming down very nicely.
    End of the month on FRiday so not long to go
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 28th Jun 17, 8:59 PM
    • 1,239 Posts
    • 3,274 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Oh Orange Ena, I was hoping no one would remember Confession time. I am not booking the holiday as it would push my DF date too far. It would be March 18 and I am unwilling to wait until Spring to be DF. January I can take, but not March. I will be going in 2018 instead as it is a brilliant adventure and I will enjoy it all the more for being debt free
    So brussel sprouts, stuffy rooms and polite conversations whilst watching repeats on TV for me
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Ah sorry, I'm like an elephant with my memory

I can understand that, I'm reluctant to book a holiday until I'm debt free and I've saved the money via surveys. So tempting but going away guilt and debt free is a winner
    Debt April 2015 - £6895.44 Debt April 2017 - £2500 May - £1455 Sept - £900
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £327.26
    Every penny is a prisoner
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 30th Jun 17, 8:13 AM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    all good news
    Morning campers

Yesterday was a long day for me as I was out and working/travelling for job number 1 and job number 2 from 6am to 10pm. It was a good day however and I enjoyed both jobs.

I was too busy to eat properly yesterday, so this morning I had breakfast at home because my body demanded it. I had coffee, yoghurt, fruit and seeds. Then I had fish, a boiled egg, baked beans and mushrooms!

A salad packed for lunch and some fruit.

A course this morning so a later start for me

I spoke to a friend who runs a private class in the area I teach. My current class finishes in 3 weeks. I am planning to do a private class to take the place of my existing class. I will be doing it every fortnight. I will be telling the students next week. I decided they will pay the same as they do currently. It will be a much smaller class but my pay should be the same

I am looking forward to running this class as it is how I want to work from next year when I start working a 4 day week. It has arrived a little early but that is okay

Have a happy Friday everyone
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 30th Jun 17, 7:21 PM
    • 48,510 Posts
    • 178,578 Thanks
    beanielou
    All sounding good

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 1st Jul 17, 7:09 AM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    a letter
    I had a migraine yesterday. One of the signs of a migraine is excessive, sudden hunger which I had yesterday morning, so I should have guessed. However, I slept well and the migraine has been banished

Due to the migraine yesterday my manager suggested I work from home today. So I save on fares. I will be having a NSD today

I spent £6.50 on YS fruit yesterday, mostly cherries that were £1.50 instead of £4 and then I ate them all. I now have £14 of my food budget left. Keeping a tally in this way is exposing the reality of how much I spend on food.

Washing on and I will be making a veggie curry as I have lots of veggies I need to use up.

I received a letter from a fan of my creative work. It was a complimentary letter but the guy had paid to get my address (one, nine, two .com I am contacting them to get my details removed!) I taught him over 10 years ago so it bothers me that he would go so far and it feels like an invasion of privacy. Trying to let it go and take the positive from it. I lack confidence so knowing my work has impact as I transition back to creative work is a good thing.

Have a lovely day everyone
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 01-07-2017 at 7:30 AM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 1st Jul 17, 8:39 AM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 14,230 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Bad news on the migraine. I'm glad you feel better. It's not something I get but they sound very unpleasant.

That's very creepy about the address thing. I hope you're successful in getting the address removed from the site.

As a fellow creative it's very hard at times to believe how talented you are. Some people have that natural overconfidence. I'm assuming your a bit like me, whatever you do you can see where it could have been better, even when people are gushing over your work. I bet your work I wonderful.

Have a lovely weekend.
    My August to Christmas challenge:.
    Pay off £2500 debt - £1088/2500 43.52%
    Completely declutter the house by Christmas day...all of it.

Nothing gets better until you get better.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 2nd Jul 17, 8:11 AM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    As a fellow creative it's very hard at times to believe how talented you are. Some people have that natural overconfidence. I'm assuming your a bit like me, whatever you do you can see where it could have been better, even when people are gushing over your work. I bet your work I wonderful.
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    Thank you parsnip head. This reminds me of your Joan Didion quote 'I have already lost touch with a couple of people I used to be,' as I used to be a confident person
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 2nd Jul 17, 8:16 AM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    i'm in a rut
    Morning campers

I am in a rut.

I reduce my debt —work —clean —declutter —organise —cook —grocery shop —budget. I am doing well in the rut but I am bored with this routine and I want more.

I have already got wise to my time wasting. Since the start of the year I have dropped two soap operas and now watch one. From this week I will only allow myself a maximum two hours TV a day and I will have one TV free night a week.

I am not tackling the difficult tasks, the tasks that will make a real difference to the things I say are important to me, so I am going to start a few new things to shake things up:

—written correspondence of the week
    —treat of the week
    —frog of the week
    —financially fit in the future task
    —investment in health and wellbeing

So, for this coming week:

My written correspondence of the week is sending a form to get my details removed from a website/a letter to Tesco mobile/a letter to my bank

My treat of the week is meeting a friend for lunch and a gallery trip

My frog of the week is to identify a tradesman for a quote for work on my house

My financially fit in the future task will be opening a savings account for my emergency savings

My investment in health and wellbeing task of the week will be buying new trainers so I can walk more

So that is me today.

I am now off to tackle the garden for a few hours

Have a good Sunday everyone
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 2nd Jul 17, 8:46 AM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 21,137 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    I love the idea of Frog of the Week

I might steal that.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 2.02% paid House Deposit Contribution: 84% Emergency Fund: 43%

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 2nd Jul 17, 10:00 AM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 14,230 Thanks
    parsniphead
    DIA, what a brilliant idea, an amazing list. Another idea I may steal.

Have a lovely day in the garden.

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 3rd Jul 17, 11:16 AM
    • 1,242 Posts
    • 4,017 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Wow that really is a bit creepy about how easily your address was tracked down, whether it was for good intentions or not. I'd be a bit unnerved by that.

I love how you have identified that you're in a rut and have already come up with a plan to get out of it! Very impressive!

I hope that it works
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3704.32 £100.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4927.48 £100.05 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £13,932.24 (£1067.76 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £22,564.04 | Total debt paid: £1,268.01 (5.3%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 5th Jul 17, 8:23 PM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    health and wellbeing goal
    A half day off today so I could pursue of my health and wellbeing goal of buying new trainers.

I met my goal and got sports socks too so excuses have gone!

GAP had a sale. I got 2 skirts at half price and sports gear that was priced at £90 for £30. I am very pleased with all my purchases. I bought some sunblock cream for my face. It was not cheap! I paid 3 for 2 as I use it all the time. I spent a small fortune today but they were all good purchases.

I went to join the gym but I didn’t sign on the dotted line. I wanted to check a gym near to me first. I did, but their off-peak membership, although £10 cheaper, is less value overall due to restricted off peak hours. I feel so resistant to spending so much money on gym membership. However, this cannot wait until I am debt free. I am trying to stave off a long term health condition so I need to take action. There are many ways to improve fitness I know and hopefully after the year is up and my fitness has improved I can begin to find another way, but at this stage the gym despite the cost is probably the way forward.

This DF journey is making me so money conscious. I get nervous now when spending large amounts especially reoccurring large amounts of money

On the bright side the private classes I will be taking will pay for the gym membership until I am debt free and after that the membership will become less of a financial burden

I hope your day went well reader
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 5th Jul 17, 10:27 PM
    • 4,699 Posts
    • 26,529 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Isn't it really odd how scary spending becomes. Even existing commitments make me nervous.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,389.12, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,055.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £90/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 8/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 7th Jul 17, 7:47 AM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    mixed results
    Yesterday I struggled in the heat so I am very glad to be staying home today.

I told my class about the structure of the private classes and they seem very happy. I haven’t done anything like this before and I am starting to get a little nervous. I have said I will begin the classes in September.

Clothes washing done and out to dry done x2. Washing up done x2.

A (Christmas) organic turkey (£35 reduced to £3.50!) sectioned and the carcass turning into stock for soup. I am making a turkey and lentil curry to have with cauliflower rice. I have been running very low on protein and I have been eating badly AGAIN so hoping this will get me back on track. So lots of turkey and veggies and turkey salads

At the risk of boring myself and you, I am planning to join the gym in a few weeks when I am back from a short trip away. My target for attendance will be 4 days a week. I spoke to a friend about my fear of spending so much money and she said, health comes first. It does.

I achieved my weekly health and wellbeing goal by buying my trainers

I achieved my treat of the week goal by meeting a friend for a gallery trip and lunch (I used a lunch voucher)

I have 3 goals to carry over as they were not achieved

I still need to open a bank account for my emergency savings.
    I still eat my frog of the week by identifying a new tradesman and get a quote for work on the house
    I still need to write and send letters to organisations

I am not thrilled with my achievement but it is good to know what I should be working on for future success and 2/5 is better than 0/5

I have been hot and tired and I made poor food choices this week, but I made it to Friday and you did too. Roll on the weekend
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 7th Jul 17, 6:56 PM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    progress update
    I ate my weekly frog just in time for it to be ticked off my weekly list I called for a new handyman to come to put up a few things. He comes from an organisation but I will ask him if he might work privately if we can agree a price. I will also ask him to look at a few jobs to see what I should prioritise. I will also pick his brains for tradesmen he uses for his own home. I have met him before and get a good vibe from him.

So now I have met 3/5 of my weekly progress list. A bit better

My emergency fund is now £350

Lots of soup and lots of fresh stock now in the freezer

A good (if a little too hot) day

My working week ends tomorrow

Enjoy your weekend everyone
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 7th Jul 17, 7:01 PM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 14,230 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Well done on eating that frog DIA. Good tradesmen are so difficult to find.

Fantastic news about the emergency fund. It's nice when it starts to build isn't it?

Have a fantastic weekend and look after yourself.

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Jul 17, 8:50 PM
    • 48,510 Posts
    • 178,578 Thanks
    beanielou
    Well done on eating that frog DIA. Good tradesmen are so difficult to find.

Fantastic news about the emergency fund. It's nice when it starts to build isn't it?

Have a fantastic weekend and look after yourself.
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    Echoed by me

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 8th Jul 17, 10:05 PM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    frog eating
    Thanks for the positive vibes guys

I ate a frog today. It wasn’t a frog of the week it was a frog of the year. My niece had a setback and nearly died (again). It made me realise life is short and getting shorter so I called my sister who I have not spoken to for years. There are difficult family dynamics so I was not sure I would be well received, but I was

I bought my ticket for my trip to Oxford. It will be an expensive trip because although my breakfast is paid for, other meals are not. I plan on taking fruit and nuts for lunch, drinking lots of water and giving myself a budget of £10 a day

I treated myself to a paper today. I used to feel deprived when I first gave this up as a weekly treat. Now I buy a paper every few months and then only when I spend £7.10 in Waitr0se and then the paper is free

Tomorrow I am making:

A sweet potato and red onion tortilla

Tahini and lemon sauce

Roast turkey breast wrapped in bacon with veggies from the freezer and tahini lemon sauce

I am hoping for a cooler day tomorrow as I am still struggling with this heat

I hope your day went well reader
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 8th Jul 17, 10:15 PM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 14,230 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Well done for eating that frog. It's not easy to step up with family issues but you did it.

I agree with the heat thing. I'm beginning to think it's an age thing. well for me anyway.

Tahini lemon sauce. I've never eaten tahini (don't know what it is really) but lemon.... your menus make me feel so slobbish. The tortilla sounds nice.

Have a good day tomorrow.

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Jul 17, 3:06 PM
    • 48,510 Posts
    • 178,578 Thanks
    beanielou
    So glad that you ate that frog

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

154Posts Today

1,557Users online

Martin's Twitter