Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    • 1,761Posts
    • 8,021Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Dancing in the Rain
    • 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    Dancing in the Rain 14th Jan 16 at 5:50 PM
    Four years ago I was transitioning from freelance creative work to being an employee. I had rising debts because my outgoings exceeded my rubbish freelance income and I couldn't find a job. My home had repairs I couldn’t do. I felt as if my life was in a downwards spiral.

There have been/will be changes good and not so good and these changes have prompted my new diary.

GOOD CHANGES:

I’ve made some progress on emergency repairs and now have a wonderful new boiler (so I am warm!)

I work for a brilliant charity and have done for the last 3.5 years. I know I could earn more, but I enjoy my work, I do something worthwhile and it fits in with other things I want to achieve that are equally important to me. They are now agreeing (from March 2016) to me working full time with 2 days working from home. This is a work balance that will allow me to be creative, and improve my income so I can achieve my 2016 goals

This is the year I become mortgage free.

NOT SO GOOD CHANGES:

My debt has increased from £12,000 to £24,822

After much thought I have realised what my priorities should be for 2016. I want a dog and a small car and a trip to New York but those are WANTS that I can’t have, at least not this year…

I have set goals for 2016 and these goals work towards my overall plan for 2020. Each year there will be an overarching priority and 2016 my priority is HOUSE. I have a schedule of works from which I will set house goals

House, decluttering,creativity, social, house, health, finances, nurturing, environment, organisation and future self

I will also do a weekly, how I saved money this week update on Fridays

I sound frighteningly organised don’t I? This is me getting serious…but I have a real problem dealing with workmen and having them in them in my home!!!! so I'm also bit of a coward-custard deep down too

This isn’t always going to be fun, I get that. But no more putting my head down and waiting for the storm to pass. As often as I can I will get out there and dance in the rain!

Come and support me when you can
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 01-02-2017 at 10:05 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/July 2017=7,500
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Page 73
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 16th Jun 17, 5:36 PM
    • 2,085 Posts
    • 13,280 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Some inspiring post DIA. Well done on the possibility of extra work with students. They must think you're fab.

I hope you had a good day.
    Debts as of 08/07/17 Credit cards £7811 majority on 0%. Car loan £1500 my half. Mortgage £36272 remaining balance (10 yrs 2 mnths remaining - i think not). Emergency fund £500/500
    GAZELLE INTENSE AND GAINING TRACTION
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 17th Jun 17, 10:50 PM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 8,021 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    the next few days
    I have just worked my last day. Yay! 2 days off now

I have a work task to do over my non working days. I hope to complete this by Monday lunch time. Early mornings and late evenings I will tackle the garden again too

Very hot weather forecast for tomorrow and even today I struggled with the heat. I pushed myself to get some shopping on the way home from an end of term art show for degree show that I attended after work. The plan now is stay in having NSDs until Wednesday. The weather is forecast to break mid week

Since Thursday I have not been eating and drinking enough. But today I ate too much as I was over hungry. I should get back on track easily now as when I am home based I am so much better at looking after myself

Menu planning until Wednesday (featuring a little too much quinoa but I’m using up what I have…)

Main meals

Chicken, spiced quinoa and salad
    Pork, quinoa, ground nuts, veggie stir fry
    Chicken, salad veggies and bean dip and seeds
    Tempeh, baked beans, spinach and scrambled eggs

Lunch

Leek, quinoa, tarragon frittata
    Bean dip, carrots, olives, sweet peppers and parma ham
    Adzuki bean soup, olives and bean dip
    Beef burger, spinach and baked beans

I hope you are all having a positive weekend
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 19th Jun 17, 11:28 AM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 8,021 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    all good
    I have been offered an additional day WFH. I am going to leave as it is for now for various reasons but from the last week in July I will only have to go into the office 6 days a month. Not only will that save me time and commuter hell stress but it will also save me £30-£40 a month.

Sorry, I know this is all about repaying debt but I am keeping that for fun money as last time I used the unexpected pay increase that was supposed to be fun money to increase my pension contribution instead and I regretted it...

In 2018 I will lose the additional day WFH but in 2018 I plan to go down to 4 days and make up the additional income with side hustles.

Today will be NSD like yesterday

A day of organising, housework, reading and working on a project. I want to go out but the heat is too much for me.

Happy Monday everyone
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 19-06-2017 at 12:03 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 19th Jun 17, 12:15 PM
    • 2,085 Posts
    • 13,280 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Its so hard in this heat. I loved it when i was younger but now i struggle.

I hope you sorting went well.
    Debts as of 08/07/17 Credit cards £7811 majority on 0%. Car loan £1500 my half. Mortgage £36272 remaining balance (10 yrs 2 mnths remaining - i think not). Emergency fund £500/500
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 19th Jun 17, 1:32 PM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 3,522 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Good to see that you can spend some more time WFH DIA! I do love the freedom and flexibility that WFH offers me, and I know that you do to.

For example, on Friday I went to view two after school clubs after finishing at 4pm and before picking the kids up at 5pm (still picked them up earlier than normal) and today I went to Aldi before starting work (8.10am!) and ran a couple of errands at lunch. These are things that I'd normally need to either take a half day to do or fill my weekend dragging the kids around places to run errands. It's much better to squeeze them in around work and waste less time commuting, saving my weekends for fun with the kids and other things.

I like that you're putting your saved commuter money to your fun budget, that'll do wonders for your attitude i think!
    CC1: 3,774.32/4,200 | CC2: 5,077/5,393 | Loan: 7,430/15,000
    Total: 16,292.57/20,032 Paid since Feb17: 3,739 or 18.66%

Mummy of two boys - Working hard to make better financial choices!
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 19th Jun 17, 1:50 PM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 8,021 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I totally agree JoJo.

I am constantly trying to find ways of using what time I do have more efficiently. For example there’s a post office in the city that opens at 8.00am so I use that once a week now instead of queuing for ages on my day off.

Well done on Aldi. My local Aldi opens at 7am so on WFH days it is totally possible to do a shop before work without time wasting queues.

I love the idea of using 7-9am better when WFH. You have reminded me not to waste this new opportunity.

Thank you
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 20th Jun 17, 7:35 AM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 8,021 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    no more tears
    Morning campers

NSD number 3 today.

I’ve been needing an onion since Sunday but I am not going to break a NSD. In my shopping delivery due next week I have ordered frozen onions. I used to buy frozen onions but forgot about them. They are cheap, convenient, never go off, do not generate tears and you can use as much as you need.

I am a fan of frozen veggies generally. Because of my lack of iron I try and eat lots of leafy green veg. I buy (YS) bags of washed and ready to eat spinach, greens or watercress then I freeze the bag and use them often.

Cancelling my dental appointment today as I cannot bear to travel anywhere in this heat.
    I will have no choice on Thursday and Friday as I have appointments. I have been grateful to be able to stay home since Sunday.

I have £20 left but it should be fine as I get paid on Friday

Wishing you all a positive day
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 20th Jun 17, 11:47 AM
    • 46,798 Posts
    • 167,095 Thanks
    beanielou
    A positive day wished for you too
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 20th Jun 17, 11:50 AM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 3,522 Thanks
    JoJoC
    You've raised a valid point about frozen onions - I've actually never used them and now after your rave reviews I think I may try them! Do they keep a bit of consistency or do they go all mushy? I'm thinking that I'd use them in things like risotto, stir fry etc. What do you think?

I feel your pain with the heat - this morning two commuter trains were cancelled so by the time the third came along there was three trains worth of people trying to get on one already packed train. It was an uncomfortable and smelly 26 minutes, i'll tell you. And the heat isn't even that bad up in Glasgow, about 24 maybe?

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 20th Jun 17, 12:11 PM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 8,021 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Hate the heat unless there is a sea breeze a shade and a drink

Frozen onions are used straight from the freezer not defrosted. They keep their consistency perfectly. Stir fry, risotto, curries, omelettes...perfect for all. Frozen spinach is another fave as it is so easy to add to stuff without the washing, chopping faff. Also herbs that I buy fresh YS and bung in the freezer. So much nicer than the dried stuff. Give it a go JoJo
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 20th Jun 17, 1:56 PM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 3,522 Thanks
    JoJoC
    I most definitely will! I'll add the onions to the shopping list for the weekend. It's funny, I use all sorts of frozen veg but never considered onions Thanks for the tip!

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 20th Jun 17, 4:50 PM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 8,021 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    going off plan
    So there is no fruit, chocolate, nuts or salad vegetables left in the house and that should be fine as I can replenish on Thursday and yet I am feeling nervous. My hormones at the need to eat stage of the cycle, but It isn’t that I am hungry just I always like to have healthy food in the house.

I’m not sure what happened as I had an excellent food plan. I think it was just too hot to cook much so I went off plan

Anyway determined to complete 4 NSDs in a row so I will just have to get on with it.

Off to make a cup of tea

I hope you all had a lovely day
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 20th Jun 17, 5:34 PM
    • 46,798 Posts
    • 167,095 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope you are going to update your signature soon
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 21st Jun 17, 9:00 AM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 8,021 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    NSD number 4
    Morning campers

My 4th NSD in a row today. The £20 I had on Sunday I still have, so tomorrow I will feel rich as I will have a whole £20 available to spend. I will be so happy tomorrow to be able to buy some chocolate

I decluttered 2 jackets I barely wore because they were too tight. Now they fit and I don’t know why I kept them

Decluttered a Fortnum basket that has NEVER closed properly. Why keep items that constantly annoy me?

This morning I will be catching up on my ironing —I will be burning eucalyptus oil —taking stock of my freezer —cleaning my loo —steam cleaning kitchen floor.

Tomorrow I will need to face the heat and the chaos of rush hour but today I am WFH

Have a positive day everyone
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 22nd Jun 17, 8:42 AM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 8,021 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    pay day approaching
    Morning campers

I kept to my target of 4 NSDs.

Yesterday, I only did half my ironing and I did not steam the floor or clean my loo

Pay day is approaching. I usually have a flurry of debits that go out just before pay day and I hold my breath hoping they will not go through until pay day. A few months ago I miscalculated and had my first overdraft fee for more than a year. This month there is no drama and my whole salary belongs to me.

I ordered my online shop yesterday. It will arrive at the beginning of next week. I spent £75. I bought lots of frozen fish and grains as well as household necessities. I will have £75 left in cash for fresh fruits, veggies and protein. This is quite a tight budget for me. My plan is for all my fruits, veggies and proteins to be YS this month.

I not going to buy alcohol this month. It takes too much of my food budget and leaves me feeling rubbish. I have lots of fizzy water being delivered. If I feel like a treat that with sprigs of mint and slices of lemon will do me, especially in this heat

I am going to make my upcoming salary work hard this month.

I have the £20 I had on Sunday. After fares I will have £12 to spend. I will be buying a Lindt chocolate bar for £2 and then I will have £10 to spend. It feels like a lot.

Feeling kind of rich today

Have a positive day everyone
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 22nd Jun 17, 9:58 AM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 3,522 Thanks
    JoJoC
    I hope you choose something really nice to spend your £10 on! Isn't it funny how you'd easily spend £10 on junk/ nothing but all of a sudden when you haven't been spending and you're budgeting, you feel like the richest woman in the land? Fab! I hope you enjoy the decision.

Also, I think the no alcohol thing is a good idea to do once in a while, both for health and for budget reasons. I'm not really a wine drinker (the odd prosseco on a special ocassion) but I do enjoy a gin. I often get special gins as a birthday present etc so if i fancy a drink of an evening (now and again), I have a bottle of 48p tonic in the cupboard from Aldi so it's a low spend treat, rather than opening a £8 bottle of wine, which then also would encourage me to finish it rather than waste it!

Last night, my sister and my mum were round and we all had a gin with my 48p tonic, gin from the cupboard and a slice of cucumber in it from the fridge. A nice, pocket-friendly way of enjoying a drink with the family

• parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 22nd Jun 17, 6:29 PM
    • 2,085 Posts
    • 13,280 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Four NSD's in a row is amazing. It's something I struggle with even when inspired by others.

I'm another one not buying any more alchohol when tonight's lot is gone. I have drunk more in the hot weather. Fizzy water with mint and lemon sounds lovely. Another idea which may be borrowed.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 23rd Jun 17, 10:22 PM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 8,021 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I often get special gins as a birthday present etc so if i fancy a drink of an evening (now and again), I have a bottle of 48p tonic in the cupboard from Aldi so it's a low spend treat, rather than opening a £8 bottle of wine, which then also would encourage me to finish it rather than waste it!
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    Love this idea JoJo. Consider it stolen
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 23rd Jun 17, 10:33 PM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 8,021 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    into the 8,000's
    I'm back from a party. It was one of the parties where people circulate and people serve you and everyone looks polished and sounds exceptional except me It was in the gardens of a museum. I usually avoid these events like the plague but I went because a very dear friend wanted me there and sometimes I need to get over myself because not everything is about me.

Anyway, I thought on the train home how nice it would be to reduce my debt so I have. So now it is a good day because my debt has reduced to £8,882 I'm pretty sure I can get the £882 down a few hundred too. I need to think about it properly so I do not overstretch myself and end up with a miserable month ahead.

I ended up picking up a few bits at Lid1. It came to £24 True, I have a 'big shop' arriving on Sunday, but I only have £51 of my food budget left for a month

I did what I said I would do today. In my book that makes today a success
    I hope your day was a success in some way too. Happy weekend
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 23rd Jun 17, 11:04 PM
    • 2,085 Posts
    • 13,280 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I'm back from a party. It was one of the parties where people circulate and people serve you and everyone looks polished and sounds exceptional except me It was in the gardens of a museum. I usually avoid these events like the plague but I went because a very dear friend wanted me there and sometimes I need to get over myself because not everything is about me.

Anyway, I thought on the train home how nice it would be to reduce my debt so I have. So now it is a good day because my debt has reduced to £8,882 I'm pretty sure I can get the £882 down a few hundred too. I need to think about it properly so I do not overstretch myself and end up with a miserable month ahead.

I ended up picking up a few bits at Lid1. It came to £24 True, I have a 'big shop' arriving on Sunday, but I only have £51 of my food budget left for a month

I did what I said I would do today. In my book that makes today a success
    I hope your day was a success in some way too. Happy weekend
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    You want to try being Black Country girl from Dudley . ( By the way I'm proud of my heritage before anyone jumps on me, it was a joke ).

Isn't it strange how things plod along then the mind becomes obsessed on debt. There is nothing wrong with a bit of focus though.

Tomorrow will be a success tooI'm sure. Have a good weekend.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

124Posts Today

1,437Users online

Martin's Twitter