Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    • 1,879Posts
    • 8,516Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Dancing in the Rain
    • 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    Dancing in the Rain 14th Jan 16 at 5:50 PM
    Four years ago I was transitioning from freelance creative work to being an employee. I had rising debts because my outgoings exceeded my rubbish freelance income and I couldn't find a job. My home had repairs I couldn’t do. I felt as if my life was in a downwards spiral.

There have been/will be changes good and not so good and these changes have prompted my new diary.

GOOD CHANGES:

I’ve made some progress on emergency repairs and now have a wonderful new boiler (so I am warm!)

I work for a brilliant charity and have done for the last 3.5 years. I know I could earn more, but I enjoy my work, I do something worthwhile and it fits in with other things I want to achieve that are equally important to me. They are now agreeing (from March 2016) to me working full time with 2 days working from home. This is a work balance that will allow me to be creative, and improve my income so I can achieve my 2016 goals

This is the year I become mortgage free.

NOT SO GOOD CHANGES:

My debt has increased from £12,000 to £24,822

After much thought I have realised what my priorities should be for 2016. I want a dog and a small car and a trip to New York but those are WANTS that I can’t have, at least not this year…

I have set goals for 2016 and these goals work towards my overall plan for 2020. Each year there will be an overarching priority and 2016 my priority is HOUSE. I have a schedule of works from which I will set house goals

House, decluttering,creativity, social, house, health, finances, nurturing, environment, organisation and future self

I will also do a weekly, how I saved money this week update on Fridays

I sound frighteningly organised don’t I? This is me getting serious…but I have a real problem dealing with workmen and having them in them in my home!!!! so I'm also bit of a coward-custard deep down too

This isn’t always going to be fun, I get that. But no more putting my head down and waiting for the storm to pass. As often as I can I will get out there and dance in the rain!

Come and support me when you can
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 01-02-2017 at 10:05 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/September 2017=6,448
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Page 71
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 3rd Jun 17, 7:35 PM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 8,516 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    YS goodies
    Thanks JoJo I do tend to think that even when life is pants there is always something to be positive about

Well done INOD on your progress. I think sneaking in tasks between other activities makes sense and is the way forward

A good day at work. I have discovered a little Mr W shop where all the reductions coincide with my leaving work. I think I miss a good deal of the goodies but there always seems to be something left so hopefully this will become a regular thing.

yellow sticker food

gluten free ploughman roll £3.24 to 59p
    flowers £3.25 to 19p (looking at them now and they look so elegant!)
    gluten free bread £2.88 to 10p X3
    blackberries £2.10 to 54p X2
    thai basil £1.26 to 10p X3
    mangetout £1.00 to 25p

Total spent £2.16 Total price £24.11

Pleased with this little haul. The flowers look elegant in the vase, looking at them now. The Thai basil will be combined with pine nuts and olive oil and garlic to make a pesto. I don’t usually buy gluten free bread due to the price but it freezes well and I love eggs on toast so I am happy with my 10p loaves.

Happy Saturday reader
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 3rd Jun 17, 9:41 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 2,664 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    I love the positivity of your posts - even when you have something negative to say or you're not feeling the best, you always have something positive in there.

That list of achievements is mammoth! Well done! I hope you're faring well on your way to chaos-free by Friday?

Have a lovely weekend
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    Totally agree with all of this
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 4th Jun 17, 10:10 PM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 8,516 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    decluttering inroads
    I made some gorgeous basil pesto

My toothache is going, going, almost gone

On the other hand the gluten free bread did not agree with me. Very processed food seldom does. Also the mangetout was a bit past its best as were the blackberries so they were binned. A waste but a 95p waste so I am not going to lose sleep. However, I will be more cautious next time and think a bit more about what I am picking up. It is only a bargain if I use it up…

I decluttered a basket, a book, a magazine, nice cups and nine saucers, and a box
    I washed up eight times
    I made spicy chicken
    I cleaned the kitchen hob/chopping board/sideboard/sink and draining board
    i descaled the kettle
    I cleaned out the fridge, threw out old food and took shelves out and washed them

Some of my clutter is because I don’t have a central point for toiletries due to not having a proper bathroom. I’ve decided to buy a bathroom cabinet to resolve this.

I could have done better today with the cleaning considering I was home all day, but I felt the need to chill today so I did. I’m not sorry but I will need to do better tomorrow to reach my goal of a clean and happy house for Friday

And the week comes to an end so it looks like despite the chaos I made it

If you are reading this, you made it too
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 4th Jun 17, 10:20 PM
    • 4,572 Posts
    • 25,611 Thanks
    in need of direction
    my kitchen inc the table is clear - yay! horribly wet day though so laundry remains sorted and in basket to go into the machine when i can get it dried. other minor tweaks made to move things along.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £81,750.18, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £3,975.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5.5k & £200 cash.
    Current weight loss 1/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Tinkerbelle2000
    • By Tinkerbelle2000 4th Jun 17, 10:21 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 1,953 Thanks
    Tinkerbelle2000
    Hi DIA

Just caught up and I must say congratulations on the amount of compensation you have got back this year, its amazing.

Also, well done on getting into single figures. Our debts are very similar, I'm in single figures at £9911.09 and hopefully it will be all clear sometime next year.

Hope you have had a nice weekend and you are ready for the week ahead.

Tink xx
    LBM 11/08/15 - Total Debt Owing:- £10338.89 01/11/16 - £13996.57 01/12/16 - £13062.92
    DEBT 1 = £104.63 DEBT 2 = £853.00 DEBT 3 = £297.41
    DEBT 4 = £725.02 DEBT 5 = £166.10 DEBT 6 £700.00
    DEBT 7 = £1324.59 DEBT 8 = £3150.00 DEBT 9 £22419.88
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 5th Jun 17, 7:57 AM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 8,516 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Well done INOD on getting your kitchen sorted. My kitchen feels better too. It is nice not waking up to dirty dishes

Thanks for dropping by Tink it is nice to see both our debts reduce

I'm off out to buy some work overalls so I can tackle the garden. I also need a sheet as I have a guest staying at the end of the month and my sheets that lasted years have now given up. I don't skimp on sheets so it may be expensive but if it lasts as long as my old ones it will be worth it.

Wishing everyone a positive start to the week
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Tinkerbelle2000
    • By Tinkerbelle2000 5th Jun 17, 12:25 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 1,953 Thanks
    Tinkerbelle2000
    I hope you are going to be the one benefiting from the sheets lol.
    LBM 11/08/15 - Total Debt Owing:- £10338.89 01/11/16 - £13996.57 01/12/16 - £13062.92
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 5th Jun 17, 5:43 PM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 8,516 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    a spree
    I spent a lot today. A lot. Firstly the sheet was pre-washed French linen and although I got it for half price it was still £55. It is a blue-grey colour and I love it! This will last at least a decade, so I don’t regret it at all. I regret that I could not afford the duvet cover also half price for £80. If I was debt free I would have bought it. And yes Tink although buying the sheet is prompted by an overnight guest the main beneficiary will be me!

In Aldi I bought a heated cleansing cream with a muslin cloth. I used to buy the Liz Earle one but this one costs £3.99 and that is the price of a muslin cloth from Liz Earle!

I also bought some wine, fruit and chocolate so a proper spending spree…

I bought 2 extra large vacuum bags in Wilk0 so I can pack away my duvets that are currently cluttering the house. They cost £8 but I bought the cheap ones in Poundland last time and they were rubbish…hoping these are better?

I couldn’t find gardening overalls so the new plan is wear old jeans and buy a cheap cotton sweatshirt form Primarni and use that instead…which I should have done to start with really…

I am going to aim for 4 NSDs this week to balance out my spending. So no money will leave my account or my purse at all!

I hope your week got off to a flying start, off to make a cup of tea
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 05-06-2017 at 7:17 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Jun 17, 9:34 PM
    • 47,211 Posts
    • 169,596 Thanks
    beanielou
    Do you not have an old tshirt you could use fot the garden?
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 5th Jun 17, 9:47 PM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 8,516 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Do you not have an old tshirt you could use fot the garden?
    Originally posted by beanielou
    You would think so but I get rid of old clothes too quickly. I either donate or cut into rags for cleaning. I need a sweatshirt as my arms need to be covered due to nettles etc. Not that it matters as it is pouring with rain so no gardening anyway until it is dry...
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 6th Jun 17, 5:37 AM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,548 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Lets hope the rain slows soon. A bit of gardening would be nice.
    My August to Christmas challenge:.
    Pay off £2500 debt - £206/2500 8.24%
    Completely declutter the house by Christmas day...all of it.

Nothing should be wasted on the self-sufficient holding. The dustman should never have to call. John Seymour
    • Tinkerbelle2000
    • By Tinkerbelle2000 6th Jun 17, 11:18 AM
    • 552 Posts
    • 1,953 Thanks
    Tinkerbelle2000
    Hi DIA

I've sent you the spread sheet. If you can't open it let me know and if you need it explaining I'll send you a pm. It is quite easy when you get the hang of it as it balances to your bank account.

Thanks.

Tink xx
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 6th Jun 17, 6:40 PM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 8,516 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Hi DIA
    I've sent you the spread sheet. If you can't open it let me know and if you need it explaining I'll send you a pm. It is quite easy when you get the hang of it as it balances to your bank account.
    Tink xx
    Originally posted by Tinkerbelle2000
    Thanks Tink, I'll do this tomorrow when my brain is fresh
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 6th Jun 17, 6:42 PM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 8,516 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    house progress
    Today was a WFH and a NSD. I’ve been a bit unsettled, not sure why. Despite this I made progress.

House progress
    Picking stuff up from where it shouldn’t be and packing away
    Washed and reassembled blind and put up in a new place
    Cleaned a window and a shelf
    Hoovered stairs and cleaned skirting boards around stairs
    Hoovered front door area
    Washing up X3 and cleaned hob and bleached chopping board
    Cleaned toilet
    A wash load sorted and stored in washing machine

Tonight the plan is to make some veggie and halloumi kebabs on skewers for tomorrow

I think I might knock alcohol on the head for a while. Every time I drink a few glasses of prosseco I feel just awful. Alcohol doesn’t really agree with me. I’ve never been a big drinker but more and more as I get older I dislike the way it leaves me feeling the next day. I do like the social aspect of alcohol and I like the idea of something nice as a pick me up, but for now I am going to stop buying wine unless I know I have company or I am out with people.

Debt, weight, alcohol, exercise…there is always something to be monitoring and taking action on. I think I will copy Tink’s example and add a habits section to my bullet journal

Anyway, I am another day closer to becoming debt free and you are too.

I hope you had a good day reader
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 06-06-2017 at 6:50 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 6th Jun 17, 9:51 PM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,548 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I love reading your diary DIA as it encourages me to sort out my hovel, oops sorry, house.

I hope you diet starts to rub off on me too.

Debt, diet, excercise (and decluttering for me) seems to be a theme on DFW.

Tomorrow you will be another day closer to being debt free.

Nothing should be wasted on the self-sufficient holding. The dustman should never have to call. John Seymour
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 7th Jun 17, 3:56 PM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 8,516 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    getting there
    Thanks Parsniphead. My hovel lovely home is slowly improving

I have no furniture polish so I am buying some this evening. Usually my furniture is covered with ‘stuff’ so now it is clear it needs cleaning.

I made a Thai yellow fish curry. I used Lidl frozen fish and it came out absolutely brilliant. I will be making this again.

I made vegetable and halloumi veg kebabs on skewers, they came out great too. I brushed them in a smoky chilli paste. I will be doing these again as they are a healthy and delicious way of eating more veggies.

All the scarves, wraps and hats hanging around the front door entrance and coat stand have been washed and will be packed away when dry.

I am on top of the kitchen and back to flylady shiny sink standards. My loo is sparkling white inside and out.

I have been repurposing items in the house so a small cabinet I was using as a side table is now in the hall for neat storage of keys and bits and pieces. A bedside cabinet is now a small table beside the sofa

I am going to buy YS fruits and veggies and 85% chocolate and rooibos tea tonight with a £10 budget

I am WFH but it is not a busy day so plenty of time to think… Work have said no to compressed hours. I am still thinking of ways to get a 4 day week.

I think it might be good for me to go down a day and find ways of making up the 20% pay loss with side hustles.

When you work for an organisation it is like being a caged hen and even if the food is regular, the company is cordial and you are well looked after, part of me would rather be free range despite the risk of foxes biting my head off.

I hope you have had a positive day reader
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 07-06-2017 at 4:22 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 7th Jun 17, 5:27 PM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,548 Thanks
    parsniphead

When you work for an organisation it is like being a caged hen and even if the food is regular, the company is cordial and you are well looked after, part of me would rather be free range despite the risk of foxes biting my head off.

Too true DIA.

The kebabs sound nice. I have even suggested them to DH who agreed. I may try them the weekend.

• hex2
    • By hex2 7th Jun 17, 5:41 PM
    • 4,683 Posts
    • 79,655 Thanks
    hex2
    The kebabs sound excellent, as does the fish curry.

I save for lovely bedding too, and use it till it wears out. Our years old high count cotton is so thin now that you can breathe hard and rip it but it feels wonderful. Its a 'Vimes Theory of Boots' thing for me.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Jun 17, 8:25 PM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 8,516 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    missed deadline
    My house being clear, clean and calm by Friday did not happen.
    How did you fare INOD?
    It isn’t bad and improvements have been made, decluttering done and dropped off, washing caught up on and I am on top of the washing up pile. It could be worse. But it could also be better. I will keep working on this and updating my progress as tomorrow and Monday I have my non working days.

I am overeating. I do this sometimes when I am stressed and the house is stressing me It is not bad food because I don’t eat rubbish generally. I have stopped eating crisps and my chocolate is 85% cocoa. It is just too much however…

Being out of control with the house often coincides with being out of control in other areas of my life.

The tiny pay increase I got that would have given me a little breathing space I decided to increase my pension contributions instead. I wanted to cancel it but it was too late. Checking my paperwork I realised I was now paying 19% of my salary (includes employer contribution of 8%) Next year I will contribute 1% of my pay increase so I am contributing 20%. It is quite a lot but in the long term it is a good thing.

My debt is £9,600 and my big challenge to myself is to reduce the debt into the £7,000s by the end of June, so I need to find £1,650. Wouldn't that be great

Off to check out Dave Ramsey to remind myself the importance of this debt free lark

I hope the sun shone on you today
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 10-06-2017 at 8:48 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 10th Jun 17, 9:32 PM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,548 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Enjoy the Dave time. Ive been doing a bit of Dave tonight while decluttering. He's odd but inspirational.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,022Posts Today

8,717Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin