Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    • 1,496Posts
    • 6,719Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Dancing in the Rain
    • 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    Dancing in the Rain 14th Jan 16 at 5:50 PM
    Four years ago I was transitioning from freelance creative work to being an employee. I had rising debts because my outgoings exceeded my rubbish freelance income and I couldn't find a job. My home had repairs I couldn’t do. I felt as if my life was in a downwards spiral.

There have been/will be changes good and not so good and these changes have prompted my new diary.

GOOD CHANGES:

I’ve made some progress on emergency repairs and now have a wonderful new boiler (so I am warm!)

I work for a brilliant charity and have done for the last 3.5 years. I know I could earn more, but I enjoy my work, I do something worthwhile and it fits in with other things I want to achieve that are equally important to me. They are now agreeing (from March 2016) to me working full time with 2 days working from home. This is a work balance that will allow me to be creative, and improve my income so I can achieve my 2016 goals

This is the year I become mortgage free.

NOT SO GOOD CHANGES:

My debt has increased from £12,000 to £24,822

After much thought I have realised what my priorities should be for 2016. I want a dog and a small car and a trip to New York but those are WANTS that I can’t have, at least not this year…

I have set goals for 2016 and these goals work towards my overall plan for 2020. Each year there will be an overarching priority and 2016 my priority is HOUSE. I have a schedule of works from which I will set house goals

House, decluttering,creativity, social, house, health, finances, nurturing, environment, organisation and future self

I will also do a weekly, how I saved money this week update on Fridays

I sound frighteningly organised don’t I? This is me getting serious…but I have a real problem dealing with workmen and having them in them in my home!!!! so I'm also bit of a coward-custard deep down too

This isn’t always going to be fun, I get that. But no more putting my head down and waiting for the storm to pass. As often as I can I will get out there and dance in the rain!

Come and support me when you can
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 01-02-2017 at 10:05 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/ February 2017=10,492
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Page 68
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 7th May 17, 10:22 PM
    • 1,496 Posts
    • 6,719 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Drudgery to do
    —remove old light fitting from the side of the house and bin
    —an hour of gardening (or 20 minutes if I can’t manage an hour)
    —hoover and steam clean stairs and landing
    —hoover and steam clean the bedroom
    —pay gas bill
    —menu plan from what I have
    —ironing
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    A spectacular fail as barely anything from this list can be ticked off Ah well...tomorrow is another day...
    Good night everyone
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th May 17, 8:03 AM
    • 46,059 Posts
    • 162,667 Thanks
    beanielou
    We don't fail.
    We just don't always manage at this moment in time.
    Hope you have a good day.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 9th May 17, 9:23 PM
    • 1,496 Posts
    • 6,719 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Loooonnnnnnggggg
    Keeping a diary leaves no place to hide does it?

So, 2 weeks ago I was in the position of having a minimal amount of money to last until pay day and guess what I am in exactly the same position again. So I have 16 days to pay day and £60 to get me there.

I am obviously not learning the lesson.

I have taken a few days off as I have the leave and I felt I needed the days. In truth I went back to work on Saturday when I was not quite better. Anyway, tomorrow is designated a ‘get it together’ day. So cleaning, gardening, drawing up lists, menu planning and getting my head straight.

I will be starting my new bullet journal as towards the end of this current journal I have become a little slap dash. This journal will be better than the last because after filling a whole book I have a feel for what works best

I am back to work Thursday. I should be more balanced by then

I don’t know how the people on long debt repayment plans manage to keep going. I started paying this debt off in March and lately I feel it is such a loooooooonggggg thing. I know I will hang on in there until this debt has gone but…. .

In 16 days I will be below £10,000 on my debt. In single figures! Perhaps it will feel easier then?

Positives

A good thing happened yesterday. Amongst all my spending on absolute nonsense like posh chocolate I bought 2 wine glasses in a charity shop. I always buy my glasses in charity shops They were £1 each and are simple but stunning with a good weight. I love them.

I have a few things to return so another £55 there

I had my interview today and whether I get it or not I am proud of myself for identifying the role, doing the application form, passing the first interview and doing my second interview. It was a hard process. We shall see…

Back tomorrow. I hope your day went well reader
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th May 17, 12:42 AM
    • 46,059 Posts
    • 162,667 Thanks
    beanielou
    Be proud indeed.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 10th May 17, 7:00 AM
    • 1,804 Posts
    • 11,869 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Every month tKes you towards being debt free AND you are already mortgage free.

You should be very, very proud.

Keep going and make the best of your get it together day.
    Pay off debt by Christmas 2017 #22 - £1012.22/£7148.39 14%
    I have already lost touch with a couple of people I used to be. Joan Didion
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th May 17, 7:36 AM
    • 1,496 Posts
    • 6,719 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Every month tKes you towards being debt free AND you are already mortgage free.

You should be very, very proud.

Keep going and make the best of your get it together day.
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    Thanks for the reminder Parsniphead and I am determined to make the most of my day. Already done:
    Lamb and falafel burgers made
    Dishes washed
    Clothes washed and out drying on the line
    Paprika chicken prepped
    I am meal planning whist having my first cup of tea of the day.
    I hope your day goes well too
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 10-05-2017 at 8:07 AM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th May 17, 10:13 PM
    • 1,496 Posts
    • 6,719 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    falling at the final hurdle
    I found out I was unsuccessful at my second interview. I was surprised that I felt...relieved. I tried my very best to find more work, but now I will not be looking for any additional income streams. I have the teaching plus a full time job and that will have to be enough. I was not looking forward to working 6 days a week but I would have done it if I got it. Now I feel I have been given permission by the universe to stop.

So the question is what happens now? well I am going to sell my bike this year. That should generate a few hundred pounds.

I am also back to paying £1,050 a month instead of £800. So I need to get a grip with my shopping for food again as this is where I overspend. I have done better by using cash but I am still overspent on my food budget

I am thinking about switching from Ocado to Asda and getting a fortnightly shop instead of a monthly shop. The same spent but distributed differently. It might keep me out of the shops

My DF date will now be January 18 and not December 17. I will deal with any feelings of disappointment and move on

So it is back to the drawing board for me as I will not be working in a third job.

In other news I heard from Tesco Mobile with a 'sincere apologies' for my experience and promising to resolve the issue within 7 days. I hope they are not stalling me.

I taught tonight. It is going so well. I enjoy it (and it pays three/four times per hour the amount of the job I did not get. )

I got through the ups and downs of today. I hope you did too
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th May 17, 10:26 PM
    • 46,059 Posts
    • 162,667 Thanks
    beanielou
    Boo to job but have to say most likely for the best to be honest.
    Hope Tosco mobile get tnhings sorted out.
    Did you ever hear from the bank of doom?

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th May 17, 10:31 PM
    • 1,496 Posts
    • 6,719 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thanks beanielou, I think you are probably right...it is for the best...
    The bank of doom sent a holding response and are investigating my complaint.
    I hope your day was more up than down
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • hex2
    • By hex2 12th May 17, 11:07 AM
    • 4,644 Posts
    • 79,223 Thanks
    hex2
    Sometimes you only know what you wanted when you hear the outcome. Don't forget the value of your free time as well.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 13th May 17, 3:48 PM
    • 1,178 Posts
    • 2,944 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Sorry to hear about the job DIA but if your first reaction was relief then I'm happy you didn't get it. Yes you would have done it but you may have grown to resent it. And you do already have your teaching job as a second income, more than enough I'd say.

Please don't be disappointed that your DF is a month extra to what you had planned. You have done incredibly well to get where you are, to get mortgage free etc. One month extra is nothing compared to the rest of your life living without debt and without owing anyone a penny. That's pretty amazing. Think of all those choices you will have. Save? Spend? Work less? All options that you'll have when you're debt free in 7 months from now
    Debt April 2015 - £6895.44 Debt April 2017 - £2500 May - £1455
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £93.98
    Every penny is a prisoner
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th May 17, 9:38 PM
    • 1,496 Posts
    • 6,719 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Sometimes you only know what you wanted when you hear the outcome. Don't forget the value of your free time as well.
    Originally posted by hex2
    Thanks hex2
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th May 17, 9:40 PM
    • 1,496 Posts
    • 6,719 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Sorry to hear about the job DIA but if your first reaction was relief then I'm happy you didn't get it. Yes you would have done it but you may have grown to resent it. And you do already have your teaching job as a second income, more than enough I'd say.

Please don't be disappointed that your DF is a month extra to what you had planned. You have done incredibly well to get where you are, to get mortgage free etc. One month extra is nothing compared to the rest of your life living without debt and without owing anyone a penny. That's pretty amazing. Think of all those choices you will have. Save? Spend? Work less? All options that you'll have when you're debt free in 7 months from now
    Originally posted by Orange Ena
    Thank you Orange Ena, for reminding me of how far I have come. I am so looking forward to taking all those choices at once!
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th May 17, 9:41 PM
    • 1,496 Posts
    • 6,719 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    same cake, sliced differently
    Today was fine. I took breakfast, lunch and snacks in to the office. I get fed up with carrying so much stuff but it does save money and ensures I eat properly

Food planning
    So, with eggs for breakfast and enough fruit to last 5 days the following should take me up to Wednesday when I can do another food plan…

Chicken and butter beans in feta and tomato sauce, celeriac mash and steamed green beans

Chickpea wrap (bacon, rocket and tahini sauce)

Chicken, avocado salad with butter beans and beetroot humus

Mushroom pate, salad and toasted chickpea bread

Chickpea wrap (beetroot humus, avocado and rocket salad)

Tomorrow
    It is so nice not to have to go to work tomorrow. It has been a struggle as I recovered from being poorly but I made it and tomorrow I will be having a chill day

Health
    I need to find a way within the budget I have to maximise my health and wellbeing. My gym membership will be costly. Yes, I know I can walk and run do all sorts of free things, but having a space I can go to for swimming, yoga and fitness classes works best for me. Lately it has become obvious that my health needs addressing so June will be the month I join the gym again. I’ve been saying this since March! Must do it!

I have a dental appointment in June so I need to find £75 to cover that

I keep saying I need glasses and I do. I read of people choosing between eating and heating and I feel sympathy until I realise I too make similar choices all the time. In June it is my teeth or my eyes. Not having much money takes up so much head space. That is why this diary is so important to me.

Happy Saturday MSE folk
    DIA x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 16th May 17, 10:44 AM
    • 1,496 Posts
    • 6,719 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    it is all progress
    I paid £45 off my debt today because I had it in my ‘house’ account because I did not do anything on the house this month. This brings my debt down to £10,447.00

I gave my friend £50 yesterday to hold for me so we can have a treat for her birthday when we meet up at the end of June. Getting rid of my debt is important but friendships are also important and this is a very dear friend with a special birthday. She did something wonderful that I could not be part of this time. We planned something nice for this time next year when I will be debt free and there will be more money.

I made lentil and rocket soup with bags of rocket that were reduced from £1.35p a bag to 15p

I am defrosting one of my Christmas turkey joints for protein, but today I will make do with soup.

I bought shop made stock but it was £2 and not organic so expensive I thought? Next time I will do my own but in bigger batches.

I make loads of soup so next time I go to IK3A I will buy a big pot. I will also buy a huge bag of lentils as I use them a lot. I will stake out the ethnic shops. The plan is to make soup once a fortnight instead of every 3/4 days. I can also do pot roasts with larger joints. This should all save on gas and time.

I went on to the A3da website and it isn’t any cheaper than Ocad0 although delivery costs £1 cheaper at A3da. So, not swapping

I am beginning to resent my head being full of all this money saving stuff. I was thinking next year will be easier and it will, but I will be using the debt amount on saving for a new bathroom so not much different really.

I have options. I am doing this. It is all progress. It is all good.

Have a good day reader
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 19th May 17, 10:49 AM
    • 1,496 Posts
    • 6,719 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    lid1 vouchers
    I have stayed off the forum for a few days due to computer issues, but I am plodding along.

I heard back from the rubbish bank who I complained to. They have now resolved the complaint and sent me £50 too. I plan to use this on a large stainless steel pot so I can save money and time and fuel by making huge batches of soup that I will freeze

I used to spend over £5-£6 on aluminium and paraben free deodorant from a health shop. I have found a substitute for £2 (£1.50 on offer). My face wipes are 65p instead of £2.50. I find toiletries/cosmetics are where I have been able to make changes without any compromise on quality at all.

My Tesco mobile fiasco is still outstanding despite a letter 10 days ago stating they will resolve this issue within 7 days ago. A bill came today so I need to get back on to them again

My spending hasn’t been great on food and day to day bits and pieces AGAIN. Sigh.

Decluttered (bin) a pair of shabby shoes after walking in the rain and ending up with wet feet.

Lid1 have vouchers for £5 off for a £30 spend so my plan is to cancel my Ocad0 shop and use 2 vouchers with the £10 I save for a taxi home

I taught last night. I am loving my teaching role

My chest infection has almost gone. Maybe that is why my mood is improving, or maybe it’s because I know it is pay day next week

I hope your week is ending well reader
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 19th May 17, 11:03 AM
    • 1,804 Posts
    • 11,869 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Good to hear that your chest infection is nearly gone.

I feel your pain with the money on the brain constantly thing but you are heading in the right direction. In a few months you will be in an amazing position.

Enjoy the big soup pot when you get it. There is nothing like homemade soup.
    Pay off debt by Christmas 2017 #22 - £1012.22/£7148.39 14%
    I have already lost touch with a couple of people I used to be. Joan Didion
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 19th May 17, 11:28 AM
    • 864 Posts
    • 2,626 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Glad your chest infection is almost gone – that’ll be one less thing to think about!

I hope you enjoy selecting a lovely big pot for your soup? Sounds like a lovely treat, but a practical one. I invested £17 in a tall pot from Aldi a couple of months ago and it’s been great. It was very similar to one my parents bought in France years ago and I’ve always lusted after it so was a great find, and surprisingly good quality too. Enjoy!
    Mummy of two boys - Working hard to make better financial choices!
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 19th May 17, 9:37 PM
    • 1,496 Posts
    • 6,719 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thanks JoJo and I wish I had seen the tall pot in Ald1
    Thanks for the encouragement Parsniphead. One day our heads will be full of things other than balancing budgets. Won't that be nice
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 20th May 17, 7:04 PM
    • 1,496 Posts
    • 6,719 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    YS bargains
    A good day at work but trains not running led to higher than average fares

I kept lunch costs to £1.80 by eating a YS lunch and drinking coffee in the office

So, my freezer is rapidly emptying out and I rely on it to keep my food bills low. Today I went YS hunting on my way home from work.

filleted chicken thighs 4.54 4.70 reduced to 1.49 and 1.49
    organic chicken breasts 6.82 to 1.16
    a whole free range chicken 6.95 to 2.25
    tomatoes 1.75 to 79
    pears 3.14 to 65 (X2)
    organic kiwis 1.10 to 55 (X2)
    blackberries 2.10 to 54 (X2)
    antipasti 3.70 to 94

I am pleased as I could have picked up other stuff but I stuck to fruits and lean healthy protein. I also put back stuff that could not be freezed. So, £41.14 for £11.62. Go me

I looked up frozen fish from Lid1 and they have a fair range so there is no reason I cannot cancel my Ocad0 shop and use Lid1 this month.

There is so much my salary needs to do for June and I want to eat healthily and well but I need to watch my food spend if I am to reach my goals

I hope your Saturday was a good one
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,549Posts Today

8,787Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin