Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    • 1,419Posts
    • 5,867Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Dancing in the Rain
    • 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    Dancing in the Rain 14th Jan 16 at 5:50 PM
    Four years ago I was transitioning from freelance creative work to being an employee. I had rising debts because my outgoings exceeded my rubbish freelance income and I couldn't find a job. My home had repairs I couldn’t do. I felt as if my life was in a downwards spiral.

There have been/will be changes good and not so good and these changes have prompted my new diary.

GOOD CHANGES:

I’ve made some progress on emergency repairs and now have a wonderful new boiler (so I am warm!)

I work for a brilliant charity and have done for the last 3.5 years. I know I could earn more, but I enjoy my work, I do something worthwhile and it fits in with other things I want to achieve that are equally important to me. They are now agreeing (from March 2016) to me working full time with 2 days working from home. This is a work balance that will allow me to be creative, and improve my income so I can achieve my 2016 goals

This is the year I become mortgage free.

NOT SO GOOD CHANGES:

My debt has increased from £12,000 to £24,822

After much thought I have realised what my priorities should be for 2016. I want a dog and a small car and a trip to New York but those are WANTS that I can’t have, at least not this year…

I have set goals for 2016 and these goals work towards my overall plan for 2020. Each year there will be an overarching priority and 2016 my priority is HOUSE. I have a schedule of works from which I will set house goals

House, decluttering,creativity, social, house, health, finances, nurturing, environment, organisation and future self

I will also do a weekly, how I saved money this week update on Fridays

I sound frighteningly organised don’t I? This is me getting serious…but I have a real problem dealing with workmen and having them in them in my home!!!! so I'm also bit of a coward-custard deep down too

This isn’t always going to be fun, I get that. But no more putting my head down and waiting for the storm to pass. As often as I can I will get out there and dance in the rain!

Come and support me when you can
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 01-02-2017 at 10:05 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/ February 2017=10,950
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Page 65
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 19th Apr 17, 4:41 PM
    • 809 Posts
    • 2,357 Thanks
    JoJoC
    No one can say that you're not putting in the effort DIA! There's no harm in applying and then if you're in a position of being offered the role, you can properly weigh up the options.

Your DFD is December 2017 and actually, that's not a long time away so if you feel like it's all getting a bit too much then you can give something up at the end of the year (or get yourself straight onto that four day week that you've been craving!).
    Mummy of two boys - Working hard to make better financial choices!
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th Apr 17, 8:59 PM
    • 45,908 Posts
    • 161,411 Thanks
    beanielou
    TReat jar sounds good
    Did you hear back from the bank at all?
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 19th Apr 17, 9:25 PM
    • 3,142 Posts
    • 7,868 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Treat money is a definite... I used to just have £20 a month Fun Money and it really helps to have even just a little leeway for silly spends.

However I am a bit concerned that it looks like you are signing up for 6 day weeks? I've been there and I know it sounds doable to only have one day free but can I suggest you leave yourself an exit option - it can be really exhausting. And there's no fun being DF if you're too wiped out to enjoy it

Rosa xx
    Proud to be dealing have dealt with my debts - DEBT FREE May 2016
    DFW Diary - Balancing not just the budget
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4398229
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 19th Apr 17, 10:04 PM
    • 1,419 Posts
    • 5,867 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thanks Beanielou, the bank wrote to me and asked me to phone but I sent them a letter saying I would rather any communications are done in writing so I am waiting to hear again

Thanks Rosa I did a 6 day week before I started my diary and it was indeed tiring. It will be for a short time, probably 6 months by the time I start (if I get it) and then when I am DF like JoJo says I can begin to prune away my jobs and keep what I like. I might even go straight to a 4 day week

I just know unless I really go for this I won't make my DF date...
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 19th Apr 17, 10:55 PM
    • 3,142 Posts
    • 7,868 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Thanks Rosa I did a 6 day week before I started my diary and it was indeed tiring. It will be for a short time, probably 6 months by the time I start (if I get it) and then when I am DF like JoJo says I can begin to prune away my jobs and keep what I like. I might even go straight to a 4 day week

I just know unless I really go for this I won't make my DF date...
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    I do understand you want to get there asap DIA, but that date is within your control - in both directions. Have you also thought what your other options are, eg if you stick with your original plan and have £1500 or so to sort out after that date it wouldn't take long or you could have a break and do it over a few months. Or you could build in a review schedule so that you can check if you are wiped out and want to step back a little?

I don't mean to sound negative, but having run myself into the floor several times I don't want to watch anyone else make my mistakes!

Rosa xx
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 19th Apr 17, 11:09 PM
    • 1,419 Posts
    • 5,867 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thanks Rosa. I might not get the job anyway. If I do, I should be fine for 6 months or so. I have lots of holiday and lots of WFH days that should make it less arduous. I appreciate your concern but if it doesn't work for me I can always stop doing it.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 20th Apr 17, 8:01 PM
    • 1,419 Posts
    • 5,867 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    golden salmon mousse
    I just had the most ridiculous supper. MnS salmon mousses sprinkled with edible gold in a mini scallop shell. They were £5 for 10 of these little things. I paid 60p. So much packaging. They tasted nice on YS gluten free bread, and I will pack some with salads for my lunch tomorrow.

A weird day. I had a day off and did a little bit of gardening. I have decided little and daily is the way to go with my gardening. I read a little, picked up bits and pieces in MnS, washed my hair. I went to Lidl for cheap face care products and dental floss. Did a bit more of my application form. Blah, blah. Nothing exciting…

I am in the office tomorrow

I will take a piece of fruit and some nuts in for breakfast, a flask of decaf and a salad for lunch. I will even take in a few squares of chocolate. I am determined not to have a spendy day tomorrow just because I am away from home

I hope you have had a good day reader
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 20th Apr 17, 8:30 PM
    • 2,330 Posts
    • 18,697 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    How glamorous DIA Sounds delicious.

Fortune x
    Moving Costs: 73% Mortgage: 25% remaining House Deposit Contribution: 56%

"It is possible to move mountains by carrying small stones."
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 21st Apr 17, 11:20 AM
    • 809 Posts
    • 2,357 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Fancy lunch, indeed! Not such a fancy cost, though. Wow! Enjoy!
    Mummy of two boys - Working hard to make better financial choices!
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 21st Apr 17, 8:39 PM
    • 1,419 Posts
    • 5,867 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    wild abandonment
    Although I am back on track, this period of wild abandonment has cost me dear. For the first time in many months I will be overdrawn this month and I have run out of money. I have £2 and my coppers jar to last until Tuesday. Luckily, I am WFH tomorrow so no fares or lunch and Sunday and Monday I do not work. The worst my overdraft can be is £18 and it may be less but what a pointless waste of money.

What will I do on my 3 NSDs?
    [LIST][/LIST
    --]Garden

--Declutter

--Batch cook

--Cleaning

--Creative work

--Start a new book

--Finish my job application.

--Write to the ombudsman and send the same letter to The Guardian consumer champions and You and Yours regarding Tesco mobile

Oh, a new challenge for me. I think I have mice in the loft. Talk about, if it aint one thing it’s another. So in 3 days when I have some more money I will address that That's why an emergency find is a good idea

So, that is me as another week draws to an end

I hope your week ended well reader

DIA x
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 21-04-2017 at 8:53 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 21st Apr 17, 8:50 PM
    • 45,908 Posts
    • 161,411 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sometimes we just need to have a wee blow out.
    Try to not beat yourself up too much.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 21st Apr 17, 9:05 PM
    • 3,142 Posts
    • 7,868 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    It's a journey... you have made so many steps forward, an occasional back step is OK.

Adopting a moggy would sort any mice issues...

Rosa xx
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 21st Apr 17, 9:33 PM
    • 1,419 Posts
    • 5,867 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thanks Rosa and Beanielou,

You are both right and thank you for your support. I am already putting it behind me. It is okay. I went off course and now I am back on course.

Because I have had health issues lately I am grateful that I have felt well all week. And my niece is out of the danger zone for now, so although being overdrawn isn't nice, it really isn't the biggest deal. I am doing my best (and will do better this next month) and it is probably stress that caused the blow-out in the first place.

I only have a few days before money comes into my account so all will be well

I must admit Rosa I don't fancy a cat. I'm much more a dog person when the time is right, so I'll find another way to deal with mice (fingers crossed they are mice!)
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 22nd Apr 17, 7:49 AM
    • 1,419 Posts
    • 5,867 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    A NSD today
    I have woken up refreshed despite drinking some red wine last night.

Lucky me WFH today. I do enjoy being at home on Saturdays. It is a NSD so I won’t be buying a paper and having a coffee out but that will make it more enjoyable when I next do that

Made a chilli this morning with lots of fresh basil, adzuki beans instead of kidney beans and lots of fresh chilli. I had a little bit of red wine left over from my silly spending so I threw that in and it smells lush

Washing machine on

Rubbish and recycling sorted

2 books decluttered

Read meters for new fuel provider ready to call in at 9.00

Washed dishes

Off to telephone my niece to see how she is doing

I will check back in this evening to account for my day.

Have a good day reader
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 23rd Apr 17, 9:07 AM
    • 1,419 Posts
    • 5,867 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    more veggies but no labels
    Yesterday was a NSD and a WFH day

I have been eating badly for a few days so a complete overhaul was due. I cooked a beef chilli that I could not eat. It is official I am ‘off’ red meat

I came to the realisation that I want to be mostly veggie again. It isn’t a moral stance and I will keep eating small amounts of dairy such as organic sheep’s milk yoghurt and sheep and goats cheese. I already don’t use cow’s milk products or drink milk.

I will eat organic poultry and wild fish but both are expensive, so not often.

I spent yesterday looking through my cook books for veggie recipes that are low carb and high iron (my iron issues are improving but are not resolved but red meat is not my answer)

Over yesterday and today I found 3 books to declutter (and decluttered a beautiful glass by breaking it)

I phoned in my fuel readings to my new provider

Today, I have washed 2 sets of washing and out on the line.

I’ve toasted seeds and nuts

Another NSD for me today. I am planning a good few hours gardening, some cleaning and other house centred activities.

I’ll be back later to account for my day

Have a lovely Sunday everyone

DIA x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 23rd Apr 17, 12:34 PM
    • 45,908 Posts
    • 161,411 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have a good Sunday

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 23rd Apr 17, 4:43 PM
    • 1,419 Posts
    • 5,867 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    You too beanielou,
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 24th Apr 17, 10:34 AM
    • 1,419 Posts
    • 5,867 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Pushing forward
    I spent the first hour of today completing my application form for an extra income job. It may come to nothing but I have done the best form I could. The employer comes up number 18 on the list of the Times best 100 charities to work for in the UK. The work will be interesting and it will be another string to my bow. It does not have to be in until close of tomorrow but I will reread and then send this afternoon. The place of employment is about 30 minutes from where I live.

I am really interested in having lots of little ways of generating income that are interesting and reflect who I am. This job is ‘bank’ work so I will be a back-up and can say no, if I am otherwise engaged or too tired.

Yesterday was a NSD. I did not do any gardening but I did work on my application and cooked a vegan meal that made me feel hungry later as it was mostly vegetables but it was a nice light feel that you don’t have when eating meat. I will get used to it. No meat will reduce my shopping bill.

I decided to have an organic veg box again once a month and send one to my niece once a month too as she is just out of hospital. This will increase my shopping bill but no meat will compensate a bit as my meat was organic and therefore even when YS quite expensive.

Tomorrow money will arrive into my account. I have survived!! It wasn’t too hard to stop spending once I knew I was o/d. This would have been hell on a stick one year ago, so progress there I will check how much I went over by today. I still have my £2 and my copper’s jar.

I will do some gardening, cleaning, decluttering, go for a walk…Same old, same old…

My gas bill is high and I’ve used double what I used last year. I’ve worked out it is due to my slow cooker being dumped.

Happy Monday folks

DIA x
    Last edited by doingitanyway; Yesterday at 10:56 AM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 24th Apr 17, 6:54 PM
    • 1,419 Posts
    • 5,867 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    good news
    I did not do any gardening as the weather was pants so I did my chores including ironing (yawn) I went for a walk. I got a statement to see the extent of my overdraft and I was £9 in credit!!!
    So I walked to MnS (30 minute walk) and treated myself to a bottle of wine and some crisps. Bad I know but I don’t feel guilty. I walked back too saving fares and getting some exercise

Me being me I picked up some YS veggies and some chocolate too (they will debit tomorrow)

I expected to pay bank charges this month but now I will not, so I am happy

Also, my tiny pay rise resulted an extra £30 a month not the expected £25

It is the little things that bring silly amounts of pleasure isn’t it?

Hoping your Monday contained a little joy too
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 24th Apr 17, 9:40 PM
    • 45,908 Posts
    • 161,411 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great news on being in credit
    Well done on getting the application in

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

15Posts Today

3,968Users online

Martin's Twitter