Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    • 1,496Posts
    • 6,656Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Dancing in the Rain
    • 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    Dancing in the Rain 14th Jan 16 at 5:50 PM
    Four years ago I was transitioning from freelance creative work to being an employee. I had rising debts because my outgoings exceeded my rubbish freelance income and I couldn't find a job. My home had repairs I couldn’t do. I felt as if my life was in a downwards spiral.

There have been/will be changes good and not so good and these changes have prompted my new diary.

GOOD CHANGES:

I’ve made some progress on emergency repairs and now have a wonderful new boiler (so I am warm!)

I work for a brilliant charity and have done for the last 3.5 years. I know I could earn more, but I enjoy my work, I do something worthwhile and it fits in with other things I want to achieve that are equally important to me. They are now agreeing (from March 2016) to me working full time with 2 days working from home. This is a work balance that will allow me to be creative, and improve my income so I can achieve my 2016 goals

This is the year I become mortgage free.

NOT SO GOOD CHANGES:

My debt has increased from £12,000 to £24,822

After much thought I have realised what my priorities should be for 2016. I want a dog and a small car and a trip to New York but those are WANTS that I can’t have, at least not this year…

I have set goals for 2016 and these goals work towards my overall plan for 2020. Each year there will be an overarching priority and 2016 my priority is HOUSE. I have a schedule of works from which I will set house goals

House, decluttering,creativity, social, house, health, finances, nurturing, environment, organisation and future self

I will also do a weekly, how I saved money this week update on Fridays

I sound frighteningly organised don’t I? This is me getting serious…but I have a real problem dealing with workmen and having them in them in my home!!!! so I'm also bit of a coward-custard deep down too

This isn’t always going to be fun, I get that. But no more putting my head down and waiting for the storm to pass. As often as I can I will get out there and dance in the rain!

Come and support me when you can
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 01-02-2017 at 10:05 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/ February 2017=10,492
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Page 64
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Apr 17, 9:26 PM
    • 1,496 Posts
    • 6,656 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I think you should use your china! Do you have a treat meal or something that you cook every week that gives you joy? If so, i'd use the china for that I hate keeping things good and not using it so I'd say sod it and use it!
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    Thanks JoJo. The extent of my problem is vast. I probably own 100 cups all vintage. All beautiful to me. No matter how much I use I have way too much
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Apr 17, 9:31 PM
    • 1,496 Posts
    • 6,656 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    picking up again
    I’ve eaten turkey/4 bird roast at every meal for the last 4 days. Glad to see the back of it if I’m honest. I need to meal plan again as the fridge is empty (again).

I bought some flowers today: A beautiful bouquet. I dithered because although it was reduced from £15 it still cost £4.50 and this DF journey has given me an ultra frugal outlook so it seemed expensive. I also bought cake to take to take to the friend’s I am going to Saturday.

I will use my money box to pick up Aldi super six veggies. It would make sense to go for a walk in the morning to pick them up. Exercise and veggies. Win. Win.

I wasn’t great with spending today. It has to be said. Two Ner0 decaf coffees, lunch, as I forgot to bring a decent breakfast or lunch (£7.65) Some bits from the chemist (£9) Then YS flowers and YS food in MnS (£20) Fares (£7) £43.65 in total. This is a vast percentage of all I have left until pay day

On the positive side I wrote a good letter of complaint to Tesco mobile which I will send ‘signed for’ on Saturday

I wrote to my bank again about an error they made and I posted the letter

Main meal
    Smoked haddock and sweet potato fishcakes in a quinoa crust with baby leaf salad
    Spiced Mediterranean veggies with feta and coriander on quinoa
    Coconut and coriander black-eyed beans on red rice and baby leaf salad
    Chicken, butter bean mash, spinach and chicken gravy
    Beef and bean burger with sweet potato chips and salad
    Thai yellow veggie curry on amaranth with a fried egg and black sesame seeds
    Leftover day

Lunches
    Lentil and spinach soup
    Leek and potato soup
    Cheese and fruit

Breakfast
    Fruit and coffee or
    Egg on toast or
    Omelette (made with leftover Med veggies and cheese)

Feeling a bit more motivated again. Probably because I have 4 days holiday as from now!!!
    Welcome to the holidays people
    DIA x
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 13-04-2017 at 9:46 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 13th Apr 17, 11:03 PM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 3,583 Thanks
    another casualty
    Hi doing it
    This is another diary that I have started reading .
    Only on page 4
    Yoga and meditation . I'm interested, and am looking forward to how all this pans out .
    Best of luck , in whatever you do
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Apr 17, 2:00 PM
    • 1,496 Posts
    • 6,656 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Hi doing it
    This is another diary that I have started reading .
    Only on page 4
    Yoga and meditation . I'm interested, and am looking forward to how all this pans out .
    Best of luck , in whatever you do
    Originally posted by another casualty
    Thanks another casualty. I appreciate you dropping by. I wouldn't bother reading my whole diary. I can ensure you it isn't as exciting as yours. In a few years I hope to do what you have done but first I need to get debt free
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Apr 17, 2:02 PM
    • 1,496 Posts
    • 6,656 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    a little honesty
    It isn’t that I can’t do this DF mission. I can. It isn’t that I don’t want to. I do. I appreciate all the life lessons gained on the way. I do. But, sometimes I get so bleeping bored of it all

Anyway…onwards and upwards and all that…

Washed up X1 X1 X1

Made smoked haddock fishcakes. I’ve never made fishcakes before. I’m impressed. They were lush.

Cooked a batch of quinoa

Lentil and veggie soup made

I should be shopping for a strimmer part today but I can’t face a DIY store on a bank holiday. I do have to get it over the next few days so I can tackle the garden. I will get up and out early tomorrow so I am there when the store opens. I spent lots yesterday so today can be A NSD.

Now the dining room is clean and decluttered the room looks bigger and brighter. I will clean the patio doors today too…

Tomorrow I am meeting a friend early afternoon to catch-up then we are off to the theatre. I have more plans for Saturday night Sunday morning with lots of people, so quite full on. I love being social but I am a natural introvert so I need quiet days or I lose my balance. So, today I want to spend the day quietly.

My TV is getting worse. Broken aerial, broken remote control (so I use buttons at the back) and a picture that needs to warm up for an increasing lengthy time! It incorporates a DVD player so I can’t watch that at all. When it finally gives out I will have to do without a TV until after my DF date. YIKES

Burning eucalyptus oil and orange oil today

I hope your day is going the way you want it to go

DIA x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 14th Apr 17, 4:36 PM
    • 4,240 Posts
    • 23,679 Thanks
    in need of direction
    most of what's on TV is rubbish anyway
    (so speaks the eastenders addict)
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £83,478.58, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £3,415.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5.5k & £200 cash.
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Apr 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,496 Posts
    • 6,656 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    most of what's on TV is rubbish anyway
    (so speaks the eastenders addict)
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    Thanks INOD.
    I must admit I like good TV( like Broadchurch for instance). But I enjoy rubbish TV sometimes too. We all enjoy rubbish TV sometimes if we are honest. I can do without and have done, but I would rather have a TV. I don't need Sky or Netflix but a bit of Corrie or an episode of Casualty with a cup of tea after a rotten day is cheaper than drugs and alcohol and therefore very IMHO.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Tinkerbelle2000
    • By Tinkerbelle2000 15th Apr 17, 1:25 AM
    • 530 Posts
    • 1,855 Thanks
    Tinkerbelle2000
    Hi DIA

Well done on the weight loss and also how much you have got accomplished in the last few days. I hope you are feeling better and also your niece.

I'm hoping to get my diary up to date this weekend.

Have a lovely long weekend.

Tink xx
    LBM 11/08/15 - Total Debt Owing:- £10338.89 01/11/16 - £13996.57 01/12/16 - £13062.92
    DEBT 1 = £104.63 DEBT 2 = £853.00 DEBT 3 = £297.41
    DEBT 4 = £725.02 DEBT 5 = £166.10 DEBT 6 £700.00
    DEBT 7 = £1324.59 DEBT 8 = £3150.00 DEBT 9 £22419.88
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 16th Apr 17, 3:16 PM
    • 1,496 Posts
    • 6,656 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Diy
    I saw Angels in America last night and it was brilliant

Today is a different matter as my incredibly selfish neighbour chose today, Easter Sunday, to start banging on wall and drilling. It is of DIY hell for me. I thought of knocking to ask him to stop but I decided not to and to change what I am doing instead. I have stopped reading and started doing stuff whilst listening to the radio.

I am so over living in this house. Another reason why I must stick to my DF plan so I can move. Another Casualty has bravely moved and I hope I can do the same in the next 2 years or sooner.

There is no knight in shining armour who will rescue me I have to do it myself. I was reading Orange Ena’s diary and she was saying she wants to sort out her situation and to get help or find a way outside of herself would seem like cheating. That girl talks a lot of sense. I want to be in the position Fortune Smiles is in of putting my house on the market and knowing it is presentable and I am ready to go! That is my aim.

Household jobs done
    washing up X1 X1 X1
    decluttered and bleached kitchen side and cooker top
    cooked a batch of black eyed beans
    decluttered a basket.

Since writing this the banging has stopped. It might restart when he has had a cup of tea or something but just for this moment the silence is a beautiful thing

I hope you are enjoying your Easter.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 16th Apr 17, 5:50 PM
    • 2,359 Posts
    • 18,971 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Hi DIA

I wasn't confident about the state of my house before I put it on the market. The paintwork was quite grubby in some of the rooms (I hate the disruption of decorating) and the kitchen cabinets are laminate and peeling around the edges, there is a big hole in the carpet on one of the stairs where the Fotunate Cat used to scratch, etc, etc ... it's far from perfect.

However, the Estate Agents said not to change a thing and just to make sure everything was clean and tidy and that seemed to work.

How would you feel about getting an Agent round just to see? You might be surprised It was the first small stone I shifted when I started to move this mountain. Even if you can't move just yet they could advise you on what the priorities are for getting the house ready.

Feeling your pain about the neighbours. Our usually lovely next door neighbour has been digging with a digger on and off all this weekend. Just the thing for a quiet Bank Holiday

Fortune x
    Moving Costs: 98% Mortgage: 25% remaining House Deposit Contribution: 60%

"It is possible to move mountains by carrying small stones."
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 16th Apr 17, 8:50 PM
    • 1,496 Posts
    • 6,656 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    this evening
    Thanks Fortune, I will take on what you are saying. For me it isn’t a case of a little bit shabby it is a case of whole rooms not being functional so I am in a different position. When I have done the basics I will invite an estate agent to give me a quote. I won’t make it perfect but I need to do the basics so I can have a swift sale.

This afternoon and this evening.
    I’ve decluttered 2 boxes of books and they are out of the boxes, on my sideboard and 6 of them are in the CS pile. The really nice thing is there is nothing on the ground in the dining room anymore. There is something about getting everything off the floor that makes everything look so much clearer and cleaner and of course that makes it easier to clean.

After slipping up and leaving a disgusting kitchen last night, it is now spotless

DIA x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 17th Apr 17, 10:39 AM
    • 1,496 Posts
    • 6,656 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I fixed it!
    So, my garden is so overgrown the lawnmower is not possible. I needed the strimmer. I nearly threw my strimmer away as it wouldn't work with the cord gone. I then decided I could just replace the spool. Today I took the spool out so I could go to a DIY store and replace it. I looked at it and thought 'I can fix that.' So unlike me to think that.

I looked at a youtube video and it had enough wire. It just needed re threading. I did it!! I just tested it and it works! I saved my fares £5, the cost of the product, the inevitable coffee out, and my time and the boost to my self esteem is great.

Off to do the gardening!!

Go me!
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 17-04-2017 at 12:25 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 17th Apr 17, 10:52 AM
    • 4,240 Posts
    • 23,679 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Love that. I'm just starting to do stuff after years of avoiding it cos I'm not a practical person. So far, I've hung a picture albeit from a picture rail, no drilling required. I am determined and stories like yours help.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £83,478.58, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £3,415.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5.5k & £200 cash.
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 17th Apr 17, 9:23 PM
    • 3,152 Posts
    • 8,014 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Go you DIA

I also vote for using your china - when you are DF and in your next house you can have it on display and use a different cup every day of the week. Nobody else can say what brings you joy so just enjoy it!

Rosa xx
    Proud to be dealing have dealt with my debts - DEBT FREE May 2016
    DFW Diary - Balancing not just the budget
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4398229
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 18th Apr 17, 8:37 AM
    • 1,496 Posts
    • 6,656 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    gratitude
    The garden is looking SO MUCH BETTER. It is not finished by any means but regular gardening sessions should see it finished some time next week. My aim is to sit and have a cup of tea in the garden on the May bank holiday. I am very pleased about the garden as I had thought I needed to pay someone in to get it back to a manageable level and then I could manage the upkeep. Wrong. Just like fixing the strimmer myself sometimes I underestimate myself.

Yesterday I had a spending binge. £20 in MnS. I spent £1.60 on a bunch of flowers that were £16 and got YS food. Where I went wrong was buying crisps £2 and wine £7.50 and £3 bus fare as I didn’t walk. In future I will go to MnS with just £10 in cash so I am not tempted to make poor choices. I will take a ruck sack and at least walk to MnS even if I feel tired and need the bus back.

However, I saved on fares to the DIY centre and the part I would have bought so I am not going to beat myself up.

Gratitude for yesterday
    Blackbirds and Robins joining me in the garden
    The orange of a blackbird’s beak
    Bluebells
    Being strong enough and well enough to do the garden myself

Today

WFH
    I hope to do at least 1 hours gardening
    My first load of washing is humming in the background
    Burning sage, grapefruit and peppermint
    Making meatballs and spaghetti with salad. (All YS!)

Happy Tuesday!

DIA x
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 18-04-2017 at 8:58 AM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 18th Apr 17, 6:35 PM
    • 1,496 Posts
    • 6,656 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    pulling my socks up
    Electricity and gas bills that have been estimated have been read and following my readings I owe them £75.

My statement came for my debt and I have the figure wrong it is higher than I thought by a few hundred pounds. I get paid next week and I will then update my signature.

I have become complacent. I am overspending. When I get paid I will do the envelope system and will be allowing myself £75 a week. £25 for travel/£25 for food and £25 for pocket money.

I edited my shopping due on May 3rd and removed wine, posh vinegar and a second bar of chocolate. I saved £10 and the bill is now £55 for the monthly shop

I got a stupid quote that included ‘clean up’ and ‘raise ladders’ The quote disguises it is merely one tile needs replacing and is charging £80.00. I’m going to seek out a new quote.

I have added in my additional work but I will still be £1,750.00 short of my DF date in December 2017. I plan to start paying in whatever I have left over in my weekly budget.

I am going back to NSDs. NSDs for me do not mean planned spending. They mean spending nothing. No money or debits being spent at all. I am going to start as of now not spending on Sunday, Tuesday, or Wednesday.

There, that is me. Socks well and truly pulled up.
    I hope your day was a good one reader
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 19th Apr 17, 10:44 AM
    • 864 Posts
    • 2,618 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Wow, that's a committed post if ever I read one! I'm nodding my head along with most of your points...I need to seriously pull my socks up as well, but I need to think more about how to do this and how to make it work for me.

Well done on removing those luxury items from your monthly shop! Maybe you could reward yourself with the wine and chocolate at the end of the month if you manage to stick to your spending goals?
    Mummy of two boys - Working hard to make better financial choices!
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 19th Apr 17, 11:59 AM
    • 1,496 Posts
    • 6,656 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    JoJo thanks for stopping by and reminding me about the value of treats.

The chocolate was a second bar. I still have Montezuma orange and geranium chocolate in the shopping basket However, I do think I need treats otherwise I get miserable and I want to enjoy the next 8 months and not suffer unduly. I have a tiny pay increase £25 and I was going to use it to go to debt but I've changed my mind I'm going to create a fund in a jam jar of £25 a month for 'treats for **** it days'
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 19th Apr 17, 12:11 PM
    • 864 Posts
    • 2,618 Thanks
    JoJoC
    That's a great idea! And just think, if you have none of those days for a while you could save it up and have an even bigger splurge guilt free.

Your no nonsense post inspired me to attempt to get my S**T together so I've make about 40 lists on my diary to try to keep me right. I need to do something, right now there's just too much going on.

That chocolate sound divine! I have a snickers in my top drawer which im currently avoiding.
    Mummy of two boys - Working hard to make better financial choices!
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 19th Apr 17, 3:29 PM
    • 1,496 Posts
    • 6,656 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    After thinking about it most of the day I have decided I need to increase my additional income streams further. They are looking for staff willing to do at least 3 or 4 sessions a month in an organisation not a great distance from where I live. They have a reputation of being good employers. The pay is reasonable and it will bring in enough income to meet my shortfall of £1,750 and keep me on target for debt free by December 2017. I will apply.

If I get it, until the end of December 2017 I will be doing:
    --a full time job
    --3 hours teaching once a week
    --4 Saturday's teaching over a 6 month period
    --4 Saturdays or Sundays a month.

This seems achievable when written down and since I am not having any major holidays I can use my leave for regular breaks.

I might not get the job but I have to try as I will be pig sick if I don't meet my DF target.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,797Posts Today

8,204Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin