Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    • 1,588Posts
    • 7,119Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Dancing in the Rain
    • 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    Dancing in the Rain 14th Jan 16 at 5:50 PM
    Four years ago I was transitioning from freelance creative work to being an employee. I had rising debts because my outgoings exceeded my rubbish freelance income and I couldn't find a job. My home had repairs I couldn’t do. I felt as if my life was in a downwards spiral.

There have been/will be changes good and not so good and these changes have prompted my new diary.

GOOD CHANGES:

I’ve made some progress on emergency repairs and now have a wonderful new boiler (so I am warm!)

I work for a brilliant charity and have done for the last 3.5 years. I know I could earn more, but I enjoy my work, I do something worthwhile and it fits in with other things I want to achieve that are equally important to me. They are now agreeing (from March 2016) to me working full time with 2 days working from home. This is a work balance that will allow me to be creative, and improve my income so I can achieve my 2016 goals

This is the year I become mortgage free.

NOT SO GOOD CHANGES:

My debt has increased from £12,000 to £24,822

After much thought I have realised what my priorities should be for 2016. I want a dog and a small car and a trip to New York but those are WANTS that I can’t have, at least not this year…

I have set goals for 2016 and these goals work towards my overall plan for 2020. Each year there will be an overarching priority and 2016 my priority is HOUSE. I have a schedule of works from which I will set house goals

House, decluttering,creativity, social, house, health, finances, nurturing, environment, organisation and future self

I will also do a weekly, how I saved money this week update on Fridays

I sound frighteningly organised don’t I? This is me getting serious…but I have a real problem dealing with workmen and having them in them in my home!!!! so I'm also bit of a coward-custard deep down too

This isn’t always going to be fun, I get that. But no more putting my head down and waiting for the storm to pass. As often as I can I will get out there and dance in the rain!

Come and support me when you can
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 01-02-2017 at 10:05 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/June 2017=9,600
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Page 61
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 17th Mar 17, 7:45 PM
    • 1,588 Posts
    • 7,119 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Your mortgage company sounds dire.
    Hopefully more pennies your way though
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Worse than dire. It's got to the stage where I don't even want compensation. I just want it sorted for peace of mind, but I should be shot of them forever soon
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 17th Mar 17, 8:27 PM
    • 1,588 Posts
    • 7,119 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Spendy
    I had convinced myself a salad for £6.75 was okay once a week as it is quite substantial, but actually it is expensive and I’m knocking that one on the head. I will take in my own in future, but why am I learning the same lessons over and over?

The money came back for the returned bag. £145. Great, but what possessed me to buy such an expensive bag anyway?

Fares/coffee and treats for team at work/reduced flowers/a bar of chocolate/herbs/lunch A GRAND TOTAL OF £29.50 spent today

Feeling a bit disappointed in myself MSE wise today...

Tomorrow will be a NSD as I am working from home so no fares. I’ll be working but also cleaning, soup making and working on my second job material. It will be nice to just be and not spend.

I hope you had a good day

DIA x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 20th Mar 17, 9:01 AM
    • 1,588 Posts
    • 7,119 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    weight
    I have woken up this morning aware that I am slimmer. I knew it because I am wearing jeans I last fitted into in 2015 when I was on holiday but this morning I consciously noted it.

The decrease in my weight overall (it goes up and down but overall it is down) is due to some of the things this debt journey has taught me

Defer… I choose not to spend (or eat chocolate) today knowing I can do so tomorrow. I know I spend in a disappointing way (eat in a disappointing way) when I am not organised.

When I plan my spending/eating I am more mindful and maker better money/food decisions

When I spend/eat I am more mindful. I think about whether I want it really? I don’t spend or eat on autopilot as a rule. I think, will I regret the spending/eating?

I do not get it right all of the time for either spending or eating but most of the time I do and before this journey most of the time I didn’t.

I now think I can arrive at my DF date slimmer and fitter.

This morning I made some bean burgers with feta and quinoa.

It is my day off and going to do some work on my other creative job

There is cleaning to do, but sod it I am going for a 4 mile walk today to blow away the cobwebs instead

I wish you all a fab start to your week

DIA x
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 20-03-2017 at 9:03 AM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 21st Mar 17, 8:48 AM
    • 922 Posts
    • 2,840 Thanks
    JoJoC
    What a lovely, positive and inspirational post. Soubds like you're doing well on both fronts!

It's so satisfying to fit into something previously too tight so enjoy that feeling.

Hope you have a lovely day off and get to balance project work with something enjoyable.

Have a good one!
    CC1: 3,741/4,200 | CC2: 5,129/5,393 | Loan: 7,430/15,000
    Total: 16,300/20,032 Paid since Feb17: 3,732 or 18%

Mummy of two boys - Working hard to make better financial choices!
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 21st Mar 17, 8:52 AM
    • 1,588 Posts
    • 7,119 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Hope you have a lovely day off and get to balance project work with something enjoyable.
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    Thanks JoJo. It's a work day today and yesterday was swallowed up somehow so feeling a bit overwhelmed again. I have a lovely friend staying over tomorrow as we are off to a concert. I need to do nice things so will try not cancel in favour of completing my ToDo list!!
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 21st Mar 17, 12:21 PM
    • 922 Posts
    • 2,840 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Yes, you need some fun so try to relax and enjoy your concert with your friend.

I regularly have days where I achieve nothing and it's so demoralising, but try not to let it get you down. Even if you can achieve one thing from your to-do list today, that might pick you up a bit?

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 21st Mar 17, 12:25 PM
    • 46,257 Posts
    • 163,888 Thanks
    beanielou
    Agree with JoJo.
    My one job for today is to get a PAC code.
    After my marathon phone call with BT yesterday I definatly need to work up to this.Sign.
    Enjoy the concert.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 21st Mar 17, 10:58 PM
    • 4,303 Posts
    • 24,047 Thanks
    in need of direction
    I got a PAC code recently but it took me to threaten to go to of com after some little squirt told me it was his job to provide me with options and it was my job to discuss these. Haven't quite figured out which payroll I'm on!
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £82,269.82, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £3,955.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5.5k & £200 cash.
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 22nd Mar 17, 5:24 AM
    • 46,257 Posts
    • 163,888 Thanks
    beanielou
    I got a PAC code recently but it took me to threaten to go to of com after some little squirt told me it was his job to provide me with options and it was my job to discuss these. Haven't quite figured out which payroll I'm on!
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    You could not make it up

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 23rd Mar 17, 9:53 AM
    • 1,588 Posts
    • 7,119 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Leapfrog over the 11s into 10s!!
    Thanks JoJo and Beanielou, I did indeed go to the concert and spend time with my friend. It was lovely to spend time with her and I tried to be good company despite my feelings of overwhelm. We had a glass of wine too. House in too much of a state for a sleepover so I must do better there

I hope the PAC code issues have been resolved?

I am paid and I have made payments to my debt. Pleased to report a payment of £1,650. It was hard to do and is an eye-watering amount for me but it takes my debt from the mid 12s into the 10s and INOD I still have a £300 in savings due to a surprise creative work payment

Part of this sum is my cooker money which I will save again and buy it in the Autumn.

I am WFH today so should be able to get in a bit of cleaning and soup making...

Have a good day everyone
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 23rd Mar 17, 11:48 AM
    • 922 Posts
    • 2,840 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Wow - that's an amazing payment to your debt! Wow! That must feel so good I'm so impressed

Sounds like all your little extras are helping you along. What soup are you making? I have all the ingredients for Jamie's mexican tomato soup so i'll be making that on Sunday for next week's lunch. Yum.

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 23rd Mar 17, 12:05 PM
    • 1,588 Posts
    • 7,119 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thanks JoJo it does feel good but it hurts to pay so much for past me when I'd rather spend on now me or save for future me. But it is nice to see the figure at less than half it was

I'll look up the soup you mention as I love tom soup My soup is more a whatever I happen to have soup...Ha!
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 23rd Mar 17, 12:19 PM
    • 922 Posts
    • 2,840 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Yes, it is frustrating isn't it? I felt the same paying all that money to remortgage our house to pay off our shared equity company. I know it's good in the long run but I feel like we're paying for 'mistakes' that we made almost 10 years ago - if we'd just been patient and stayed at home another couple of years then we'd never have taken on shared equity...etc etc. You catch the drift.

It'd be much nicer to have that money to yourself, but before long, you'll be debt free and you'll feel all the better for being able to use your additional income how you please, be that savings, treats, holidays, A NEW BATHROOM, etc.

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 23rd Mar 17, 5:51 PM
    • 2,398 Posts
    • 19,276 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Woohoo! Fantastic progress. And that cooker will still be waiting for you to take it home when you're ready

Fortune x
    Moving Costs: 100% Mortgage: 25% remaining House Deposit Contribution: 64%

"It is possible to move mountains by carrying small stones."
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 23rd Mar 17, 9:56 PM
    • 1,588 Posts
    • 7,119 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thanks FT
    JoJo I hope I can survive another 9 months without a functional bathroom what did you decide about getting yours done?

Today I have struggled with overwhelm but I have just sorted my kitchen and work room and prepped lunch for tomorrow. Alright, boiled a few eggs then...

I decluttered a dress and some brand new jeans (never worn) and not really my style now they finally fit

In the city tomorrow so off to sort the bins ( the glamour, the glamour) and some other large items for collection.

The end of the week is nearly here and I made it You did too
    DIA x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 24th Mar 17, 9:42 AM
    • 922 Posts
    • 2,840 Thanks
    JoJoC
    We haven't decided anything about our bathroom yet...to be honest, we've just avoided making the decision. My husband hasn't yet asked his friend to give us any prices etc so I won't know how feasible it is until we know what kind of material cost it'll be. Either way, it's not on the cards immediately, but having the labour covered by a favour would be a massive discount!

Sounds like you have been nice and productive already - well done on making it to Friday!

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 26th Mar 17, 8:50 AM
    • 1,588 Posts
    • 7,119 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    menu plan
    I am meal planning as my big debt overpayment has left me with a tight month. I don't mind but I need to be the top of my food budget as unexpected spends on food and drink is where my money gets wasted.

This menu is meatier than I would ideally like but I had a YS gammon that I defrosted and boiled so I am using that as the bulk of some meals. The chicken is small amounts and more veggies really

Main meal
    Chicken, garlic mushroom, sweet potato chips and salad
    Ham, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots with miso and tahini sauce
    Thai chicken yellow curry (add green broccoli and baby corn) on quinoa and rice
    Bean pasta with anchovies and parmesan with green garlic beans
    Thai chicken yellow curry (add mushrooms) on quinoa and rice
    Ham and egg salad
    Stir fry veggies on rice and quinoa with tahini sauce

Lunch
    Ham and lentil soup with coriander
    Leftovers
    Ham salad

Breakfast
    Boiled egg and toast
    Yoghurt and kiwi fruit

I guess whatever the week brings I can eat well so I am thankful for that

Happy Sunday
    DIA x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 26th Mar 17, 12:27 PM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 6,339 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    Hello DIA. Well done on the big chunk of debt fall and getting organised on your blind spot areas. Mine is also in buying food during the week.

What concert did you go to. As someone else who struggles in crowds, I feel your overwhelm. Well done for going anyway.

MTxx
    STARTING 2017:
    Credit Card Debt: £2,650.00!!!
    ======================
    Saving For a New Property
    Pot of Gold = All gone to the above
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 26th Mar 17, 1:30 PM
    • 1,588 Posts
    • 7,119 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Hello DIA. Well done on the big chunk of debt fall and getting organised on your blind spot areas. Mine is also in buying food during the week.

What concert did you go to. As someone else who struggles in crowds, I feel your overwhelm. Well done for going anyway.

MTxx
    Originally posted by MuffinTops
    Thanks MT

I went to see a Chinese-Anglo poetry-music collaboration event. It was more for the friend I went with as she knew the poet. I am due to see Angels in America next month and I am so looking forward to it. Have you seen anything good lately?

I am pleased with my debt level although I am aware I have 9 paydays until the end of the year and nearly 11,000 debt so there is no place for complacency as I need to find 2,000 more from somewhere...

I am trying to eat from the freezer when I can this month and I am giving up coffee after experiencing severe palpitations and sickness one day this week, so that should save a few pennies...

I was pleased to read you are feeling the benefits of taking your vitamins. I keep meaning to do the same…off to take some vit D and iron.

Have a lovely day MT and everyone else too
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 26th Mar 17, 6:29 PM
    • 46,257 Posts
    • 163,888 Thanks
    beanielou
    I had angelic reiki which was interesing.
    Like you I am doing freezer eating til the end of month.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

102Posts Today

2,636Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @themiltonjones: Bother. Chucked out of Question Time.

• Hmm I meant getting radical in my last tweet - having googled 'getting rad', I may not be in touch with t'lingo... https://t.co/t538UveBuz

• Dimbleby becomes the Dimblebomb and kicks someone out. Question time getting rad #bbqt

• Follow Martin