Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    • 1,425Posts
    • 5,884Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Dancing in the Rain
    • 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    Dancing in the Rain 14th Jan 16 at 5:50 PM
    Four years ago I was transitioning from freelance creative work to being an employee. I had rising debts because my outgoings exceeded my rubbish freelance income and I couldn't find a job. My home had repairs I couldn’t do. I felt as if my life was in a downwards spiral.

There have been/will be changes good and not so good and these changes have prompted my new diary.

GOOD CHANGES:

I’ve made some progress on emergency repairs and now have a wonderful new boiler (so I am warm!)

I work for a brilliant charity and have done for the last 3.5 years. I know I could earn more, but I enjoy my work, I do something worthwhile and it fits in with other things I want to achieve that are equally important to me. They are now agreeing (from March 2016) to me working full time with 2 days working from home. This is a work balance that will allow me to be creative, and improve my income so I can achieve my 2016 goals

This is the year I become mortgage free.

NOT SO GOOD CHANGES:

My debt has increased from £12,000 to £24,822

After much thought I have realised what my priorities should be for 2016. I want a dog and a small car and a trip to New York but those are WANTS that I can’t have, at least not this year…

I have set goals for 2016 and these goals work towards my overall plan for 2020. Each year there will be an overarching priority and 2016 my priority is HOUSE. I have a schedule of works from which I will set house goals

House, decluttering,creativity, social, house, health, finances, nurturing, environment, organisation and future self

I will also do a weekly, how I saved money this week update on Fridays

I sound frighteningly organised don’t I? This is me getting serious…but I have a real problem dealing with workmen and having them in them in my home!!!! so I'm also bit of a coward-custard deep down too

This isn’t always going to be fun, I get that. But no more putting my head down and waiting for the storm to pass. As often as I can I will get out there and dance in the rain!

Come and support me when you can
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 01-02-2017 at 10:05 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/ February 2017=10,492
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Page 60
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 9th Mar 17, 8:24 PM
    • 1,425 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thanks Orange Ena. I will try and catch myself and 'pull the plaster off quickly,' in future. Sadly, I have been at the food shopping again today It's a comfort thing I'm sure of it as today was mega stressful. At least I avoided buying junk food...I'm off tomorrow so more decluttering planned...

Thanks JoJo! I know! life is becoming exciting and just a tad scarier too My hope for the next few months is not to add any more balls to juggle. Also hoping to stay well and not go crazy (crazier)
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 9th Mar 17, 8:29 PM
    • 1,425 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    ££££££
    Back in the office and no breakfast so Le0n =£4.20, lunch= £4.50, fares =£8. So £16.70 just for going to work and eating. CRAZY. MUST TAKE BREAKFAST AND LUNCH!!!!

I went to MnS after work after a rubbish day at work. I DON’T NEED FOOD and just about managed find freezer space for my haul. Ah well. It will all get eaten in the end and there are worse crimes right?

I did not buy chocolate or wine or crisps. So all good there.

So:
    coronation chicken £2.50 to 65p

goat cheese peppers £3.25 to 85p

meat free cottage pie £3.00 to 75p
    X2
    boneless lamb leg £9.00 to £3.00
    organic lamb chops £7.64 to £2.70
    X2 packs of 2 outdoor bred pork chops
    £4.38 to £1.10
    smoked salmon £4.50 to £1.15
    fresh green soup £2.50 to 65p
    X2 beef mince 5% £5.00 to £1.25
    poached salmon £5.50 to £1.40

TOTAL £59.65 BUT I spent £14.60

I did buy 2 MnS bras in the sale (I only ever buy them in the sale) I got them half price

A bit spendy today
    I hope your day went well
    DIA x
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 10-03-2017 at 8:39 AM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Mar 17, 8:11 PM
    • 1,425 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    the times they are a-changing
    A difficult but rewarding day at work today

A LSD

Today I returned the handbag I convinced myself I needed and I have NEVER USED because it is not quite everyday enough. I still don’t have an everyday bag solution but I can use the one I have until a cheaper solution presents itself. SAVED £130

The kindle I purchased will be reimbursed and instead of keeping the money it will go to my debt SAVED £70

In the past any additional money that turned up I started to plan how to spend. Now I don’t have that desire. I think hard about ‘stuff’ coming in. Do I need it? I obviously still slip up as I wouldn’t have that handbag otherwise. But my ‘buzz’ comes from watching the debt reduce now

Funny how things change…

I have a glass of wine whilst I type today. I have been deferring buying wine for weeks now. I forgot how nice a glass of chilled Sauvignon Blanc can be.

Happy Saturday

DIA x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 11th Mar 17, 8:33 PM
    • 811 Posts
    • 2,362 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Sounds like progress to me! And good work on the bag, that 130 will go a long way I'm sure!

Enjoy the wine, mine is a gin!
    Mummy of two boys - Working hard to make better financial choices!
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th Mar 17, 9:38 AM
    • 1,425 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    external stuff
    I don’t like the way I am looking right now. I am not going to beat myself up, instead I am going to make an action plan that will not cost a fortune.

Weight
    My weight has stabilised and I have lost weight but I need to get this restarted. I seem to be able to do this alone when I focus. So, the new plan is to up the fruit and veggies, take soup into work with a salad too and stay away from crisps.

Hair
    This is a bad area. Go back to hairdressers for cut, but do my own colour? Still undecided…

Face
    Do my eyebrows myself
    Book a monthly facial at a beauty training college
    Do my own facial wax (don’t ask)
    Diarise face pack Fridays once a week
    Minimum of mascara, blush and lip balm EVERY DAY

Muscle tone
    Still need to join the gym/health club. Prioritise my gym/swimming kit
    Join gym/health club

Hands
    Manicure once a month at beauty college
    Buy hand cream for each room in the house

Feet
    Book pedicure (it’s OK, work will pay for this )

Those are my thoughts this leisurely Sunday morning
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th Mar 17, 5:13 PM
    • 1,425 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    getting there
    It’s taken all my day to get up to speed with the house. So much clutter and dust

Steam cleaned hallway, kitchen and dining room floor (first getting rid of all the stuff on the floor...)

Decluttered: place mats/old top/really nice jacket (but no joy when I wear it) silver plated forks and teaspoons/new sandals (kept for years and never worn) chair cover/a chair/wet wipe holder/designer shirt/a camisole.

Ironing done and clothes packed away

Dining room looking great and nice to work in again

I lit a candle like they do at the end of obsessive compulsive cleaners when all the crud is gone and the filthy hoarder can let people in again

I hope you’ve all had a lovely Sunday
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 12-03-2017 at 5:16 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Mar 17, 8:04 PM
    • 45,908 Posts
    • 161,420 Thanks
    beanielou
    You could use a John Frieda foam to colour your hair~~tis fab
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Mar 17, 8:00 AM
    • 1,425 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    cooker woes
    JL has just left. The cooker is too near the boiler so it will need to be smaller. I will have to get a smaller cooker.

I could be desperately upset but I am choosing to keep perspective. I can choose another. This time last year I did not have the money for a cooker and had been without an oven for over 8 years and I survived.

I pulled a chicken carcass out of the freezer and I am starting a stock for soup making as soup making calms me down

It’s a nice day so washing on so I can dry outside

At least the threat of the cooker has resulted in a clean kitchen

I won’t look for a cooker today I will focus on my hair, eyebrows and I will look for a gym kit in the MnS sale instead

It is okay. Onwards and upwards

Have a good start to the week reader

DIA x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 13th Mar 17, 8:55 AM
    • 811 Posts
    • 2,362 Thanks
    JoJoC
    What a shame - you seem to be taking it on the chin though. I suppose there's not a lot can be done about it, so glad you're keeping perspective.

Can you ask the people at JL to recommend a suitable alternative?

Soup making sounds great - I'm on a train right now with intermittent access to email and a deadline of lunchtime while travelling to a day full of meetings and a night away from the kids. Not so fun on this end! And i just had the soggiest bacon roll ever (on expenses, so free). I'm trying to kepe perspective here, too!

I hope the rest of your day is calm and relaxing!
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 14th Mar 17, 8:51 AM
    • 2,332 Posts
    • 18,716 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Don't be down DIA - you get to choose two cookers! Plus - perhaps a smaller one will be cheaper?

Fortune x
    Moving Costs: 73% Mortgage: 25% remaining House Deposit Contribution: 56%

"It is possible to move mountains by carrying small stones."
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 15th Mar 17, 12:00 PM
    • 1,425 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    baby step number one
    Does anyone do Dave Ramsey’s baby steps?
    I’ve been watching his youtube debt free screams. They are so motivating!

Anyway, he swears the first step should be an emergency fund of £1,000. As I could not buy the oven and the handyman cannot come until the end of April and I sent back my bag I could have that £1,000 this pay day and I can pay the handyman from my April pay too. Should I do that? My thinking is:

I could save for the oven again and have it late Summer instead. I have survived this long and whilst it would be nice, wonderful actually. But, I can still cook, and the cakes I want to bake are for other people and they don’t have birthdays until Autumn onwards. I want to bake myself snacks, but Summer is coming so fruit and nuts will suffice for now…

I could also put the £1,000 towards a bathroom fund because this is the source of lots of stress for me. I said I would wait until I was debt free to do this, but the waiting is SO HARD on this one

My bank statement came and I can see I am paying half the interest I was in March and that is because the debt is nearly half the amount it was. I am tempted to make an overpayment on the debt just to see it go down…

How best to use the £1,000???

Ah well, at least I have options and that has got to be good news

Happy hump day folks

DIA x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Mar 17, 3:46 PM
    • 45,908 Posts
    • 161,420 Thanks
    beanielou
    Make the OP.
    Just think you only have 9 months to go now

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 15th Mar 17, 6:02 PM
    • 1,425 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    cost cutting in march and april
    Working on my appearance without spending money

I washed and cut my hair today. I used a new shampoo for an itchy scalp and my head feels so nice now

I tinted my eyebrows and plucked them

I cleansed with a muslim cloth, exfoliated, used a face pack and moisturised with a light oil and my skin looks so much better

I contacted the podiatrists where I get my feet pedicured. I have been going there for 2 years. I thought about not going back as it costs £90 (work reimburses me but even so…) and last time I was disappointed. I told the manager and the next one is complimentary so I have an appointment for the first week in April

Cost cutting for March and April

I am going to eat from the freezer until the end of April and until then I am setting a £20 a week budget for all food, household and toiletry expenses. I have a full freezer so food wise I only need fruit, veg and dairy.

I will have £20 a week pocket money

I have a small pay increase (and I mean small!) but it will go to offset my gym fees once I get my kit and finally join

I regularly mess up on Thursdays and it gets spendy with nothing to show. Not this week. I have prepped a delicious salad and a soup. I will take a flask. I have fruits. I have yoghurt, seeds and nuts for breakfast. I have £5 so I will allow myself a coffee and a single chocolate in Ner0.

If I can cost cut for the rest of March and April and make an OP I will be able to leapfrog from the mid 12,000s over the £11,000’s and arrive in the £10,000’s. Wouldn’t that be nice
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 15-03-2017 at 6:05 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Mar 17, 6:58 PM
    • 45,908 Posts
    • 161,420 Thanks
    beanielou
    The 10's sound just fab

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 15th Mar 17, 7:06 PM
    • 1,425 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thanks for the encouragement beanielou. Being in the 10s would be just wonderful
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 15th Mar 17, 10:39 PM
    • 4,204 Posts
    • 23,400 Thanks
    in need of direction
    While being in the 10s would be great, I'd favour even a small emergency fund.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £83,478.58, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £3,415.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5.5k & £200 cash.
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 16th Mar 17, 7:09 PM
    • 1,425 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    new fuel deal
    Thanks INOD. You have a point. I am going to find a way to do both. That is the plan anyway…

Today I concentrated on getting a new deal on my electricity and gas. It took me ages to understand the units to be able to make comparisons. Now I am in a deal that saves me 4.5% until December. I am not locked in so I can look again when this deal ends.

I used the silver in my money box to pay for my fares to work

I returned some shoes I purchased on impulse. They were a great buy purchased when I got my boots. £20 from £85, but I did not need them so I took them back.

I wrote a letter to my mortgage company as my statement says I am in arrears again. They have already paid me £200 for sending these letters out and I want it sorted once and for all or I am off to the ombudsman

I picked up some bits in MnS. I spent £9.00 but lots of bargains and no junk so I am pleased with that shop

I took in my food and snacks to work and kept to my plan of coffee and a single chocolate

I paid for 2 prescriptions.

A good MSE day for me today. I hope for you too
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Mar 17, 8:38 PM
    • 45,908 Posts
    • 161,420 Thanks
    beanielou
    Your mortgage company sounds dire.
    Hopefully more pennies your way though

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 17th Mar 17, 9:19 AM
    • 811 Posts
    • 2,362 Thanks
    JoJoC
    What a nightmare - I'd be seriously anxious about constantly seeing 'in arrears' in statements. I hope they get it sorted once and for all and stop with all the negativity!

Well done on all the MSE-ness of your day! Energy bill sounds promising - I managed to get ours reduced from £133p/m for duel fuel to £83 per month (just got confirmation today) by going fixed for 12 months...just before SSE put their prices up by 15% (my old provider). I wouldn't have even thought about doing that if i wasn't on MSE. Three cheers for MSE! haha

Hope you have a lovely day
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 17th Mar 17, 7:44 PM
    • 1,425 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I managed to get ours reduced from £133p/m for duel fuel to £83 per month (just got confirmation today) by going fixed for 12 months...just before SSE put their prices up by 15% (my old provider). I wouldn't have even thought about doing that if i wasn't on MSE. Three cheers for MSE! haha
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    Thanks JoJo. My old provider was SSE too so I faced increases too. Well done us for getting new deals
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,185Posts Today

8,684Users online

Martin's Twitter