Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    • 1,037Posts
    • 4,226Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Dancing in the Rain
    • 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    Dancing in the Rain 14th Jan 16 at 5:50 PM
    Four years ago I was transitioning from freelance creative work to being an employee. I had rising debts because my outgoings exceeded my rubbish freelance income and I couldn't find a job. My home had repairs I couldn’t do. I felt as if my life was in a downwards spiral.

There have been/will be changes good and not so good and these changes have prompted my new diary.

GOOD CHANGES:

I’ve made some progress on emergency repairs and now have a wonderful new boiler (so I am warm!)

I work for a brilliant charity and have done for the last 3.5 years. I know I could earn more, but I enjoy my work, I do something worthwhile and it fits in with other things I want to achieve that are equally important to me. They are now agreeing (from March 2016) to me working full time with 2 days working from home. This is a work balance that will allow me to be creative, and improve my income so I can achieve my 2016 goals

This is the year I become mortgage free.

NOT SO GOOD CHANGES:

My debt has increased from £12,000 to £21,822

After much thought I have realised what my priorities should be for 2016. I want a dog and a small car and a trip to New York but those are WANTS that I can’t have, at least not this year…

I have set goals for 2016 and these goals work towards my overall plan for 2020. Each year there will be an overarching priority and 2016 my priority is HOUSE. I have a schedule of works from which I will set house goals

House, decluttering,creativity, social, house, health, finances, nurturing, environment, organisation and future self

I will also do a weekly, how I saved money this week update on Fridays

I sound frighteningly organised don’t I? This is me getting serious…but I have a real problem dealing with workmen and having them in them in my home!!!! so I'm also bit of a coward-custard deep down too

This isn’t always going to be fun, I get that. But no more putting my head down and waiting for the storm to pass. As often as I can I will get out there and dance in the rain!

Come and support me when you can
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 15-03-2016 at 12:08 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=23,322/OCTOBER 2016=15,327 or 34.5% PAID
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Page 40
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 5th Oct 16, 8:05 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 4,226 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    cold turkey
    Low mood tonight.

I texted the handyman to confirm his appointment next week. He seems really nice but I can already feel myself becoming anxious…

I’m bringing in the big guys aromatherapy wise. Clary Sage and Bergamot are mood balancing oils and they are in the oil burner.

Pre light bulb moment I would have ‘treated‘ myself out of this mood. I would usually eat chocolate but there is none and I’m cold turkey until Saturday. My decanters are empty so I can’t have a glass of anything either.

I’m prepping for work in the office tomorrow as it is my new routine of taking the bus so I have a 30 minute and a 20 minute walk and a bus to get to work.

I made lovely soup so I’ll take that in for my lunch. I have a grapefruit and some brazil nuts for breakfast.

I am posting this despite it being less than cheery because I think it is important that this DF journey is accurately recorded. It is a wonderful, empowering, worthwhile journey but sometimes paying £1,000 a month to debt sucks. It really does.

Off to make some tea and top up the oil burner

DIA x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Tinkerbelle2000
    • By Tinkerbelle2000 6th Oct 16, 1:02 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 1,538 Thanks
    Tinkerbelle2000
    Love the idea of the branches DIA and even better nice smelling ones.

I had to break into my £2 coin stash a while ago and I also miss the comfort of having it there.

Well done on getting into the £16k bracket.

Tink xx
    LBM 11/08/15 - Total Debt Owing:- £10338.89 01/11/16 - £13996.57 01/12/16 - £13062.92
    DEBT 1 = £1143.93 DEBT 2 = £1073.00 DEBT 3 = £253.38
    DEBT 4 = £725.02 DEBT 5 = £166.10 DEBT 6 £1120.00
    DEBT 7 = £1324.59 DEBT 8 = £6325 DEBT 9 £2656.92
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 6th Oct 16, 4:30 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    Jumblerina
    Just want to say thanks for still posting DIA life is full of ups and downs, I hope you can look back on your diary and see how far you've come.

Sending you postive thoughts - you can do this the oils and tea sound like a fantastic combination too.

Jumblerina xxx
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 6th Oct 16, 7:39 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 4,226 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    talking to the universe
    Thanks Tink and Jumblerina

GIVING MYSELF A BREAK

I went to work not feeling okay but I improved as the day went on. I looked a right state, but at least I went. I gave myself a break today.

I bought a magazine. The first one for this year. It is lovely and glossy and pointless. I have not opened it. It is on the arm of chair now just waiting for a hot water bottle, a cup of tea in a lovely china cup and a square of chocolate (alright a few squares…)

I bought some chocolate. I admit defeat. I need chocolate. I bought dark and will try really, really hard to eat just 2 squares a day.

I barely got to work so was too tired to pack soup. I ate a sandwich for £3 that was not nice. Today I packed a lunch for tomorrow as early mornings do not lend themselves to heating up soup

POSITIVITY

My fares this week will be £12 instead of £24

Next week I have 10 days in a row when I won’t have to go into the office as it is my WFH week. I will also save lots of time and energy and £24 on fares

My electricity and gas bills came and I am in credit in both

I wrote and posted another follow up letter to the bank

Instead of expensive booze for my decanter I treated myself to some nice tea

I called my handyman. He has had a minor operation so is out of action for the next few weeks. I fear my ‘stay away’ vibe got delivered to the universe and rendered him out of action! He told me what to buy for when he does the job. We clarified how long the work would take and what he would charge. The rates seem very reasonable. Feeling relaxed and positive about him again.

I hope you had a day filled with positivity too

DIA x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 7th Oct 16, 6:15 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    Jumblerina
    Love the post DIA and so happy you've given yourself a little treat, sometimes it can be just what you need. Good to hear you're feeling positive about the handyman long may it continue!

Jumblerina xxx
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 7th Oct 16, 9:12 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 4,226 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Oops I did it again...
    Thanks Jumblerina

I spent £30 today on food and drink that was unplanned. I’ve eaten a whole bar of chocolate again AND the dreaded kettles too. I just don’t seem to be on an even keel at the moment.

I’m going to try harder tomorrow or I will run out of money before pay day

A good day overall. I might have spent unnecessary money on food and coffees but I’ve saved on fares this week. It takes longer to get home this way but I’ve had more exercise walking to and from the bus.

My last working day tomorrow and then 10 whole days at home

I found out I can attend a 2 day conference in November. It takes place by the sea and all meals, wine and taxis are included so I see it as a little mini break. I know, it’s a bit sad to see it as a mini break but I won’t be able to afford anything else before Christmas

Okay, so today is the end of poor eating choices. Tomorrow if I start with protein I should be okay. I am setting the alarm early, as breakfast seems to be a protection against a day of eating like someone who is heading towards the fire brigade removing the roof because the door frames are too narrow to get out of.

I hope you had a day where you made good choices

DIA x
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 07-10-2016 at 9:19 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 8th Oct 16, 10:34 PM
    • 6,293 Posts
    • 29,985 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    that's one hell of a description for a day!

Hope it turned out OK xx
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    New debt: £10,000 0% ;
    Declutter 50 items before 31.12.16 xx/50 ** LSDs Target 10 for December xx/10 **AFDs xx/17
    **NSDs Target 6 for December xx/6
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 9th Oct 16, 8:16 AM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 4,226 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    my day off has arrived
    Ha, ha. Thanks Brizzled yes, yesterday was better than Friday

Yesterday was a better spending and eating day than the one before, but far from good.

Today is the first of my 2 non working days and it was heaven to wake up knowing I am not answerable to anyone today. Last week I used one of the days to meet a friend and although I had a lovely day at the wetlands centre, my new plan is NOT to book anything on either of my days off. I have SKYPE and telephone calls but other than that my time is my own for a few days

I am more and more feeling the need for stillness and calm and I think this week has been so out of control eating and spending wise because I haven’t had enough of stillness.

This morning began my favourite way. The washing machine is on. I am chopping veggies for soup. The radio is on in the background. I am drinking rooibos early grey tea and burning peppermint and lime oils.

I slept well. I woke well. Hoping for a quiet, home-based pottering kind of day

Wishing you a lovely Sunday

DIA x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 9th Oct 16, 9:20 AM
    • 193 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    Jumblerina
    Sounds like the perfect Sunday DIA and just what you need you've caught yourself before things got really out of control. You've identified why it happened - you're back on track

Jumblerina xxx
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 9th Oct 16, 8:11 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 4,226 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    breaking the cycle
    A NSD (2/31)

Thanks Jumblerina. I realised I didn’t go out on 1 of my free days. I went out on both days. I ended up overeating, overspending and feeling ridiculously tired. It all links in. Not enough down time to cook so eating on the go, poor food creeps in and poor food costs money so I start overspending. Poor food makes me tired and irritable so I go for carbs/sugar and I’m stuck in a crazy loop.

Today was restful and I have another day tomorrow to myself. I have a long list of are things I need to do tomorrow, like buy new underwear for example. But not going anywhere I can’t walk/cycle to and I have a free Ner0 voucher so I’ll take my magazine and make it a treat day too.

Done today

Delicious curried courgette, rocket and lentil soup made with organic chicken stock. Yum

Washing done and on the line x 2

1 hour catch up with a friend X3!!

Dishes x 4

Chicken tray bake and rice and red beans (for during the week)

Grated raw beetroot (for during the week and to have with spicy chicken.)Yum again.

Sorted washing

A&C monthly order submitted for Friday

Decluttered:
    --Leather ballet pumps too small
    --a cup
    --a trinket
    --3 books
    --Leather book cover

Happy Sunday MSE folk
    DIA x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 9th Oct 16, 10:48 PM
    • 3,051 Posts
    • 7,580 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Happy Sunday DIA, sounds like you have spotted the issues and got it sorted

Rosa xx
    Proud to be dealing have dealt with my debts - DEBT FREE May 2016
    DFW Diary - Balancing not just the budget
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4398229
    • Tinkerbelle2000
    • By Tinkerbelle2000 10th Oct 16, 1:48 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 1,538 Thanks
    Tinkerbelle2000
    DIA - I totally agree with you about having your days off pottering around at home. Although I love meeting my friend (mostly on a Friday), I do like to have the weekend with no plans so I can do things at home in my own time instead of rushing.

Well done on the decluttering, it's a step in the right direction.

Tink xx
    LBM 11/08/15 - Total Debt Owing:- £10338.89 01/11/16 - £13996.57 01/12/16 - £13062.92
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Oct 16, 5:53 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 4,226 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Getting ready
    Thanks Tink and Rosa. Good to know you get it

My eating was better today, but I still went from 10.00 to 4.30 fuelled on fruit and some walnuts. Not good. I came in starving and ate crisps (AGAIN) but other than that I’ve been relatively OK.

Tomorrow will be a NSD

At last I have slipper socks. I wanted washable slippers and these were TKM reduced from £25 to £12. They are mens so I can wear my bed socks inside the slipper socks

I still need my hot water bottle. I saw them in Boot$ for £8.99 and left them there. Too expensive. I already have beautiful covers. I need a plain hot water bottle so I will wait…

I still need a set of warm PJs. Pay day in 2 weeks will get some then.

In TKM there were epsom salts with essential oils for £6.99 reduced from £9.99. Then I thought I have my own essential oils I can add to the bath so I got plain epsom salts, same quantity for £3.49. Put salts in an old pickle jar with a gold lid and one of those old style brown post office labels tied with string and IMHO they look fab in the bathroom now

MnS have a sale. Good prices on bras but I couldn’t afford to stray from my list so I got knickers. Very pretty reduced from £8 to £3.

Some nice Yogi tea, some leather cleaner and an ostrich feather duster were also purchased.

An expensive day, but all the spending was planned so I am OK with that. less pleased with the crisps

I had a coffee today and wiped the table as the counter girl was on her own. She gave me a free 9 stamps to thank me!

A good, relaxing day. Yay

Work tomorrow but this time I’m ready

Happy Monday

DIA x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 10th Oct 16, 9:45 PM
    • 4,063 Posts
    • 22,747 Thanks
    in need of direction
    I've previously bought reasonably priced hot water bottles from a local pharmacy. Maybe worth a try.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £86,391.14 yr1 target met 11.57% cleared
    Current target pay £26,805.30 by 31.12.2016. more than £14660.82 54.69% paid to date

Emergency fund £3.8k & £200 cash. Mortgage offset fund £6237.54.
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Tinkerbelle2000
    • By Tinkerbelle2000 10th Oct 16, 9:58 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 1,538 Thanks
    Tinkerbelle2000
    Wilkos do cheap water bottles too. Your epsom salts container sounds lovely and home made is always better.

Well done on keeping to your budget.

Tink xx
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Oct 16, 4:19 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 4,226 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Damson Mousse
    Thinking ahead
    Looking at colour charts. Decided to paint one feature wall with lovely non acrylic paint in a beautiful colour even if the paint is a very expensive. If the colour makes my heart lift and it’s in a small quantity it is worth it. I’ll do the remaining walls in white to bring the cost down. Also this way once it’s done I can do the upkeep easily myself. Loving a colour called Damson Mousse by earthborn

Drudgery
    Ironing
    Cleaned shoes
    A little dusting. I’ve never been a duster, but I like the way this duster flips between things and you don’t have to move the object. Who knew?
    Cleaned bath

Eating
    Found a steak at the bottom of my freezer. I have frozen mediterranean veggies so adding fresh broccoli and tahini sauce. I’m low in iron so it should do me some good

Craving sugar, but less so than the past few days…Drinking cinnamon and cardamon tea instead. No chocolate or crisps today for the first time in AGES

Decluttered
    Undies/T-Shirt/A rug /T-light holder/tupperware/2 pencils

Where I’m at today (sorry, I’ve been listening to American podcasts and their ‘English’ rubs off)
    WFH
    Feeling edgy (too much coffee??)
    It’s cold. I put the central heating on yesterday to test it for 30 mins. Not using it again until November 1st if I can help it. The slipper socks help (feet so cosy now). I need to buy some thermals too as putting on the heating all day when WFH is not something I fancy doing. I’ll get a hot water bottle tomorrow. Thanks Tink and INOD for the suggestions.

Money
    A NSD (3/31)

I hope your day went well
    DIA x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 11th Oct 16, 10:53 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    Jumblerina
    Well done on getting back on track DIA, I'm inspired by your ability to self-reflect so honestly and change what you do I'm loving the sound of those teas and your de-cluttering efforts sound great too I always find a little tidy/de-clutter helps me get back on track. Sounds like you're getting ready for winter, I must admit I've been thinking about all the lovely warm jumpers and socks I've got - so I'll be following in your tracks with winter prep!

Jumblerina xxx
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 12th Oct 16, 5:54 AM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 12,719 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    How do you guys use the hot water bottles? I'm assuming they are for warmth but can't quite picture how you use them.
    Nov $69/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th Oct 16, 7:14 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 4,226 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    How do you guys use the hot water bottles? I'm assuming they are for warmth but can't quite picture how you use them.
    Originally posted by milasavesmoney
    Hot water inside a rubber bottle. Simple really
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 12-10-2016 at 10:18 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th Oct 16, 7:20 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 4,226 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Winter prepping
    A little decluttering, WFH this morning, a little drudgery.

Then I saw the hygienist this afternoon. I used to the hate going, but now I’m just grateful I have teeth of my own and the resources to see a hygienist to help me keep them longer.

I went to the Waitr0se nearest the dentist. I wish I liked this supermarket less. I do like Ald1 and L1dl but I LOVE Waitr0se. I found my favourite Padron peppers they were £1.89 a bag but they were reduced to 39p a bag. Halloumi was reduced by 25%. Stuffing the peppers with the cheese is so yum and they are yum hot or cold. In total I spent £20 but I have eggs, salad, and turnips as well as canned wild salmon and other stuff, so I am okay with that spend.

I’ve been thinking about winter, as Jumblerina pointed out. I don’t get colds often but I’ve been known to have bad chest infections some winters. If I couldn’t get out to the shops I’d probably order an online shop but there are things I should have in just case.

Anyway, I went into full prepping mode. All of the scenarios presented have happened to me in the last 3 years. It would be nice to be prepared next time…

Water supply not safe —ordered water for next online shop/emergency number
    Can’t get out to shop—create an online shopping list
    Too unwell to cook —canned tuna, canned beans, canned fish, soup
    Too unwell to get out to the pharmacy—arnica, tea tree, vicks, olbas oil, paracetamol, cough syrup, antiseptic, vit C
    Power down —a torch with batteries, battery powered solar lights
    Boiler & home emergencies —a contract and number to hand
    Cold weather —thermals, hot water bottles, blankets on the back of all chairs, sofas, wraps, slippers, socks, fingerless gloves
    Not being able to dry clothes outside—order the dehumidifier
    Dark —get outside lights sorted, winter blues? keep treats/£2 jar topped up
    Snow—keep an eye out for snow boots, order a large bag of salt for next online order

I’ll let you know how I get on. I hope to have checked everything off before Spring

I hope your day went according to plan!
    DIA x
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 12-10-2016 at 7:25 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,844Posts Today

7,336Users online

Martin's Twitter