Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    • 2,535Posts
    • 12,095Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Dancing in the Rain
    • 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    Dancing in the Rain 14th Jan 16 at 5:50 PM
    Four years ago I was transitioning from freelance creative work to being an employee. I had rising debts because my outgoings exceeded my rubbish freelance income and I couldn't find a job. My home had repairs I couldn’t do. I felt as if my life was in a downwards spiral.

There have been/will be changes good and not so good and these changes have prompted my new diary.

GOOD CHANGES:

I’ve made some progress on emergency repairs and now have a wonderful new boiler (so I am warm!)

I work for a brilliant charity and have done for the last 3.5 years. I know I could earn more, but I enjoy my work, I do something worthwhile and it fits in with other things I want to achieve that are equally important to me. They are now agreeing (from March 2016) to me working full time with 2 days working from home. This is a work balance that will allow me to be creative, and improve my income so I can achieve my 2016 goals

This is the year I become mortgage free.

NOT SO GOOD CHANGES:

My debt has increased from £12,000 to £24,822

After much thought I have realised what my priorities should be for 2016. I want a dog and a small car and a trip to New York but those are WANTS that I can’t have, at least not this year…

I have set goals for 2016 and these goals work towards my overall plan for 2020. Each year there will be an overarching priority and 2016 my priority is HOUSE. I have a schedule of works from which I will set house goals

House, decluttering,creativity, social, house, health, finances, nurturing, environment, organisation and future self

I will also do a weekly, how I saved money this week update on Fridays

I sound frighteningly organised don’t I? This is me getting serious…but I have a real problem dealing with workmen and having them in them in my home!!!! so I'm also bit of a coward-custard deep down too

This isn’t always going to be fun, I get that. But no more putting my head down and waiting for the storm to pass. As often as I can I will get out there and dance in the rain!

Come and support me when you can
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 20-12-2017 at 9:14 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/February 2018=795
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Page 113
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Feb 18, 5:59 PM
    • 2,535 Posts
    • 12,095 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Sorry to hear the news about the job,
    Your kitchen isn't too far off, is it DIA? I'm sure I remember you posting recently about getting it done in the near future.
    Full of grand plans and frustrated at the lack of money available immediately to make those plans a reality! haha
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    Thanks JoJo. Well remembered about the kitchen and I will be going to the Swedish store to make some decisions next week. You do great. Remember your driveway wasn't that long ago and your kitchen will come. It has taken me a decade without a functioning kitchen to get to this point!
    YOu are so lucky to work for such a flexible employer
    Originally posted by beanielou
    You are so right. I am and I will use that flexibility to make this job work for me for the time being. i don't have the energy to invest in looking for something else right now and I am not deeply unhappy just irritated and peed off with stuff sometimes. I can work with that for now
    Sorry to hear about the job, and I agree with Beanie.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Thanks Redo
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Feb 18, 6:01 PM
    • 2,535 Posts
    • 12,095 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I was just getting my knickers in an knot about my own interview prep earlier today when this popped up on my screen via a yoga group...
    "We only grieve where we love. So grief is an aspect of love. Let is be as it is and be humbled by it. Allow grief to be a great teacher." - Gangaji

I found it very timely as it reminded me that I wouldn't be worried or upset about the interview if I didn't care deeply about the field, the potential job and the aspects of my life it would change. I'd been rather pushing that aside in the practicalities, but actually it needs to shine through, even to remind me why I'm doing it.

Big hugs, moggie purrs and posh chocolate for you
    Rosa xx
    Originally posted by RosaBernicia
    Wishing you luck for your interview and thank you for your insightful post
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 11th Feb 18, 9:01 AM
    • 1,374 Posts
    • 7,878 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    DIA even though you didn't get the job, the interview and feedback are all learning experiences. At least in April you get the 4 days and 2 at home as well .

As someone else said and I have said I think I am so lucky to have an employer who allows compressed hours and flexible working.

Can you afford get a cleaner ?
    Jan 2018 CC1 £3099 CC2 £220

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Feb 18, 9:13 AM
    • 2,535 Posts
    • 12,095 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    DIA even though you didn't get the job, the interview and feedback are all learning experiences. At least in April you get the 4 days and 2 at home as well .

As someone else said and I have said I think I am so lucky to have an employer who allows compressed hours and flexible working.

Can you afford get a cleaner ?
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    Thanks Cumbria Lass for thinking of me when you have so much going on.
    I woke up this morning feeling exactly what you have said. I am very lucky. They are very good employers in many ways. Your post could have been written by me.

I am also thinking about a cleaner, not every week but once a month for a deep clean. I already asked one person but she could not do it. I might just book a company once a month and see how that works. Combined with a dishwasher when the kitchen gets done (eventually) I should be have enough time to do the things I want to do

Enjoy your Sunday
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Feb 18, 9:17 AM
    • 2,535 Posts
    • 12,095 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I have a roofer coming this morning to quote for some work.
    He was recommended by a friend of a friend.
    Feeling nervous as always but I did the garden and that turned out fine. Hopefully this will be fine too.
    I wish I was less nervous about these things
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Feb 18, 9:47 AM
    • 50,646 Posts
    • 193,971 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope all goes well with the roofer.

When are you due to update your signature?
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Feb 18, 4:15 PM
    • 2,535 Posts
    • 12,095 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    the search continues
    The roofer got stuck in traffic and would have been 2 hours late. He was due to come yesterday and the same thing. We spoke and I sent a very nice text saying thank you but I think I will leave it. I already get stressed and his style does not suit me. I was asking for a small job to see if he worked out for the bigger job but we are incompatible. I am not too upset as I would rather find out now than later and no money has changed hands so no harm done. My search continues!!!

I went to the shops on a free bus both ways (due to rail closures)
    Bargains of the day? Pickled onions £2.70 reduced to 10p a jar.

One of the things I have decided whilst I went all over the place looking for a specific tea, is I will get more things delivered especially as I am going to be WFH. Delivery is mostly free and it saves me time and keeps me out of the shops

My fridge of full of good stuff and I have fruit in the bowls. There are flowers in vases and I feel good about that. 80% of purchases were YS or budget supermarket offers. This is how it used to be pre lightbulb moment. Now I need to create this in a structured way so I stay in control and live frugally

Happy Sunday everyone
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 11th Feb 18, 4:38 PM
    • 3,356 Posts
    • 8,694 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    DIA, not sure whereabouts you are but I think you have mentioned somewhere in my area - I have a recommendation for two roofers near here and one to definitely avoid, happy to pass on if you want to pm me.
    Debt free May 2016... MFW progress 2.3 2.8%

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Feb 18, 4:47 PM
    • 50,646 Posts
    • 193,971 Thanks
    beanielou
    I hate hate hate when workman do this

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Feb 18, 4:47 PM
    • 2,535 Posts
    • 12,095 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Yes please Rosa, that would be wonderful. How thoughtful of you
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Feb 18, 4:48 PM
    • 2,535 Posts
    • 12,095 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I hate hate hate when workman do this
    Thanks Beanie
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 12th Feb 18, 11:27 AM
    • 1,545 Posts
    • 5,386 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Such a shame that you keep getting your fingers burnt by unreliable workmen! I'm also one with some great tradesmen recommendations - it's a shame that we're so far apart!

I'm glad that it hasn't upset the apple cart too much - hopefully you get someone suitable and reliable soon.

Good weekend?
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3544.32 £300.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4781 £295 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £11,954 (£3,156 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £20,129 | Total debt paid: £3,703 (16%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th Feb 18, 2:05 PM
    • 2,535 Posts
    • 12,095 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    at last
    I worked on Saturday JoJo and retreated on Sunday so not much of a weekend but off to see a West End musical tonight

Thanks for reminding me to update my signature Beanie.
    Next week I will make a payment and be even closer to debt free status. In truth I could have pushed it and cleared it next week but as you know I!!!8217;m a bit scared so I allowed another month to get used to it.

I!!!8217;ve been reading postings on the part time thread and the message is don!!!8217;t wait until retirement. That makes sense. Start enjoying yourself today. Also it seems to confirm losing 20% of salary is really more like 10% due to tax and other bits and bobs so I am looking forward to it. As prep I am using the last of my annual leave to work a 4 day week (where I can) until the official date kicks in.

My 2 next major events are getting a dog and getting a new kitchen.

I will be going to the Swedish store to look at kitchens this week. I will paying a fee to get a home design visit. I will be getting them to do the installation. It is not the cheapest way to do it but it is the lower stress option and I do not have connections in the trade, so I will go with that. Once the kitchen is in I will focus my attention on the dog

I am going to start visiting an animal shelter and having conversations. I might even volunteer to walk dogs for a bit to get over my issue with picking up poo. I only have to go into the office 6 days a month so the !!!8216;home alone!!!8217; time for my dog will be minimal. There is no reason why this life goal cannot be pursued this year

At last options are beginning to open up as I approach DF and MF status
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 14-02-2018 at 7:50 AM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 12th Feb 18, 2:29 PM
    • 1,374 Posts
    • 7,878 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    DIA glad you walked away from the roofer , you need to be confident in them to actually use them.

West end musical what you going to see ?

I love the theatre , my favourite is phantom of the opera , I have seen it in Manchester, London and New York.

I love your dog poo phobia ! I think I have one also ,I am more a cat person.
    Jan 2018 CC1 £3099 CC2 £220

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 12th Feb 18, 3:17 PM
    • 1,545 Posts
    • 5,386 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Two very exciting life events are approaching and I'm so excited for you!

When I worked at my sister's house last week while my broadband was going haywire, it was so lovely to have her little dog (a collie) curled up on my lap or at my feet. Lovely to have a bit of company

I don't think you need to do the kitchen the cheapest way at all - I certainly won't be when we come to doing ours in a couple of years! - but you need to do what works best for you and will give you the best quality and the best solution over a long period of time.

It's not like a pair of shoes that will be replaced next year or even 6 months. It's a kitchen that should last you for, what, 20 years? Maybe forever?

I think you're right to have it properly designed and properly fitted to give it the best shot at lasting for a long time.

Hope you enjoy your theatre trip tonight!

Also, i just took a peek at your signature and cannot believe how close you are to being DF. It's within touching distance - you must be so proud of yourself getting to this point!
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3544.32 £300.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4781 £295 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £11,954 (£3,156 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £20,129 | Total debt paid: £3,703 (16%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Feb 18, 5:17 PM
    • 50,646 Posts
    • 193,971 Thanks
    beanielou
    What kind of dog do you fancy then?

Enjoy the theatre.

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Feb 18, 8:00 AM
    • 2,535 Posts
    • 12,095 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    DIA glad you walked away from the roofer , you need to be confident in them to actually use them.

West end musical what you going to see ?

I love the theatre , my favourite is phantom of the opera , I have seen it in Manchester, London and New York.
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    Thanks Cumbria. I went to see Annie and it was lovely escapism
    Re the roofer you are right. I need someone trustworthy so I will keep looking...
    Two very exciting life events are approaching and I'm so excited for you!

When I worked at my sister's house last week while my broadband was going haywire, it was so lovely to have her little dog (a collie) curled up on my lap or at my feet. Lovely to have a bit of company

I don't think you need to do the kitchen the cheapest way at all - I certainly won't be when we come to doing ours in a couple of years! - but you need to do what works best for you and will give you the best quality and the best solution over a long period of time.

It's not like a pair of shoes that will be replaced next year or even 6 months. It's a kitchen that should last you for, what, 20 years? Maybe forever?

I think you're right to have it properly designed and properly fitted to give it the best shot at lasting for a long time.
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    Thanks JoJo. It will be nice to have an oven and a dishwasher too. I need the kitchen to be presentable but I must remember I don't plan to stay here so I won't be going overboard. The design is really about making best use of the space and using their fitters costs more but at least if it goes wrong there is somewhere to go to resolve it.
    What kind of dog do you fancy then?
    A not too big dog with good behaviour. As it will be a shelter dog I'll probably take whatever mutt I fall for.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 14th Feb 18, 9:27 AM
    • 1,156 Posts
    • 7,051 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Staffies are great wee dogs...

...but then I am biased

I'm sure there will be one that will just steal your heart
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Feb 18, 6:40 PM
    • 2,535 Posts
    • 12,095 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    health is wealth
    My weight has started climbing again

I went to my GP as I had heard they prescribe a slimming club (SW) on prescription. They do. I will be starting a 12 week programme. I will be going on my extra day off work. I used to try and go after work before but I got hungry and irritable so going to an earlier class will help. One of the reasons I am going down to 4 days is to reduce my stress and weight improve my health.

I asked for another specific test and that will be done in a few weeks time.

I have realised that I do not use all the very many benefits that work allows so I am going to be working on ensuring I do in future.

I have booked tomorrow off as holiday as I am using my holiday to practice having a 4 day week

Tomorrow I will be having a pedicure paid for by my work. I go to a very posh place because they use the things on my feet just once and give them to me afterwards

I will also be booking an eye test then using the money work allows annually to go towards my new glasses. This has been on my To Do list for 4 years.

I promised I would start using the library this year. I believe in them. I just find them hard to get to. Anyway, going there tomorrow to pick up a book I ordered. There is a nice coffee shop so I will go there too.

I will not be renewing my gym membership. I should never have taken it out (although I will using it much more when I drop a working day) Funny how I think it is so expensive when it is much less than I paid in interest every month for years on debts that never reduced. My lightbulb moment still burns bright

So looking forward to my day off tomorrow
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 14-02-2018 at 7:45 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 14th Feb 18, 8:29 PM
    • 1,129 Posts
    • 6,875 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Hope you have a lovely day off, sounds like you have many positive plans.

May be worth checking if your library does access to magazines and e-books online, mine does with the card and pin number.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

1,570Users online

Martin's Twitter