Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    • 2,528Posts
    • 12,065Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Dancing in the Rain
    • 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    Dancing in the Rain 14th Jan 16 at 5:50 PM
    Four years ago I was transitioning from freelance creative work to being an employee. I had rising debts because my outgoings exceeded my rubbish freelance income and I couldn't find a job. My home had repairs I couldn’t do. I felt as if my life was in a downwards spiral.

There have been/will be changes good and not so good and these changes have prompted my new diary.

GOOD CHANGES:

I’ve made some progress on emergency repairs and now have a wonderful new boiler (so I am warm!)

I work for a brilliant charity and have done for the last 3.5 years. I know I could earn more, but I enjoy my work, I do something worthwhile and it fits in with other things I want to achieve that are equally important to me. They are now agreeing (from March 2016) to me working full time with 2 days working from home. This is a work balance that will allow me to be creative, and improve my income so I can achieve my 2016 goals

This is the year I become mortgage free.

NOT SO GOOD CHANGES:

My debt has increased from £12,000 to £24,822

After much thought I have realised what my priorities should be for 2016. I want a dog and a small car and a trip to New York but those are WANTS that I can’t have, at least not this year…

I have set goals for 2016 and these goals work towards my overall plan for 2020. Each year there will be an overarching priority and 2016 my priority is HOUSE. I have a schedule of works from which I will set house goals

House, decluttering,creativity, social, house, health, finances, nurturing, environment, organisation and future self

I will also do a weekly, how I saved money this week update on Fridays

I sound frighteningly organised don’t I? This is me getting serious…but I have a real problem dealing with workmen and having them in them in my home!!!! so I'm also bit of a coward-custard deep down too

This isn’t always going to be fun, I get that. But no more putting my head down and waiting for the storm to pass. As often as I can I will get out there and dance in the rain!

Come and support me when you can
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 20-12-2017 at 9:14 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/February 2018=1,670
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Page 110
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 24th Jan 18, 4:45 PM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 12,065 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thanks Cumbria,

I really pushed it today and feel a bit lighter as decisions have been made so I am out of that limbo stage. Even if the decision is one I live to regret re turning down work at least the decision is made

I hope you are feeling better?

What a fabulous idea re the builder! I like it! Thank you.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 24th Jan 18, 6:40 PM
    • 2,339 Posts
    • 14,884 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Blimey DIA. You certainly know how to go for it. Well done you.

That debt amount. Wow, it's so exciting.
    Don't let yourself be controlled by three things: people, money or past experiences.

2018 My year of creation, living life and learning.

The purpose of life is to create a life of purpose. Richard Gregg
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 25th Jan 18, 10:35 AM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 12,065 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    a peep of sunshine
    I do not seem to have any problem getting up early when I am off work.

My house guest is ill so I have 2 days to myself unexpectedly. There is lots to do so I really don’t mind

Already today I have:

steam cleaned my doorstep
    went to Ald1
    received online shop and packed away

I bought a dehumidifier today. I’ve been meaning to do this for years. Every winter I have an issue with dirty clothes building up as I worry about the effect on the house of drying on radiators. Also my bathroom has no fan working fan extractor so I cannot use the bath without worrying.

I saw a dehumidifier in Ald1 yesterday. It was £69.99 reduced to £59.99. The ones I have been looking at are twice the price so I went back today for my bargain. At the till the price came up as £34.99, so half price. So pleased!

I treated myself to some face cream and eye cream (£10) a lot but I want to look after my skin and in the pre lightbulb years I would have spent 4 or 5 Xs as much. Never again.

I am going to IK3A in a bit to take back returns

I couldn’t use my bath and now I can

A relaxing bath tonight for sure

There is a little sun here. Hoping it shines on you today too.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 3rd Feb 18, 9:32 PM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 12,065 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Confused
    I’ve taken some time away from the forum. I’ve also taken some positive steps over the last few weeks and these are the results:

Front and back gardens cleared by gardener and looking great. A huge relief

Decluttered some books, heavy ones that took up space and light. I could have got £6 on zit-something but decided to donate to Oxfam instead. Also decluttered a designer bag to a charity shop.

Made an appointment to open a basic a/c so I can start separating everyday spending from committed funds. It’s only taken over a decade…

I bought an Ospr*y bag. Looks bad but I was so disorganised with the old (donated) one. It cost £100 ( a bargain from MKMa33 but still expensive I know) and I should be sorry but I am not…I am aware I might be self sabotaging as I near my debt free date. Hey ho…

I have a job interview next week. The salary is bigger so I could work 4 days for the same salary I receive now working full time. The work is less stressful and the location is superb. Downside? I lose weeks holiday pay and I have to go in to the office instead of WFH

All I know is 5 days is no longer an option for me. I need to be creative and get fitter and healthier and 5 days doesn’t allow for that in my world…

I am tempted to go hard and work 3 days a week and start living and taking care of myself. This would mean a drop in income of about £7-£8,000 but without a debt or a mortgage I am tempted. Even on this salary I could spend £750 on the house a month

If I am offered the job ( There is a 5 day and another 3 day) I will run to IK£A for an interest free loan to do the kitchen before my salary drops…

Hope you are all ok
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 3rd Feb 18, 11:19 PM
    • 1,534 Posts
    • 5,309 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Lovely to see you back dia- I did wonder where you'd got to.

I'll catch up properly in the morning when I don't just have one eye open!
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3544.32 £300.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4781 £295 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £11,954 (£3,156 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £20,129 | Total debt paid: £3,703 (16%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 4th Feb 18, 9:19 AM
    • 2,339 Posts
    • 14,884 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Nice to see you back DIA. Sometimes time away is needed. You seem to have some excellent plans in place. Enjoy the bag.
    Don't let yourself be controlled by three things: people, money or past experiences.

2018 My year of creation, living life and learning.

The purpose of life is to create a life of purpose. Richard Gregg
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 4th Feb 18, 9:51 AM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 12,065 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Lovely to see you back dia- I did wonder where you'd got to.
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    Thanks JoJo
    Nice to see you back DIA. Sometimes time away is needed. You seem to have some excellent plans in place. Enjoy the bag.
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    I haven't seen you either. I hope you are ok? We seem to have logged out at the same time several days ago...Loving the bag
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 4th Feb 18, 10:07 AM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 6,841 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Good to see you posting, more envious of the clear garden than the bag but that is just me being odd.

Hope the job thing comes out the way you want, but nipping in the Ikea loan first makes sense.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 4th Feb 18, 11:06 AM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 12,065 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thanks Redo, the garden clearance is definitely more life enhancing than the handbag. Such a weight off my mind
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 04-02-2018 at 6:22 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 4th Feb 18, 3:45 PM
    • 1,534 Posts
    • 5,309 Thanks
    JoJoC
    The bag sounds lovely and although it may be a bit extravagant, everyone deserves a treat at some point. And the fact that it's functional makes it all the more worthwhile!

Wow - you've got all the career stuff going on right now! Sounds like a couple of exciting prospects ahead though. As things progress, you can see what suits you best!
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3544.32 £300.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4781 £295 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £11,954 (£3,156 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £20,129 | Total debt paid: £3,703 (16%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Feb 18, 5:11 PM
    • 50,578 Posts
    • 193,526 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope the job turns out as you wish.
    Happy new handbag Enjoy.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Feb 18, 5:13 PM
    • 50,578 Posts
    • 193,526 Thanks
    beanielou
    & a massive well done on eating those frogs

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 4th Feb 18, 5:26 PM
    • 3,351 Posts
    • 8,686 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Happy new handbag DIA - I have just bought that brand in the same retailer so clearly great minds think alike
    Good luck with your interview. Love the sound of being able to reduce your hours, and as you will be DF and MF and have private work that you can add to if you wish, it sounds like things are all lining up!

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... MFW progress 2.3 2.8%

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Feb 18, 5:38 PM
    • 50,578 Posts
    • 193,526 Thanks
    beanielou
    BEfore I forget, is it time to update your signature tto?

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 4th Feb 18, 5:41 PM
    • 3,351 Posts
    • 8,686 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    BEfore I forget, is it time to update your signature tto?
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Oh thanks Beanie , yes it probably is. I always put off checking the exact mortgage amount as it's a faff to get into the account, but it would be nice to see that progressing!

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... MFW progress 2.3 2.8%

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Feb 18, 5:42 PM
    • 50,578 Posts
    • 193,526 Thanks
    beanielou
    Oh thanks Beanie , yes it probably is. I always put off checking the exact mortgage amount as it's a faff to get into the account, but it would be nice to see that progressing!

Rosa xx
    Originally posted by RosaBernicia
    YEs it would xx

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 4th Feb 18, 6:26 PM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 12,065 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Hope the job turns out as you wish.
    Happy new handbag Enjoy.
    & a massive well done on eating those frogs
    Thanks Beanielou
    Happy new handbag DIA - I have just bought that brand in the same retailer so clearly great minds think alike
    Good luck with your interview. Love the sound of being able to reduce your hours, and as you will be DF and MF and have private work that you can add to if you wish, it sounds like things are all lining up!
    Originally posted by RosaBernicia
    Thanks Rosa. Those bags are so delicious aren't they? I used to have a serious handbag habit I though I had cured myself of....Not quite then...

I was getting in a muddle trying to work out what to do for the best. I have a tendency to imagine myself into the future. So I was shopping for an interview outfit for a job I hadn't even been invited to interview for. Now I am wondering how many days to work when I haven't even got the job.

Anyway, if I don't get it I still have a 4 day week and a good job so it is all good really

I hope everyone is having a lovely peaceful Sunday.
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 04-02-2018 at 6:29 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 5th Feb 18, 5:29 PM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 12,065 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    working smarter not harder
    A good day today

As you know I imagine myself into situations not yet realised
    So despite only having an interview and not having got the job I started looking at how I can work 3 days a week. As well as boring you on here I bored a RL friend and she said work 3 days a week but make the private work your 4th day....

I worked out the hours I want to work privately and looked at how much I need to earn the same as a full day's work from an employer. Sums done. I had my class today. A great class as always. I told them that after Easter my prices increase by 25%. Guess what? They are all absolutely fine with the increase I am so relieved they all took it so well and slightly cross with myself as I have been selling myself short

I hope your day has gone well too reader
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 05-02-2018 at 5:31 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 5th Feb 18, 6:56 PM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 12,065 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Haha. All that bravado and someone has just asked me to do some work with them privately and I'm scared to tell them my new rate
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Feb 18, 7:41 PM
    • 50,578 Posts
    • 193,526 Thanks
    beanielou
    Haha. All that bravado and someone has just asked me to do some work with them privately and I'm scared to tell them my new rate
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Eat that frog.
    You know you can.
    I am still trying to work out your line of work!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,254Posts Today

8,000Users online

Martin's Twitter