Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    • 2,391Posts
    • 11,258Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Dancing in the Rain
    • 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    Dancing in the Rain 14th Jan 16 at 5:50 PM
    Four years ago I was transitioning from freelance creative work to being an employee. I had rising debts because my outgoings exceeded my rubbish freelance income and I couldn't find a job. My home had repairs I couldn’t do. I felt as if my life was in a downwards spiral.

There have been/will be changes good and not so good and these changes have prompted my new diary.

GOOD CHANGES:

I’ve made some progress on emergency repairs and now have a wonderful new boiler (so I am warm!)

I work for a brilliant charity and have done for the last 3.5 years. I know I could earn more, but I enjoy my work, I do something worthwhile and it fits in with other things I want to achieve that are equally important to me. They are now agreeing (from March 2016) to me working full time with 2 days working from home. This is a work balance that will allow me to be creative, and improve my income so I can achieve my 2016 goals

This is the year I become mortgage free.

NOT SO GOOD CHANGES:

My debt has increased from £12,000 to £24,822

After much thought I have realised what my priorities should be for 2016. I want a dog and a small car and a trip to New York but those are WANTS that I can’t have, at least not this year…

I have set goals for 2016 and these goals work towards my overall plan for 2020. Each year there will be an overarching priority and 2016 my priority is HOUSE. I have a schedule of works from which I will set house goals

House, decluttering,creativity, social, house, health, finances, nurturing, environment, organisation and future self

I will also do a weekly, how I saved money this week update on Fridays

I sound frighteningly organised don’t I? This is me getting serious…but I have a real problem dealing with workmen and having them in them in my home!!!! so I'm also bit of a coward-custard deep down too

This isn’t always going to be fun, I get that. But no more putting my head down and waiting for the storm to pass. As often as I can I will get out there and dance in the rain!

Come and support me when you can
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 20-12-2017 at 9:14 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/December 2017=2,510
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Page 107
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 7th Jan 18, 7:39 PM
    • 1,112 Posts
    • 6,107 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    I wrote on a piece of paper about 7 years ago that I would like to work with children when I retire, I was at some training day. That is still my ambition to be a lunchtime supervisor in a school , dinner lady as was . Can’t wait just hope I get to retire at 60.
    Jan 2018 CC1 £3099 CC2 £258

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 7th Jan 18, 7:46 PM
    • 2,391 Posts
    • 11,258 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Cumbria Lass, You seem energised (even when exhausted) by your DGC so I think it will will be great for you to be a dinner lady
    I seem to be day dreaming about retirement a lot but that is because work is peeing me off. In all honesty by the time I am 60 I will be more than ready to start doing exactly as I choose with my days
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Jan 18, 5:39 PM
    • 2,391 Posts
    • 11,258 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    pay day is when?
    A couple of days waking up with migraine, but both times I had it under control by 11ish so I am winning. Tomorrow I am in the office so need to wake up well. Fingers crossed…

One night away from home and the plot was lost. I got to the stage where I had no dishes left, no cutlery and all the surfaces in my home were covered in dishes. Today I washed up, dried up and packed away eight times but now all the dishes are done...

Today I was WFH. It was an okay day work-wise.

I washed and dried a blanket

I have a lunch ‘to go’ in the fridge
    I made a gorgeous chicken curry even if I say so myself
    I made brown rice and kale and an avocado, tahini and garlic dressing. Yum.
    I toasted some pumpkin seeds with honey and tamari.

I have still not had crisps. I still have not had any dairy

I ate some chocolate but it was 85% and I did not binge. I went out and drank a little of someone else’s cocktail. Oh, and I ate 1 truffle (again someone else’s) at a restaurant. Maybe the way forward is to steal other people's naughty food?

The restaurant I went to was on the 32nd floor of the Shard. What views! I had blackened cod and asparagus and did not order a pudding. The meal was paid for me as a treat. It was an amazing supper for my friend’s birthday. A lovely treat and a good start to the year after a miserable Christmas

My evening meal is a turkey salad with sweet potato chips with the avocado dressing

My dining room (where I also work) is a complete tip. Hmmm, working on it this evening

It is a long time to pay day. Just saying…
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 10th Jan 18, 6:47 PM
    • 2,316 Posts
    • 14,722 Thanks
    parsniphead
    You're so glamourous. The Shard eh! I think I'm posh at weatherspoons.

I'm not sure naughty food counts if it's someone else's. I'm sure it classed as zero calories.

I hope you wake up well tomorrow. Migraines must be so debilitating.
    Nothing gets better until you get better.

2018 My year of creation, living life and learning.

The purpose of life is to create a life of purpose. Richard Gregg
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 10th Jan 18, 7:41 PM
    • 1,112 Posts
    • 6,107 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Get you DIA , how posh, lunch at the Shard. I must say Cloud 21 the Hilton in Manchester is about as close as I can get to that. Seriously though what a great treat .

Maybe you should use paper plates , plastic cutlery when you are so busy (hehe)

Your food always sound really nice , have a good evening.
    Jan 2018 CC1 £3099 CC2 £258

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Jan 18, 8:10 PM
    • 2,391 Posts
    • 11,258 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    You're so glamourous. The Shard eh! I think I'm posh at weatherspoons.
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    I know! My piece of fish cost more than my weekly shop!
    Get you DIA , how posh, lunch at the Shard. I must say Cloud 21 the Hilton in Manchester
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    Great name for a restaurant...
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Jan 18, 9:27 PM
    • 49,570 Posts
    • 186,689 Thanks
    beanielou
    Wow,The Shard
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 11th Jan 18, 9:43 AM
    • 1,332 Posts
    • 4,346 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Ooh your cod sounds lovely! I do love a nice meal out at a swish restaurant, although it's been a while. For my husband's 30th I took him to Tom Kitchin's restaurant (Michelin star x1 I believe) and it was the most exciting dining experience we've ever had. The food was immense, the place was stunning, the service was impeccable and the gin was a delight. It was almost £100 for a 3 course lunch and a couple of drinks though... Hence why we haven't been back there in 2 years!

Hope the migranes have done a bunk - you don't need to be sitting in the office with a sore head, just torture.

Your meals sound both delicious and healthy - I am very jealous!
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3544.32 £300.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4781 £295 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £11,954 (£3,156 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £20,129 | Total debt paid: £3,703 (16%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Jan 18, 8:21 PM
    • 2,391 Posts
    • 11,258 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Ooh your cod sounds lovely! I do love a nice meal out at a swish restaurant, although it's been a while.

Hope the migranes have done a bunk - you don't need to be sitting in the office with a sore head, just torture.

Your meals sound both delicious and healthy - I am very jealous!
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    Been a while for me too!
    I woke up migraine free today, so blooming relieved
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Jan 18, 8:30 PM
    • 2,391 Posts
    • 11,258 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    the squirrels are back
    So, from the dizzy heights of The Shard to the low of squirrels in my loft.

I had a sleepless night due to the constant scratching and banging.

I called in the heavies and they will phone me and arrange to come to give me a free quote. I will take it from there but there will be a big cost. This might interfere with my debt free debt and that makes me sad.

Going to hoover and clean the dining room and wash dishes this evening to combat my negative energy.

On the positive side at least I have I can remedy this. This time last year I would have been helpless in this situation...

I will be sleeping on my sofa tonight as I can't bear the noise of them scratching around.

I cracked tonight and had a full glass of wine and some pudding But as parsniphead might say it is a piece of cake and a glass of wine not crack...

Feeling a bit low but I think it is being tired and the squirrel issue. I will get this sorted. It will all be okay.

Hoping your day was free of vermin...
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 11-01-2018 at 8:33 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Jan 18, 8:37 PM
    • 49,570 Posts
    • 186,689 Thanks
    beanielou
    Yes, The Kitchin in Leith is a Michelin.
    Well worth a visit.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 11th Jan 18, 9:32 PM
    • 879 Posts
    • 5,035 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Oh no for the squirrels being back. Infuriating for you.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 15th Jan 18, 2:27 PM
    • 2,391 Posts
    • 11,258 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Oh no for the squirrels being back. Infuriating for you.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Thanks Redo
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 15th Jan 18, 2:27 PM
    • 2,391 Posts
    • 11,258 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    a cut price facial
    Hello people,

Low mood and not motivated. Same old, same old. Is a run of dry and bright weather too much to ask for? Apparently yes.

Managed work, but as soon as I have a day off work I seem to shut down even more.

Forced myself to check my bank account. Not overdrawn so all is okay for now.

Emptied my silver change piggy and there was £9 in there. It helps.

Booked a facial at the training salon for £12. This year I have promised myself a beauty treatment a month. I don’t feel like it but I have to create something positive from today. I have not had a facial for 8 years. Haha, not even joking

Travel already paid for as I got a pass for work

Going to buy a cauliflower and any veg and fruit I see that is cheap

I made Thai chicken curry with some YS chicken strips. Always comes out great

Hope everyone out there is okay
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 15th Jan 18, 4:09 PM
    • 1,332 Posts
    • 4,346 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Your bargain facial sounds delightful! I hope it helps to lift your spirits

Sorry to hear about the squirrels - hope they are sorted out pronto!

Your Thai chicken curry sounds delightful - enjoy.
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3544.32 £300.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4781 £295 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £11,954 (£3,156 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £20,129 | Total debt paid: £3,703 (16%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 15th Jan 18, 4:50 PM
    • 879 Posts
    • 5,035 Thanks
    redofromstart
    The facial sounds good, and do share your method for the thai curry please.
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 15th Jan 18, 8:09 PM
    • 3,302 Posts
    • 8,503 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Grrr to squirrels - have you considered adopting a large grumpy cat? It might work out cheaper than human intervention! (mine have both chased squirrels, even though they are about the same size as small cat!)

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... MFW progress 2.3%

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 15th Jan 18, 9:39 PM
    • 2,391 Posts
    • 11,258 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Your bargain facial sounds delightful! I hope it helps to lift your spirits
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    Bargain facial was good. During it I thought it was not so great but on finishing and looking at my skin I can see it is much improved, and it feels ridiculously soft. I keep touching it…

My next treatment will be a Swedish massage. This costs £12 for an hour’s full body. I have not had a massage since a Shiatsu massage over 10 years ago. I know!

The facial sounds good, and do share your method for the thai curry please.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Thai red curry is a lazy cheat as I use a paste. I fry it in coconut oil then add onions and whatever veg I have (but only use one type) then I add coconut milk and chicken stock (fresh/home made) then I add the uncooked chicken pieces. Twenty minutes and it is done. It is best with lots of fresh coriander as a garnish. Total yum and a foolproof standby.
    Grrr to squirrels - have you considered adopting a large grumpy cat? It might work out cheaper than human intervention! (mine have both chased squirrels, even though they are about the same size as small cat!)
    Rosa xx
    Originally posted by RosaBernicia
    So stressed about the damned squirrels that I don’t even want to go there…
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 16th Jan 18, 10:57 AM
    • 2,391 Posts
    • 11,258 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    up the garden path
    Just received my debt statement. Funny to see the closer I get to paying it all off the higher my available credit is climbing. It is as if they are panicked at the thought of losing me to the light

A friend phoned me to talk about the front garden of my house. She left me a parcel a few weeks ago and saw it. She volunteered to come over and help me clear the front garden. In the end she shared the number of a gardener who I called today to arrange a quote. I was not offended (although a bit embarrassed) I was touched she cared enough to take the time to talk to me about it.

I have now recalled the council to do a bulky waste collection and put in a complaint that they did not pick it up despite 3 attempts.

I have made contact with the gardener and will try him again this evening.

Embarrassment can be a galvanising force as it has forced me to take action.

I hope your day is going well reader.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 16th Jan 18, 2:50 PM
    • 2,391 Posts
    • 11,258 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    action
    Getting stuff done

ordered new bulky waste collection
    washed up and packed away x3
    read meters and called them in
    washing done and drying
    cooker cleaned
    turkey cooked for salads
    complaint to local authority re not collecting waste
    decluttered a chair
    leave booked for massage

I think the sun motivates me to get stuff done
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,974Posts Today

10,440Users online

Martin's Twitter