Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    • 2,197Posts
    • 10,178Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Dancing in the Rain
    • 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    Dancing in the Rain 14th Jan 16 at 5:50 PM
    Four years ago I was transitioning from freelance creative work to being an employee. I had rising debts because my outgoings exceeded my rubbish freelance income and I couldn't find a job. My home had repairs I couldn’t do. I felt as if my life was in a downwards spiral.

There have been/will be changes good and not so good and these changes have prompted my new diary.

GOOD CHANGES:

I’ve made some progress on emergency repairs and now have a wonderful new boiler (so I am warm!)

I work for a brilliant charity and have done for the last 3.5 years. I know I could earn more, but I enjoy my work, I do something worthwhile and it fits in with other things I want to achieve that are equally important to me. They are now agreeing (from March 2016) to me working full time with 2 days working from home. This is a work balance that will allow me to be creative, and improve my income so I can achieve my 2016 goals

This is the year I become mortgage free.

NOT SO GOOD CHANGES:

My debt has increased from £12,000 to £24,822

After much thought I have realised what my priorities should be for 2016. I want a dog and a small car and a trip to New York but those are WANTS that I can’t have, at least not this year…

I have set goals for 2016 and these goals work towards my overall plan for 2020. Each year there will be an overarching priority and 2016 my priority is HOUSE. I have a schedule of works from which I will set house goals

House, decluttering,creativity, social, house, health, finances, nurturing, environment, organisation and future self

I will also do a weekly, how I saved money this week update on Fridays

I sound frighteningly organised don’t I? This is me getting serious…but I have a real problem dealing with workmen and having them in them in my home!!!! so I'm also bit of a coward-custard deep down too

This isn’t always going to be fun, I get that. But no more putting my head down and waiting for the storm to pass. As often as I can I will get out there and dance in the rain!

Come and support me when you can
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 27-11-2017 at 9:52 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/November 2017=3,500
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Page 100
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 29th Nov 17, 6:47 PM
    • 49,035 Posts
    • 182,026 Thanks
    beanielou
    It's my legs really beanie. I like the thin long-john type thermals And I wonder why I am single

I would be fine with some 80s style leg warmers
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    I am the same on all levels

I wear knee high socks
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 29th Nov 17, 7:59 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 3,510 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Me too with the socks beanie, indeed I have my thin thermals ticked into my knee high walking socks. Big fan of many layers too - thermal vest, long line vest, long sleeved thin cotton top, jumper, cardigan...
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 29th Nov 17, 8:26 PM
    • 2,197 Posts
    • 10,178 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    What a stylish bunch we are on here
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 29th Nov 17, 8:55 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 3,510 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I try to hide it in the invisible bottom layers if I leave the house - Today I have newish jeans over the top of the thermals, the jumper is thin and fitted, and the cardigan is my pretty new hip length cashmere one so its not as hideous as it sounds. I usually tone a scarf or a necklace with the longer length top for work so the outfit pulls together but I can't function when I am cold. What I really want is some attractive thin fingerless gloves but they are either very expensive or very ugly.

i remember leg warmers, my grandmother used to knit them for me. I of course wore nothing but jeans and t-shirts through the winter, just like my boys. When do we start feeling the cold? I was ok until I lost a lot of weight in my 30s and have never been warm since.
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 29th Nov 17, 10:16 PM
    • 3,267 Posts
    • 8,398 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    No thermals here just yet - and if you have a knitting friend then pretty fingerless gloves may be available (mine are from my mum!).

Small cat is happy to sit on me but apparently purrs loud enough to be heard on Skype

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... MFW progress 2.3%

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 30th Nov 17, 10:57 AM
    • 1,278 Posts
    • 4,164 Thanks
    JoJoC
    I'm beginning to wish I'd invested in thermals! I'm going away this weekend and it's to be -4!! Will just need to make do with layers and a big jacket ...

Hope all is well with you...
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3554.32 £250.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4829.43 £245 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £12,369.24 (£2,631.76 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £20,752 | Total debt paid: £3,080 (13%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 30th Nov 17, 5:43 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 3,510 Thanks
    redofromstart
    RosaBernica - good thinking, I'm not great at knitting but might have a try myself: found a pattern here from Elaine that I have been meaning to try for ages.

JoJo - lots of layers seems to be key.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 2nd Dec 17, 11:22 AM
    • 2,197 Posts
    • 10,178 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    nice apples and a hat
    I am glad to see you are all finding inventive ways to keep warm

Good morning campers

Today I am WFH and trying to stay warm!

I will be making a miso veggie soup with veggies left in the bottom of my fridge. I will wash out the bottom of the fridge veg tray too

I have discovered some gorgeous organic apples. I love apples and they are so transportable. Going to buy some more today, so that I always have something to eat on my person. A good, crunchy, sweet apple is nicer to me than chocolate but less easy to get hold of. Should be good for my waistline.

I saved money yesterday by walking instead of taking transport for part of the journey.

I saved money by not eating a meal when I was out last night

I spent on 2 coffees and 2 pieces of cake for a friend. £8.50. I treated another friend to a cup of tea on Thursday, so £10 plus…

I am going to replenish my apple supply later and I will also be YS hunting with the change in my purse.

I am going to buy a hat and gloves and thermals after work too. They are expensive but it will help keep me from burning so much gas and electric in the long run. Anyway, being cold makes me unhappy so I won’t do it, even in the name of frugality

Stay warm everyone
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 2nd Dec 17, 5:42 PM
    • 49,035 Posts
    • 182,026 Thanks
    beanielou
    So agree on the cold making me unhappy.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 2nd Dec 17, 8:16 PM
    • 2,197 Posts
    • 10,178 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    evening update
    WFH today.

I made soup

I also made chickpea pancakes. I added YS coconut yoghurt and it seemed to work well

YS shopping after work:

I was good today. I was not tempted by non reduced items (except for apples and they were planned) and even reduced items that did not seem good buys I put back even though they were 75% off

I only bought freezable good quality protein

Pineapple Chipotle Salsa was £5 now 50p. Bought 9 jars for £4.50. Sort of saved £40.50p although I never would have bought a jar for £5 in the first place so not really a true bargain…I LOVE this stuff.

Sirloin was £8.70 bought for £2.20
    Lamb neck fillet 4.25 to 1.30
    Loin chops 3.85 to 1.00
    Flowers 7.00 to 70p (very fresh too)
    Figs 2.75 to 70p
    Fennel 1.00 25p
    Chicken breasts cooked 4.25 to 1.00

I also bought a hat for a fortune, very plain, but it was cashmere and I love it so no regrets. It is so warm
    I could not afford the gloves too so going to wash and use what I have

Thermals (long johns) from M&S. A bit pricey but recommended to me…we shall see…

A send day, but all good spending

Well off to put my flowers in water
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 02-12-2017 at 8:31 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 2nd Dec 17, 8:27 PM
    • 49,035 Posts
    • 182,026 Thanks
    beanielou
    Blimey, some fabarooni bargains there

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 2nd Dec 17, 9:25 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 3,510 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Deeply envious of the cashmere hat!
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 3rd Dec 17, 5:43 PM
    • 2,197 Posts
    • 10,178 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    shrinking myself
    Once again this debt free community has got me thinking

So, I will not be DF before the end of the year. A disappointment? Yes actually.
    But I read Parsniphead has lost a stone and INOD is steadily shedding too (Way to go Parsniphead and INOD ) so I thought I would go for a different goal to make up for the one I will not meet...

So, to give me a new focus I am going to lose 8 lbs before the year ends and go below my current stone. It will free-up more clothes and take me to a weight I haven't been since the beginning of 2004. That will make up for missing out on my goal and boost my spirits.

So, going back to IF eating as it works for me. I will also drink more water and up my veggies. I will be walking around with apples and eating lots of YS fish

This is still a MSE goal as the result will be access to more clothes that I already have instead of buying new ones

A happy Sunday to you all
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 03-12-2017 at 5:47 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Dec 17, 5:49 PM
    • 49,035 Posts
    • 182,026 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy Sunday to you too
    A very ambitious target~~I wish you well with it.
    I lost a stone in October/ November.

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 3rd Dec 17, 5:55 PM
    • 2,197 Posts
    • 10,178 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Well done Beanie. An average of half a stone a month. I hope to do the same
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 3rd Dec 17, 7:24 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 4,552 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    All you lot losing weight, well done. I think I have lost a few pound since my tum has been misbehaving., however I am feeling better .

I always have a vest on in the winter even at work. I can always take it off if I get so hot. I do need a new hat and gloves , but hoping Father Christmas brings them.

Your soup sounded lovely.
    Nov 2017 CC1 £3329 CC2 £600

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 3rd Dec 17, 8:17 PM
    • 2,197 Posts
    • 10,178 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thanks Cumbria. Glad you are feeling better.

My weight has been a slow downwards climb but thinking if I up the exercise...I can give it a jumpstart.
    Exercise has ground to a halt so I am switching to mornings (before I have time to talk myself out of it)

My thermal leggings were the wrong size so they are going back. Annoying.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 4th Dec 17, 2:01 PM
    • 1,278 Posts
    • 4,164 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Hi DIA, I haven't stopped by for a while, although I have been reading as always.

Great to see that you're setting yourself an achieveable 2017 target - I think it's the right thing in terms of keeping your motivation up.

You mentioned you won't be DF by the end of the year - do you have a realistic estimate of when that will be achieved?

Love to see all your bargains - I rarely get lucky with YS bargains. I must shop at the wrong time of day!
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3554.32 £250.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4829.43 £245 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £12,369.24 (£2,631.76 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £20,752 | Total debt paid: £3,080 (13%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 5th Dec 17, 8:42 AM
    • 2,197 Posts
    • 10,178 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    You mentioned you won't be DF by the end of the year - do you have a realistic estimate of when that will be achieved?
    Love to see all your bargains - I rarely get lucky with YS bargains. I must shop at the wrong time of day!
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    Thanks for stopping by JoJo. I should be DF in February as long as no disasters occur as I have very little as a savings buffer and no credit card so if there is an emergency I am in trouble. Hopefully all will be well.

As for YS bargains it is necessary for now, but time consuming and I've noticed lately people are becoming 'snatchy' sometimes. I get that times are getting tougher but I refuse to behave badly over reduced food. Planning to return to my veggie box and small quantities of organic meat and frozen fish (Iceland are good for this) I will be pleased to leave the YSs unless I happen to see them and there aren't other people waiting too.

I want to get to a stage where I am not in shops very much in future.

I know you have a busy week coming up. I hope all goes well
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 5th Dec 17, 10:17 AM
    • 2,197 Posts
    • 10,178 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    skivving
    Morning Campers

I woke up dreading work today, even though it is a WFH day. My mood is dipping so I need to take action.

So, I asked for a day’s annual leave as I would have felt guilty calling in sick and feeling guilty would have spoiled my day.

Yesterday I took a blind back to IKEA that had been cluttering up my hallway. It was the wrong size and before this journey I would have left it for ages, lost the receipt and in the end it would have gone to the CS. Not now! I took it back and the right sized blind is now hanging up in the kitchen

I put out rubbish from the garden and stuff that needs a special collection at the front of the house.

I’ve got some random veg so I’m going to make a Thai veggie curry to have with toasted cashews and millet and coriander. Still got some coconut yoghurt left. It is very old but smells okay and yoghurt is already off so going to risk it

Today will be dry so I did a wash load that I have put out on the rack

So, a free day for me. I am going to take my decluttered CS bag to the CS, have a coffee in a coffee shop, read and update my bullet journal.

I hope you all have a successful week

DIA
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

254Posts Today

1,252Users online

Martin's Twitter