Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • peadar
    • By peadar 8th Jan 16, 7:57 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 22Thanks
    peadar
    Caught turning on airport double red lines by camera van
    • 8th Jan 16, 7:57 PM
    Caught turning on airport double red lines by camera van 8th Jan 16 at 7:57 PM
    I picked my son up this evening from Liverpool Airport, where the approach roads are double red-lined (and fairly well signed as such). I had arranged to meet in Drop Off 2 carpark (first 20 minutes are free), took the signposted turning for it but couldn't find it and turned around in an entrance to retrace my route. As I did so and waited for traffic before turning, I saw him running along just behind me and let him climb in.

Of course, the Vehicle Control van appeared on cue, and I'm expecting a £100 fine in the post. Peel Holdings use cameras for evidence of breach of car park T&Cs (I don't think it's a 'fine' as such).

I suspect that because of the Supreme Court ruling on 4 November 2015 basically okaying private parking fines, they would ultimately go to County Court. Which nowadays is just getting someone to fill in forms online. Is it worth complaining or contesting in light of the recent ruling?
Page 4
    • yotmon
    • By yotmon 22nd Sep 16, 11:16 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    yotmon

Now I've actually bothered reading some of the BW Legal form letters from the past few months, it's very clear that they have zero knowledge of my previous correspondence anyway.
    Originally posted by peadar
    And that is exactly the case ! They have sent out hundreds of letters chasing old VCS/Excel debts. All copy and pasted, some slightly tweeked if sent as a reply. Your letter will be the same as hundreds sent out before. I also agree with you that the majority of these letters are just debt collector bluff, but BWLegal I believe have taken the matter further and issued court papers. Whether they have the nerve to attempt a JLA case in the courts is anybodies guess. We all wait in hope !
    • peadar
    • By peadar 23rd Sep 16, 12:32 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    peadar
    I don't particularly want to stop a claim being filed, and am therefore concerned with winning in court rather than with delaying or preventing them going to court.

I've been to court before and won (and I'm pretty confident of winning in this case).

In any case court is no big deal. Worst-case scenario and I somehow lose, it costs a few hundred quid. The real worst-case scenario for me is that they get to waste my time for six years.
    • yotmon
    • By yotmon 23rd Sep 16, 3:26 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    yotmon
    Yes, but as I said in a previous post, you cannot force someone to sue you. It is entirely up to them if they use the court system to pursue your 'debt'. As long as punters continue to pay their ridiculous demands, then VCS will never have the need to raise their head above the parapet within a court room.
    I agree that if both parties are at loggerheads over the payment of an alleged debt, then the logical answer should be for it to be taken to a court. As long as you continue to deny the debt outright, then it will be their responsibility to explain why it has taken so long to reach court.

BWLegal said in their letter to me " Our client now requires full payment of the balance in 10 days from the date of this letter, failing which our client has instructed us to commence County Court proceedings against you".

Yet, in a reply dated 25 days later, they say "Please note our initial letter is a pre legal letter and not a Letter before action".

So, all bluff and bluster - just the same as any other debt recovery letter. I wouldn't be surprised if they have 'sold' the rights to their headed notepaper and it is in fact VCS sending out these letters. Especially when both a VCS letter saying that the matter has been passed to BW and a BW letter requesting payment were/are being sent out together in the same flaming envelope !
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 23rd Sep 16, 5:36 PM
    • 10,260 Posts
    • 15,120 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Why not issue VCS with an invoice for your wasted time in dealing with this (£19ph litigant in person court rate), but be sensible - say 4 hours. Then if they don't pay you, sue them - LBA followed by a MCOL - see them in court.

Punch a bully on the nose, then see how brave they are! You take control.

But you take your chance at the roulette wheel of the county court, where the odds are about 50:50.
    NEWBIES - wise up - DO NOT IGNORE A PARKING CHARGE NOTICE - you have been warned!

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Please note: I am NOT involved in any 'paid for' appeals service.
    • The Slithy Tove
    • By The Slithy Tove 23rd Sep 16, 8:50 PM
    • 2,999 Posts
    • 4,184 Thanks
    The Slithy Tove
    This is never going to end up in a court. It is well known on the forums that the PPC case at airports is very dodgy indeed, and no PPC is going to want their scam tested and investigated in a court room. Pepipoo has a fighting fund of pledges just waiting for a PPC to be daft enough to launch such a claim.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,799Posts Today

9,011Users online

Martin's Twitter